Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187]  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 738542 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1309
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4650 on: April 09, 2019, 10:58:15 am »
+1

A data point that might be interesting, and is hopefully really easy to answer: how big was the corresponding "finished" file for Renaissance?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +21695
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: April 09, 2019, 03:10:09 pm »
+2

A data point that might be interesting, and is hopefully really easy to answer: how big was the corresponding "finished" file for Renaissance?
There is no such file. The main file is 8K. Half of that is a terse list of the cards, one line per card; a fourth is cards by category; a fourth is final work being done - bad ideas for projects and wordings for Lantern. The list bit would have been copied to the other file but there was no point.

Okay I made a file of just the final card texts (but the full form, with exact wordings and card types and stuff), and that's 7K.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1309
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: April 09, 2019, 07:07:36 pm »

If I understand correctly, that suggests that only approximately one idea in every twenty-five ended up as a published card? That's surprisingly (and impressively) low!

I guess some of the junk ideas are reworking of other junk ideas, but even so...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9768
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:47 am »

For the number of cards that get to me for playtesting, I can tell you that way less than half of them end up being the last version of a card. There's no line though between a card that's been tweaked and a card that's been replaced entirely. It's a big gray area. But any which way you slice it, the number of outtakes dwarfs the number of finished cards by leaps and bounds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: April 10, 2019, 01:09:04 pm »
+1

Random NPCs: Were each of them tied to a room like in Infiltration or were they randomized as well, as suggested in Infiltration's Scattered NPCs variant?

Oh man, there are so many random changes from Factory Job to Infiltration, it's insane. So many of them are pointlessly making the game worse as well. Like you know there's this one NPC that always moves out and then dials up the cops number (or whatever it's called in Infiltration) when they leave the building? In Factory Job, that NPC only moves if they're alone, which is both more flavorful and more interesting mechanically.

The one thing I think Infiltration possibly does better is the money/data. Having large discrete chunks of it makes it a lot easier to divvy up loot in a room. It's a pain having $100 in room and giving each of three players $33, leaving $1 in the room that nobody will ever want. I also like the amounts being secret and randomized, but honestly I don't think it's worth the extra setup. Having to turn all those data tokens upside down and mixing them up is a huge pain.

Jeebus

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: May 19, 2019, 03:22:39 pm »

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere, but I can't find it. Why does Royal Carriage have a clause that it can't replay a card that has left play, while Citadel does not have that clause?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8718
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:07 pm »
+3

Maybe this has been addressed somewhere, but I can't find it. Why does Royal Carriage have a clause that it can't replay a card that has left play, while Citadel does not have that clause?

I don't know if it was the only reason, but without that clause, you could play Royal Carriage infinitely, calling it to reply itself each time. One could argue that this is no different than how you can reveal Moat infinitely for no effect; though it actually matters with Conspirator or any of the token bonuses.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jeebus

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: May 19, 2019, 03:36:35 pm »

I don't know if it was the only reason, but without that clause, you could play Royal Carriage infinitely, calling it to reply itself each time. One could argue that this is no different than how you can reveal Moat infinitely for no effect; though it actually matters with Conspirator or any of the token bonuses.

That is a very good point. Citadel has a built-in limit of once.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: May 19, 2019, 04:43:32 pm »
+7

It also gives you infinite +Actions.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: June 02, 2019, 09:06:35 pm »

Are there any outtakes which got to the table for playtesting, but which you wonder why you ever considered them in retrospect?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +21695
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: June 03, 2019, 01:40:39 pm »
+5

Are there any outtakes which got to the table for playtesting, but which you wonder why you ever considered them in retrospect?
If you don't playtest things that look crazy, you'll never have published cards that look crazy. Still I've certainly playtested cards that had no real chance of working out. I don't shy away from mentioning them in the secret histories.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187]  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.