Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126797 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2012, 02:57:09 pm »
+1

Do you have another game in the works that you think will be huge?
Well I have other games I think will be hits. I don't have anything that has taken over gamers like Dominion.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2012, 02:59:00 pm »
+1

What got you into playing (rather than designing) boardgames in the first place?
I played games in my youth, but, aside from D&D, nothing that any normal American wouldn't come into contact with. I read about Magic in Games Magazine, and after I started playing it, the other Magic players introduced me to older American gamer's games like Cosmic Encounter, and to the up-and-coming German stuff like Settlers.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
+1

How do you feel about coop games? I can't recall hearing you talk about any (of yours or other people, except for Mage Knight in this thread, but I think you were just talking about the HP mechanics and stuff). I'd have thought you would be all over this because of your feelings on politics. Or is the whole "quarterbacking" issue an even worse form of politics for you that you don't want to touch?

Edit: I guess Infiltration has some coop elements? I haven't gotten to play it yet but I got the impression it was mainly adversarial.
Infiltration isn't a co-op. I liked Knizia's LotR co-op. I think that may be the only pure co-op I've played. I haven't made one. Certainly preventing one player from controlling the game (without switching to a traitor game or what have you) would be a big issue. I'm not especially eager to make one since there are a bunch already.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »
+5

What a terrible experiment. What about this one?: Look at these cards (rinkworks's mini-set design contest winners).
Sorry to disappoint you! My experiment had the feature of only making one guy who isn't here feel bad. Probably you guys can do better, but, well.

Have I told the Richard Garfield story? Richard playtested for Seaside. At one point he randomly suggested a few new cards. They were: 1) the treasure throne room, which I had already tried but later abandoned and then even later fixed up as Counterfeit; 2) Bank, again already in a set; and 3) a reaction that punishes the attacker, which I'd already written up an essay on so I could just show that to people who suggested it. Treasure Throne Room and Bank were both good ideas, but they were obvious and I had a big head start. So... Richard Garfield, three for three.

You guys have an edge here; you know not to make cards from Prosperity and so on. I have had even more years to pile stuff up though. So, say, a victory card that varies in value based on whether or not the Provinces sold out, that one I tried in a couple games with a proxy but never bothered printing out.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:59 pm »
+1

Follow up question: Are you planning a Dominion-brand storage solution for all the Dominion expansions, tokens, and mats after Guilds is released? Maybe Dominion-brand game travel bags?
It's possible Jay will do something. I don't have any recent information there.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »
+1

Other than Chapel are there any cards that, with hindsight, you either regret making completely, or at least regret publishing in their current form?
I do not regret Chapel. There is an essay where you can see what I'd change: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3179.msg56362#msg56362

Overall the card I most regret printing as-is is Scrying Pool; I'd rather it didn't Spy. The card that I could change for the greatest positive effect through would just be any dud card in the main set, being replaced by anything good that isn't too complex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »
+7

Can we have a card name spoiler from Guilds?
You cannot. Jay will post the hilarious paragraph and serious paragraph whenever he decides to; that will tell you something about what you're in for. Until then you will have to settle for leaks via card selection programs.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »
+3

Following up your answer to my question (there's still game space, it just gets more complicated) - what if I want more complicated cards?  I'm looking forward to Guilds being insanely complex.  What if I want expansions to just get more and more insane, until I need a magnifying glass just to see what the cards say?
Is this a rhetorical question? Not your question, mine. And the answer is yes.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2012, 03:41:18 pm »

What a terrible experiment. What about this one?: Look at these cards (rinkworks's mini-set design contest winners).
Sorry to disappoint you! My experiment had the feature of only making one guy who isn't here feel bad. Probably you guys can do better, but, well.

Have I told the Richard Garfield story? Richard playtested for Seaside. At one point he randomly suggested a few new cards. They were: 1) the treasure throne room, which I had already tried but later abandoned and then even later fixed up as Counterfeit; 2) Bank, again already in a set; and 3) a reaction that punishes the attacker, which I'd already written up an essay on so I could just show that to people who suggested it. Treasure Throne Room and Bank were both good ideas, but they were obvious and I had a big head start. So... Richard Garfield, three for three.

You guys have an edge here; you know not to make cards from Prosperity and so on. I have had even more years to pile stuff up though. So, say, a victory card that varies in value based on whether or not the Provinces sold out, that one I tried in a couple games with a proxy but never bothered printing out.

touche!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2012, 03:41:58 pm »
+2

Any more ideas for promo cards? Maybe one modeled after one of your other games?
Well, I have a list of ideas from when I thought I might need one, and I could just use an outtake that wasn't awful in a pinch. I have something picked out to try for an online one sometime. I hadn't considered doing one for one of my other games, but I don't imagine Jay would be so excited to promote a game that RGG doesn't publish.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2012, 03:44:00 pm »
+4

Re: the Possession/Outpost thing. Apparently I asked the question wrongly. I understand why Outpost got a cap—to avoid infinite turns. I am wondering why Possession didn't get a similar cap. Yes, it's not possible to have an infinite number of Possession turns, but it is very easy to be playing more with your opponent's deck than with your own. Given how unfun folks find that experience, I'm wondering why Possession wasn't capped.
I feel like I answered this the first time. It didn't get a cap because it didn't need it. It sure wasn't getting a cap it didn't need; look at that text box.

I've said it before: I usually do not buy Possession, because I am trying to win. I do not have trouble fighting it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
+1

Another question - did Alchemy not include a $5+P card specifically so that you couldn't Procession/Upgrade into Possession?
No, there is no significance to that gap.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2012, 03:46:11 pm »
+3

Do you open double Ambassador or Ambassador/Silver?

What is your favorite beer? If you don't drink beer, favorite alcoholic drink? If you don't drink alcohol, favorite drink?
Depends on the board...
This made my day. :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »

Overall the card I most regret printing as-is is Scrying Pool; I'd rather it didn't Spy.

I've been meaning to ask, but does this mean it wouldn't even spy your own deck, or just that it wouldn't attack other players?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2012, 04:49:01 pm »
+2

Overall the card I most regret printing as-is is Scrying Pool; I'd rather it didn't Spy.

I've been meaning to ask, but does this mean it wouldn't even spy your own deck, or just that it wouldn't attack other players?
No Spying on anybody.

Spying on other players is the slowest part, but besides that I'd like the sleek simple card it once was.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »
+1

How do you feel about coop games? I can't recall hearing you talk about any (of yours or other people, except for Mage Knight in this thread, but I think you were just talking about the HP mechanics and stuff). I'd have thought you would be all over this because of your feelings on politics. Or is the whole "quarterbacking" issue an even worse form of politics for you that you don't want to touch?

Edit: I guess Infiltration has some coop elements? I haven't gotten to play it yet but I got the impression it was mainly adversarial.
Infiltration isn't a co-op. I liked Knizia's LotR co-op. I think that may be the only pure co-op I've played. I haven't made one. Certainly preventing one player from controlling the game (without switching to a traitor game or what have you) would be a big issue. I'm not especially eager to make one since there are a bunch already.

have you played or read about Hanabi?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2012, 08:57:55 pm »
+1

Sorry to disappoint you! My experiment had the feature of only making one guy who isn't here feel bad.

Actually, I believe he's posted in this very thread.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2012, 09:29:01 pm »

Who was the hardest/most annoying playtester to work with?
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »
+1

If you could go back in time and redesign which cards were in which sets, and the order the sets came out (but not changing/adding/removing any cards), what would you move and why?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »

How many Dominion cards do you think you have come up with, including different variations on the same card that were at least considered and maybe tested? Do you have a spreadsheet to keep track of them all, so you can record things like "reaction that hurts attacker | bad idea" and ideas for possible future promo cards, etc.?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2012, 11:08:59 pm »

In the spirit of this being for a "holiday season" interview, what is your favorite holiday tradition?

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2012, 12:45:19 am »

Of all the cards you come up with an idea for, what percentage eventually get tweaked into a printed card?
A man on a mission.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2012, 01:06:21 am »

Do you have a dog? If so, is it blue, or at least named blue?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2012, 02:55:25 am »
+1

have you played or read about Hanabi?
Only at these forums, when I wondered what was going on in the non-Gauntlet of Fools threads.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2012, 02:56:23 am »
+3

Actually, I believe he's posted in this very thread.
Sorry buggy. My other example was Richard Garfield, so you're in good company.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.