Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2134616 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2126
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #450 on: January 06, 2013, 09:35:16 pm »

Total cards in each set that are randomisers, blanks and placeholders:
*Base set: 40 cards (4 kingdom cards)
*Intrigue: 33 cards  (3 kingdom cards)
*Seaside: 38 cards   (3 kingdom cards)
*Alchemy: 12 cards   (1 kingdom card)
*Prosperity: 26 cards  (2 kingdom cards)
*Cornucopia: 13 cards (1 kingdom card)
*Hinterlands: 34 cards (3 kingdom cards)
*Dark Ages: 35 cards (3 kingdom cards)

For a total of 231 printed cards that aren't used in gameplay (I'll assume guilds will add another 13 unless the randomiser cards are built into the mechanic somehow)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 06, 2013, 09:35:55 pm »

I assumed that the blanks were there in case you lost or damaged a card.
I think that was part of the idea behind blanks rather than more Coppers etc., but probably just a couple blanks do the trick there.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:18 am »

In the Rules Questions subforum, there was recently another question about the interaction of Ironworks / Trader.  I noticed that you didn't say anything specific about this confusion in your Dominion Time Machine post a while back (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3353.0), although you did say you would consider dropping the reaction on Trader.

If you had it to do again, would you reword Ironworks somehow?  Which (if any) other cards would you reword purely to clarify intended behavior / interactions?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2013, 04:44:40 am »
+1

In the Rules Questions subforum, there was recently another question about the interaction of Ironworks / Trader.  I noticed that you didn't say anything specific about this confusion in your Dominion Time Machine post a while back (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3353.0), although you did say you would consider dropping the reaction on Trader.

If you had it to do again, would you reword Ironworks somehow?  Which (if any) other cards would you reword purely to clarify intended behavior / interactions?
I don't imagine there's a better wording for Ironworks that isn't just confusing for no benefit. Trader issues are most easily solved by not doing the reaction part of Trader; the game doesn't need any particular card. If I wanted to do the reaction but somehow simplify it, it could give you a Silver in addition to whatever (non-Silver) else rather than instead of it. The main argument against Trader as it stands is that the game has only a tiny number of "replacements" (things that happen instead of other things), and so they are especially confusing; it would be better to do none at all or to have them be common. The reason I considered dropping the reaction in that post wasn't rules issues though, it was just, I had wanted the set to be simple enough to be a standalone and dropping that reaction is a step in that direction. The top was a compelling card by itself and it's so much simpler not to have a reaction too, even if the reaction is simple.

In general for any rules question the issue is, how much does this come up. Sometimes it's never coming up except for people who want to poke at the rules; those things are not much of a problem. Sometimes it comes up but very rarely. Sometimes it comes up but if people get it wrong it's probably not so bad; the key thing is that people can come to an agreement by looking at the rulebook. So in general what I care about is failing to include a particular interaction in the rulebook, rather than that particular interaction existing. If Trader's FAQ answered the Ironworks question then I would consider that sufficient there. I like common questions to be answered right on the card and well I work on the wordings.

I may have blown it on some random phrasings but I feel like I have already looked through the cards for these things, in particular for that post you cite. Where earlier cards don't match later ones, I would probably switch to the later style, such as saying "Silver" rather than "Silver card."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 07, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »

IF (big if) you decided to do an expansion after Guilds, do you think it would be large (500 cards), normal (300 cards) or small (150 cards)?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2013, 03:17:37 pm »

Why don't you join any of the Forum Games?

You'd make a great Mafia member as no one wants to kill the Dominion Godfather!
Heck, you could threaten to make an entire expansion of Scout clones and they wouldn't touch you.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:55 pm »

IF (big if) you decided to do an expansion after Guilds, do you think it would be large (500 cards), normal (300 cards) or small (150 cards)?
Small seems more likely.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »
+2

Heck, you could threaten to make an entire expansion of Scout clones and they wouldn't touch you.
They sound stressful. Mafia seems like it would take up way too much time, but for something faster, I dunno, too much pressure. I've considered running something sometime though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2013, 06:03:07 pm »

This is a bit of a specific question, but if the original version of Feast was too strong, how in the world did Mining Village pass muster? I'd think that "+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$2. Trash this." would be generally be more powerful than "+1 Action. +$3. Trash this." Mining Village even gives you the option of not trashing it.

EDIT: I'm not arguing that the old version of Feast was that interesting or worth printing, but the comparison between the two cards interests me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:04:23 pm by LastFootnote »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
+1

They sound stressful. Mafia seems like it would take up way too much time, but for something faster, I dunno, too much pressure. I've considered running something sometime though.

Oh man. I (and so many others) would be all over that.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »
+2

This is a bit of a specific question, but if the original version of Feast was too strong, how in the world did Mining Village pass muster? I'd think that "+1 Card. +2 Actions. +$2. Trash this." would be generally be more powerful than "+1 Action. +$3. Trash this." Mining Village even gives you the option of not trashing it.

EDIT: I'm not arguing that the old version of Feast was that interesting or worth printing, but the comparison between the two cards interests me.
The first explanation is that only four people were playing Dominion when I decided old-Feast was too good, and none of them had been playing for long. We would get a Gold with it on turn 3 automatically and it seemed like, this is no good. I don't know how it would go if we playtested it today. Obviously the game has ways to get turn 3 Gold, some of which leave you in a better position than old-Feast, some worse. Old-Feast was pretty automatic though. You bought it to get that Gold and then got that Gold with it.

The second is that trashing Mining Village early is not quite as surefire there because the card is sometimes an Estate. The extra action doesn't matter turn 3, you don't have two more action cards. Similarly Smithy is a good start towards turn 3 Gold (and then you have a good card in your deck), but you aren't guaranteed +$3 when you first draw it. Smithy is a good card at $4, but +$3 can't cost $4, it would make for some really dull games.

The fact that people don't automatically consider buying turn one Mining Village in order to immediately trash it is good too.

onigame

• Thief
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Set Generator
« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2013, 10:02:48 pm »

Okay I searched for "fun" in the latest version of the thread. Most of the hits are for Sir Destry saying how fun some specific card is. Most of the sets you couldn't play anyway. Here's an example set though, described as "really, really fun:"

cards in supply: Armory, Counting House, Develop, Great Hall, Hermit, Mandarin, Rebuild, Talisman, Walled Village, and Wandering Minstrel
Armory is Storeroom; Walled Village is Fortress; and Rebuild is some kind of Remodel outtake, I don't know which one. Probably one of the $5's since then you could Develop a Fortress into it. Destry specifically cited getting to go village, Counting House, Madman, and also using Hermits to draw Fortresses.

The Rebuild for that period was "Trash a card from your hand.  Gain two differently named cards each costing exactly $2 more than the trashed card."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2013, 10:19:34 pm »

Okay I searched for "fun" in the latest version of the thread. Most of the hits are for Sir Destry saying how fun some specific card is. Most of the sets you couldn't play anyway. Here's an example set though, described as "really, really fun:"

cards in supply: Armory, Counting House, Develop, Great Hall, Hermit, Mandarin, Rebuild, Talisman, Walled Village, and Wandering Minstrel
Armory is Storeroom; Walled Village is Fortress; and Rebuild is some kind of Remodel outtake, I don't know which one. Probably one of the $5's since then you could Develop a Fortress into it. Destry specifically cited getting to go village, Counting House, Madman, and also using Hermits to draw Fortresses.

The Rebuild for that period was "Trash a card from your hand.  Gain two differently named cards each costing exactly $2 more than the trashed card."

So presumably you'd usually be trashing Estates and $3 cards with it. Interesting.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2013, 10:28:35 pm »

Where do expect Dominion to be in 50 years?  Still on store shelves?   
-The Compulsive Completist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:05 pm »

Where do expect Dominion to be in 50 years?  Still on store shelves?
I don't have much to go on here. There are gamer's games that have stayed in print for 20 years; I think Dominion looks okay there. Boardgame technology and competing entertainment have changed so much in the last 50 years though.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14:05 am »

Well, Mafia can be stressful and time consuming, but there are a lot of alternatives.

We're playing all sorts of games now, ranging from actual board games like Pandemic, Small World, Diplomacy, Gauntlet of Fools, Witch's Brew and such to single submission psychology games like trying be the furthest from any other guess or the Coin Game.

RobBennett

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:26 am »
+3

Do you think Dominion has the potential to catch on big-time with the general public (people who have only played Monopoly and such)?

I do.

I paid no attention to gaming communities until my boy was given Dominion as a Christmas present in 2011. Now I follow this board and try to play a game every night. I see this game as having huge crossover appeal. Of course it would need much more marketing support to pull this off.

Rob

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:44 am »

Do you think Dominion has the potential to catch on big-time with the general public (people who have only played Monopoly and such)?

I do.

I paid no attention to gaming communities until my boy was given Dominion as a Christmas present in 2011. Now I follow this board and try to play a game every night. I see this game as having huge crossover appeal. Of course it would need much more marketing support to pull this off.
Thanks, happy to have sucked you in.

I don't really know what the general public can tolerate in games. I think normal people can play Dominion, and I know it's done well as a gamers' spouses game. I don't know if full-on non-gamer couples would actually prefer it to other entertainment options though. I do not have much to go on there.

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:29 am »

I don't really know what the general public can tolerate in games. I think normal people can play Dominion, and I know it's done well as a gamers' spouses game. I don't know if full-on non-gamer couples would actually prefer it to other entertainment options though. I do not have much to go on there.

I can speak to this.  My sister likes to play games, but before I introduced her to hobby games, her favorite games were things like Sequence.  We've only played a handful of hobby games, but there have only been two that she liked enough to want to play more of them: Dominion and Ticket To Ride.  So there you go.  My anecdotal evidence totally supports you.  Now if I can just stop her from calling the card, "Smitty..."

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

I have tried to get non-gamers interested in Dominion, but I think seeing all the cards laying out there for a complete non-gamer is just too daunting.

I have to soften them up with less awesome games first and then once they have a grasp of strategy and tactics, I say "oh why don't we try this one next"

Anybody who is at heart a gamer, but just doesn't know it yet (Closet Gamers?) it gets brought out right away.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6123
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41:21 am »
+1

When you're making an expansion, how much consideration are you giving to the cards themselves, and how much to how they fit together?

In other words, would you be fine releasing an expansion of "all-star" cards, or would you rather have cards that fit together in some way, even if it means losing a bit of "all-star"-ness?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:31 am »

When you're making an expansion, how much consideration are you giving to the cards themselves, and how much to how they fit together?
Every set has general things it wants that all sets want - a certain percentage of villages and so on. A particular set may have other needs - generally just, having the new things show up a good amount. For example I wanted Dark Ages to have three ways to use Ruins, but only two of them to be attacks, so there was this special need for something that Death Cart filled. This can mean one card's existence affects another - Margrave is providing +buy, only so many cards in Hinterlands should, something else may not get to.

But in general the existence of multiple expansions means that any great card that can't fit due to these roles can just go in another set. The worst case is, a great card that won't fit anywhere could be a promo.

In other words, would you be fine releasing an expansion of "all-star" cards, or would you rather have cards that fit together in some way, even if it means losing a bit of "all-star"-ness?
Hobby Japan has done several rethemes - Dominion cards grouped different ways and with new art and names. I am totally fine with those and have offered advice on their lists. An English all-star set isn't out of the question. It would still have a good proportion of villages and so on though, even if that meant taking a non-all-star to fill out a slot. In practice that just wouldn't matter, "all-star" isn't precise enough and most cards aren't duds.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:06 am »
+1

You heard it, Guilds has a Village!  ;D :P

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 09, 2013, 07:05:38 am »

You heard it, Guilds has a Village!  ;D :P

And a certain percentage of them!  Alchemy only had one village -- University -- but I suppose its non-terminal theme made them less necessary.  Cornucopia has two -- Farming Village and Hamlet.  Three if you count Trusty Steed.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2013, 07:06:50 am »

Id put Mining Village and Fishing Village in an All Star list anyway, possibly even Working Village!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.