Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126924 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2012, 08:59:45 am »
+2

How many requests per day do you get from people wanting to show you their game?
Zero.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2012, 09:04:49 am »
+1

Any chance we'll get the Secret History of Donald's Mafia Thoughts?
I know I wanted to try having the roles be objects that people passed around, and it turned out someone had already tried that. People have been working on the problem for years, so probably I didn't have any ideas they haven't gotten to.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2012, 09:17:12 am »
+3

Tell me off if this is too personal, but what does a day in the life of Donald X. consist of? When do you find time to post on the forum or play games online and IRL?
You can see from my page here that I'm on at all hours. The only thing I have to do at a particular time usually is game nights, which start at 6 PM, and I am not tuned to 24 hours or something, so I gradually stay up later and later until I have to push it to be back to getting up in the mornings again. I am flipping as we speak, having gotten up at 11 PM.

I play games irl two nights a week. I spend a lot of time at my computer, and most of the rest with my family. Sometimes I go for a walk. There is not too much that's interesting to talk about here. I work from home, so, I'm just doing it whenever. I listen to music constantly; currently playing: Mono Rail, by Pugwash.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

How many requests per day do you get from people wanting to show you their game?
Zero.

REALLY?!
Wow, that does surprise me.
Prominent member of the gaming community posts on BGG frequently, I would have thought that you would be a lot of peoples first choice to ask for feedback!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2012, 09:21:49 am »
+1

The only thing I have to do at a particular time usually is game nights

Must be a hard life. ;)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:58 am »
+15

Who would win in a fight between James Bond and Indiana Jones....?
I don't think I want to open this up to hilarious questions. I would spend too long trying to think of something funny. Humor is work, I mean maybe you get lucky but maybe you spend hours staring at your joke paragraph, with the rest of the rulebook having been done for months. I will stick to just incidentally being hilarious, as is the way of my people.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2012, 11:09:26 am »

Do you have another game in the works that you think will be huge?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2012, 11:12:05 am »

What got you into playing (rather than designing) boardgames in the first place? 

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:32 am »

How do you feel about coop games? I can't recall hearing you talk about any (of yours or other people, except for Mage Knight in this thread, but I think you were just talking about the HP mechanics and stuff). I'd have thought you would be all over this because of your feelings on politics. Or is the whole "quarterbacking" issue an even worse form of politics for you that you don't want to touch?

Edit: I guess Infiltration has some coop elements? I haven't gotten to play it yet but I got the impression it was mainly adversarial.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:21:38 am by RD »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2012, 11:47:51 am »
+1

Great stuff, Donald. I really enjoyed reading your answers during breakfast!

But I almost spit out my cereal here:

Similar to the above -- do you ever look at fan cards?  If so, do you have a favourite?
Let's do an experiment, I will look at the first four cards of "Books of Magic," the first listed fan expansion at BGG. I am looking at the first four images sorted the default way ("hot"), skipping the big image of a card sheet.

So, four-for-four, nothing new or interesting here. Sorry Books of Magic guy, it was just an example.

What a terrible experiment. What about this one?: Look at these cards (rinkworks's mini-set design contest winners).

What do you think about the cards the f.ds community voted for?

[I am just waiting for the comment, "Man, that card is in fact horribly broken. I threw a similar card into the trash 5 years ago!" ]

Adding on to other fan cards questions...Agricola Gamers Deck was designed by fans. Is there any chance of something similar happening with Dominion, perhaps using the Mini-Set Design Contest hosted by rinkworks as a starting point?
Unlikely.

:'(

If there was something good enough then maybe a single promo.

There is a sliver of hope! 

The main issue is, aside from me wanting to be the guy and getting to, that I also want to ensure a certain uh level of quality.

So true. But, the joy of reading fan cards is that you never know what quality you are going to get. ;)

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:18 am »
+2

I do try to pass up answering rules questions that surely lots of people will immediately answer. And there are some threads that I'm unlikely to check, like storage solution threads. Man, I have had the experience.

Follow up question: Are you planning a Dominion-brand storage solution for all the Dominion expansions, tokens, and mats after Guilds is released? Maybe Dominion-brand game travel bags?

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:50 am »

Other than Chapel are there any cards that, with hindsight, you either regret making completely, or at least regret publishing in their current form?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2012, 11:59:45 am »
+3

Can we have a card name spoiler from Guilds?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2012, 12:12:01 pm »
+5

Other than Chapel are there any cards that, with hindsight, you either regret making completely, or at least regret publishing in their current form?

Has Donald ever said he regretted Chapel? I don't recall this.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he considered it undercosted or something, but I couldn't find the link.  I tried to word the question in such a way that if he was happy with Chapel he could still answer the question as-is without questioning the premise.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »
+3

Following up your answer to my question (there's still game space, it just gets more complicated) - what if I want more complicated cards?  I'm looking forward to Guilds being insanely complex.  What if I want expansions to just get more and more insane, until I need a magnifying glass just to see what the cards say?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:18 pm »

Why did you cap the number of turns you can take via Outpost but not via Possession?

I'm not Donald X., but isn't this obvious?  Imagine having a deck of Village-Monument-Outpost-Outpost.  Possession doesn't lead to infinite turns.

This. Possession turns are already capped. They just aren't capped at 1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »
+1

Any more ideas for promo cards? Maybe one modeled after one of your other games?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »

Re: the Possession/Outpost thing. Apparently I asked the question wrongly. I understand why Outpost got a cap—to avoid infinite turns. I am wondering why Possession didn't get a similar cap. Yes, it's not possible to have an infinite number of Possession turns, but it is very easy to be playing more with your opponent's deck than with your own. Given how unfun folks find that experience, I'm wondering why Possession wasn't capped.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »
+1

Re: the Possession/Outpost thing. Apparently I asked the question wrongly. I understand why Outpost got a cap—to avoid infinite turns. I am wondering why Possession didn't get a similar cap. Yes, it's not possible to have an infinite number of Possession turns, but it is very easy to be playing more with your opponent's deck than with your own. Given how unfun folks find that experience, I'm wondering why Possession wasn't capped.

Maybe because it's so expensive in the first place?  I mean, how likely is it that you're going to King's Court all 10 Possessions?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »
+1

Another question - did Alchemy not include a $5+P card specifically so that you couldn't Procession/Upgrade into Possession?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »
+2

What a terrible experiment. What about this one?: Look at these cards (rinkworks's mini-set design contest winners).

No, please don't. I agree that Buggy's cards (Books of Magic, etc.) are bad. But if I had to show Donald X. a sample of fan cards to show that they could be worth his time, I wouldn't choose the mini-set contest cards. Don't get me wrong, I participated in the contest, and it was fun and an interesting experiment. But the fact remains that the result is (currently) a big ol' hodgepodge of cards that people had to come up with under time constraints, have had little to no playtesting, and have pretty much no cohesiveness as a set of cards.

As an example, I'm not proud of my winning submission. I'm guessing that playtesting will reveal that it's not sufficiently different from Torturer and certainly not unique enough to justify the amount of text on the card. If I had put the card in a fan expansion that I had complete control over, it probably would have been severely altered or scrapped by now.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »
+1

No, please don't. I agree that Buggy's cards (Books of Magic, etc.) are bad. But if I had to show Donald X. a sample of fan cards to show that they could be worth his time, I wouldn't choose the mini-set contest cards. Don't get me wrong, I participated in the contest, and it was fun and an interesting experiment. But the fact remains that the result is (currently) a big ol' hodgepodge of cards that people had to come up with under time constraints, have had little to no playtesting, and have pretty much no cohesiveness as a set of cards.

As an example, I'm not proud of my winning submission. I'm guessing that playtesting will reveal that it's not sufficiently different from Torturer and certainly not unique enough to justify the amount of text on the card. If I had put the card in a fan expansion that I had complete control over, it probably would have been severely altered or scrapped by now.

I agree. The best card I've ever made was never a submission to that contest. It just didn't fit any of the challenges' criteria.

Likewise, I love a lot of LastFootnote's cards, but the one of his that won, wasn't the one I liked the most.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that he considered it undercosted or something, but I couldn't find the link.  I tried to word the question in such a way that if he was happy with Chapel he could still answer the question as-is without questioning the premise.

I think you might be thinking of his quote "Chapel is the most powerful card in the game, relative to its cost. I'm unlikely to every create another card that powerful." If so, this is not at all the same as saying that it was undercosted or that he wishes he had done something differently. He's explained at great lengths why Chapel cost $2 even though it is powerful enough to cost $4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2012, 01:49:00 pm »

I agree. The best card I've ever made was never a submission to that contest. It just didn't fit any of the challenges' criteria.

Likewise, I love a lot of LastFootnote's cards, but the one of his that won, wasn't the one I liked the most.

Fair enough. Mainly, I just thought it was funny the way Donald decided to pick 4 cards to look at given the amount of discussion on the Variant sub forum about various cards. Contest suggestion: Card to show Donald X.?  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 20 queries.