Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127488 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #1125 on: March 26, 2014, 06:32:57 pm »
+5

Everybodies reading this and taking away there is a new set coming right?
I have not changed my stance that doing a spin-off would be better. I am constantly playtesting stuff; it just isn't Dominion expansions.

Yeah, thats what you are saying, but what they are hearing is : lalalalalala new cards lalala duration lalalala

Hope is an amazing thing!

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 26, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »
+6

Yeah, thats what you are saying, but what they are hearing is : lalalalalala new cards lalala duration lalalala

Well there's a new card, the upcoming promo. If there's one a year, with five promos already, it will only be... a bunch of years before you can group them together and call them an expansion.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 26, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »
+1

I'm guessing you're not willing to give away too much about the promo, but: is the promo an old idea that you fixed up, or something new that you came up with to be a promo?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 26, 2014, 07:37:20 pm »
+4

Well there's a new card, the upcoming promo. If there's one a year, with five promos already, it will only be... a bunch of years before you can group them together and call them an expansion.

I have already called them Dave

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 26, 2014, 07:37:29 pm »
+3

I'm guessing you're not willing to give away too much about the promo, but: is the promo an old idea that you fixed up, or something new that you came up with to be a promo?
It's an old idea. I playtested versions of several old ideas and we liked this one the best.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:11 pm »
+11

Be careful, you're taking Ozle seriously.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:59 pm »

After going into Dominion and this forum and some derivatives (like watching Richard Garfield talk about game design) I started to assess how well or bad designed a game is. Can I ask for your input as to which well known games' design is really good or really bad? (and, if it is not too annoying for you, why?). This is a really ample question, but even a few examples would be great.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
+9

After going into Dominion and this forum and some derivatives (like watching Richard Garfield talk about game design) I started to assess how well or bad designed a game is. Can I ask for your input as to which well known games' design is really good or really bad? (and, if it is not too annoying for you, why?). This is a really ample question, but even a few examples would be great.
This question is just too broad.

I often use Risk as a bad example. Consider a game of Scrabble in which the player who's losing only gets 3 tiles. That's Risk. I like having armies on a map and rolling lots of dice; I'm not big on eliminating players with hours left in the game, voting on who wins, giving me less fun the worse I'm doing.

It's cool that Chess gives different powers to the different pieces. In practice it means that new players not only don't know how to play well, it's hard just seeing what the legal moves are. In general I only play games with people who like a certain amount of randomness; no-one wants to feel stupid because it's technically possible to work out many moves in advance and they aren't doing it.

I often say, it has to be fun to lose. Having fun is really want matters; a game can be anything beyond that. The first chapter of Knizia's book Dice Games Properly Explained consists of nothing but games with no decisions. He doesn't introduce each one with, "if you thought that was stupid, check this out;" instead it's, "here's a fun one, best with 3 to 6 players."

I personally love interacting rules on cards. I like novel experiences. I like psychology. I pursue those things but games can also be fun that are just rituals, or that have lots of anagramming, or you know, whatever it is.

For many years my favorite game was Magic. The novel experiences, the interacting rules on cards. There's a good amount of randomness, there are good decisions. At the same time the rules are unlearnable and sometimes you don't get to play. And it was still the best game ever.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 27, 2014, 01:06:07 am »

Did you test a Knight that was a Treasure instead of an Action? Or a $6 Knight?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 27, 2014, 02:10:21 am »

Did you test a Knight that was a Treasure instead of an Action? Or a $6 Knight?
No. There were 12 Knights originally, including several that didn't make it, including a "when-gain, play" Knight, a couple that gave resources based on what they trashed (back when they could trash any card), and one that could turn into a Duchy he trashed. Later on, with them looking mostly like they do now, Sir Martin and Sir Bailey were the tricky slots. They all cost $5, Sir Bailey with +2 Buys (then later +$1 +2 Buys) sucked, and Sir Martin tried a few Warehouse-type things. As you know Sir Martin ended up costing $4 and getting +2 Buys, and Sir Bailey got +1 Card +1 Action.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 27, 2014, 04:16:01 am »
+1

I'm not big on [...] giving me less fun the worse I'm doing.

Could anyone think of an example where you have more fun the worse you are doing?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:56 am »
+2

Could anyone think of an example where you have more fun the worse you are doing?

Golf, 10-Pin Bowling. I guess we're talking about board games though.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 27, 2014, 04:22:28 am »
+7

Sometimes, Dominion! I can have a deck with no victory cards that's otherwise awesome. I'm doing all my stuff, and losing.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:00 am »
+4

I'd say Pandemic. It's not all that much fun when you have everything under control for the whole game, but it can be super fun when everyone's frantically trying to get where they need to be and also remember that they need to find the cures.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 27, 2014, 04:30:41 am »

It's cool that Chess gives different powers to the different pieces. In practice it means that new players not only don't know how to play well, it's hard just seeing what the legal moves are.

[...]

For many years my favorite game was Magic. The novel experiences, the interacting rules on cards. There's a good amount of randomness, there are good decisions. At the same time the rules are unlearnable and sometimes you don't get to play. And it was still the best game ever.

Are you saying that Chess is too complicated because it's hard to memorise the rules well enough to see all the legal moves, while the unlearnable rules of Magic leave you with interesting decisions? While you could say the rules are on the card, I'd contest the underlying assumption that the basic rules of Magic (turn sequence, LIFO resolution of some spells and effects, assigning damage) are easier to understand than the basic rules of chess, including en passant and 50 moves draw.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:54 am »
+1

Sometimes, Dominion! I can have a deck with no victory cards that's otherwise awesome. I'm doing all my stuff, and losing.
ok, point taken, as long as it doesn't detract you from playing to win. I am guilty of this in Innovation, where I play for a phat, splayed, echo-rife board while my opponent is achieving away.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:45 am »
+12

All drinking games.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 27, 2014, 06:18:55 am »
+2

Are you saying that Chess is too complicated because it's hard to memorise the rules well enough to see all the legal moves, while the unlearnable rules of Magic leave you with interesting decisions? While you could say the rules are on the card, I'd contest the underlying assumption that the basic rules of Magic (turn sequence, LIFO resolution of some spells and effects, assigning damage) are easier to understand than the basic rules of chess, including en passant and 50 moves draw.
There is nothing positive about the level of complexity Magic has. I try to avoid making games where it's as hard to see the moves as in Chess, or as hard to learn the rules as in Magic. I liked Magic despite that flaw; there are also people who like Chess.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:15 am »

I like psychology.

You mean psychology as in Poker? Or as in Risk or Catan?

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:48 pm »
+3

I like psychology.

Just means he likes crazy people

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »

I like psychology.

Poker, or especially, players make (effectively or actually) simultaneous decisions where they care what everyone else does, like in dilemmas or rock-paper-scissors.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 27, 2014, 04:41:22 pm »
+5

I like psychology.

Poker, or especially, players make (effectively or actually) simultaneous decisions where they care what everyone else does, like in dilemmas or rock-paper-scissors.

I think you'd probably like Pokémon (the video games, not the TCG). It's got lots of variety, interacting rules, and it's all simultaneous decisions. It's basically like Magic in that you build your team (instead of a deck) and then take on others. Only instead of investing money to buy good cards, you're investing time to train your team(s).

Not that I'm suggesting you get into it now. If you'd been born a decade or two later, though, it's likely that it would be one of your favorite games.

clloxin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:51 pm »
+1

I like psychology.

I think you'd probably like Pokémon (the video games, not the TCG). It's got lots of variety, interacting rules, and it's all simultaneous decisions. It's basically like Magic in that you build your team (instead of a deck) and then take on others. Only instead of investing money to buy good cards, you're investing time to train your team(s).

Not that I'm suggesting you get into it now. If you'd been born a decade or two later, though, it's likely that it would be one of your favorite games.
I would even say that Pokémon is pretty easy to get into, after looking some stuff up, at least in comparison to magic. There are alot of online simulators that you don't have to do much to make a team. You can even import team, and there wouldn't be much to lose except some time, since it doesn't cost.
Although you probably wouldn't want to get into it like Last Footnote said.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 27, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

I don't play Magic much anymore, but you know, I've got the cards, I could whip out a cube. CCG after CCG died because it turns out people pretty much just want to play one CCG; they require so much time/money and you need opponents. Pokémon succeeded by going after a different audience than Magic, that was the key thing to do.

Anyway yes, I am not so interested in getting into Pokémon at this point.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:21 pm »

Golf, 10-Pin Bowling. I guess we're talking about board games though.
Bowling is a great example because it's actually the fact of being in a bad position that leads to more fun, and it's such a strong effect.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 225  All

Page created in 1.077 seconds with 21 queries.