Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126762 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4975 on: May 13, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »

Or just tell people to set the cards aside? We never bother with the Island mats anyway.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: May 14, 2020, 02:09:04 pm »

Island could use the Tavern Mat with very little change in functionality (you're never Islanding away Reserve cards in any normal situation).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:08 pm »
+1

The prototype used the Island itself as a "mat", if memory serves.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:31 am »

We just make a stack of all the Islanded cards with an Island on top.

If Island used the Tavern Mat, I think Miser would be the most significant interaction?

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: May 24, 2020, 10:16:01 am »

Is there wording on current cards that are specifically anticipating future cards?
-The Compulsive Completist

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4980 on: May 24, 2020, 10:59:34 am »

Is it possible to have someday a cost reducer for events or it’s just too strong?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: May 24, 2020, 11:15:54 am »
+2

Is it possible to have someday a cost reducer for events or it’s just too strong?
It's probably terribroken: worthless if there are no Events, and potentially ridiculously strong if there are.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: May 24, 2020, 11:30:30 am »

What about having an event that reduces the cost of other events?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: May 24, 2020, 11:35:34 am »

It's probably terribroken: worthless if there are no Events, and potentially ridiculously strong if there are.

About being worthless, it could be not only about events. I also think it would be probably too strong, but my friends came with this discussion and I want to know if it is really an entirely unavoidable issue.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: May 24, 2020, 11:37:47 am »
+2

Is there wording on current cards that are specifically anticipating future cards?
There stopped being planned future cards as of Dark Ages / Guilds.

At the same time, hypothetical things I might do, that would want wordings to already be nice for them, have mostly happened already in sets, so they're not future things.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: May 24, 2020, 11:39:52 am »
+4

Events assume that that cost reducer won't ever exist. I don't know how bad it would actually be; it's not something I have to figure out, as long as the plan is to not do it. There is not much of a pull towards doing it at this point.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: May 24, 2020, 01:12:00 pm »
+3

Assuming it stacks like any other cost reduction, it would be broken with a few of the events that you can buy repeatedly--Gamble, Delve, and Travelling Fair could be very strong if their cost gets reduced to 0.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4987 on: June 08, 2020, 09:45:59 am »
+3

any word from the team doing the mobile app implementation? any guess on when that'll be available?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: June 08, 2020, 11:25:09 am »
+2

any word from the team doing the mobile app implementation? any guess on when that'll be available?
I have no news or guess. When I know something I will post it.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: June 08, 2020, 12:02:00 pm »
+1

Are there any landscape cards you plan to bring back? Since Adventures, every expansion had at least one type of landscape card. Will you continue this?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: June 09, 2020, 11:08:56 am »
+6

Are there any landscape cards you plan to bring back? Since Adventures, every expansion had at least one type of landscape card. Will you continue this?
It isn't the kind of thing I announce this far in advance. In general I like to do them, since they add a lot of content.

Vengil

• Scout
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:15 pm »

When will the next expansion be released? End of 2020? 2021?

I would love to have more cards! I have my little extension with 12 landscape cards (the Laws http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20293.0), but it is only playable IRL... My dream would be to program them on Dominion Online (maybe in tab fan made?)! Or that you will release a concept similar to Laws cards.
Your game is very addictive and fun! (Sorry for my bad english)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:00 am »
+7

When will the next expansion be released? End of 2020? 2021?
There will probably be another expansion eventually. They don't tend to get announced far in advance.

Right now my game nights are on hiatus and well the world doesn't know when they will come back.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: June 30, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »

Which out of the "standard" landscape cards (Events, Ways, Projects, and Landmarks) do you like the best? Which do you not like as much as the others?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 01, 2020, 12:52:36 pm »
+2

Which out of the "standard" landscape cards (Events, Ways, Projects, and Landmarks) do you like the best? Which do you not like as much as the others?
Events are the best, and you can see that three expansions have them. Some of them should have been Projects (e.g. Lost Arts), which I put 2nd. Then Ways; then Landmarks last. I still like Landmarks, but they add way less than the other three.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: July 08, 2020, 12:29:04 am »

Is there a secret history to the throne room+duration rule? I've always kinda wondered why it exists. It seems like it made the design of a few cards (tactician, outpost, procession) more complicated.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: July 08, 2020, 12:54:24 pm »
+4

Is there a secret history to the throne room+duration rule? I've always kinda wondered why it exists. It seems like it made the design of a few cards (tactician, outpost, procession) more complicated.
It goes back to before the cards had "duration" on the bottom of them. Something has to track what you're getting next turn. The duration card stays out because it has "something left to do"; the idea is, the Throne also has something left to do.

In retrospect it would have been better if duration cards not in play didn't do anything (and, if cards you couldn't put into play also didn't do anything). That clears up Procession.

Outpost has an anti-Throne clause. Ideally it would have some form that didn't need that.

Tactician has an extra cost on getting your bonus next turn; that premise requires dealing with the tracking rule, unless the extra cost is something you can always pay (e.g. taking debt).

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: July 13, 2020, 05:45:40 pm »
+1

I was just reading through the secret histories, for Conspirator you say that it replaced a really crazy card late into set development that was to be fixed up for a later expansion. Has a fixed version of that card been released and if so what is it?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: July 13, 2020, 06:10:55 pm »

As things stand, the fix here is to not provide ways to get Duration cards out of play, since with the errata to Procession there's just Bonfire and and Mandarin. Bonfire is easy. Mandarin would look weird. But, it's something I can consider still when those sets get reprinted.

Have your thoughts on this changed? Now with Way of the Butterfly, Horse or Turtle, it's possible to play Throne Room + Duration, and both remove the Duration (using the Way) and play it for its own ability. You'd have a Duration effect for next turn but no cards to track it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:12:53 pm by Jeebus »

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: July 13, 2020, 11:37:19 pm »
+2

I was just reading through the secret histories, for Conspirator you say that it replaced a really crazy card late into set development that was to be fixed up for a later expansion. Has a fixed version of that card been released and if so what is it?

It's Horn of Plenty.

Quote from: Cornucopia's secret history
Long ago, Intrigue had a card that read, "+$1 per Action card you've played this turn." It cost $4. This was popular with a certain kind of player. But many games it was useless - you needed a bunch of pieces to put together this puzzle - and then some games it was unbeatable. You would get staggering amounts of $ out of it, with +buys from something to make them count. Some people defended it, but I killed it. I could always try to fix it up later; there was no reason to give Intrigue a broken/useless card. Intrigue got Conspirator instead, which has a hint of the original premise.

I tried a new version in a later set: "+2 Actions +1 Buy. While this is in play, when you play another Action card, +$1." For $5. The idea was to provide some of what you needed with the original card, so that it was playable in more games, while weakening it in the games where it was good. You've got extra actions and a +buy up front... but it doesn't count Actions already played, only ones played after it. You can't draw your whole deck and finally draw it and play it and yeeha. Anyway this too was broken. I tried several things, including a version that only counted differently named cards. Eventually I gave up on it.

The solution in the end was to make it a Workshop variant. You don't get to combine the money with your other money. It doesn't use up your buy though. To be good enough and not fluctuate too much, it had to count your treasures too. At first it was an action with an effect delayed until the end of your buy phase, but I turned it into a treasure worth $0. Some people just liked that there was a treasure worth $0, I don't know what to tell you. So it doesn't use an action, and works with treasures naturally. This version was still sometimes too strong, so it got the "trash it if gained VP" clause.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.