Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 226  All

Author Topic: Interview with Donald X.  (Read 2140751 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Donald X.
« Reply #2525 on: October 08, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »

If you were to allow yourself to publish one card (a promo, say) that for all sorts of reasons you would never, ever actually publish, what card would that be?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: October 09, 2015, 09:50:14 am »
+6

If you were to allow yourself to publish one card (a promo, say) that for all sorts of reasons you would never, ever actually publish, what card would that be?

Hypothetical Messed Up Highway For Having Bad Rules Conversations About How Confusing Phrasings That Would Never Exist Should Be Interpreted, obviously.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: October 09, 2015, 09:57:53 am »
+3

Enrage Game Creator - 6

+1 Action
+1 Card

While this is in play, if you would gain a curse, you may gain a silver instead. If you would discard this, you may instead set aside a card costing at least 3 from your discard pile. If so, gain an Inn, putting it directly into your discard pile, and toggle the state of the point counter.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:09 am »

Enrage Game Creator - 6

+1 Action
+1 Card

While this is in play, if you would gain a curse, you may gain a silver instead. If you would discard this, you may instead set aside a card costing at least 3 from your discard pile. If so, gain an Inn, putting it directly into your discard pile, and toggle the state of the point counter.

Need to make it a reaction as well.  "When another plays an Action or Treasure, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, each player reveals the top two cards of their deck and you chose one: discards both or put back in either order (your choice)."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: October 09, 2015, 05:44:29 pm »
+13

I can't really answer the question as given. I mean, it's not that I'm holding myself back. If there's a card I don't want published, I don't want it published. I allow myself, right now, and then, I pass, I don't want things published that I don't want published.

Sometimes a card is fun in playtesting but can't go out. It messes up the game in a fun way but it always does it and it's no good to always have that experience with the card. This is maybe the closest to what you're looking for. Man what was a good one of those. The ones I am thinking of are still just way too bad for me to get any joy thinking about them being published. Like War Axe was fun in its day; a Silver with a when-gain trashing attack. You have a sub-game of buying them out and then some players may be utterly out of the game but still trapped in it. It's not an experience I am looking to have more of or share, but I did enjoy those games.

Sometimes a card is too powerful in a way that doesn't let me just weaken it. Adventures had the TFB mix of +1's; we had a lot of fun with that crazy thing. You can't just always make the cards weak enough because of the coarseness of the costs and not wanting microtext.

Sometimes a great simple classic idea just doesn't happen to work in Dominion, like "each other player discards a card."

Sometimes a card looks cool on paper but fails to be fun. For example the card that increases numbers in another card's text, that sounds like a great promo until you try it.

Sometimes I like a card more than my playtesters, and end up abandoning it for that reason. Treasure Hunter is a good example, I mean that one did come out, but it was around for years, failing to make it into expansions, before it finally made it as one level on the Page path. If I'm forced to pick an outtake to be published, man, I take one of these. Maybe one of the Remodel your top card cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: October 13, 2015, 06:07:54 pm »

Do you think you'll ever call another card that gives +2 Actions a "_________ Village"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:17 pm »
+9

Do you think you'll ever call another card that gives +2 Actions a "_________ Village"?
I am going to recast your question as one I prefer answering: what do I think of having "Village" in the name of a +2 Actions card. I think it's good, it helps you learn the cards and connects it to those other Villages. It's not mandatory though as has been demonstrated.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: October 14, 2015, 05:46:05 am »
+1

Will we ever see a Villager, Mayor or Village Idiot?

Also, what's your own favourite expansion-specific mechanic? Which didn't get as good as you'd have liked (e.g. for time reasons)?

And do you occasionally have ideas for cards using old mechanics that you couldn't revisit anymore?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: October 14, 2015, 06:23:27 am »
+7

Village Idiot?

Village Idiot, Action,

+1 card
+2 actions
Gain Village Idiot. I you do, you can't buy any cards this turn.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 14, 2015, 06:37:17 am »
+6

Will we ever see a Villager, Mayor or Village Idiot?
Village Idiot was +2 Actions, each other player discards a card. It was in the large version of Alchemy and you can see it in the outtakes article. Mayor sounds too modern to me; the others are fine.

Also, what's your own favourite expansion-specific mechanic?
It seems difficult to be accurate or fair here. My knee-jerk answer is Events.

Within the broad realm of games with rules on cards, "choose one" is a star mechanic.

Which didn't get as good as you'd have liked (e.g. for time reasons)?
Well Alchemy was the only set where time constraints were a thing. And it's not as good as I'd like but the Potion mechanic itself probably wouldn't have changed if I'd had more time (except, if I'd had tons of time then I would have done something else and saved Potions for last as originally intended).

There are cards that aren't good enough that have set mechanics. But it's not the mechanic's fault. Okay the one thing I can see is, it would be better not to have both when-gain and when-buy. Simpler. But some cards had to have when-buy to exist, and everything else is more fun as when-gain.

And do you occasionally have ideas for cards using old mechanics that you couldn't revisit anymore?
I don't think there's any such mechanic; if I wanted to do more Reserve cards we'd include the Tavern mats and I could do it, if I wanted more Potion-costing cards we'd include Potions, and so on.

You could say, in some sense I can't revisit Potions because it would be stupid too, since so many people don't like Potions. I don't ever think of Potion-costing cards though because that's not really a thing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2535 on: October 14, 2015, 06:38:56 am »
+1

Village Idiot?

Village Idiot, Action,

+1 card
+2 actions
Gain Village Idiot. I you do, you can't buy any cards this turn.

Village Idiot
$0* Action

+2 actions
Return this to the Village Idiot pile. If you do, +1 Card per card in your hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: October 26, 2015, 05:28:46 am »

This must have been asked before, but I can't find it.

Have you ever considered making online only promos / expansions?
Without physical limitations, it seems there's much more you can do.

I already consider Philosopher's Stone sort of an online only card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: October 26, 2015, 08:58:42 am »
+1

Have you ever considered making online only promos / expansions?
Without physical limitations, it seems there's much more you can do.
I have not considered an online-only expansion; it's a lot of work that could instead go towards a physical expansion that could also appear online. It would just never seem preferable to rule out a physical expansion.

I have considered an online-only promo, to the extent that Peasant/Page came from that considering. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13082.0

MF has not been interested in an online-only promo so far, but if and when I will consider it again.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2538 on: October 26, 2015, 09:03:34 am »
+13

Have you checked out the Forum Games and the Dominion League?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:52 am »
+5

Oh man, forum games, those sound amazing.

I have been in both forums, though they are not regular hang-outs. I have a thread in Forum Games, and posts in the League forum.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: October 26, 2015, 02:44:38 pm »

Even if I liked Mafia, I don't think I'd want to play against Donald in Mafia.  I just imagine you being scary good.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: October 26, 2015, 02:46:17 pm »
+2

Even if I liked Mafia, I don't think I'd want to play against Donald in Mafia.  I just imagine you being scary good.

Come on, play.  What else are you going to to do, online Dominion?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: October 26, 2015, 08:31:17 pm »
+1

I would rather play Monopoly than any social deduction game that takes more than ten minutes.  Resistance, or Coup, or something like that, incredibly short social deduction game, I can deal with that.  But Monopoly >> Mafia/Werewolf
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: October 26, 2015, 08:44:09 pm »
+1

I would rather play Monopoly than any social deduction game that takes more than ten minutes.  Resistance, or Coup, or something like that, incredibly short social deduction game, I can deal with that.  But Monopoly >> Mafia/Werewolf

Could you express your preference with a slider?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: October 26, 2015, 08:50:06 pm »

Resistance taking less than 10 minutes? That a joke? I rarely play a game that lasts less than 30 minutes, most probably average about 45 to 60.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: October 27, 2015, 03:06:33 am »

Resistance taking less than 10 minutes? That a joke? I rarely play a game that lasts less than 30 minutes, most probably average about 45 to 60.

I looked it up, it's Coup, not Resistance.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: October 27, 2015, 11:30:58 am »

I looked it up, it's Coup, not Resistance.

Ah, by "Resistance, or Coup", you meant "the game I'm thinking of is either called Resistance or Coup". We read it as you listing 2 different short games you like.

Have you played One Night? I never got into Mafia/Werewolf, but One Night is awesome. It's Werewolf that takes less than 10 minutes to play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:32 pm »
+1

If there are more expansions, will Events be something that are possibly added regularly, or do you feel you did most of the "classic" ideas?

Also, would there possibly more "player interaction" Events, or is there a reason there was only the one in Adventures?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: October 28, 2015, 03:22:12 pm »

Also, would there possibly more "player interaction" Events, or is there a reason there was only the one in Adventures?

One thing I see with "attack Events" is that they aren't "attacks", and thus can't be blocked by Moat and such. This might make people dislike them.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: October 28, 2015, 04:21:00 pm »

One thing I see with "attack Events" is that they aren't "attacks", and thus can't be blocked by Moat and such. This might make people dislike them.

Is there anything inherently wrong with the type event|attack?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 226  All

Page created in 2.723 seconds with 20 queries.