Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127535 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:47 pm »

When you're designing a set, do you have a checklist or quotas that you need to meet? For example, what's the number of cards with +buy that you need in a set? What are some types of cards that you need to make sure are included in every set?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:36 pm »
+4

When you're designing a set, do you have a checklist or quotas that you need to meet? For example, what's the number of cards with +buy that you need in a set? What are some types of cards that you need to make sure are included in every set?
These days for ~25 cards by default I want about 2.5-3 villages (counting thrones or expensive ones for less), 2-3 +buys, 2-4 remodels/vaults (trash or discard for benefit), 4 attacks (down from 5), 2-3 non-attack player interaction (up from 1), 1 victory card, 1 treasure, 6-7 cards with +1 card +1 action (up from 5, counting villages but not thrones), and a bunch of $5's.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2013, 09:39:19 pm »

No specific regard for reactions and cost tiers other than $5?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
+1

No specific regard for reactions and cost tiers other than $5?
I like to include a reaction since some people like them, but it's not a slot I feel I have to fill. Other than $5 I just like to have a mix of costs; I feel like people don't want to see a bunch of games with no $3 or whatever, but really, $5 is what matters. I can't have a bunch of cards at $6+ but I don't specifically aim for zero.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:18 pm »
+1

Would you play one game of Dominion with me on iso, just so I can cross it off my bucket list? Bonus points if I could record it. ZOMG I would just DIE.
It won't be anything special - the cards don't sparkle when I play them, the screen doesn't smell like cinnamon. You'll have the same chair you have already. Any amusing stories I tell, you'll know already from the secret histories and the TV movie.

I've played a few people on Goko; just whoever was on and wanted to play. I can make the trip to isotropic, but these days it will be like after midnight Pacific time.

OMG. Name a time and I'll make it work. That would be so amazing. Of course if you don't want to that's totally cool. PM me or something. You are awesome.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »
+4

OMG. Name a time and I'll make it work. That would be so amazing. Of course if you don't want to that's totally cool. PM me or something. You are awesome.
Like I said, currently most likely is after midnight Pacific time. I am looking now and you don't seem to be on. I am "Donald X."

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2013, 12:09:19 am »
+17

Like I said, currently most likely is after midnight Pacific time. I am looking now and you don't seem to be on. I am "Donald X."

DONALD X IS AMAZING. (and WanderingWinder too!)

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:24:51 am by AdamH »

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2013, 01:11:08 am »
+12

the screen smelled like cinnamon, didn't it?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2013, 08:21:08 am »
+8

the screen smelled like cinnamon, didn't it?

I may or may not have gotten cinnamon from my kitchen and put it by my screen while I played these games...

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:02 am »

That was hilarious!

(I noticed the Swindler pile. Just saying.)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 07, 2013, 05:59:21 pm »
+2

When you are playtesting, how do you distinguish between "this card won't work as is" and "this isn't a set where this card will shine?"

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:06 pm »
+2

When you are playtesting, how do you distinguish between "this card won't work as is" and "this isn't a set where this card will shine?"

Also, how do you distinguish "this card won't work as is" and "this card won't work at all?"
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 07, 2013, 07:28:38 pm »
+1

Well if the card "won't work as is" then probably there's no set I want it in as is. Putting it in another set with more cards that make it worth playing only works when you play a high frequency of cards from that set; you might do that when you first get the set, and you might only have one expansion, so sure it's good if a card works well in its set; but lots of the time the cards are mixed in with everything else and those combos are not there. It's good if a card from Cornucopia works well with other Cornucopia cards, but it has to be good enough to get use out of when it's the only card from Cornucopia in the game, and that's certainly the intention.

Also, how do you distinguish "this card won't work as is" and "this card won't work at all?"
Generally in the end by some argument that's card-specific, although sometimes I endlessly waste time on them first.

Some cards just die because people don't like them. It could be that the card is hated, or just has no fans. The Remodel from/to deck top just didn't have fans. It seemed fine but left for something that people would like more. The attack that made people discard down to 2 then draw was hated. It's not like I should have tried to add something so fun to it that the result wasn't hated; I can do the fun thing without the thing people hate.

Some cards have tracking issues or other problems with handling them. Dark Ages had "+$2 +1 Buy, copies of cards in the trash cost $1 less this turn." You spread out the trash. It's not great spreading out the trash. Graverobber / Rogue just make you divide the trash into $3-$6 and not; Forager just makes you have a pile of one of each unique treasure. This card also had rules confusion involving some cards being cheaper and others not, and cards moving to/from the trash during your turn. Then the other part of the card was, "setup: each player puts a supply card costing up to $6 into the trash." People spent forever making this decision; it was a classic, "the less it matters, the harder it is to decide" situation. Neither part wanted more work done on it.

Unsolvable power level issues are rarer and take longer to give up on. There was a card in the main set at one point that I finally gave up on in Guilds. "+$1 per action in play" started in Intrigue, and went through many iterations to become Horn of Plenty; the premise was fixable. Madman was too strong when you could buy it, but even that was fixable.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:48 pm »

Unsolvable power level issues are rarer and take longer to give up on. There was a card in the main set at one point that I finally gave up on in Guilds.
Hooray for Secret Histories teaser!

If you weren't a board game designer, do you think you'd still be a board game player?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 07, 2013, 08:07:51 pm »
+1

If you weren't a board game designer, do you think you'd still be a board game player?
Sure; I'm not sure how the answer could be otherwise.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »
+1

It seems like you frequently mention card concepts you gave up on.  Are there card concepts you initially doubted, tried anyway, and found surprisingly good?

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 07, 2013, 10:24:58 pm »
+4

"man look at all these bad cards I can make a statement with"

-Donald X., on his own game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 08, 2013, 02:19:10 am »
+1

Well, at least it was a highly interactive kingdom with Swindler. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 08, 2013, 02:23:20 am »
+1

Yeah, very entertaining matches. AdamH appeared a tad too starstruck for my taste, but well... it's fine I guess.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:04 am »
+2

Yeah, very entertaining matches. AdamH appeared a tad too starstruck for my taste, but well... it's fine I guess.
I have no problem with him being starstruck, I would probably be very giddy myself if I got to play Donald.
But Donald's support for the game and its community IS amazing though.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 08, 2013, 02:37:36 am »
+1

I have no problem with him being starstruck, I would probably be very giddy myself if I got to play Donald.
But Donald's support for the game and its community IS amazing though.

It definately is.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 08, 2013, 03:34:06 am »
+7

Thanks guys, it is easy hanging out on forums but I would still like it to be recognized as one of the great achievements of our era.

It seems like you frequently mention card concepts you gave up on.  Are there card concepts you initially doubted, tried anyway, and found surprisingly good?
There isn't going to be much like this, because I'm not great at trying stuff that sounds bad. There are always people to entertain; I don't want to be saying, "now let's try something that we'll hate, just in case we don't." Next week they'll be at someone else's table, playing Battlestar Galactica and laughing and laughing.

I decided against doing Bridge early on because it seemed like it would be too strong. Spoils was on the idea list for a long time before I decided, what, why not try it out. I think that might be it.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 10, 2013, 09:11:37 am »

Donald of the games you haven't designed, what is your favorite?
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 10, 2013, 10:03:36 am »
+1

Funny story, was playing some dominion with a new guy last night, and he kept name dropping Donald X's posts on BGG like they were personal conversations. Was very amusing.

"Oh yeah, well Donald X told me on BGG that this card is because of ......"
"Donald says that this card was originally in Prosperity ......"

All that knowledge at his fingertips and he was still rubbish at the game!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 10, 2013, 10:32:14 am »

Funny story, was playing some dominion with a new guy last night, and he kept name dropping Donald X's posts on BGG like they were personal conversations. Was very amusing.

"Oh yeah, well Donald X told me on BGG that this card is because of ......"
"Donald says that this card was originally in Prosperity ......"

All that knowledge at his fingertips and he was still rubbish at the game!

It's not very nice to make fun of new guys.  >:( 
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 225  All

Page created in 1.945 seconds with 21 queries.