Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127165 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1725 on: February 02, 2015, 05:41:00 pm »
+7

What would a "Donald X." Dominion card do?

That one is easy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 02, 2015, 07:26:59 pm »
+9

I was the original Knights randomizer card. Sir X. So, trash the top card of each other player's deck, and then something else moderately exciting, depending on the Knight.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 02, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »
+2

I was the original Knights randomizer card. Sir X. So, trash the top card of each other player's deck, and then something else moderately exciting, depending on the Knight.

I love that you're not even paraphrasing. That is pretty close to the exact wording on the original Sir X card.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 02, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »

Looking at those outtake sheets, I notice the original VP symbol is a crown, which seems entirely appropriate.
Was it changed to a shield because the colour of a crown is too close to the colour of a coin?
How did you choose the shield?
Were any other symbols considered?
What is the design on the shield (it looks like 4 playing card clubs in a cross to me)?
Does it bother you that it breaks the heraldic rule of tincture?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

Looking at those outtake sheets, I notice the original VP symbol is a crown, which seems entirely appropriate.
Was it changed to a shield because the colour of a crown is too close to the colour of a coin?
What is the design on the shield (it looks like 4 playing card clubs in a cross to me)?
I picked the crown, I liked the crown. I don't know why it was changed to a shield. A crown is better. If they considered other symbols they did not tell me about it.

I don't have any more information on the shield; I don't know what that's supposed to be. I don't know anything about heraldry; I have tried to get anachronisms fixed when I've spotted them. I don't even see the shield except when testing campaigns or something online; the prototype has crowns.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

I picked the crown, I liked the crown. I don't know why it was changed to a shield. A crown is better. If they considered other symbols they did not tell me about it.

I don't have any more information on the shield; I don't know what that's supposed to be. I don't know anything about heraldry; I have tried to get anachronisms fixed when I've spotted them. I don't even see the shield except when testing campaigns or something online; the prototype has crowns.

Does that sort of "executive meddling" bother you, or are you happy to leave design decisions to publishers?
Do you get more of a say in things now that you are a well-known creator of a smash hit game?

Can you give any examples of anachronisms that you fixed?
Any that made it into the final game?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 02, 2015, 10:16:07 pm »

The Poor House depicted in the artwork is definitely not contemporary with Knights and Wandering Minstrels.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 02, 2015, 11:09:20 pm »
+1

Does that sort of "executive meddling" bother you, or are you happy to leave design decisions to publishers?
Do you get more of a say in things now that you are a well-known creator of a smash hit game?

I will make any decisions they let me; I like everything the way I like it. How much I'm bothered depends on how badly they blow it; possibly they improve on something, that would be ideal. I wouldn't say I get more say now in general. It varies a lot from company to company. These days I have a lot of say on how things go at RGG; that doesn't mean they're going to send me all of the art sketches though, that's just more work.

The padlock on Philosopher's Stone is an example of an anachronism in the game. There was a gun on an Adventures card that I got taken out.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

I will make any decisions they let me; I like everything the way I like it. How much I'm bothered depends on how badly they blow it; possibly they improve on something, that would be ideal. I wouldn't say I get more say now in general. It varies a lot from company to company. These days I have a lot of say on how things go at RGG; that doesn't mean they're going to send me all of the art sketches though, that's just more work.

The padlock on Philosopher's Stone is an example of an anachronism in the game. There was a gun on an Adventures card that I got taken out.

Don't padlocks date back to the Roman Empire era?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:45 am »
+1

Yeah, but they didn't look like that, I don't think. The one in PStone looks pretty much like a modern padlock with the hole in the top for the lock to push into. I think that style is modern.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

petegeo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 03, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »

Is there going to be a tenth annversary expansion?

If yes: Large or small?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:00 pm »
+3

Cake
$π Inaction

This card is a lie.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 03, 2015, 04:53:15 pm »
+5

I can't remember Jay saying something about this...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »
+1

Yes, but my minimal research suggested that the style of padlock on Philosopher's Stone was post-medieval.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 03, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »
+3

The thing is, if I had any actual information then I would have to say, dude, any new products will be announced by RGG when they want to announce them. That's not my department; it's not up to me; I care more about RGG being pleased with those announcements than I do about you, petegeo, being pleased with them.

If I don't have any actual information then I have to say the same thing, or people can just keep asking if something is coming until I stop saying no.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:36 pm »
+6

The thing is, if I had any actual information then I would have to say, dude, any new products will be announced by RGG when they want to announce them. That's not my department; it's not up to me; I care more about RGG being pleased with those announcements than I do about you, petegeo, being pleased with them.

If I don't have any actual information then I have to say the same thing, or people can just keep asking if something is coming until I stop saying no.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: February 03, 2015, 05:22:59 pm »

Yeah I always hate it in movies when after someone says "I don't know", someone responds with  "you tell me if you did?" I mean, how can you answer that? If you say "no", then how can they believe your original "I don't know"?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

Hey, guys, one expansion at a time.  This one's a doozy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: February 03, 2015, 05:29:48 pm »
+2

This one's a doozy.

Hey, you're not supposed to give away the names of new cards!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: February 03, 2015, 05:32:10 pm »

This one's a doozy.

Er, I mean, a bombshell!  Crap, I MEAN

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: February 03, 2015, 05:34:57 pm »
+1

This one's a doozy.

Er, I mean, a bombshell!  Crap, I MEAN

Wait, Bomb is one of the new cards?  All is lost!  Donald has lost his mind!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: February 03, 2015, 05:36:42 pm »
+1

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »
+1

Sorry I couldn't get those swirly things on the side edited in. I'm sure it's possible.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: February 04, 2015, 05:28:14 am »

Sorry I couldn't get those swirly things on the side edited in. I'm sure it's possible.
Have you even read the fan card creation guide? This card should appropriately cost $0, or $1 at best, compare with Moat. I mean, duh.

Mr. Vaccarino, I assume Temporum will be released in Germany as well. Do you know when? I can't wait to play it!
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: February 04, 2015, 05:34:29 am »

Mr. Vaccarino, I assume Temporum will be released in Germany as well. Do you know when? I can't wait to play it!
I think it's coming out in Germany, but don't know when or for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.