Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127238 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1425 on: June 14, 2014, 12:41:46 am »

Would it be possible to have a sort of Outtakes expansion?  That is, have it contain all the promos, and some other cards you tinkered with that fit into main sets?  Not necessarily the "Treasure Chest" wet dream of so many on here that would require essentially the rules of every expansion, but just cards that didn't get in mainly due to space and time.  I'm curious mainly because the Promos available for individual sale are each the cost of a small expansion, which is kind of ridiculous.
I don't know where you are looking at prices for the promos; I just checked Black Market at BGG and it's $2.50.

The cards that weren't worth putting into expansions mostly aren't worth having. Getting good cards out of them requires as much additional work as just making new cards.

Aha.  I was looking at the "shop" option which has independent sellers.  I thought that was the BGG store.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:39 am »
+1

I would like some comments on the wording. Its weird. Having a Duration was not an option?
Some work went into that wording. It had to fit on the card and cover all of the problem cases. The parenthetical was essential to actually stop you from playing the card if it ran away (consider Throne / Feast). The Action goes into play and leaves again; man I tried "play it without putting it into play." And it looks for the Action being discarded because that's as close to a universal sign as there is that something weird isn't happening; it takes care of Throned duration cards and one-shots and set aside cards.

Logistical/printing issues aside, did you think about using a mat like Native Village?  So...
Set this aside.  If you do, you may put an Action card costing up to $4 on your Prince mat.
----------------
At the start of each of your turns, play the cards on your Prince mat in any order.  If you would discard any of them from play, instead return those cards to your Prince mat.
That feels less wordy than the real Prince to me, and it handles runaway cards like Feast or Madman without the parenthetical.  Since they don't get discarded from play, they don't return to your mat, and this version doesn't say to play its target card, it just says to play the cards on your mat. 

I suspect I've missed something that makes the mat not work quite like Prince's real wording, so I'm looking forward to being educated :) 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 14, 2014, 11:59:30 am »
+5

I actually specifically suggested no playmat. My housemate and I tried a mat. It made it really easy to forget to do our Princed Actions.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 14, 2014, 12:01:56 pm »

I actually specifically suggested no playmat.

Thank You.  :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 14, 2014, 04:18:07 pm »
+5

Logistical/printing issues aside, did you think about using a mat like Native Village?  So...
If it had been in an expansion, I would have looked at how a mat could work, if it would be better. It wasn't so it was never going to have one. At the start I had to decide, can I do this with no mat; I decided that I could, and that was that.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 14, 2014, 10:17:05 pm »

I actually specifically suggested no playmat. My housemate and I tried a mat. It made it really easy to forget to do our Princed Actions.
Out of curiosity, what did you do sans mat that made it easier to remember?  I would think as long as the actions are somewhere noticeable in your space, any marker indicating they are Princed (the Prince card, a distinctive mat, etc) would make it equally easy to remember to play them. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 14, 2014, 10:37:45 pm »
+2

Out of curiosity, what did you do sans mat that made it easier to remember?  I would think as long as the actions are somewhere noticeable in your space, any marker indicating they are Princed (the Prince card, a distinctive mat, etc) would make it equally easy to remember to play them.

In your play area they're noticeable. Island and Native Village have trained us to ignore stuff on mats until a card we play alludes to them. Your mileage may vary.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 15, 2014, 01:47:20 pm »

In your play area they're noticeable. Island and Native Village have trained us to ignore stuff on mats until a card we play alludes to them. Your mileage may vary.

I think it would be the reverse for me; I would be tempted to clean up my Prince every turn, especially without that orange Duration color to warn me.
Well you *do* need a signature...

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1433 on: June 15, 2014, 02:06:45 pm »

I'm probably going to use a VP mat as a reminder. I agree Orange would have fit. (Duration stays out until the last turn it does something. This could be a Haven+)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 15, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

I think it would be the reverse for me; I would be tempted to clean up my Prince every turn, especially without that orange Duration color to warn me.

Well, I just put my Prince under and slightly higher than the princed card, both at the start of my play area. So the word Prince is visible, but that's it. Somehow I remember not to clean up my double-card. As I said, your mileage may vary. I just gave feedback based on what worked best for us after trying multiple things.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 16, 2014, 06:13:05 am »

This has probably been answered, but I couldn't find it while looking around in the outtakes or using the search feature: It was said some time ago, Festival/Library once had a third part to go with it. What was that card, and what became of it (was it scrapped, did it get released in a later expansion and if so, how different did it end up)?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 16, 2014, 06:52:31 am »
+3

This has probably been answered, but I couldn't find it while looking around in the outtakes or using the search feature: It was said some time ago, Festival/Library once had a third part to go with it. What was that card, and what became of it (was it scrapped, did it get released in a later expansion and if so, how different did it end up)?
It was Village Idiot - cost $3, "+2 Actions, Each other player discards a card." I moved Festival, Library, and Village Idiot from the large version of Alchemy to the main set, in a group (and at some other point I moved Gardens). Festival and Village Idiot both give you extra actions without a card, and so are good with Library. That was really what tied them together.

Village Idiot of course died because in multiples it locks you out of the game.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 16, 2014, 07:29:50 am »

It could have a safety clause like Pillage and not affect players with already small hand, what was the reason against this?

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:20 am »

Well, I just put my Prince under and slightly higher than the princed card, both at the start of my play area. So the word Prince is visible, but that's it. Somehow I remember not to clean up my double-card. As I said, your mileage may vary. I just gave feedback based on what worked best for us after trying multiple things.

Hmm... to me, putting the princed card on top of prince sounds like you're using the prince itself as an ersatz playmat, which is fine and probably what I'd end up doing too.  That the action is on top of something else tells you not to clean it up normally.  That it's in your played-actions area tells you to play it.  I think if there was a prince mat, I'd put it right where I put actions in play, as opposed to Island mat, which I put off to the side since I interact with it infrequently.  So for me I guess positioning would do the trick. 

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 16, 2014, 12:01:33 pm »

The thing is, using each Prince as its own mat does not let you use the nicer mat-text, which needs a singleton mat were all the princed cards lay.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 16, 2014, 12:08:20 pm »

The thing is, using each Prince as its own mat does not let you use the nicer mat-text, which needs a singleton mat were all the princed cards lay.

Set this aside.  If you do, you may put an Action card costing up to $4 on your Prince mat.
----------------
At the start of each of your turns, play the cards on your Prince mat in any order.  If you would discard any of them from play, instead return those cards to your Prince mat.

This wording actually changes what Prince does, though. It doesn't let you resolve Duration effects in between your Princed Actions.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 16, 2014, 12:28:25 pm »

----------------

This wording actually changes what Prince does, though. It doesn't let you resolve Duration effects in between your Princed Actions.

And it also doesn't let you activate Herbalist or Hermit's when-you-discard effects, sure. But it seems to me these are minor edge cases that don't matter that much for the card's functionality overall?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »

----------------

"Play each card on your Prince mat at the start of your turn." is functionally identical to the current wording. The discard part can also be identical to current wording, since only "set aside" to "put into mat" need changing.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:32 pm »

It could have a safety clause like Pillage and not affect players with already small hand, what was the reason against this?
I didn't have that technology until after Village Idiot's day, and there was no particular reason to revive Village Idiot once I had it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1444 on: June 16, 2014, 06:05:29 pm »
+6

The Finnish translation has a Village Idiot (Kylähullu)! It's known as Madman in the English version. Which is brilliant, since hullu means madman, and Madman is a village (kylä).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 22, 2014, 03:34:48 am »

Can you tell us anything about Temporum?

(I'm guessing not much, but I thought I might as well ask!)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 22, 2014, 05:08:46 am »
+13

Can you tell us anything about Temporum?
I'm glad you asked. Because it means something must have been announced somewhere. I see, it's in a Dice Tower interview.

Well he does not appear to have said much about it. It's time-travel-themed; I made it; we expect it at GenCon. He mentions a "butterfly effect" card; that's Step on a Butterfly. It's a Ray Bradbury thing, not a chaos theory thing. I mean they're similar but well this butterfly is being stepped on, not flapping its wings and causing hurricanes. Anyway the game has at least one card, and with a cool name too.

It's a strategy game; it has the Donald X. Variety Mechanic. I reported those things previously but I can mention them again. I expect people who like my games to like it. The art is fantastic.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 22, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

Wasn't the chaos theory butterfly effect named after the Bradbury story?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 22, 2014, 05:02:51 pm »
+1

Wasn't the chaos theory butterfly effect named after the Bradbury story?
Not according to my internet.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 22, 2014, 05:58:40 pm »

I was disappointed when I realised you weren't talking about "doing a Bradbury".
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.