Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: AdamH's channels  (Read 40773 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: AdamH's channel
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »

Four more games with Wero posted on the "Games with other Youtubers" list. OP modified accordingly.

...if there are any suggestions on how I can improve format, quality, whatever; please let me know. Suggestions are welcome.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 11:08:19 am »

Added a buttload of games between yesterday and today (so many that it took over 24 hours to upload them all) I think this is a really good batch. There are some boring ones, sure, but there is some super-interesting stuff that happens as well.

Also, this is my first really big run of Goko videos using the Log Parser, which I think might have caused some video issues. The last four videos -- does anyone have a problem with the quality of those videos? If so, I'm not sure what I can do about it besides never edit my videos for any reason and make them take 2 hours each to upload.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:52 pm »

First round of videos from the GokoDom tournament have been added, link in the OP. Discussion and write-up on the games can be found in the GokoDom results thread here.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 09:35:16 am »
+1

Two updates since I posted last. First, the second round of GokoDom videos went up, and also I added three games to the "Games with other YouTubers" list.

Qvist's videos didn't turn out so they aren't posted, but we're hoping to work with this different format. I'm hoping to take the best parts of my IRL-friends-games and combine it with the benefits of hearing both sides of the game. We're still getting used to it but any suggestions on how it can be improved are most certainly welcome.

After making these videos, I am convinced now that the best possible Dominion videos must contain conversation between the people playing the game.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2013, 09:41:55 am »

Two updates since I posted last. First, the second round of GokoDom videos went up, and also I added three games to the "Games with other YouTubers" list.

Qvist's videos didn't turn out so they aren't posted, but we're hoping to work with this different format. I'm hoping to take the best parts of my IRL-friends-games and combine it with the benefits of hearing both sides of the game. We're still getting used to it but any suggestions on how it can be improved are most certainly welcome.

After making these videos, I am convinced now that the best possible Dominion videos must contain conversation between the people playing the game.

Yeah, it was really fun and the next time you will be able to view my point of view too. I still have to watch your videos, Adam.
The videos of this format have probably less focus in strategy, but are more entertaining in my point of view.
But I really like how playing more casual games give you the opportunity to try more strategies out which you otherwise wouldn't be able to do in a more competitive setting, like Tournaments. Just view the first of those 3 games to see Adams cool Watchtower/Storeroom engine.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 09:54:02 am »

Just view the first of those 3 games to see Adams cool Watchtower/Storeroom engine.

Please don't mistake "cool" for "effective".

I think the more casual setting for the videos might be more of a function of the way I like to play Dominion, and the chatter just feeds that. I could be super-serious if I wanted to; and I've done that a couple of times, but I ended up muting Nick for almost all of the video :( . But yeah, if you ever want to play with me again after watching the third video, then maybe this has a future :P

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 12:22:05 pm »

Thought/proposal: What if you brought in your opponent, e.g. via Skype, and dubbed commentary over the original with both players (like they do with TV poker, only with the announcers also being the players)?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 01:11:55 pm »

Thought/proposal: What if you brought in your opponent, e.g. via Skype, and dubbed commentary over the original with both players (like they do with TV poker, only with the announcers also being the players)?

Not sure if I understand this. You mean post-game commentary?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »

I know poker TV shows are post-commentated (the announcers are, at least) but you can also hear the players chatting at the tables as well. I imagine if there was a way to hear the players' thoughts on poker shows, it would provide a ton of insight, but hey, we have that ability... sort of.

My strategy isn't always completely formulated at the beginning of the game, and I believe there is something to be gained from hearing comments in-game, but I don't think you're talking about getting rid of that, no?

Watching these pairs of videos that were posted today, I felt like they were very similar. The back-and-forth banter, which makes up maybe 70-80% of the commentary is the same on both videos, so it might make sense to combine the two into one video. Is this what you're getting at?

Issues with that:

- We need a way to see both players' hands at once, and a readable game log along with that at the very least. I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

- At the beginning (and any other time when both of us are talking to our videos at the same time) we need a way to hear those audios separately, which will require some video/audio editing (pause the video and insert commentary that isn't in real-time, and somehow denote that with a visual cue). I could do this with my current software, though it's not exactly straight-forward. Is this what you're talking about?

I don't know how much I could add in about my games through post-commentary. Usually I make an effort to talk for a few minutes about the game at the end with my opponent -- are you suggesting something different than this?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 01:39:25 pm »

I know poker TV shows are post-commentated (the announcers are, at least) but you can also hear the players chatting at the tables as well. I imagine if there was a way to hear the players' thoughts on poker shows, it would provide a ton of insight, but hey, we have that ability... sort of.

My strategy isn't always completely formulated at the beginning of the game, and I believe there is something to be gained from hearing comments in-game, but I don't think you're talking about getting rid of that, no?

Watching these pairs of videos that were posted today, I felt like they were very similar. The back-and-forth banter, which makes up maybe 70-80% of the commentary is the same on both videos, so it might make sense to combine the two into one video. Is this what you're getting at?

Issues with that:

- We need a way to see both players' hands at once, and a readable game log along with that at the very least. I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

- At the beginning (and any other time when both of us are talking to our videos at the same time) we need a way to hear those audios separately, which will require some video/audio editing (pause the video and insert commentary that isn't in real-time, and somehow denote that with a visual cue). I could do this with my current software, though it's not exactly straight-forward. Is this what you're talking about?

I don't know how much I could add in about my games through post-commentary. Usually I make an effort to talk for a few minutes about the game at the end with my opponent -- are you suggesting something different than this?

Technically, through massive editing one could show both sides of the game alternating (Because of Goko's layout it would be hard to show both players on one screen) and cut the audio so that it syncs with both of them.  I know I could do it.  But I'm not going to because it would take a lot of time.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:48 pm »

Isn't it possible to show to youtube videos in one screen somehow?

Edit: Like this:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:42:27 pm by Watno »

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 01:52:11 pm »

Interesting.. of course this has the problem that a Goko screen of smaller size is probably very hard to read.  Would have to test it to know for sure.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »

I would be worried about the game log being so small that it's not readable. Do you think it would be a huge issue to not have the log parser output available in this type of video? You could just put the videos side by side with labels I suppose... I wonder if you could even get cute and have the top half of the screen be normal size and put our hands at the bottom really small, but this goes beyond my skills of video editing (at least with the software I currently use)

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 01:57:31 pm »

I would be worried about the game log being so small that it's not readable. Do you think it would be a huge issue to not have the log parser output available in this type of video? You could just put the videos side by side with labels I suppose... I wonder if you could even get cute and have the top half of the screen be normal size and put our hands at the bottom really small, but this goes beyond my skills of video editing (at least with the software I currently use)

You could have just one log displayed on the screen too... or even scroll through the post-game log (or just link to it).

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »

I mean that is certainly possible and I could do it, but may be a lot of work.
But what would be hard to cut together is when we both mute each other and talk to the audience. Not sure what to do then...

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 02:04:00 pm »
+1

What a big crowd. Let's see if we can get such a Dominion event.  :P

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:24 pm »

You know, if we just found some way to never mute each other at the same time, the editing for this would get a lot easier, that way all you have to do is a Picture-In-Picture type of thing and combine the audio (no pausing and re-syncing the video) -- this fixes our audio quality problems too. That large area where your hand is at the bottom could probably be split in half and since the cards in your hand are so big. I know I'm capable of doing the audio portion of this, but the video portion is something my software can't do ATM.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:02 pm »

I could take one of this games and play around a little. Let's see where I can get to.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 02:29:43 pm »

It would be easy for me to process the audio, I use Audacity (and it's free). From what you described of your video software it might be able to handle the video part. I'm not opposed to buying video editing software if it does what I need it to do: if this much video editing is not difficult for you maybe you can send me a link? That way I can just do all the editing...

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 10:34:23 am »

I tried something different

Let me know what you think of it. I know there are some small technical issues (like the echo) but is this concept something that people want to see?

magicfuck

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 06:04:41 am »
+1

Let me know what you think of it. I know there are some small technical issues (like the echo) but is this concept something that people want to see?

The facecam is nice -- with sound syncing, it would be about perfect.

Thanks for making vidoes.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:16 pm »

So Knights don't hit Potion cost cards? Is this correct?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 12:19:48 pm »

So Knights don't hit Potion cost cards? Is this correct?

Right. It severely reduced my ability to troll my opponents in the early game  :(

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2013, 11:34:36 pm »

I thought that I would see the three games I just played with you (I know that you might not have uploaded them yet), but none of the playlists would fit for it...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:47 am »

I'm finishing the uploads now (I usually have to set them to go overnight). I modified the "Iso Automatch Games" list to include stuff like this, so that's where I'm putting your games.

...I also just saw that I mispronounced your name.  :-[
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.