Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127527 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #3450 on: October 12, 2016, 12:42:42 pm »

Then, a question from the past:
I see that Conspirator stayed the same with the second edition, despite the "peddler" wording being generally less confusing (counting actions in play vs actions you played).
Is there a specific reason for this? Was this change even considered?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: October 12, 2016, 12:54:52 pm »
+3

I see that Conspirator stayed the same with the second edition, despite the "peddler" wording being generally less confusing (counting actions in play vs actions you played).

As a whole, cards did not receive functional changes except for the reason that the original had an actual problem; not just for having an inferior option. Throne Room, etc, had accountability issues. Masquerade had an unintended side effect of stealing cards. Conspirator, while it would be easier to track the other way, doesn't have an actual problem.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: October 12, 2016, 01:13:52 pm »
+1

As a whole, cards did not receive functional changes except for the reason that the original had an actual problem; not just for having an inferior option. Throne Room, etc, had accountability issues. Masquerade had an unintended side effect of stealing cards. Conspirator, while it would be easier to track the other way, doesn't have an actual problem.

Most of these are the way you'll play them, either way. This also applies for Masquerade - it only locks out one very specific and very absusive use case, but doesn't change the way it play when you don't abuse it.

By the way, does this equal there being an errata for Masquerade in the sense that even first edition Masquerade works the way the new one is printed now? I certainly hope so.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: October 12, 2016, 01:20:30 pm »
+3

By the way, does this equal there being an errata for Masquerade in the sense that even first edition Masquerade works the way the new one is printed now? I certainly hope so.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16263.msg638886#msg638886

canonically, will the errata on mine, throne room, and moneylender apply retroactively? will the police come if i tell my friend that she has to play an action if she has one when she plays throne room
I recommend doing what you most want, unless it's stopping someone from doing what they want, unless what they want is also stopping someone from doing what they want, uh okay I think an even number of stoppings means it's okay, an odd number is bad.

For tournaments it will be up to the people running the tournament. If I were running a tournament I'd use the new cards and also go by the wordings on them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: October 12, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »
+6

I did consider that change, plus changing Mining Village somehow to get rid of Throne / Mining Village confusion. [And those were the only other changes really considered.]

Changing Conspirator would have mattered constantly, rather than rarely; the idea was not to really change cards. The situations that make the other changes matter are rare to essentially nonexistent; Conspirator would have been different in game after game, due to duration cards and reserve cards.

Also I didn't get to it in a timely fashion; I remembered it one day and LF said, well we'd have to test that, and he was right, it was enough of a buff to need testing, and that testing wasn't happening.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:08 pm »

Did you even have to play test Landmarks?
-The Compulsive Completist

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: October 24, 2016, 09:22:39 pm »
+7

Yeah, and it's a good thing we did. Originally they barely ever mattered.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: October 25, 2016, 02:55:40 am »
+9

They of course got a lot of testing. They were a bottleneck - as with Events we were only playing with two and so it takes a while to get them all into games, and then they distort testing of other elements so you can't use them when you really want to closely evaluate something else.

As with kingdom cards - which everyone can buy so why balance those either? - you still want them to matter enough, to not matter too much, and to be fun.

The Secret History of course lists lots of outtakes, as well as changes made to the published Landmarks. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15660.0

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:01 am »
+2

Can you tell us a bit more about that extra turn debt card that you mentioned in the secret history of the empires cards? Eg. did it have a restriction or was it just very expensive?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: October 26, 2016, 02:12:58 pm »
+5

Can you tell us a bit more about that extra turn debt card that you mentioned in the secret history of the empires cards? Eg. did it have a restriction or was it just very expensive?
"If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one." At 10 debt though that doesn't mean much given how quickly the card was dropped.

arcee

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: rchandra
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: November 03, 2016, 08:47:39 am »
+1

Who chose the size for Dominion cards, and why?

Were other sizes ever tested?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: November 03, 2016, 06:47:47 pm »
+5

Who chose the size for Dominion cards, and why?

Were other sizes ever tested?
No sizes were "tested." Jay picked an existing standard size of cards used in European card games. I think the idea was "this is a normal size I've used before."

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #3462 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »
+1

Do you use art for the prototypes of your new cards like you did back in the day?  If so would you ever consider posting them?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: November 04, 2016, 12:46:53 am »
+1

Do you use art for the prototypes of your new cards like you did back in the day?  If so would you ever consider posting them?

Most of the art ended up on isotropic, and is viewable on the wiki, up to Prince.  At one point, jsh was going to hook me up with the Adventures iso art, but that never ended up happening.  Some of it can be found in the enormous outtakes article Donald X wrote after Guilds, if you look hard enough.  For example, Royal Carriage is in there somewhere.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: November 04, 2016, 04:15:33 am »
+7

I still use google'd art, yes. For most cards in most games, although sometimes a particular kind of card doesn't get art for some reason, and in an early test of a game I may leave the art blank in case the game ends up changed a lot right away, or abandoned.

I don't really like posting the art as it's not mine. Technically someone could complain about me posting their copyrighted image. I went for it and posted the outtakes article anyway but I'm not looking to do more of that.

As wero notes most of the art was used on isotropic. A few prototype cards had the actual art (e.g. Goons was made to have something for that art) and so isotropic doesn't have that.

I am looking through Adventures and Empires for anything recognizable.
- Miser shows Scrooge McDuck.
- Transmogrify shows Calvin getting under the box.
- Groundskeeper is Hagrid.
- Labyrinth is from the movie.

A few cards must show up in the outtakes article as different cards:
- Dungeon, Artificer, Swamp Hag, Treasure Trove, Royal Blacksmith (the Old Blacksmith mouse), Farmers' Market, Engineer, Forum, Settlers.

LuciferousPeridot

• Bishop
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:40 am »

Why isn't Donate named Decimate?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: November 09, 2016, 09:19:50 am »

Hey Donald, I hear you won the US Presidency! What are your policies moving forward now that you have won the most prestigious job in all of the world?

Donald X. Trump: Make Dominion Great Again!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: November 09, 2016, 09:22:25 am »
+4

Why isn't Donate named Decimate?
...because I had a better name, no surprise there?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: November 09, 2016, 09:24:15 am »
+9

Hey Donald, I hear you won the US Presidency! What are your policies moving forward now that you have won the most prestigious job in all of the world?
It does super suck when your name reminds people of a famous person they hate. Thanks for mentioning it.

Are we done with this thread? It's another one of those times when the thread feels done.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: November 09, 2016, 10:23:36 am »

It does super suck when your name reminds people of a famous person they hate. Thanks for mentioning it.

Are we done with this thread? It's another one of those times when the thread feels done.

Dude, I always have tons of questions to ask at any given moment. Like, what is your favorite ice cream flavor?

And, more importantly, does it change over time? If yes, how has it changed?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: November 09, 2016, 11:00:34 am »
+8

Dude, I always have tons of questions to ask at any given moment. Like, what is your favorite ice cream flavor?
It's just, it doesn't seem fair to let you, by yourself, kill this thread. So I mean, maybe give it a rest?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: November 09, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »

And, more importantly, does it change over time? If yes, how has it changed?

The secret history of Donald X's favorite ice cream flavors.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3472 on: November 09, 2016, 01:14:12 pm »
+1

I think the most important question to ask is, if you could go back in time, which of your favorite ice cream flavors would you change and why?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:22 pm »
+4

1.) A lot of the Landmarks are basically "do this specific thing, get 2VP for it six times". Did you every try those with 1 or 3VP?

2.) Messenger seems like the perfect replacement for Woodcutter and Chancellor, yet you said that you started working on the second edition after Adventures was released. Did the card infuence your decision to get rid of the old ones?

3.) There hasn't been a draw to X card in quite a while, what's up with that? Do you consider that mechanic more of an exotic variant to regular draw instead of a basic game mechanic? It saddens me a little that draw to X engines are pretty rare, they're so much fun.

4.) Do you consider Travellers to have an Adventures flavour or could they fit into any expansion?

5.) The japanese community found out about forum/trader/goons/cost reduction. This is a lot less complicated than the last infinite loop people were presenting, so it may actually come up in a game. If you had time machine, would you have worded anything differently to avoid that or is it too unimportant?
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:19 pm »

3.) There hasn't been a draw to X card in quite a while, what's up with that? Do you consider that mechanic more of an exotic variant to regular draw instead of a basic game mechanic? It saddens me a little that draw to X engines are pretty rare, they're so much fun.

Diplomat is draw to X, except it's not completely busted in the situations that Library would be busted in and not completely useless in the situations were Library would be that. So that is one fairly recently released draw to X card. Apart from that, Empires couldn't have one because of Villa, Adventures couldn't have one because of Artificer (maybe not so bad) and Guilds was a small set and as such didn't have a lot of things. And before then half the sets did have draw to X.

1.) A lot of the Landmarks are basically "do this specific thing, get 2VP for it six times". Did you every try those with 1 or 3VP?

From The Secret History:

Colonnade: It was 1 VP when buying an Action you had in play, then 2 VP, then 2 VP with a limited supply of VP.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 225  All

Page created in 1.909 seconds with 20 queries.