Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2137334 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1900 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:19 am »
+2

I was frequently surprised that promos weren't expansion-dependent. It seems like you'd want to promote the recent expansions.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 01, 2015, 11:20:14 am »
+1

I was frequently surprised that promos weren't expansion-dependent. It seems like you'd want to promote the recent expansions.

But then why weren't the promos just part of the expansion?  Then you feel like you're missing something.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 01, 2015, 11:26:51 am »
+2

But then why weren't the promos just part of the expansion?  Then you feel like you're missing something.

Haven't you ever heard of Day 1 DLC?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 01, 2015, 11:48:49 pm »
+2

al-tar or awl-turr?
I pronounce it normally. Try to stay focused on questions that it would be even remotely interesting for me to answer.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:17 pm »
+2

You've given your reasons, here and elsewhere, why you wouldn't consider another expansion with potion-cost cards.  Is there a chance we'd ever get a potion-cost promo card?
I would have considered it right then, around when Alchemy came out. It would suck if there was one now. Here's a promo you can avoid getting at all excited about.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: March 02, 2015, 12:01:59 am »
+5

Promos suck. It's straightforward. If the promo is good, then yes, why isn't it in an expansion, any expansion? Put the good cards in expansions please. If the promo sucks, why bother at all? You can make a special case for wacky things, it's not in the expansion because it's wacky but maybe some people will like it. Then you have the issue of, the rules tend to be especially confusing for wacky things and you aren't managing to hold onto the piece of paper with the rules for the promo. Yes in this enlightened era there is the internet.

Envoy wasn't good enough for Intrigue and still isn't. Black Market was too wacky and well it still needs to be fixed up, though it's a fun card that it's nice got to exist. Stash is the perfect promo: just wacky enough to bother some people who are happier having it as a promo they can avoid getting, just wacky enough to seem special, and in the end not interesting enough to miss having in an expansion. Walled Village wasn't good enough for Guilds and still isn't. Governor was made to cross-promote Puerto Rico and is a good enough card that it should be in an expansion (probably tweaked to be less automatic of a purchase). Prince was made when there were no expansions so that's one case where it was fine to have something cool that wasn't in an expansion.

The first two Kingdom Builder promos, Capitol and Caves, were from expansions that they would have been in. They were good and those expansions missed out by not getting to include those things. The third, Island, was an outtake from the 4th expansion and still isn't good enough.

Gauntlet of Fools got 3 promos and that was nice, because it never got an expansion. So really that's the good situation for promos: when there's no expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 02, 2015, 12:03:09 am »

You've given your reasons, here and elsewhere, why you wouldn't consider another expansion with potion-cost cards.  Is there a chance we'd ever get a potion-cost promo card?
I would have considered it right then, around when Alchemy came out. It would suck if there was one now. Here's a promo you can avoid getting at all excited about.

Do you feel the design space for Potion-cost cards has been fully explored, or do you have more ideas if it were feasible to do more?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: March 02, 2015, 12:17:20 am »

Have you ever had to stop everything and change the rules mid-game because you realized something going wrong?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 02, 2015, 12:30:09 am »
+1

Do you feel the design space for Potion-cost cards has been fully explored, or do you have more ideas if it were feasible to do more?
Well they really aren't that limited. It's bad if too many of them make you build slow chaining decks, like the ones in Alchemy do, but any given one can be a slow chaining card. A Potion-coster's thing is that it needs to be playable in multiples when there are no other Potion-costers out; it wants to either have +1 action or more, or play actions directly, or be a VP card or treasure, or be a Remodel/Vault, or be really expensive. With a few extra more obscure niches. There's no special limit on how many cards like that you can make; they're normal cards that every expansion has.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:32 am »
+8

Have you ever had to stop everything and change the rules mid-game because you realized something going wrong?
Yes, I've blown it on a phrasing so that something was sufficiently messed up that it made sense to just immediately switch to what it should have been. Other times we've just abandoned the game or lived with the messed up thing. It depends. Maybe somebody was counting on the messed-up part and would have done completely different things if they'd worked out that obviously the card couldn't be whatever it was; or maybe no-one has gotten the card yet or considered this angle and I spot it and explain how oops that's no good. Maybe there's an outside chance it's not too messed up so it seems worth playing out.

We've also set up, and I put out the new card to play with, and we chat about it, and it's clear it doesn't work, without having tried it yet.

It's really just a contest between getting useful playtesting done and having people be happy with the games being played. I have to keep people happy enough to stay at my table. And aside from that would prefer to get useful playtesting done.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 02, 2015, 03:05:27 am »
+1

Can you design your next game with aliens, dinosaur cops and a victory condition that involves colouring a picture with crayons.

There's a huge gap in the market there!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: March 02, 2015, 09:23:50 am »
+1

Can you design your next game with aliens, dinosaur cops and a victory condition that involves colouring a picture with crayons.

I'm sorry, Mr. Triceratops, you need a permit for those horns.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 02, 2015, 04:49:01 pm »
+9

Well, Temporum has aliens, dinosaurs, and cops. I'm getting there.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 04, 2015, 05:10:56 pm »

Dinosaur
Action - $8
+$2
You may immediately put your deck into your discard pile.
+1 Buy
+$2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards. Put those Treasure cards in your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.
+$P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:40:18 am by spiralstaircase »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 04, 2015, 06:57:47 pm »
+4

Dinosaur
Action - $8
+$2
You may immediately put your deck into your discard pile.
+1 Buy
+ $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck and either discards it or puts it back, your choice.
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards. Put those Treasure cards in your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.
+$P

Temporum
Action - $6

Choose one: +2 cards; or +$4; or play a card from your hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »

Given that LastFootnote is a playtester, is there any likelihood of his fan expansion getting an official release?  Perhaps a better question, have you played with any of his cards?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:47 pm »
+6

Given that LastFootnote is a playtester, is there any likelihood of his fan expansion getting an official release?  Perhaps a better question, have you played with any of his cards?

No. No. I feel like Donald has made it super clear that he doesn't consider fan cards at all.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 06, 2015, 06:49:22 pm »

No. No. I feel like Donald has made it super clear that he doesn't consider fan cards at all.

But LastFootnote is a playtester now, and Donald has added playtester suggested cards before.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:20 pm »
+7

LF has affected some cards, as you will see in the Secret History of Adventures, and conceivably he might suggest a new card that made it into a set someday if there are more sets, as a couple people have managed in the past. A whole expansion by someone else, I dunno, it never sounds great to me, I would put in a lot of the same work as if I made it, without the best part. It's conceivable that someday I will co-author an expansion with another world famous game designer; until that happens the chance of an entire fan expansion is just so remote (and afterwards, it's still not great).

I have not played with any of LF's cards, although I know an outtake from Adventures was very similar to one of his cards (discard any number of cards, draw up to 7, each other player draws up to 6).

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:24 pm »

I have not played with any of LF's cards, although I know an outtake from Adventures was very similar to one of his cards (discard any number of cards, draw up to 7, each other player draws up to 6).
I'm taking one of those for my next Governor deck. :D
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: March 07, 2015, 09:18:40 am »
+2

That got taken out?!  :'(
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: March 07, 2015, 10:07:32 am »
+2

Are the translated versions of the expansion planned to release at the same time as the English one?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 07, 2015, 02:28:52 pm »
+8

That got taken out?!  :'(

After a while, nobody was buying it. It looked too weak or was too weak. Or both. And hey, you can always just use my version, which continues to be popular in my playtest games (it has a different bonus for other players). Donald already knows about it, so hopefully it's fine to just post the link here.

I did suggest two Reserve cards early on because I obviously wasn't going to use them for Enterprise. Donald did take the time to critique them, which I appreciate. They did not end up being tested an any form. I took the Reserve part completely out of one of them and it became Auction. I may fix up the other one someday, we'll see.

I appreciate that Donald is receptive to suggestions for card changes and sometimes for loose card concepts. I really don't see myself suggesting more specific cards just because the reception tends to be very cool. Donald really wants to be the guy that came up with these cards, and that is 100% his prerogative, and I have tried to respect that.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #1923 on: March 07, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »
+1

For the record, I personally liked that cut card.  It was really fun for Draw to X decks.  However, it was not overall very exciting.  I mean, it was a case of "this is just 3 cards slapped together that already existed" and didn't fit the theme of the set in any way.  Maybe it could be tested again if a future set ever happens, who knows.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 07, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »
+2

NOOOOO that was one of my favorite cards from the meetup! I'm shocked it was found to be weak; I thought it was very strong. Well as long as all that other cards I liked are still in it... ;)

EDIT: I can't actually think of any cards I didn't like at the meetup, so never mind, I'm sure whatever cards he did keep are great.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:50:53 pm by liopoil »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.