Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127137 times)

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #4100 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:35 am »
+7

I will always be a little sad it isn't Rats!.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:31 am »

Will you or have you ever considered putting a question mark or exclamation point in any card-shape-thing text? If so, what would it take?
I don't feel the need to rule out a card name with ? or !, but it doesn't seem so likely. I mean it's Raid, not Raid!, and I think all the ! adds there is "this is trying to be funny."

As noted ? is used to represent unknown $ amounts. I'm not seeing what ! could do. I don't want to suggest that any rule is more emphatic than the others.

I was assuming he was asking about ability text. As you say, an exclamation couldn't realistically add anything to the ability itself. A question mark seems more possible, but I can't really think of a wording where it would make sense.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:47 pm »
+19

Will you or have you ever considered putting a question mark or exclamation point in any card-shape-thing text? If so, what would it take?
I don't feel the need to rule out a card name with ? or !, but it doesn't seem so likely. I mean it's Raid, not Raid!, and I think all the ! adds there is "this is trying to be funny."

As noted ? is used to represent unknown $ amounts. I'm not seeing what ! could do. I don't want to suggest that any rule is more emphatic than the others.

I was assuming he was asking about ability text. As you say, an exclamation couldn't realistically add anything to the ability itself. A question mark seems more possible, but I can't really think of a wording where it would make sense.

Mining Village
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may trash this.
Did you trash this?
If yes: good job! +

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: January 09, 2018, 08:42:56 pm »
+11

There could be a Treasure that gives X-factorial amount of money.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4104 on: January 10, 2018, 12:25:58 am »
+5

There could be a Treasure that gives X-factorial amount of money.
Maybe we could call it Bank!
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:39 am »

Cards with specialized discounts, like Quarry or Ferry, make for interesting Remodel paths that aren't available with global discounts.

Have you ever tested other types of specialized discounts? For example, a Victory-specific cost reducer?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:36 am »
+2

Cards with specialized discounts, like Quarry or Ferry, make for interesting Remodel paths that aren't available with global discounts.

Have you ever tested other types of specialized discounts? For example, a Victory-specific cost reducer?
Dark Ages had "Copies of cards in the trash cost $1 less." Various cards have made just themselves cheaper different ways, like Peddler.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: January 20, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »

Altenburger also wanted the world champion for this coming year to get to make a card. We said no! We are willing to put their face on a card, that is as far as we will go. However, as it happens, Adam is the current world champion. So a world champion did get to design a card.

So... if I want to get to design a card, I should ask you a question to which the answer is no?  Hmmm.

Please can I design a card?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: January 20, 2018, 06:16:35 pm »
+4

Altenburger also wanted the world champion for this coming year to get to make a card. We said no! We are willing to put their face on a card, that is as far as we will go. However, as it happens, Adam is the current world champion. So a world champion did get to design a card.

So... if I want to get to design a card, I should ask you a question to which the answer is no?  Hmmm.

Please can I design a card?
We like to have fun in the Interview with Donald X. thread.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03:06 am »

I think it was already asked and sorry if so, ut I couldn't find it. What is your most favorite videogame? What is a videogame you spent the most hours on? looking for something to play
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4110 on: January 21, 2018, 06:45:29 am »
+4

I think it was already asked and sorry if so, ut I couldn't find it. What is your most favorite videogame? What is a videogame you spent the most hours on? looking for something to play
The one I've spent the most hours on is surely Dudes of Stuff and Things, which I made and which you could find in this very thread and download and see if your computer plays it. I forget if the DOS version is the one posted, but if so, there's DOSBox, some software you can find somewhere on the internet that allows these older games to be played.

Dudes was my take on Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3, so if Dudes is no good for you, there you go. You can get them at gog.com, they have lots of older games in forms that will play on modern computers. They're cheap and you download them.

These days if I play a game on my computer, and it's not Dudes, odds are it's either one where you build up a hero while exploring a fantasy or sci-fi world and the combat isn't so good, which is to say it's a Bethesda game, with Fallout 4 being the latest; or it's a flash game that you can play for free on e.g. kongregate. There are lots of really classic flash games, man. Look for a category you like and go through the top-rated ones and you will find good ones.

Mostly I play video games on consoles, and by consoles I mean Nintendo consoles. Zelda: BotW and Super Mario Odyssey were both great. Before them on the Wii U, Super Mario 3-D World, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3. On the 3DS, A Link Between Worlds. Those are all mainstream hits and well they deserved to be.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 01:07:24 am by Donald X. »

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: January 21, 2018, 07:42:03 am »
+1

What's the problem with a card being set aside for long amounts of time? Like, why does Island and Native Village require a mat to work? Is it because in practice, you would forget you set a card aside?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 21, 2018, 07:58:14 am »
+5

What's the problem with a card being set aside for long amounts of time? Like, why does Island and Native Village require a mat to work? Is it because in practice, you would forget you set a card aside?
Native Village requires a mat because you will otherwise absent-mindedly shuffle the cards into your deck at some point.

I do not use a mat for Island personally; I turn the first Island sideways and that's my mat. I do need that sideways Island though, for the same reason.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: January 24, 2018, 04:09:08 am »
+1

Have you ever tried or thought about a doom attack that did set up like druid with 3 predetermined hexes?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 24, 2018, 04:29:15 am »

Have you ever tried or thought about a doom attack that did set up like druid with 3 predetermined hexes?

Problem with that is that if either of the predetermined Hexes were Delusion, Envy, or Misery, the card would just fall apart. The obv solution is to not have made those Hexes to begin with, but that isn't really worth it just for this one card.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: January 24, 2018, 05:34:49 am »

misery and envy are fine. iīd be more concerned with Locusts and War.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: January 24, 2018, 05:53:54 am »
+2

No; instead, some of the hexes were things that wouldn't work if you could always get them.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4117 on: January 24, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
+1

Why does Ritual say "+1VP per 1$ it cost" and not "+1VP per 1$ it costs"? To me, "cost" implies past-tense, like the card now ceases to be. But it's just in the trash.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

The first corner case that springs to mind for me is:
• Use Inheritance (it doesn't matter which Action you choose)
• Play Quarry
• Use Ritual on an Estate
• Get no VP

Because the Estate was an Action-Victory when you trashed it, Quarry reduced its to $0. The moment  the Estate leaves your ownership it reverts to being a plain Victory card, costing $2.

I'm sure there are others.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:24 am »
+4

Why does Ritual say "+1VP per 1$ it cost" and not "+1VP per 1$ it costs"? To me, "cost" implies past-tense, like the card now ceases to be. But it's just in the trash.
There's no good reason. Some cards refer to the current cost and some to the past cost, and it's just, what words fell out onto the card, what sounded good that minute. In general it's probably simpler to refer to the current cost so they should all do that.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: January 25, 2018, 01:22:34 pm »

There's no good reason. Some cards refer to the current cost and some to the past cost, and it's just, what words fell out onto the card, what sounded good that minute. In general it's probably simpler to refer to the current cost so they should all do that.

I see an edge case here. You can trash an inherited Estate with Quarry in play. In the trash it costs always $2, but in your hand it can cost $0.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:02 pm »
+2

I see an edge case here. You can trash an inherited Estate with Quarry in play. In the trash it costs always $2, but in your hand it can cost $0.

Like this for example:

The first corner case that springs to mind for me is:
• Use Inheritance (it doesn't matter which Action you choose)
• Play Quarry
• Use Ritual on an Estate
• Get no VP

Because the Estate was an Action-Victory when you trashed it, Quarry reduced its to $0. The moment  the Estate leaves your ownership it reverts to being a plain Victory card, costing $2.

I'm sure there are others.

?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: January 25, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »
+1

That is not an edge case to "there's no good reason." It simply doesn't matter how exotic cases end up here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (ī。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4123 on: February 06, 2018, 06:13:10 pm »

How would you briefly describe Dominion to someone who doesn't play a lot of board games?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: February 06, 2018, 06:27:07 pm »
+12

How would you briefly describe Dominion to someone who doesn't play a lot of board games?
It's a game where you build a deck of cards. Everything about your position is in your deck - your money, your victory points, the things you can do. We build our decks out of cards that vary each game; the game gives you a puzzle to solve, of how best to build up, given the particular cards available.

When teaching it I go on to say: We take turns. On your turn first you can play an Action card from your hand, doing whatever it says; then you can play any number of Treasure cards and buy one new card for as much $ as you have or less, putting it into your discard pile; then you discard everything you played and everything you didn't, and draw a new hand of 5, shuffling as needed.

If instead you want to talk about it as a thing not to be played but merely marveled at, well, it's the widely imitated game that spawned the deckbuilding "genre" ("genre" in quotes because of how so many of the games do so little to distinguish themselves, but no-one's interested in hearing about that).
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 225  All

Page created in 1.441 seconds with 20 queries.