Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2140684 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2825 on: February 24, 2016, 12:15:41 pm »
+7

Where did you go to college (if you did)? Did you major in anything relevant to game design?
I got a full-time computer programming job when I was 16. I did end up putting myself through a couple years of college on the side, after saving up. I majored in math. Game designers are often math people.

I hemmed and hawed on the "where." I dunno, it's not too interesting and just a little too stalkery.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »
+22

Give me tips on how to get 10,000 respect

Also, Donald earned 13 respect for typing just, "I think so."  Maybe try responding to everything with "I think so."

reserved
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: February 24, 2016, 01:35:52 pm »
+6

Also, Donald earned 13 respect for typing just, "I think so."  Maybe try responding to everything with "I think so."

reserved
I always want to post "outgoing" after the last "reserved."

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: February 25, 2016, 10:22:20 am »
+7

Where did you go to college (if you did)? Did you major in anything relevant to game design?
I got a full-time computer programming job when I was 16. I did end up putting myself through a couple years of college on the side, after saving up. I majored in math. Game designers are often math people.

I hemmed and hawed on the "where." I dunno, it's not too interesting and just a little too stalkery.

Donald, what is your address and home phone number?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: February 25, 2016, 10:27:39 am »
+4

Donald, what is your address and home phone number?
Donald, what is your credit card number?

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: February 25, 2016, 12:53:22 pm »
+1

Be Donald X.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:13 pm »
+3

Be Donald X.

Donald, what's your SSN?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: February 25, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
+2

Be Donald X.

Donald, what's your SSN?

Donald, what is your F.DS login info?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: February 25, 2016, 02:34:13 pm »
+17

Donald X. was born in 1969, after years of not existing. Of his life, little is known. Donald X. is like something you've forgotten that no-one wants you to remember. He's everything and nothing, but not at the same time. If you rotate Donald X. 360 degrees, he'll only be standing upside down. You have to rotate him 720 degrees to get him back where he started. You know how if you hook tons and tons of computers together, maybe they'll develop some kind of bizarre mass sentience? That's Donald X. in a nutshell. In fact Donald X. is nothing more than a corrupt, profane monument to a slightly earlier version of himself.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2834 on: February 25, 2016, 03:14:08 pm »

Donald X. was born in 1969, after years of not existing. Of his life, little is known. Donald X. is like something you've forgotten that no-one wants you to remember. He's everything and nothing, but not at the same time. If you rotate Donald X. 360 degrees, he'll only be standing upside down. You have to rotate him 720 degrees to get him back where he started. You know how if you hook tons and tons of computers together, maybe they'll develop some kind of bizarre mass sentience? That's Donald X. in a nutshell. In fact Donald X. is nothing more than a corrupt, profane monument to a slightly earlier version of himself.

So when you see an Xbox 360, you walk away on your hands?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: February 25, 2016, 03:37:11 pm »
+6

It's a spinor joke.

I would try to explain it more precisely, but then you wouldn't know where I am going.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:05 pm »

It's a spinor joke.

I would try to explain it more preciselycompletely, but then you wouldn't know where I am going.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: February 25, 2016, 05:18:14 pm »

It's a spinor joke.

I would try to explain it more precisely, but then you wouldn't know where I am going.
Looked it up on Wikipedia and am now freaking out. Here's a quote from there:

No one fully understands Donald X. Their game is formally understood but their general significance is mysterious. In some sense they describe the "rules" of Dominion and, just as understanding of blue dogs took centuries, the same might be true of Donald X.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:20:48 pm by liopoil »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: February 25, 2016, 05:26:32 pm »
+13

It's a spinor joke.

Once on BGG, someone edited that joke out of my bio. They changed it to 180 and 360, noting that they were fixing a math error.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: February 25, 2016, 05:27:01 pm »

- Write what you know. But don't write about writing. If that's what you know, you're in trouble.
- Believe in yourself. If you're fictional, try breaking the 4th wall. There's gotta be a way out.
- The real respect was inside you the whole time!
- Pick different units. Why you're already well over 2000 in dog-respect.
- Have you tried socking it to anyone?
- Get 9999 respect, and then just make one more good post.

Did you ever try stand up comedy?

Have I already asked you that?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: February 25, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »

It's a spinor joke.

Once on BGG, someone edited that joke out of my bio. They changed it to 180 and 360, noting that they were fixing a math error.

People on BGG can be... problematic.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2841 on: February 25, 2016, 05:37:01 pm »

It's a spinor joke.

People on BGG can be... problematic.

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to turn just 180 degrees when you see an Xbox 360.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: February 25, 2016, 08:50:46 pm »
+10

Did you ever try stand up comedy?

Have I already asked you that?
I don't think you've asked.

I tried it briefly when I was 16 or 17. My routine started, "I was young as a child." There was a competition. The top 3 people got prize money; I came in 4th. They had it in again next week but decided to split the cash between the top 2; I came in 3rd. Next week, lower attendance, they just gave the money to the top guy. I came in 2nd. I missed the next week and they never had it again.

I've also written an Airplane!-style comedy, which is where the Hinterlands blurb comes from. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..." I always look through it when writing those blurbs, but I think that's the only joke I've taken from it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: February 25, 2016, 10:20:30 pm »
+5

And when I read that story I knew I had heard it before.  I asked about a year back:

Based on how this thread has been going, have you ever considered standup comedy?
I've considered being a writer, and wrote an Airplane!-style comedy screenplay in the early oughts, which the Hinterlands blurb comes from. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

I did try a local stand-up competition when I was 16. It ran weekly. The first night, the top 3 people finished in the money, and I came in 4th. The next night, attendance was down, they split the money between the top 2; I came in 3rd. The next night, just the top guy got paid; I came in 2nd. I skipped the next week and they never had it again.

I'd say you should give it another shot, but I think the game design thing is working better for you, and also no one should be taking life advice from me.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: February 25, 2016, 10:48:11 pm »
+1

And when I read that story I knew I had heard it before.  I asked about a year back:

Based on how this thread has been going, have you ever considered standup comedy?
I've considered being a writer, and wrote an Airplane!-style comedy screenplay in the early oughts, which the Hinterlands blurb comes from. "It's a big city out there, and we're little people..."

I did try a local stand-up competition when I was 16. It ran weekly. The first night, the top 3 people finished in the money, and I came in 4th. The next night, attendance was down, they split the money between the top 2; I came in 3rd. The next night, just the top guy got paid; I came in 2nd. I skipped the next week and they never had it again.

I'd say you should give it another shot, but I think the game design thing is working better for you, and also no one should be taking life advice from me.
Wow, crazy how he phrased his answer in nearly exactly the same way a year later with no memory of it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: February 25, 2016, 11:43:21 pm »
+6

Well you got slightly more information this time. Plus now I know I was 16, not 17. We all learned something today.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: February 26, 2016, 08:31:47 am »
+8

Ask again in a year and he'll be 15.

Phil

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sunfall
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: February 26, 2016, 09:14:56 am »
+2

I downloaded Dudes of Stuff and Things and, uh, it's really good.  I'm running it in WINE, because I use Linux.  I couldn't help but notice that there's a bunch of Turbo Pascal (or maybe Delphi?  It's been a while) code in dosdudes.zip.  Other than using Windows to render, are there any meaningful differences between the DOS version and the Windows one?  More importantly, would you be willing to let someone try and port the game to something more modern?  Not that I personally necessarily have much time to do so, but I'm sure you know that HoMM3 still has a pretty big fan-base on the Internet.

(Edit: Could be Delphi, I'm not sure.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:53:42 am by Phil »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2848 on: February 26, 2016, 02:12:44 pm »
+1

Do you think you will ever regret making the "When you trash this, gain an Attach card" clause on Squire?  I would think this sort of puts an upper limit on how expensive/powerful attack cards can be, because with Squire you can potentially gain them super easily.  So lets say for some reason you wanted to make a $10 attack card that was basically a game-changer if obtained (similar to how Prince, Champion, and Teacher can have a great effect on the rest of the game).  Squire would break the mechanic of having to naturally buy such a card.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: February 26, 2016, 02:56:53 pm »

I downloaded Dudes of Stuff and Things and, uh, it's really good.  I'm running it in WINE, because I use Linux.  I couldn't help but notice that there's a bunch of Turbo Pascal (or maybe Delphi?  It's been a while) code in dosdudes.zip.  Other than using Windows to render, are there any meaningful differences between the DOS version and the Windows one?  More importantly, would you be willing to let someone try and port the game to something more modern?  Not that I personally necessarily have much time to do so, but I'm sure you know that HoMM3 still has a pretty big fan-base on the Internet.

(Edit: Could be Delphi, I'm not sure.)
Thanks, it's in Borland Pascal 7 (they added objects in 5, and that remains the main difference between it and Turbo Pascal). I don't think there are any differences for the Windows version other than running in Windows.

I don't need to rule out a port, that someone else does, right this minute. I guess it would depend.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.5 seconds with 20 queries.