Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127097 times)

DrHandsomeface

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3750 on: March 24, 2017, 01:29:23 pm »

Any thoughts about a future expansion including more Guilds-like coin-token cards (including events, landmarks)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: March 24, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »
+6

Any thoughts about a future expansion including more Guilds-like coin-token cards (including events, landmarks)?
Experienced interviewers know that I leave such questions up to RGG, who also will not answer them.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:41 pm »
+8

Experienced interviewers know that I leave such questions up to RGG, who also will not answer them.

But what about an expansion themed on sharks with giant frickin' laser beams attached to their heads? Would you answer that one? I think that is a criminally-unused design space.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:30 pm »

But what about an expansion themed on sharks with giant frickin' laser beams attached to their heads? Would you answer that one? I think that is a criminally-unused design space.

How about a Dominion with nothing but really knarly attack cards?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: March 26, 2017, 10:27:06 am »

Why are some of your games published by Rio Grande, while others are published by Queen? Is it common for one designer to use multiple publishers?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 26, 2017, 02:00:25 pm »
+1

Why are some of your games published by Rio Grande, while others are published by Queen? Is it common for one designer to use multiple publishers?

Some cursory research reveals that yes, it is common. Ubiquitous even.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: March 26, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »
+5

When RGG doesn't want a game, what do you do then? Give up on it? It's nice to work with people you've already worked with, if it went well, but there are only so many of those and then you have to try other companies if you want to get games published. Reiner Knizia made it a point to try to get published by as many German publishers as possible; I'm just trying to do what's easiest, but like to try more than a few publishers before giving up on a good game.

Dominion - RGG
Monster Factory - RGG
Temporum - RGG
Kingdom Builder - Queen
Greed - Queen
Nefarious - Ascora Games, then Magellan / Mosigra
Pina Pirata - IELLO
Infiltration - Fantasy Flight
Gauntlet of Fools - Indie Boards & Cards

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: March 26, 2017, 06:13:08 pm »
+1

I guess it's just surprising that given Dominion's huge success; RGG wouldn't want to jump on Kingdom Builder.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: March 26, 2017, 10:12:33 pm »

I guess it's just surprising that given Dominion's huge success; RGG wouldn't want to jump on Kingdom Builder.
Maybe they didn't think it would sell well. Or didn't want to/couldn't invest the money. Or otherwise lacked some crucial bit to make it happen. Or felt it didn't fit their program. Or...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 26, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »
+12

After Dominion won the SdJ, it was still not a given that a company would even look at one of my games. It took winning two for people to say, okay, I guess we can check these out.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:46 am »
+1

If you're interested in such a game, might I recommend SmashUp? It even has its own version of Lost City!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: March 28, 2017, 02:37:26 am »
+3

Past results no guarantee of future success etc.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: April 13, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »
+1

So, I read Friedemann Friese's 2F-Spiele website and apparently one of his games uses mechanics from Dominion (together with mechanics from "Agricola" and "Through the Ages"). I understand he asked the authors of the three games first and thanks you as well as the other two on their website. I'm still curious has to how you feel about the game (it's "Fremde Federn" in German, don't know the English title). Did he give you a copy? Did you play it? If yes, was it fun?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: April 13, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
+2

So, I read Friedemann Friese's 2F-Spiele website and apparently one of his games uses mechanics from Dominion (together with mechanics from "Agricola" and "Through the Ages"). I understand he asked the authors of the three games first and thanks you as well as the other two on their website. I'm still curious has to how you feel about the game (it's "Fremde Federn" in German, don't know the English title). Did he give you a copy? Did you play it? If yes, was it fun?
I think this is the game that in English is called Copycat. The premise was combining mechanics from other games.

I have not played it, do not have it, and do not really know how it goes. I am interested in trying Friday sometime (his solitaire Dominion-like game).

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:07 am »

What about the Temporum Alternate Realities preview? :)
I heard the expansion is going to be released in about a week, so... :)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: April 14, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
+4

What about the Temporum Alternate Realities preview? :)
I heard the expansion is going to be released in about a week, so... :)
I think in this case I should wait until people can buy the product. At least I'll wait until my copies show up.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »

I'm going to start with a quote from your secret history of 2nd edition:

The main set and Intrigue have the most duds - the most cards that experienced players rarely buy, that usually aren't worth considering. Or, in the case of some main set cards, that just didn't add much to the game, didn't give you things to do

Apologies if you've answered this before, but are you using data gathered from online play when you assess how popular and/or strong cards are?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »
+1

Apologies if you've answered this before, but are you using data gathered from online play when you assess how popular and/or strong cards are?
No. I am not doing that.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: April 21, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
+1

You mentioned previously that complexity creep was an issue with continued expansions. I am curious how you would approach solving that problem.

I would like to make it clear that I am not trying to get you to reveal any information about future potential expansions. It is more of a theoretical question about how to continue to add to a game without it becoming overly complex and presenting entry barriers to new players.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: April 21, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »
+5

You mentioned previously that complexity creep was an issue with continued expansions. I am curious how you would approach solving that problem.

I would like to make it clear that I am not trying to get you to reveal any information about future potential expansions. It is more of a theoretical question about how to continue to add to a game without it becoming overly complex and presenting entry barriers to new players.
For Dominion the solution is to make spin-offs instead. Suddenly you can make very simple cards again.

Complexity creep is less of a problem when your game is more complex. Magic is crazy complex, and so you can make a huge number of very simple cards; with tens of thousands of cards over 25 years, they haven't done e.g. "destroy target tapped artifact." Complexity creep is also less of an issue the more redundancy is okay.

Dominion is very simple, and I decided to try to avoid redundancy, and so there aren't very many simple cards to make. At the same time adding complexity is a panacea, it solves all of your problems except increased complexity. I labored to reduce complexity in Empires and well there it is. So I mean. How would I approach solving the problem in Dominion? With the healthy attitude that it will be okay to fail.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: April 21, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »
+2

I labored to reduce complexity in Empires and well there it is.

I just want to say that I vastly prefer Empires to Adventures because it feels so much less complex. So, good jorb on that!

weety4

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: April 21, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »

I just want to say that I vastly prefer Empires to Adventures because it feels so much less complex. So, good jorb on that!
While it is mechanically simpler the alternative roads to VPs make it more difficult to evaluate Kingdoms.
Also, please more complexity for Dominion. It is after all a fairly simple game and expansion should always strive for complexity and not simplicity. Folks who want that can stick with base.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: April 21, 2017, 09:53:13 pm »

While it is mechanically simpler the alternative roads to VPs make it more difficult to evaluate Kingdoms.

I think that's a great way to frame it. The mechanics are less cumbersome but the decisions are still complex and interesting.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: April 23, 2017, 12:08:27 am »
+5

...expansion should always strive for complexity and not simplicity.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Expansions should strive for variety.  That's not to say complexity is necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an end unto itself.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: April 23, 2017, 03:56:54 am »
+11

I disagree with that wholeheartedly.  Expansions should strive for variety.  That's not to say complexity is necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an end unto itself.
I'll say it: complexity sucks.

Strategic complexity is fine; I'm not talking about that. Perhaps a misunderstanding along those lines is why there's a disparity here. I'm talking about rules complexity.

Ideally you quickly read the cards and then it takes a while to explore the implications. It's great when you play with a card a bunch and still don't have a handle on it. It's awful when your eyes glaze over at all the text; maybe I'll buy some other card and worry about that one later. When you mentally shorthand the card into something that's wrong and it matters. When you aren't sure what's supposed to happen and make a thread in the rules forum.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.