Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127740 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2850 on: February 26, 2016, 03:05:28 pm »
+3

Do you think you will ever regret making the "When you trash this, gain an Attach card" clause on Squire?  I would think this sort of puts an upper limit on how expensive/powerful attack cards can be, because with Squire you can potentially gain them super easily.  So lets say for some reason you wanted to make a $10 attack card that was basically a game-changer if obtained (similar to how Prince, Champion, and Teacher can have a great effect on the rest of the game).  Squire would break the mechanic of having to naturally buy such a card.
I don't regret that although you're correct that it's a thing. I would either be accepting that some games would have that combo (which does require a third piece - the way to trash Squire - unless the big attack is also a way to trash Squire and even then that probably delays you a lot), or would be tweaking the new card to get rid of it.

That doesn't sound so bad though. I couldn't make an $8 attack where all $8 was being paid for the attack; people would hate it. And if it's a big positive effect plus a minor attack, probably I can happily take off the attack part.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: February 26, 2016, 05:03:41 pm »
+2

Recently you seem to have relaxed your self-imposed rule against giving strategy advice. What was the inspiration?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 26, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »
+20

Recently you seem to have relaxed your self-imposed rule against giving strategy advice. What was the inspiration?
I was just trying to make sure people were having fun talking about Dominion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:54 pm »

Do you think you will ever regret making the "When you trash this, gain an Attach card" clause on Squire?  I would think this sort of puts an upper limit on how expensive/powerful attack cards can be, because with Squire you can potentially gain them super easily.  So lets say for some reason you wanted to make a $10 attack card that was basically a game-changer if obtained (similar to how Prince, Champion, and Teacher can have a great effect on the rest of the game).  Squire would break the mechanic of having to naturally buy such a card.
I don't regret that although you're correct that it's a thing. I would either be accepting that some games would have that combo (which does require a third piece - the way to trash Squire - unless the big attack is also a way to trash Squire and even then that probably delays you a lot), or would be tweaking the new card to get rid of it.

That doesn't sound so bad though. I couldn't make an $8 attack where all $8 was being paid for the attack; people would hate it. And if it's a big positive effect plus a minor attack, probably I can happily take off the attack part.

Would you ever consider getting around an issue like that by simply removing "attack" from the type? That would of course simply make the card stronger as it prevents reactions from working. And I'm sure plenty of people would complain about it as in "this card really should be an attack!"
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:08 pm »
+3

Would you ever consider getting around an issue like that by simply removing "attack" from the type? That would of course simply make the card stronger as it prevents reactions from working. And I'm sure plenty of people would complain about it as in "this card really should be an attack!"
I don't think I want an attack that doesn't say "attack."

There might other approaches. For example there's having an extra cost - like, "when you gain this, you may trash a Gold from your hand. if you don't, trash this." Then it's harder to get even if you get it via Squire. Those things uh have all the problems they have. Starting with, when you put in the dividing line and that text, not a lot of space is left.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 26, 2016, 08:19:02 pm »
+5

<cough>IGG<cough>Raid<cough>

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 26, 2016, 09:15:52 pm »
+3

If I were making the game today, possibly I would put "Attack" inside card text, and phrase Moat appropriately, and then I could let you Moat IGG and Raid and a bought Noble Brigand, and you could wait to reveal Moat for e.g. Minion until they picked the attack. I might not; I'd have to try it. I didn't think of it though, and it's not doable now.

Anyway IGG and Raid are not all that much like dropping the word "attack" from e.g. Militia. Masquerade is more like it. Somehow people complain more about Tribute.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: February 27, 2016, 01:26:13 am »

If I were making the game today, possibly I would put "Attack" inside card text, and phrase Moat appropriately, and then I could let you Moat IGG and Raid and a bought Noble Brigand, and you could wait to reveal Moat for e.g. Minion until they picked the attack. I might not; I'd have to try it. I didn't think of it though, and it's not doable now.

Anyway IGG and Raid are not all that much like dropping the word "attack" from e.g. Militia. Masquerade is more like it. Somehow people complain more about Tribute.

People complain about Tribute being an "attack"?  That's... surprising.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 27, 2016, 01:34:48 am »
+1

There are at least a couple BGG threads about it, and I see a reddit thread where someone says they house ruled it to an attack.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: February 27, 2016, 02:31:47 am »

Masquerade is more like it. Somehow people complain more about Tribute.
Tribute rarely bothers me at all.  Masq...yeah, it hurts a lot more often, and I think I'd have preferred it as an attack.  You'd just have to say something like "Each player passes a card from his hand to the next affected player on his left".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:07 am »

The concept of Schrödinger's Deck is lost on many casual gamers.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: February 27, 2016, 01:12:09 pm »
+2

Also I think MtG fans are used to the idea that forcing your opponent to cycle their deck is something you do to hurt them.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2862 on: February 27, 2016, 01:29:53 pm »
+2

Also I think MtG fans are used to the idea that forcing your opponent to cycle their deck is something you do to hurt them.

As an MtG fan, I'm used to the idea that forcing your opponent to cycle their deck is something you do to help them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: February 27, 2016, 01:40:48 pm »

As an MtG fan, I'm used to the idea that forcing your opponent to cycle their deck is something you do to help them.
Yeah, obv. you can sometimes actually run them out of cards and win, but in Magic people have always vastly overrated the negative effects of having cards "milled." And many environments have made it noticeably bad to mill your opponent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: February 27, 2016, 07:01:10 pm »

Why is milling good or bad in Magic?

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: February 27, 2016, 07:04:28 pm »
+6

Bad: You lose if you need to draw a card from your empty deck.
Good: More cards in graveyard to be used as a resource.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: February 27, 2016, 07:06:44 pm »

Bad: You lose if you need to draw a card from your empty deck.
Good: More cards in graveyard to be used as a resource.

Oh... apparently I totally don't remember Magic rules.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: February 27, 2016, 07:19:33 pm »

The thing with Magic is that there's 2 general ways that you cycle/mill cards:

1. You are milling them yourself because your deck is built around having stuff in the graveyard.
2. Your opponent is milling them because his deck is built around wining via emptying your deck.

It's not like your opponent is going to play just a couple cards that would make you discard the top of your library. If he's playing cards like that, then his entire deck is designed to do it enough to win by making you run out of cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 27, 2016, 07:26:34 pm »

Well, if a player has some sort of combo deck, getting milled can be bad if it discards all the copies of a key component of the combo (unless he has a way to get them back from his graveyard). So even if on average it has no effect, in any single game it can be an instant loss for that player.

Granted, milling only because you are hoping for that seems like a pretty terrible idea.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:27:55 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: February 27, 2016, 09:41:07 pm »
+1

Well, if a player has some sort of combo deck, getting milled can be bad if it discards all the copies of a key component of the combo (unless he has a way to get them back from his graveyard). So even if on average it has no effect, in any single game it can be an instant loss for that player.

Granted, milling only because you are hoping for that seems like a pretty terrible idea.

Milling is just as likely to make an opponent draw his key card that he otherwise wouldn't have drawn as it is to make him miss his key card.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: February 27, 2016, 09:54:17 pm »

The difference being that MtG has tutors!

EDIT: another difference is that combo decks tend to stall the game until they get the key components in hand. If the deck is good enough at stalling as to eventually draw their whole deck if needed, then milling away a key component is also hurtful.

Note that I haven't actually played MtG that much, but I've played other CCGs where the same concepts applied.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:59:53 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2871 on: February 28, 2016, 06:19:01 am »
+1

The difference being that MtG has tutors!

EDIT: another difference is that combo decks tend to stall the game until they get the key components in hand. If the deck is good enough at stalling as to eventually draw their whole deck if needed, then milling away a key component is also hurtful.

Note that I haven't actually played MtG that much, but I've played other CCGs where the same concepts applied.

In MtG, combo decks don't stall the game. They mulligan until they get the key components in hand and then they win faster than aggro decks do, and a lot of them do so by utilizing the graveyard in one way or another.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: February 29, 2016, 07:13:03 am »

Milling is just as likely to make an opponent draw his key card that he otherwise wouldn't have drawn as it is to make him miss his key card.

Plus no one knows the deck better than the wizard who crafted it. The information which cards are not available anymore is much more useful to her than her opponent.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2873 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:16 pm »

What constitutes a big horizontal line on a card?  I kind of thought it separates things that happen on-play vs. things that happen at some other time like during setup (Young Witch), as a reaction (Secret Chamber), during cleanup (Treasury), etc.  But that doesn't explain why Nobles has it but Harem doesn't.  Or why Lighthouse has it but other Durations don't.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 08, 2016, 10:38:29 pm »
+2

What constitutes a big horizontal line on a card?  I kind of thought it separates things that happen on-play vs. things that happen at some other time like during setup (Young Witch), as a reaction (Secret Chamber), during cleanup (Treasury), etc.  But that doesn't explain why Nobles has it but Harem doesn't.  Or why Lighthouse has it but other Durations don't.

It signifies an effect that happens other than when the card is played.  Duration cards don't have them because the Duration effect is set up when the card is played - it's not a "while in play" effect (except for Lighthouse and Bridge Troll).  Same with Scheme.  Effects that are not under a dividing line can be Throned.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.