Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Stats on first player advantage?  (Read 2406 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Stats on first player advantage?
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:58 pm »
+1

I remember from some of the earlier tournaments that some people would play sets and remark that first player won his game in every game of the set, or something along those lines. I think it would be interesting to collect data on this from this tournament and also examine how much first player advantage offsets a level disadvantage on average. Thoughts?

I'm not much of a math/CS guy and I don't have the faintest clue as to where to start.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Stats on first player advantage?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:52:07 pm »

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the first player winning every game of the set for seating order to have had a huge impact.  If both players win as second player an equal number of times, it still was all decided on the back of the game where an arbitrary player sat first.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:20 pm »

I am not so much interested as how going first in a first-to-4 set influences one's chance at winning so much as what percentage of games played in the tournament are won from first seat or second seat. Since I am assuming that higher seeded players will play more games from second seat (since they will win more often), perhaps we can quantify first player advantage as a skill difference between players?

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »

6 out of 7 games in my series were won by the first player.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:56:01 am »

I remember from some of the earlier tournaments that some people would play sets and remark that first player won his game in every game of the set, or something along those lines. I think it would be interesting to collect data on this from this tournament and also examine how much first player advantage offsets a level disadvantage on average. Thoughts?

I'm not much of a math/CS guy and I don't have the faintest clue as to where to start.
You're going to run into trouble with the determinism of first seat--a player playing exceptionally well will be winning most of his games from second seat, because the fact that he's winning results in him being placed there.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 02:33:38 am »

6 out of 7 games in my series were won by the first player.

Same here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 23 queries.