Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is this an example of Chapel not being best?  (Read 1004 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Is this an example of Chapel not being best?
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:09 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-054512-6a07420e.html

I opened silver/chapel, and was never ahead in score.  I bought a moat early, which defended me from a lot of the attacks, though he took my first gold (T9) with the thief on his T10.  Is that the difference here? Or the bureaucrat getting through twice?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an example of Chapel not being best?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:49 am »
+1

So a few things:

1) Bureaucrat actually hurts early trashers on average because it reduces the likelihood for the trasher to hit an Estate. Chapel is a lot worse when it trashes one less Estate.
2) Thief is pretty threatening against a tight deck with high money density but few Treasures.
3) In general, Remake is superior when building a deck that wants higher cost cards.

I think here that opening Bureaucrat/Chapel is not that bad. I would personally open with Remake though and try to build a Stables engine that has Thief, Mine, or even Bureaucrat as the terminal card.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an example of Chapel not being best?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:37 am »
+3

With Silk Roads available, Bureaucrat's Silver gaining becomes much more powerful. For the trashed down deck to win, you need to win the Province split decisively and end the game quickly. With all your coppers gone, you can't afford to buy many Duchies or Silk Roads. If your opponent falls behind in the Province race, his deck is capable of making up the difference with Silk Roads. Thief is also better on this board than usual.

Copper is a card that is often undervalued by players after they start thinking about trashing. Especially on boards with certain alt VP (Duke, Silk Roads, Gardens), Copper is great. And even for Province strategies, Copper is still cash.

I'd say for a Chapel deck to work here you need +buy or a stronger attack to play a lot. Virtual coin would also be a nice defense against the Thief.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.