Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2137268 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2925 on: April 05, 2016, 06:49:28 pm »
+4

What do you think is the best list of villages?
It was Kenya. 1947. Ernest Hemingway and I had been wandering around near Kilimanjaro for what seemed like months. We needed a donkey, or just any roughly donkey-like pack animal. We would have settled for a trained duiker. But each village would just send us to the next village; oh yes, they have a donkey there. That's where the donkeys are. But there was never a donkey.

Hemingway became convinced we'd already seen all of the villages, that we were just going in circles. So he made a list of all the villages, noting which other village they'd sent us to, drawing an arrow between them. It was a complex pattern that he came to believe held great significance. I felt like each village had just sent us randomly to another nearby one. I made my own list and drew in random arrows, to see if I could fool him with it. He wasn't fooled. "That gibberish will never get us a donkey," he said. Still I was proud of it.

There's a short story Hemingway wrote about Kilimanjaro.

Does it involve Kilimanjaro rising like Olympus above the Serengeti?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 05, 2016, 07:03:36 pm »

What do you think is the best list of villages?
It was Kenya. 1947. Ernest Hemingway and I had been wandering around near Kilimanjaro for what seemed like months. We needed a donkey, or just any roughly donkey-like pack animal. We would have settled for a trained duiker. But each village would just send us to the next village; oh yes, they have a donkey there. That's where the donkeys are. But there was never a donkey.

Hemingway became convinced we'd already seen all of the villages, that we were just going in circles. So he made a list of all the villages, noting which other village they'd sent us to, drawing an arrow between them. It was a complex pattern that he came to believe held great significance. I felt like each village had just sent us randomly to another nearby one. I made my own list and drew in random arrows, to see if I could fool him with it. He wasn't fooled. "That gibberish will never get us a donkey," he said. Still I was proud of it.

There's a short story Hemingway wrote about Kilimanjaro.

Probably.

I really liked The Old Man and The Sea, and well, Donald seems to know all about this Kilimanjaro business, so I figure it must be a good short story. Or at least, it's a hint about Dominion: Empires. Possible confirmed Ernest Hemingway card?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: April 06, 2016, 12:18:04 am »

Plus, as they traveled from village to village, they had to carry all of their food with them. Fortunately, they were always able to exchange it for even better food when they arrived in the next village, leading Hemingway to write A Movable Feast. They saved on porters by storing their valuables on sandbars on the Tana river, whence Islands in the Stream.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:24:23 am by Marcory »

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: April 06, 2016, 02:45:36 am »
+4

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Now I can stop thinking, "dude, a lepress is a female leper, not a female leopard" whenever I hear that song.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: April 06, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »
+1

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Now I can stop thinking, "dude, a lepress is a female leper, not a female leopard" whenever I hear that song.

So I wasn't the only one!

(Not that trying to create a simile that compares one mountain to another mountain is THAT much better . . . )

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: April 06, 2016, 04:10:38 pm »
+2

Ohhhhhhhhh.

(Not that trying to create a simile that compares one mountain to another mountain is THAT much better . . . )
You've gone pretty deep inside the analysis of that song.  Do you seek to cure it?
Or are you frightened of the thing you might become?
I'll go kill myself now.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X. (tangentelmundo)
« Reply #2931 on: April 06, 2016, 04:12:35 pm »

Ohhhhhhhhh.

You've gone pretty deep inside the analysis of that song.  Do you seek to cure it?
I'll go kill myself now.
What song is this?  I know I've heard it. These lines sound familiar, but I don't remember what song they're from.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Interview with Donald X. (tangentelmundo)
« Reply #2932 on: April 06, 2016, 04:14:40 pm »

Ohhhhhhhhh.

I'll go kill myself now.
What song is this?  I know I've heard it. These lines sound familiar, but I don't remember what song they're from.

I don't have any recollection of having ever heard these lyrics, but the song is Africa by Toto.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: April 06, 2016, 04:17:52 pm »

I don't have any recollection of having ever heard these lyrics, but the song is Africa by Toto.
Indeed:
...I know that I must do what's right,
Sure as Kiliminjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti,
I seek to cure what's deep inside,
Frightened of this thing that I've become.
Ooohhhhh...
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

BlackHole

• Baron
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: April 08, 2016, 04:49:19 pm »
+4

How did the reserve concept develop? You mentioned in some secret histories that a mechanic like that already existed in (the) dark ages, but were there differences between the old and the new variant, or did you completely take over the old variant?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: April 08, 2016, 06:40:08 pm »
+7

How did the reserve concept develop? You mentioned in some secret histories that a mechanic like that already existed in (the) dark ages, but were there differences between the old and the new variant, or did you completely take over the old variant?
Royal Carriage in Dark Ages (called Procession in its day) was essentially identical to Royal Carriage as published. It didn't refer to a mat. Okay I dug up an image, and in text form it's:

Procession: Action, $5
+1 Action
Set this card aside.
----------
While this is set aside, when you play an Action card, you may put this into play. If you do, play that Action card again after it resolves.

I don't remember the particular spark for that card in Dark Ages. Probably it was "what if there was a Throne Room you could save until you needed it." We liked the card but it needed a mat and couldn't have one.

For Adventures, I was looking at what a Seaside sequel could do. Seaside had mats, though it didn't get much use out of them. One obvious nice thing to do with a mat was to save cards for later, like that Dark Ages card. And why wouldn't that work; it had already worked on that Dark Ages card. So I tried some out.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »

Two questions:

1. Do you remember the exact release time for Intrigue? I know the year and month, but do you know the day? Do you know if it was in the morning or afternoon?

2. Income questions probably aren't appreciated, but I recently learned that by 2010 you had sold over 1 million copies of Dominion and friends. Congratulations! Would you say, compared to other game designers, you make more money than them (I understand if you don't want to answer any questions like these)?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: April 12, 2016, 02:12:00 am »
+1

1. Do you remember the exact release time for Intrigue? I know the year and month, but do you know the day? Do you know if it was in the morning or afternoon?
I don't remember, but it's easy enough to look up the date on BGG. People post things like "I got it!" There isn't a release time-of-day.

2. Income questions probably aren't appreciated, but I recently learned that by 2010 you had sold over 1 million copies of Dominion and friends. Congratulations! Would you say, compared to other game designers, you make more money than them (I understand if you don't want to answer any questions like these)?
Well if you don't have a hit then you aren't making any money from board games. If you have a hit then you could certainly be doing better than me. You can just look at sales rank on Amazon or whatever similar thing you prefer.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:16 pm »
+1

Will we ever have another card that gives + 3 Actions (like Crossroads)?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: April 13, 2016, 02:11:21 pm »
+1

Spoilers: He can't say yes or no to this.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2940 on: April 13, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »
+1

Coin of the Realm is the equivalent of a card that gives +3 Actions since it is called after you play an action.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:13:37 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: April 13, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »

Coin of the Realm is the equivalent of a card that gives +3 Actions since it is called after you play an action.

Similarly, Fishing Village gives you a total of 3 Actions.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: April 13, 2016, 02:59:09 pm »
+1

Buying Port is very similar to buying a card that says "+1 card, +3 actions".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2943 on: April 13, 2016, 03:02:32 pm »
+2

I thought it was called Coin of the Realm.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: April 13, 2016, 06:09:45 pm »
+3

As others have noted that isn't the type of question I answer.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: April 13, 2016, 06:27:29 pm »
+1

Have you ever had a dream about a new card that ended up making it into an actual set (or something based on an idea in a dream)?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: April 13, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »
+4

Have you ever had a dream about a new card that ended up making it into an actual set (or something based on an idea in a dream)?
I have thought of a card in a dream and tried it, but I don't remember if it was for Dominion or some other game, or what it was or if it survived.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: April 13, 2016, 08:22:08 pm »
+1

I have thought of a card in a dream and tried it, but I don't remember if it was for Dominion or some other game, or what it was or if it survived.

But how can you be sure of where the dream really ends?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: April 13, 2016, 08:36:33 pm »
+13

He has only to check whether his Journey token has flipped, of course.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: April 13, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »
+21

William Poundstone suggests keeping a book of limericks by your bed, and not reading it. If you ever think you're dreaming, go to your bedroom, open the book, and read a limerick. You can't compose a limerick instantly on the spot, but you can recognize one when you read it.

Obv. professional limerick-writers may wish to use a different test.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 226  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.