Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126844 times)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2014, 08:08:53 pm »
+2

On to the important questions:

Were Mint(e)/Mine(t) designed just to mess with us?
No card names were specifically chosen in order to create confusion. A few are jokes, but not confusing jokes.
So what exactly were those joke cards?

Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker...
I'd venture a guess of Venture.

I would be interested in knowing whether Venture and Adventurer intentionally had similar-ish names.  I've never felt that they were all that similar, but others around here seem rather convinced that there is a connection.

They both have similar concepts, even if they play differently (digging for treasures).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2014, 10:52:16 pm »
+11

No card names were specifically chosen in order to create confusion. A few are jokes, but not confusing jokes.
So what exactly were those joke cards?

Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker...
I'd venture a guess of Venture.

I would be interested in knowing whether Venture and Adventurer intentionally had similar-ish names.  I've never felt that they were all that similar, but others around here seem rather convinced that there is a connection.
Venture originally was $1, when you spend this trash it and gain two Silvers, for $4. Adventurer postdates it. The words are related, and they're trying to communicate related things, so it's not so weird that they ended up being similar.

Some names are mildly entertaining references to other names, like Ruined Library or Duchess. Aside from those and the rub-a-dub-dub trio, all I can think of is Baron - there's an idiom, "real estate baron."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:16 pm »
+1

Baron - there's an idiom, "real estate baron."

How did I not realize this before?  :o

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:37 pm »
+16

So my "+Buy or not +Buy, that is the question" just happened to come from a card called Hamlet; it wasn't a deliberate choice to do that?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 14, 2014, 02:39:25 am »
+1

So my "+Buy or not +Buy, that is the question" just happened to come from a card called Hamlet; it wasn't a deliberate choice to do that?
It's just Hamlet because it's a small village. Counting House references the nursery rhyme.  I was aware of Re-make/Re-model when I picked the name Remake, but you know, I just needed more words that meant that. Feodum is of course referring to the original flavor paragraph, where I used the word just to have a list of three things that were actually the same.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »
+3

Have you looked at LastFootnote's Enterprise expansion? I think it might go really well as an official expansion.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 14, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »
+4

Have you looked at LastFootnote's Enterprise expansion? I think it might go really well as an official expansion.

I think officially releasing a set form the Really Bad Card Idea's thread would be a pretty awesome April's Fools joke...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 14, 2014, 03:34:28 pm »

I've been hesitant to ask the same. I don't think it's ready yet, and I doubt LF thinks so, since he's still working on it, but it might reach official release quality once it's finished - or not, I can't really know, but it does look really good. Also, do you read in the variants/fan cards subforum at all? I could imagine some reasons why you would rather avoid it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:35:30 pm by silverspawn »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 14, 2014, 04:27:28 pm »
+5

I've been hesitant to ask the same. I don't think it's ready yet, and I doubt LF thinks so, since he's still working on it, but it might reach official release quality once it's finished - or not, I can't really know, but it does look really good. Also, do you read in the variants/fan cards subforum at all? I could imagine some reasons why you would rather avoid it.

Not to step on Donald's toes here, but he has said many, many, many times that he doesn't look at fan cards at all.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 14, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »

Not to step on Donald's toes here, but he has said many, many, many times that he doesn't look at fan cards at all.

One of the reasons he gave was to avoid something looking like a rip off of a fan card (even by coincidence). Now that all cards are out...

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

Regarding online-only promos: a version of Possession that said "the deck of the Possessed player returns to the state before the Possession turn" would be nice (it has some issues with Masq, Amb, MadMan and Spoils , but maybe they can be worked out). My point is that, in principle, Possession does no harm to the Possessed, but it surely looks like it does. If the possessed does not "lose" the turn, then it really looks like what it seems to be: a complicated more powerful version of Smugglers.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 14, 2014, 04:37:09 pm »

Regarding online-only promos: a version of Possession that said "the deck of the Possessed player returns to the state before the Possession turn" would be nice (it has some issues with Masq, Amb, MadMan and Spoils , but maybe they can be worked out). My point is that, in principle, Possession does no harm to the Possessed, but it surely looks like it does. If the possessed does not "lose" the turn, then it really looks like what it seems to be: a complicated more powerful version of Smugglers.

On the one hand this is kind of cool, but on the other, does possession really need the nerf?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #962 on: March 14, 2014, 04:51:01 pm »
+1

On the one hand this is kind of cool, but on the other, does possession really need the nerf?
It's not a nerf, it's a buff. On average, Possession helps the other player (if you don't count edge cases where you can set up a bad turn for him or Ambassador his cards).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #963 on: March 14, 2014, 04:53:20 pm »

Something else: I recently read an old comment of yours where you referenced Invitation to a Beheading. Are you a big Nabokov fan? Which work is your favorite?
I wouldn't say I was a big fan; I had a girlfriend who had to read a bunch of Nabokov for a class, and so I read the ones that were lying around. They were good enough to keep reading them. My favorite was King Queen Knave. It has a lesson for all of us.

For those of you uninterested in Nabokov, he had synesthesia, and saw letters in different colors.
he also has peer reviewed publications on butterfly evolution.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #964 on: March 14, 2014, 04:59:45 pm »
+3

The general reason is that it's easy to come up with ideas for cards.  It's the playtesting that is hard.  So looking at posts where people just spam out ideas without having playtested them doesn't really provide much value.

LastFootnote, though, has put in a ton of work on the expansion, so I think it's actually worth looking at unlike all the others.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: March 14, 2014, 05:00:17 pm »
+2

It's not a nerf, it's a buff. On average, Possession helps the other player (if you don't count edge cases where you can set up a bad turn for him or Ambassador his cards).

Seems like a nerf to me.  It often gives your opponent extra information about what is coming up next in his deck.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 14, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
+4

I've looked at fan cards, but it's something I avoid doing. Earlier in this thread I looked at the first few cards of one of the sets posted at BGG, and you can see how that went.

A world-famous game designer offered to make an expansion, and I gave him my usual speech about how spin-offs are the way to go. We may conceivably make a spin-off together someday; it's hard to say if that will happen, it would depend on us suddenly springing into action.

Anyway a fan-made expansion is real unlikely.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 14, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »
+25

One of the reasons he gave was to avoid something looking like a rip off of a fan card (even by coincidence). Now that all cards are out...
In fact there will probably be a physical Dominion promo this year - I finished my work on it, it's just up to when Jay decides to put it out.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 14, 2014, 05:38:56 pm »
+8

You lost me at "a version of Possession."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 14, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »
+3

In fact there will probably be a physical Dominion promo this year - I finished my work on it, it's just up to when Jay decides to put it out.

Will we finally get the ultra-desired Cheese Destroyer?! :)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:19 pm »

Its the card I suggested right?
The one with the rude word hidden in the title.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:47 pm »
+2

mail-mi, Silverspawn, and theory, you will always be my heroes forever. Thanks for the votes of confidence.

Donald, if you ever decide you wouldn't mind there being another expansion but don't want to make it by yourself, you can always find me here. :)

Here are some cards in case you're curious: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2114.0. I can at least assure you that they are not "awful, nonstop things [you] wouldn't do that are boring and redundant or else obviously bad for the game in some way". Nor are they endlessly confusing and complex.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 14, 2014, 07:27:50 pm »

Earlier in this thread I looked at the first few cards of one of the sets posted at BGG, and you can see how that went.
This sounds fun to read, can someone post a link?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »
+1

Earlier in this thread I looked at the first few cards of one of the sets posted at BGG, and you can see how that went.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148774#msg148774

It was less fun when the author of those cards read the critique.  But they both took it well.
Well you *do* need a signature...

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 14, 2014, 10:39:07 pm »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=5799.msg148774#msg148774

It was less fun when the author of those cards read the critique.  But they both took it well.

Without defending those cards, I don't think the analysis is fair. We could say "Procession only uses two known mechanics, Throne Room and Upgrade." or "King's Court is overpowered. I fixed it by making it cheaper but only play the action twice." So, is there nothing new about KC or Procession? I think there is. Other than being clearly OP or UP or exactly equal to an existing card, there is almost no way to know if a card is novel without playtesting it and noticing is not really adding anything new. Procession plays really differently to both TR and Upgrade.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.