Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2142178 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1875 on: February 23, 2015, 07:59:02 pm »
+2

play Dominion using slices of cheese, drawn on with food coloring.

Whoa hey, did Jay give you the go-ahead to reveal this upcoming Dominion product?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:55 pm »
+1

I play with the cheese. It does not play with me.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 24, 2015, 01:51:00 pm »

Dear Dr Vaccarino,

Lately I've noticed that I like talking about board games, reading about board games and arguing about board games much more than I like actually playing board games. What is wrong with me?

Confused
Albuquerque
It's not uncommon to find your game life missing a little spice as you get older. Here are some handy tips to help you out in the game room.

- Put on mood music. Perhaps the Queen album The Game, or something from Game Theory.
- Wear a special outfit. You could dress up like that guy from Monopoly, or a meeple.
- Get scented dice.
- You can make a game out of playing a game. Whoever wins the game, wins the game.
- Try playing games in public. It can be a real rush.
- Try unusual positions. In a game of Chess, group all of your pieces on the right side of the board. See where it leads you.
- Incorporate food into the action. Use gummi bears for meeples, or play Dominion using slices of cheese, drawn on with food coloring.
- Take a bath first. Man. I wasn't going to say anything but really. You don't have to fit a stereotype to be a gamer.
- Roleplay. "I go to my village... I visit the smithy..."
- Videotape yourself playing. Then you can put it online later as a podcast.

Wow. You just came up with all of this out of your head, didn't you? I am constantly amazed and bedazzled and captivated by your unique written style. Also, there is lots of great content for the "taken out of context" thread here.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 24, 2015, 01:54:47 pm »
+4

Dear Dr Vaccarino,

Lately I've noticed that I like talking about board games, reading about board games and arguing about board games much more than I like actually playing board games. What is wrong with me?

Confused
Albuquerque
It's not uncommon to find your game life missing a little spice as you get older. Here are some handy tips to help you out in the game room.

- Put on mood music. Perhaps the Queen album The Game, or something from Game Theory.
- Wear a special outfit. You could dress up like that guy from Monopoly, or a meeple.
- Get scented dice.
- You can make a game out of playing a game. Whoever wins the game, wins the game.
- Try unusual positions. In a game of Chess, group all of your pieces on the right side of the board. See where it leads you.
- Incorporate food into the action. Use gummi bears for meeples, or play Dominion using slices of cheese, drawn on with food coloring.
- Take a bath first. Man. I wasn't going to say anything but really. You don't have to fit a stereotype to be a gamer.

Wow. You just came up with all of this out of your head, didn't you? I am constantly amazed and bedazzled and captivated by your unique written style. Also, there is lots of great content for the "taken out of context" thread here.

Don't be too impressed, he has a team of writers standing beside him feeding him jokes and writing his lines.

The funny ones he keeps, the unfunny ones he sends to make NPH stand in his underpants.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »

We can go deeper...

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 24, 2015, 01:58:28 pm »
+3

We can go deeper...

DAMNIT, just lost the game

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 24, 2015, 02:55:39 pm »

Dear Dr Vaccarino,

Confused
Albuquerque

- Get scented dice.

Don't be too impressed, he has a team of writers standing beside him feeding him jokes and writing his lines.

It's funny that at some point i wanted to claim you had this, but forgot.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 24, 2015, 03:05:05 pm »
+3

Dear Dr Vaccarino,

Confused
Albuquerque

- Get scented dice.

It's funny that at some point i wanted to claim you had this, but forgot.

Nope, I am an automated reply machine

You just failed the Turin test!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: February 24, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »
+9

Is that the test where you try to determine whether the entity in the box is a human or the burial shroud of Jesus?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 24, 2015, 05:46:23 pm »
+1

Is that the test where you try to determine whether the entity in the box is a human or the burial shroud of Jesus?

No, it's the test where you state whether you are a fan of Juventus or not and if you are you get a dirty look.

-- edited because I felt bad --
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:47:28 pm by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »

Is there a gaming convention that Adventures will be released at, as has been done with expansions since... well, I think all of them?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:57 pm »
+6

Is there a gaming convention that Adventures will be released at, as has been done with expansions since... well, I think all of them?

<Donald X Voice>
I only know as much as the rest of you. I guess Jay will announce it when he is ready, because, well, its up to him.

</Donald X Voice>

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #1887 on: February 25, 2015, 02:05:09 pm »
+1

<Donald X Voice>
I only know as much as the rest of you. I guess Jay will announce it when he is ready, because, well, its up to him.

</Donald X Voice>

Now that is just eerie
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 25, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
+4

Agh jsh what happened to your face!?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:25 pm »
+5

<Donald X Voice>

Squeeze: Messed Around

</Donald X Voice>

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: February 25, 2015, 02:17:08 pm »

He got Promoted.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:51 pm »
+2

I'm looking at a chart of cons, and not seeing one. There might be a small con, but Jay is less likely to go to one of those.

It will still be at cons though. That's a thing about cons. It will be at Origins and GenCon and whatever. It won't be new as of the con but it's still good to have it at the con.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 27, 2015, 01:40:41 pm »
+2

Sorry if this was brought up before, but did you intentionally name Altar as a pun on "alter"?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14:09 pm »
+8

Sorry if this was brought up before, but did you intentionally name Altar as a pun on "alter"?
No. Originally it was Foundry. At some point I renamed it to Tinker, then learned that tinkers worked with tin (hence the name) and were not around in the appropriate time period. I changed it to Altar specifically so that you could sacrifice Cultists on an altar.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:03 pm »

No. Originally it was Foundry. At some point I renamed it to Tinker, then learned that tinkers worked with tin (hence the name) and were not around in the appropriate time period. I changed it to Altar specifically so that you could sacrifice Cultists on an altar.

al-tar or awl-turr?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:57 pm »
+1

al-tar or awl-turr?

all-tər

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 27, 2015, 10:44:49 pm »

I'll tour.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 28, 2015, 12:57:42 am »
+5

I like the name "Altar" because it continues the minor subtheme of religious trashers from Chapel and Bishop.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 01, 2015, 08:20:22 am »

You've given your reasons, here and elsewhere, why you wouldn't consider another expansion with potion-cost cards.  Is there a chance we'd ever get a potion-cost promo card?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 01, 2015, 09:17:36 am »
+1

You've given your reasons, here and elsewhere, why you wouldn't consider another expansion with potion-cost cards.  Is there a chance we'd ever get a potion-cost promo card?

I'm not DXV, but the issue there is that it'd be a promo card dependent on another expansion, which means it would be useless to a lot of people. Not to mention many people disliked Potion cost cards, for one reason or another. Or in other words, as a promo it has mostly the same issues it would have in an expansion.

You could have it interact with Potions in a way that doesn't depend on them, maybe (similar to Apprentice), but that's about it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:19:01 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 21 queries.