Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126852 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1700 on: February 01, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »
+15

If you could talk to any food, and that food could respond, what food would you talk to and what would you say?

(I used this in a job interview once.  Phenomenal answer by the one I hired.)

Was his/her answer, "I think I'm going to go now. Thank you for your time"?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:45 pm »
+4

If you could talk to any food, and that food could respond, what food would you talk to and what would you say?

I'd ask a lobster how they feel about the fact that they evolved to have this great natural armor to protect themselves, yet humans are just like "screw it, we'll just boil it and crack that open", despite the fact that there is much more accessible food in the ocean.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 01, 2015, 08:33:16 pm »
+12

Was his/her answer, "I think I'm going to go now. Thank you for your time"?

As long as it wasn't "I'm doing it right now."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 01, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »

Obviously, the right answer would be some sort of food that you don't like, unless you are the kind of person that would revel in the screams of agony of, say, pizza.

If you are trying to "break the setup", another possible answer would be some sort of eadible arthropod, like spiders. Being able to speak to beings that can get anywhere and not be noticed would give you access to a great wealth of sensitive information, and from there the sky's the limit.

As long as it wasn't "I'm doing it right now."

Upvoting this and another random post of yours right now.

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 01, 2015, 08:41:52 pm »
+23

I'd talk to an omniscient pineapple, and ask it how to stop people from asking questions like this one.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 01, 2015, 09:58:17 pm »

What was the answer?  (Not asking Donald X.)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 01, 2015, 10:04:47 pm »

Did you have any input in the color scheme of the game?  Like, why are Victories green, why are Curses purple, etc.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 01, 2015, 10:13:48 pm »

Did you have any input in the color scheme of the game?  Like, why are Victories green, why are Curses purple, etc.

Ooh!  I know victories.  I remember him sometime saying that he just had a lot of green paper lying around.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 01, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »
+2

Land is green and a victorious color. Gold is golden (the stuff in treasure chests is yellow too) and curses are cast by witches which are purple. And yes, I am Donald X.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 01, 2015, 10:18:41 pm »
+7

Also time is orange and housing is red and rubble is brown and CENSORED is CENSORED. Oh and defense is blue, duh.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:21:14 pm by liopoil »

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: February 01, 2015, 10:19:26 pm »
+9

Apparently dominion gave liopoil synaesthesia.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: February 01, 2015, 10:39:25 pm »

Reactions are blue because moats are full of water.

I can't see an answer about purple or orange though, other than this generic answer about why different types have different colours in the first place.

1. Why is the background of Action - Reaction cards blue instead of White and Blue? It seems that either this or Treasure - Reaction or Action - Victory is "wrong", i.e., there seems to be no simple to explain convention regarding how to assign colors. Maybe a Treasure - Reaction was not planned when Moat got full blue background?
I remember answering this one on BGG, and hey here's that post.

Quote from: Donald X.
I did think of this back when, and mentioned it in case anyone cared.

In Dominion, color indicates type, but type doesn't always mean a color, and the Action type does not always have its color represented.

The way to think of this is in terms of functionality. Why have colors at all?

- Green lets you know that you don't need to look at those cards in your hand, they are doing nothing. And it helps you sort them at the end too.
- Yellow lets you know you can play that card in your buy phase.
- Blue lets you know that this card does something at an unusual time. Look at your hand, see if there's a blue card.
- Orange reminds you that this might stay out an extra turn instead of being discarded.

Curses didn't strictly need their own color but it seemed nice to help sort them and they got one. Attacks were originally pink but I switched to the default white there because that word "attack" didn't have any meaning. It's just there so cards can refer to it.

White is just the default color; an Action with nothing extra going on is white.

So then, why make Nobles etc. white-green? Because normally you can ignore victory cards in hand, that's their deal, but you don't want to ignore Nobles. So it reminds you that it's an action.

Whereas orange-white isn't needed for duration cards because the orange color doesn't mean "ignore this."

For Moat in particular, there it was as the only reaction in the main set. It did not want to be two colors, that seemed more confusing rather than less confusing.

The "when-gain" ability could have had a type and color, to help remind you to do something when you gain one. But then Mint couldn't have been in Prosperity, and I didn't consider this back then.

Anyway, Moat could have been blue-white, this did not go unnoticed but it did go undone.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:47 pm »
+2

Ooh!  I know victories.  I remember him sometime saying that he just had a lot of green paper lying around.
Correct.

In October 2006 I didn't have a color printer. I printed black & white images on colored paper. Actions were white because that was the most plentiful paper. Initially attacks were pink, the color that makes bulls mad (only not so dark that you can't read text printed on it). Treasures were obv. yellow like gold. Victory cards, you can say it's because land is green, but I had a bunch of green paper and so it was the obvious choice. Moats have water in them and initially it was the only reaction; so, blue. I didn't have endless color selection and that left purple for Curse / Confusion. I ended up not keeping attacks pink, because "attack" didn't have any functionality beyond cards getting to refer to it.

Initially duration cards didn't have a type or color - they just did something next turn. I had already done that kind of thing in multiple games (e.g. Greed has a couple and is from 2003). When Seaside was being more heavily tested, I gave them a type and color and picked orange just as a basic color I hadn't used yet. I was also thinking, well, they wanted to be blue for the Seaside flavor but couldn't be, but hey, orange, that's like sand.

Then in Dark Ages, since I hadn't used pink it was available for Shelters, and dark gray was an obvious candidate for Ruins. They're more red and brown in the published version and well they aren't in the prototype; I imagine Matthias Catrein made that call.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 01, 2015, 10:52:40 pm »

What was the answer?  (Not asking Donald X.)

Kebabs from the late night kebab stands, to apologize for the drunken antics of humans.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 01, 2015, 10:53:45 pm »

Victory cards, you can say it's because land is green, but I had a bunch of green paper and so it was the obvious choice.

Well, that suggests an interesting chicken-and-egg question.
Is it possible that the VPs are named after landholdings because the original VP cards were green?
I mean, were the original VP cards just nameless cards with points and you came up with the names later, or were they always called Estate/Duchy/Province?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 01, 2015, 11:19:51 pm »
+2

Victory cards, you can say it's because land is green, but I had a bunch of green paper and so it was the obvious choice.

Well, that suggests an interesting chicken-and-egg question.
Is it possible that the VPs are named after landholdings because the original VP cards were green?
I mean, were the original VP cards just nameless cards with points and you came up with the names later, or were they always called Estate/Duchy/Province?
Actually, day one VP cards were white and Action cards were green; I forgot about that but it's easier to remember when you're staring at the cards (I flipped through a box of outtakes that I kept one copy of in case I ever wanted to make a collage). I had a lot of green paper! When it became clear that I was going to endlessly make more Actions (but not so many new VP cards), I switched Actions to white and VP cards to green. My memory is originally VP cards were not named, but I don't know for sure. Probably I named them when I switched the colors. It was obvious that VP cards and treasures needed names, so cards could refer to them. I know treasures weren't named originally.

I don't think I ever had names other than Estate / Duchy / Province. I had always thought of the theme as kingdom building. The initial card mix involved castles so I called it Castle Builder (then we kept calling it that after I expanded outside the castle). When I named the VP cards I named them after tracts of lands though. Sir Bailey had the second copy of the game. He renamed the VP cards to parts of a castle, to fit the name.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: February 01, 2015, 11:50:38 pm »

When I named the VP cards I named them after tracts of lands though.

So... are you a Monty Python fan?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: February 02, 2015, 02:00:03 am »

Sure. I didn't even notice that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: February 02, 2015, 09:23:31 am »

Sure. I didn't even notice that.

Being clever is just second nature to you now.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: February 02, 2015, 09:29:59 am »
+1

Based on how this thread has been going, have you ever considered standup comedy?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

TheExpressicist

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +203
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:18 pm »

Do you want Dominion to gain the kind of widespread following that, for example, M:tG has? If not, why not? If so, what would you say has been the biggest obstacle to that goal?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: February 02, 2015, 04:43:07 pm »
+14

Based on how this thread has been going, have you ever considered standup comedy?
I've considered being a writer, and wrote an Airplane!-style comedy screenplay in the early oughts, which the Hinterlands blurb comes from. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

I did try a local stand-up competition when I was 16. It ran weekly. The first night, the top 3 people finished in the money, and I came in 4th. The next night, attendance was down, they split the money between the top 2; I came in 3rd. The next night, just the top guy got paid; I came in 2nd. I skipped the next week and they never had it again.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: February 02, 2015, 04:52:36 pm »
+9

Do you want Dominion to gain the kind of widespread following that, for example, M:tG has? If not, why not? If so, what would you say has been the biggest obstacle to that goal?
I would like Dominion to be all things to all people. The biggest obstacle is reality.

The game is done, you know, it's there on shelves, waiting for customers. I am not seeing much downside to people buying it. I don't even need to worry about negative aspects of fame; for most people the name on the box is a blind spot.

Magic has a lot more promotion, the Pro Tour and so on. It sells you cards you already have and don't want more of as a way to rake in cash; for one format it replaces "shuffle" with "open a new booster of cards." It's collectible. These are all significant things that aren't even about how the game plays. I don't see doing that stuff.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: February 02, 2015, 05:05:28 pm »
+8

If Dominion were to become a major national pastime, like football, with televised tournaments and adorable merchandising ("get yer Mountebank hats, right here!"), so that new expansions releases were practically a national holiday... I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten a question here.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:22 pm »

What would a "Donald X." Dominion card do?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.