Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127029 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3975 on: November 25, 2017, 02:15:46 pm »
+2

Why does Changeling's top make you trash it and gain a copy of a card you have in play instead of something like: "Exchange this for a copy of a card in play"?
The top was the initial idea, before there was a bottom and before there was any exchanging going on with the card. When I added the bottom, I don't think I considered changing the top. It was working fine; there was no impetus for changing it. The usual answer to "why isn't this card some other way."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: November 25, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »

It would generate questions like, can you exchange it for a Ghost? And I think you could.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: November 25, 2017, 06:03:45 pm »
+2

It would generate questions like, can you exchange it for a Ghost? And I think you could.
Also when-gain things wouldn't trigger, which would be confusing.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: November 26, 2017, 12:00:39 am »

I think I know who Matt is, but who is Billy? (From the secret history, no need to answer if it’s private, but it sounded like it wasn’t)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: November 26, 2017, 12:40:14 am »
+4

I think I know who Matt is, but who is Billy? (From the secret history, no need to answer if it’s private, but it sounded like it wasn’t)
He's not part of this community. He's Billy Martin in the rulebook, and looks a lot like Sir Martin in Dark Ages.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: November 27, 2017, 10:50:30 am »

I have a question. I know you've stated several times that you won't make any more Dominion expansions featuring potions, but have you or would you consider a promo or set of promos that utilize them? I personally feel there is a lot left in that mechanic--along with the coin token mechanic--to be explored, and having them be promos could be a way to do it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:27 am »

I have a question. I know you've stated several times that you won't make any more Dominion expansions featuring potions, but have you or would you consider a promo or set of promos that utilize them? I personally feel there is a lot left in that mechanic--along with the coin token mechanic--to be explored, and having them be promos could be a way to do it.

There's a big problem with such an idea... the promo couldn't be used without having Potion cards. While it's true that no Promo can be used without the base cards; none of them have ever required you to own any particular component or set other than "and playable Dominion at all". Making a promo that can only be enjoyed if you own Alchemy seems very unlikely.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: November 27, 2017, 11:59:10 am »

That could be worked around by making the promo self-synergistic while interacting with potions and/or potion-cost cards. Possibly using the split-pile trick to reduce complexity.

The larger problem is that Alchemy's not popular enough.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: November 27, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »
+5

A question inspired by a certain other thread:

Have you ever designed cards for your own amusement/satisfaction with no intention of publishing them?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
+1

I have no particular interest in a potion-using/costing promo, and I don't imagine RGG would be interested either. The time for that was right after Alchemy came out, so the card could promote the expansion.

I don't think I would get anything special out of having the mechanic available; I have found other ways to do extra-expensive cards (e.g. City Quarter, Grand Market).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: November 27, 2017, 01:45:27 pm »
+4

A question inspired by a certain other thread:

Have you ever designed cards for your own amusement/satisfaction with no intention of publishing them?
If we aren't talking just about Dominion, I've done tons of it. There were all those homemade Magic expansions, and my Netrunner expansion. My Medici expansion. All the card games I made when I wasn't trying to get anything published.

For Dominion, note that I've posted joke Dominion cards many times in the forums. There's a thread collecting some of them.

We could also say, when I make a Dominion card, it isn't so correct to say that I intend to get it published; I'm trying it out, and may be pretty skeptical but still want to try it. I usually am trying something that could go into a set if it worked out though. I've tried "proof of concept" things - like "+$2, each other player receives the next hex" - but if one of those was great it could go the distance.

If I make a non-joke Dominion card, man, odds are I will want want that in an expansion. The only exception I can think of is fixes that I can't get published because "oh man you sold us the bad version of this expansion, where's our upgrade pack product that isn't actually worth buying because it's all mild tweaks and sometimes even weakens the cards." I haven't made those fixes but I've considered doing it for ~5 Hinterlands cards.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: November 27, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »

I haven't made those fixes but I've considered doing it for ~5 Hinterlands cards.

Obligatory "what are those fixes?" question.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: November 27, 2017, 03:35:00 pm »

Will the last Dominion expansion (ever) be designed by you? Put differently: what's the likelihood of RGG publishing an expansion designed primarily by someone else?

Relatedly, how likely are we to see a re-implementation by you or another designer? Rather than just a thin re-theme (i.e. not Star Wars Dominion); I'm thinking more of something like what Wei-Hwa Huang did with Roll for the Galaxy.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: November 27, 2017, 05:08:13 pm »
+5

Will the last Dominion expansion (ever) be designed by you? Put differently: what's the likelihood of RGG publishing an expansion designed primarily by someone else?

Relatedly, how likely are we to see a re-implementation by you or another designer? Rather than just a thin re-theme (i.e. not Star Wars Dominion); I'm thinking more of something like what Wei-Hwa Huang did with Roll for the Galaxy.

I have lots of great ideas for that! We could add Japanese maids and big pink hearts (and make Silvermaid cost 4 and add many other balance improvements like removing Actions), or have letters on cards to make it scrabble-style, or we could even put everything on tokens for ease of use. Or maybe make a market with cards that change all the time. That would be nice. With factions and stuff. And spaceships.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:45 pm »
+4

Well after you're dead you don't have much of a say. I have no plans to have other people make sets. Richard Garfield expressed an interest in co-designing a set once, and I can't think of someone who would have a better chance of getting the gig, but I would rather make some new game with him, which hasn't happened either, but I mean, if he mentions it again I will have that same comeback.

I have had big plans to make Dominion spin-offs for 10 years now. I worked on two, that ended up published as Kingdom Builder and Temporum. I would still like to make some.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »
+1

or have letters on cards to make it scrabble-style,
Back when, to give an example of how far you could go with a Magic expansion (if you didn't care about e.g. maintaining the same player base), I would say, you could do the Scrabble expansion. You try to make words with your cards.

Then in some conversations about Dominion, I had that handy example and used it; you could make the Scrabble expansion.

I finally stopped using that example because as you know someone made that game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 27, 2017, 06:28:13 pm »
+1

I have had big plans to make Dominion spin-offs for 10 years now. I worked on two, that ended up published as Kingdom Builder and Temporum. I would still like to make some.

I guess I still don't understand this. What is the window where something is similar enough to be a "Dominion spin-off" instead of just another game, but not so similar that it could have been a Dominion expansion? I don't get the sense that you feel it, but there should be an enormous push to make anything sufficiently Dominion-like into a Dominion expansion so that you can combine it with everything else. It's really, really nice to be able to combine it both from a rules-learning perspective and for the sheer joy of seeing the old stuff with the new stuff.

Since obviously you're not going to get into specifics of what a Dominion spin-off might someday look like, perhaps you could just say, why do you feel the push to specifically make "Dominion spin-offs" rather than Dominion expansions and also unrelated games?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »
+2

I guess I still don't understand this. What is the window where something is similar enough to be a "Dominion spin-off" instead of just another game, but not so similar that it could have been a Dominion expansion? I don't get the sense that you feel it, but there should be an enormous push to make anything sufficiently Dominion-like into a Dominion expansion so that you can combine it with everything else. It's really, really nice to be able to combine it both from a rules-learning perspective and for the sheer joy of seeing the old stuff with the new stuff.
At this point I feel the opposite - that if an expansion could work as a spin-off, that's a better direction for it. It's fun to combine all the cards, but you already have so much of that. A new Dominion expansion has a nice minimum built-in audience, but also a maximum one.

My idea of a spin-off is not to copy Dominion in its entirety and then add some mechanics, like lots of people have told themselves was good enough to qualify as a new game. My imaginary spin-offs are much more different from Dominion. Kingdom Builder was, you play on the board to get cards, you play cards to play on the board. It could not have been a Dominion expansion, any which way. Temporum I don't want to go into but it couldn't have been a Dominion expansion either.

Since obviously you're not going to get into specifics of what a Dominion spin-off might someday look like, perhaps you could just say, why do you feel the push to specifically make "Dominion spin-offs" rather than Dominion expansions and also unrelated games?
I would love to make more unrelated games too of course.

A Dominion spin-off gets to be a different game in whatever great ways, just like an unrelated game. It gets to have new simple cards, that do whatever stuff you can do in this game; it gets to have Dominion-like cards that don't have to worry about not being strictly better/worse than any of Dominion's cards. It has a bigger minimum audience than a random new game, but a bigger maximum audience than a Dominion expansion.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »

Dominion 2: Reloaded, or Dominion 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 27, 2017, 08:22:58 pm »
+2

Dominion 2: Reloaded, or Dominion 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold?

Rolled Dominion: a dice version of the game re-themed in Colonial Virginia.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:08 pm »

For Dominion, note that I've posted joke Dominion cards many times in the forums. There's a thread collecting some of them.
Gosh. I've not seen that thread, and Google's not finding it. Anyone got the URL?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3996 on: November 27, 2017, 11:04:38 pm »
+2

Gosh. I've not seen that thread, and Google's not finding it. Anyone got the URL?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=114.0

The question is: which name is Donald's ghost account?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 28, 2017, 02:03:56 am »
+1

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2013.0

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 28, 2017, 04:57:02 am »

I know I am beating a dead horse here. Donald has repeatedly stated he is not going into Potions anymore.

That could be worked around by making the promo self-synergistic while interacting with potions and/or potion-cost cards. Possibly using the split-pile trick to reduce complexity.

Bribe
$2 Action
Discard a card from hand. All costs of cards in the kingdom are lowered by one * (where * is: Coin, Debt, Potion)

Something like this may give a nod to Potions.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:58:22 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 28, 2017, 06:14:50 am »
+4

I know I am beating a dead horse here. Donald has repeatedly stated he is not going into Potions anymore.

Bribe
$2 Action
Discard a card from hand. All costs of cards in the kingdom are lowered by one * (where * is: Coin, Debt, Potion)

Something like this may give a nod to Potions.

This is not the thread for card suggestions. Try the Variants forum instead.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 20 queries.