Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127315 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:04 pm »
+6

What kind of tree would you like to be?

I think we are veering into "if you could get Dominion translated into a quirky language" territory. It would be cool to see Donald X. as several different trees, but I'd get no special pleasure from seeing Donald X. as any particular tree.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2013, 08:59:29 am »

I'd like to be that tree that clones itself. You know, there's a whole forest of genetically identical trees which originated from a single seed. But well, clones aren't all that great maybe. If I could get some clones and they would be anything like me, they wouldn't listen to me anyway. I couldn't just make them to do daily chores or go to work for me. Most likely they would revolt and kill me.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:37 am »

I'd like to be that tree that clones itself. You know, there's a whole forest of genetically identical trees which originated from a single seed. But well, clones aren't all that great maybe. If I could get some clones and they would be anything like me, they wouldn't listen to me anyway. I couldn't just make them to do daily chores or go to work for me. Most likely they would revolt and kill me.

I would probably work out better if instead of enslaving them to do chores, you are just friends with them. In any way, the agre difference between you and your clones would probably get in the way.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:45 pm »

What if a wild fire was to start in the Hunting Grounds you have created? Would you not all be destroyed?
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 17, 2013, 02:47:19 pm »
+3

What if a wild fire was to start in the Hunting Grounds you have created? Would you not all be destroyed?
Then he'd be left with a duchy or 3 estates...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »

If you could take any one kingdom card and wipe it out of existence, which would it be?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 17, 2013, 08:08:28 pm »
+3

If you could take any one kingdom card and wipe it out of existence, which would it be?
Well the card that I could change in order to improve its set the most is Scrying Pool (dropping the Spy part), but I wouldn't get rid of it, just fix it.

The card that has the least going for it overall is Saboteur: it's an attack that doesn't give you resources, which seemed fine at the time but it turned out people don't like that and it's not like there's any reason I need such cards, yes I still made Sir Michael; it's an attack that trashes cards, which I think are worth making in moderation but they have to really please the people that enjoy them, since some people hate them; it's weak, so it's doing less for the people that might like it, and contributing less to possible strategies in a game; it's wordy; and Intrigue already has a trashing attack that makes resources, is strong enough and fun enough to be worth doing, and it even manages to be simpler.

The card that I personally acquire the least often is Secret Chamber, and it causes rules confusion too. I would certainly replace both cards if I were working on Intrigue today.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:53 pm »

When you playtested Dominion, you probably came across some of the crazy combos out there, but which ones came up once Dominion was released that you had not seen in playtesting?  and were there any strong ones that you were surprised people didn't recognize earlier?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 17, 2013, 09:44:19 pm »

When you playtested Dominion, you probably came across some of the crazy combos out there, but which ones came up once Dominion was released that you had not seen in playtesting?  and were there any strong ones that you were surprised people didn't recognize earlier?
I'm sure there are whatever combos that I hadn't seen or still haven't, since you can't see everything, but the only one that stands out that I hadn't seen is King's Court / Masquerade / discard attack.

I don't really have a timeline on people recognizing combos, and obv. if you aren't staring at the spoilers looking for them you probably won't spot the interaction until you see the cards come up together in a game. So it's hard to say, here is something you could have spotted earlier. There are individual cards that I was surprised people didn't immediately see the power of, although in this community someone catches on pretty quick. Remake is a good example. Like, Ambassador and Masquerade are weird cards; we didn't immediately know how powerful they were, and I expect many people initially undervalue them. But once you get to Cornucopia, surely Remake immediately looks scary. It didn't though, to the public I mean.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 17, 2013, 10:15:57 pm »

what made you decide to put count in dark ages instead of intrigue? (assuming it had been created at the time that intrigue was released). it goes well with the mischievous theme in intrigue, and the theme of cards that give you a choice.
Go, and do likewise.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »

You said you would replace Sab and Secret Chamber if you were working on Intrigue today. What would you've replaced them with? :o

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 17, 2013, 11:14:29 pm »

what made you decide to put count in dark ages instead of intrigue? (assuming it had been created at the time that intrigue was released). it goes well with the mischievous theme in intrigue, and the theme of cards that give you a choice.
Count does fit well with Intrigue, but postdates it. It looks like it's from August 2010, so it could have gone into Cornucopia or Hinterlands. I never considered it for those sets, but Hinterlands was trying to be simple and Cornucopia didn't have room for it. For Dark Ages I tried lots of ideas that looked like they might be good that I hadn't done yet, and one of those was "two choose-one's, one good one bad."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »

You said you would replace Sab and Secret Chamber if you were working on Intrigue today. What would you've replaced them with? :o
I don't know dude, it's not like I had cards that they specifically bumped out.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #688 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:18 am »

Doug wanted to be precise and so was. And hey for all he knew I would spring "when you would draw a card" on him someday.
Do you have a card (future, or former) that uses this mechanic?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:41 am »
+2

Doug wanted to be precise and so was. And hey for all he knew I would spring "when you would draw a card" on him someday.
I'm not all about letting one person spoil things for everyone, but I mean if people are just going to say "okay which tree do you want to be" or "what's in Guilds" then we're done here right? There have been a lot of questions, maybe people have run out of other things they want to know, it's all trees and spoilers now.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 18, 2013, 04:14:40 am »
+1

Well, the interview was meant to be for Christmas, it's mid-February now, that's 2 months beyond when this topic was designed for :P.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45:53 am »
+1

I think that you shouldn't feel obligated to answer every question, but it would be nice to have the thread open going forward. Sometimes a person just wants to ask you a question and doesn't want to make a whole new thread for it. I guess they could just PM you, but still…

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:07 am »

You mean this isn't Truth Or Dare, where Donald has to answer questions that we all know he doesn't want to answer just because we ask them in this thread?

But, but, come on, Donald, you have to tell us: Is there anybody at school that you totally want to do kisses with (giggle giggle giggle)?

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

I just have one more question. Do you ever get tired of people asking you questions?

Do you?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:26 am »

I just have one more question. Do you ever get tired of people asking you questions?

Do you?
It's not so bad, it's something to do. I haven't turned down an interview yet, and they're no trouble. Well the written ones are no trouble; I'm not as fond of the audio ones, although I do them. People tend to ask the same questions a lot, but that way you get good at figuring out an answer that gets fewer people saying how awful you are in the comments. And I mean I type up the secret histories, when no-one's even asked for any of those answers yet.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:47 am »

If we lived in a universe without game designing, what area of work would you most likely be in instead?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:35 am »

If we lived in a universe without game designing, what area of work would you most likely be in instead?
I would most likely be a computer programmer trying to break into writing.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #697 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:11 am »

I'm not all about letting one person spoil things for everyone, but I mean if people are just going to say "okay which tree do you want to be" or "what's in Guilds" then we're done here right? There have been a lot of questions, maybe people have run out of other things they want to know, it's all trees and spoilers now.
Perhaps I should have phrased the question better: Did you ever try to use this mechanic in playtesting? In that spirit, were there any basic mechanics you tried that really did not work at all?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 18, 2013, 12:28:14 pm »

Have you ever had one of these moments? If so, what is it? if not, why not?!?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=254.0
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:29:15 pm by ^_^_^_^ »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:15 pm »
+3

Would you be interested in playing a recorded game with me for my YouTube channel?  I've got my 100th Dominion video coming up.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.