Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 225  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2127177 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2775 on: February 17, 2016, 06:15:23 pm »

Mercenary is the only terminal with both +cards and +coins.  Were other such terminals ever tested?  If so, why were they scrapped?
That's not exactly true. Tribute for example can do that. And uh Storeroom.

Trusty Steed anyone :)?

Pawn. Also Band of Misfits.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: February 17, 2016, 06:23:07 pm »
+4

Mercenary is the only terminal with both +cards and +coins.  Were other such terminals ever tested?  If so, why were they scrapped?

Peddler. Grand Market. Saboteur with Pathfinding and Training tokens on it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: February 17, 2016, 06:35:45 pm »

Also Ruined Mine with Pathfinding and Training.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: February 17, 2016, 06:38:08 pm »

I get the tokens bit, but Peddler and Grand Market can't ever be terminal.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: February 17, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »
+1

For this question, I would not have counted Trusty Steed or Pawn since they can be non-terminal if you want.  Tribute is iffy too since it is also sometimes non-terminal, but it's not your choice anyway so there it is.  Storeroom certainly works.

I think he's poking fun at you naming Band of Misfits, which doesn't give +cards or +coins itself.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: February 17, 2016, 06:50:33 pm »
+2

If Storeroom counts, then so does Vault.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: February 17, 2016, 07:11:11 pm »
+3

Also Ruined Mine with Pathfinding and Training.
You can't fool me, there is no such card.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: February 17, 2016, 07:11:56 pm »

I see, I forgot about that after seeing Pawn.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:27 pm »

I do think it ended up where every step is worth stopping on sometimes, except Page (and yes even then but way less often).

Huh, i always thought the whole point of Page was "Play 8 of these and then a Warrior." At least the carnage you can do with this left a lasting impression on me.

You've played a bunch of cantrips and drawn two cards because your opponent almost certainly has a Champion already?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: February 17, 2016, 08:42:14 pm »

Vault seems like a more interesting version of +2 cards, +2 coin that has a similar effect a lot of the time.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: February 17, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
+3

Huh, i always thought the whole point of Page was "Play 8 of these and then a Warrior." At least the carnage you can do with this left a lasting impression on me.
You've played a bunch of cantrips and drawn two cards because your opponent almost certainly has a Champion already?

What I've observed is that when Page is present, all of the players try to drive for Champion as hard as they can, but often one player's Warriors kill off the other players' Treasure Hunters and Warriors before they can make it to Hero.  By the time those players can repurchase and promote new Pages, the first has a Champion/Warrior engine running, and quickly gains or trashes the rest of the Warriors, ensuring that nobody else can get any of the higher-level Travelers. 

It doesn't always happen, but it's more common than I'd like; probably more than half the games with Page.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:39 pm »
+4

Do you get excited when you see there is a new post in this thread?  Do you feel let down after actually reading the post?  Is that happening now?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:07 pm »
+2

Do you get excited when you see there is a new post in this thread?  Do you feel let down after actually reading the post?  Is that happening now?

Yes
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:05 pm »

Yes

You're not Donald X!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: February 17, 2016, 10:13:03 pm »

All the forum games people are acting out & misbehaving lately.

Donald, any clue why? 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: February 17, 2016, 10:41:51 pm »
+8

Donald, any clue why?
Is it night?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 17, 2016, 11:26:34 pm »

Donald, any clue why?
Is it night?

Lol yup

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 17, 2016, 11:37:17 pm »
+4

NO TALKING ABOUT ONGOING GAMES.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 17, 2016, 11:57:09 pm »

Well for the step where I first had the two linear paths, I picked names first. One line was just someone getting better, the other told a little story. Then, the effects wanted to at least somewhat fit the names.

Oh, hm, starting with the names and then attaching effects to them. I remember you saying that happened with Pirate Ship as well. Are there other cards that have that history?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:18 am »

Oh, hm, starting with the names and then attaching effects to them. I remember you saying that happened with Pirate Ship as well. Are there other cards that have that history?
Very few. You can of course read all the secret histories, looking for them. Off the top of my head... Goons started with leftover art, then a name. Cultist tried to get a bonus ability to fit the name. I wanted a Giant, which suggested a slow attack.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: February 18, 2016, 04:00:08 am »

What I've observed is that when Page is present, all of the players try to drive for Champion as hard as they can, but often one player's Warriors kill off the other players' Treasure Hunters and Warriors before they can make it to Hero.  By the time those players can repurchase and promote new Pages, the first has a Champion/Warrior engine running, and quickly gains or trashes the rest of the Warriors, ensuring that nobody else can get any of the higher-level Travelers. 

It doesn't always happen, but it's more common than I'd like; probably more than half the games with Page.

This seems like it scales more with more players. I do think in 2P games, the whole Warrior trashing thing is not as bad as a lot of people think. At least, that has been my experience so far.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:23 am »

Donald, in the endless lists of outtakes there are some that you liked but that you say you had to cut because they wouldn't appeal to Dominion's estabilished fans. (for instance the Event that attacks every turn, or more Potion cards, in a way). What is your favourite card or mechanic that you chose to cut for such a reason?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 18, 2016, 06:25:42 am »
+1

This seems like it scales more with more players. I do think in 2P games, the whole Warrior trashing thing is not as bad as a lot of people think. At least, that has been my experience so far.

Try to win the Page split and reveal 6/7 cards per turn with just one Warrior. It trashes all Treasure Hunters/Warriors except yours sooner or later, and then you can build on the advantage you have. The point is to NOT exchange the Pages nor the Warrior until your opponent's deck is destroyed. Of course, if your opponent is lucky to get one Hero, or any $5 that helps hitting $5 (if one exists in the kingdom), you might need to abandon this strategy and get your Champion, possibly exchanging your Pages only after you got it (so they never run the risk of being trashed). I don't know about mirrors, but when your opponent just thinks of Warrior as a stepping stone, there's a good chance this strategy keeps him from ever lifting off.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:52:14 am by Asper »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 18, 2016, 08:19:23 am »
+1

I do think it ended up where every step is worth stopping on sometimes, except Page (and yes even then but way less often).

The point is that your opponent never gets a Champion, nor a Hero, and later not even a chance to play Treasure Hunter. If two players go for this, one will be lucky and trash the other's Warrior, and then that other player never really comes back. From this point onward you can actually make pretty much sure your opponent is incapable of ever reaching Champion, or attacking with Warrior. You kill every card he gains in the $3/$4 span, while having all the time in the world to keep building your engine (as long as the trash-a-ton keeps running). The fact Page is a Traveller actually supports this, as your opponent will put them back in the supply for you to gain when he exchanges them for Treasure Hunter. If there are no good $5s, or you can throw in something to keep your opponent from reaching $5, he can just as well quit. Even if there are, he basically has to hope for a hand with 5 Coppers to appear. I have done this in an actual game and know it works. Edit: Or, of course, he must buy something like Silver, hope to draw it in hand, and skip the Page line entirely. Treasure Hunter doesn't work, unless he trashed down, as either TH or Warrior (and Silver) will be trashed.

Obviously, if your opponent actually manages to get a Hero, you must switch plans, and exchange your Warrior for a Hero, and your Pages for Treaaure Hunters, to still have a chance. If your opponent's Warrior trashes yours, however, you can only hope he actually thinks Warrior is just a stepping stone and exchanges it. Either way, Warrior trashing Warrior is usually a big step towards winning, either way. Multipage-Warrior is a way to get there with a high probability, as Pages both boost your Warrior and defend against opponent's.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:30:03 am by Asper »

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 18, 2016, 10:08:19 am »
+1

The point is to NOT exchange the Pages nor the Warrior until your opponent's deck is destroyed.
I'll differ on the implementation, while agreeing with the overall observation.  You want to get one Traveler out of the vulnerable range and up to Champion ASAP so that your opponents' Warriors become ineffective.  Also, until all of the players have gotten Heroes, I would continue to upgrade Pages/THs toward Warrior as quickly as possible, because every Warrior you gain is a Warrior not available to your opponents, and your Warriors become attacking Labs once you have your Champion.

As soon as the Warrior pile empties, the race is over, and you should probably stop buying/upgrading Pages.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 225  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.