Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2126771 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3700 on: February 01, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »

Is it in your power to have the second edition entries merged with the first editions?  Second editions seem to be leading to a lot of balkanization for many games recently (Dominion, Agricola, Viticulture, etc.)
I do not understand this use of "balkanization." I don't have the ability to cause changes at BGG.

Because everyone knows that DXV is not a Slav to fashion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:56:53 pm by Marcory »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: February 01, 2017, 06:02:33 pm »
+1

Because everyone knows that DXV is not a Slav to fashion.
If you're quick there's a Jimmy Page joke waiting to be made in the Sentry thread.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3702 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »
+2

How come there are no cost-reducers, Remodelers, etc. that deal specifically with Debt in Empires?  So like Alchemy had Apprentice, Alchemist, and Apothecary, which care about Potions not during the Buy phase.  But Empires doesn't have any sort of mechanics for Debt (at least not one that I can think of).

EDIT: I guess Capital cares about Debt not during the Buy phase, but I think that's it.

It would have been cool if, say, a Landmark penalized you if you were in debt at the end of the game or something.

I think Tax and Mountain Pass would fall into that category.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:26 am »

Mountain Pass would fall into that category.

Misty Mountain Hop?

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: February 02, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »

You've stated before that originally you used one copy of each card as randomizers rather than having dedicated randomizers, and that this made Black Market setup quick and easy. Now that those blue-backed randomizers exist, do you use them? Do you pick events/landmarks by shuffling them into the randomizer deck or some other way? How do you do Black Market setup, particularly in regard to split piles?

Also, what is your favorite landmark and why?

I admit that the first paragraph is like 20% interview question and 80% looking for advice, sorry.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: February 02, 2017, 05:27:07 pm »
+2

You've stated before that originally you used one copy of each card as randomizers rather than having dedicated randomizers, and that this made Black Market setup quick and easy. Now that those blue-backed randomizers exist, do you use them? Do you pick events/landmarks by shuffling them into the randomizer deck or some other way? How do you do Black Market setup, particularly in regard to split piles?

I admit that the first paragraph is like 20% interview question and 80% looking for advice, sorry.

IIRC, Donald X. plays with his homemade cards, not the officially printed ones.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:30 pm »
+3

I still play the prototype; to save on printing I use one card from each pile as a randomizer, add it to the pile to play, take one back out when putting it away.

I usually don't play with promos when not testing them; it has been some years since I have played with Black Market irl. When I did play with it I always used a randomizer deck from an expansion not in use (I usually play with two expansions at once, 5 cards from each). If I had just blindly done that with Empires then I would have played with the top cards of split piles and not the bottom ones. Which would have been fine.

I dunno. Battlefield? It's classic.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: February 06, 2017, 10:40:54 am »

Was Empires designed with Dark Ages interactions in mind or did that just work out that way? Seems like there are a lot of cute combos/counters when mixing those sets.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »
+7

Was Empires designed with Dark Ages interactions in mind or did that just work out that way? Seems like there are a lot of cute combos/counters when mixing those sets.
There was no special attempt to interact with Dark Ages. Cards in general try to give you things to do with them, and Dark Ages is heavier on combo cards, so odds are Dark Ages has lots of interactions with whatever other expansion.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: February 07, 2017, 07:15:51 pm »

Hey, it's that guy that thinks this is the Kingdom Builder forums or something again.

I stumbled across another rule question recently.

You made a ruling (here) about playing with Families and Temple that says when you have 4 or 5 mandatory action placements due to using Temple on the previous turn only the 'non-Temple' 3 placements are required to be in a straight line to score Families.

I was wondering about the situation where you choose the Swamp terrain type from Marshlands, and have an extra Settlement (or 2) from Temple. I'm uncertain if this should be allowed to score points with Families.

Your first comment is a pretty clear 'no':
Quote from: Donald X.
Families doesn't care about the extra settlement, doesn't look at it.

But your second makes me want to ask just to be sure (emphasis mine):
Quote from: Donald X.
The rulebook .pdf I am looking at says "all 3," so it has to be 3 for you to get the points.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: February 07, 2017, 08:26:01 pm »
+4

I was wondering about the situation where you choose the Swamp terrain type from Marshlands, and have an extra Settlement (or 2) from Temple. I'm uncertain if this should be allowed to score points with Families.
If you pick Marsh, you don't score for Families.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: February 16, 2017, 10:54:53 am »
+5

Is Rats still your favorite child, or has something from one of the newer sets replaced it?

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: February 16, 2017, 12:58:21 pm »

(Apologies if this has been asked before)

It seems like the wording and template of cards is becoming more standardized both in print and in online Dominion. An example is the use of the coin symbol instead of the word "coins".

While coins, debt and VP chips have icons, other resources (notably cards/actions/buys) do not.

Did you ever consider using icons for them?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: February 16, 2017, 02:28:52 pm »
+5

Is Rats still your favorite child, or has something from one of the newer sets replaced it?
Rats is my favorite Dominion card.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
+4

It seems like the wording and template of cards is becoming more standardized both in print and in online Dominion. An example is the use of the coin symbol instead of the word "coins".

While coins, debt and VP chips have icons, other resources (notably cards/actions/buys) do not.

I routinely use a card symbol for +Cards in other games; you can see this in Nefarious. So I considered symbols early on, like I always did. I didn't have good symbols for +Actions and +Buys, so I used words.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:19 pm »

In the new Prosperity rules, it looks like Grand Market has an asterisk in its cost now?  Or is that just a smudge?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: February 16, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »

I routinely use a card symbol for +Cards in other games; you can see this in Nefarious. So I considered symbols early on, like I always did. I didn't have good symbols for +Actions and +Buys, so I used words.

Thanks for answering.

I don't think I ever felt like this would be helpful until playing Dominion online. It seems like the Adventures tokens and "decision cards" like Pawn would really benefit from icons, but I recognize that's not a given, especially with more abstract concepts like Actions and Buys.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: February 16, 2017, 04:17:55 pm »
+2

In the new Prosperity rules, it looks like Grand Market has an asterisk in its cost now?  Or is that just a smudge?
It has an asterisk now, yes. In line with other cards you can't just buy, or maybe can't.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: February 21, 2017, 09:59:36 am »

Is it the only card in the Supply to have an asterisk?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: February 21, 2017, 10:08:34 am »
+2

Peddler

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: February 22, 2017, 04:41:36 am »
+18

Depends on the Kingdom.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: March 05, 2017, 01:30:09 am »
+1

So, uh, what the heck is the point behind changing the shuffling rules in the second editions? I find the new shuffling rules to be a bit confusing, and they have a tendency to cause more rules questions than they answer.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: March 05, 2017, 01:56:07 am »

Have you listened to any of the tracks that have been released for 50 Song Memoir yet?  He's been releasing one a day as a countdown. I had listened to half a dozen online a few months ago, but decided to wait to listen to the entire album at once.

From what I remember, I liked the tracks I listened to. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: March 05, 2017, 03:16:36 am »
+2

So, uh, what the heck is the point behind changing the shuffling rules in the second editions? I find the new shuffling rules to be a bit confusing, and they have a tendency to cause more rules questions than they answer.
The point was to reduce confusion, and cut down on rules questions.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: March 05, 2017, 03:27:06 am »

Have you listened to any of the tracks that have been released for 50 Song Memoir yet?  He's been releasing one a day as a countdown.
This does not appear to be accurate. There were five three months ago and have been two more since then.

I have listened to those seven. I liked '83: Foxx and I, so I've heard that one more times than the rest. My expectations for the album are suitably low; there will be songs I like, but it's not going to be 69 Love Songs II.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.