Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24  All

Author Topic: Through the Ages I - GAME OVER - Watno wins!  (Read 44656 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
Through the Ages I - GAME OVER - Watno wins!
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:36 pm »

Through the Ages is a civilization building game. The goal is to develop your civilization, not to destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production or science. It is up to you which aspect you will concentrate on, more or less, but you should not underestimate any of them while building your civilization.

Victory is achieved by the player whose nation produces the most culture during the game. However, there are many ways to produce culture: through religion, literature or drama, by building wonders, by utilizing cultural persons etc. Considerable amount of culture can be gained even via wars or aggression.
Description from BGG

This is the thread for the first Play By Forum game of Vlaada Chvátil's Through The Ages, which considering TtA II is starting, I figured I might as well put the thread up for as well. This is not a short, simple game; it is an epic civilisation building game. As such, players should expect the game to take at least a few months (I predict about 3-4, depending on activity). This does mean it should be an engrossing, fun and strategically deep game, and the long time period should give you lots of time to plan out your moves.

A copy of the rules can be found on BGG here. The rules are great, they're mostly very clear, and so I will make no attempt to explain the rules myself, and instead advise players to read them (you will need a BGG account, which if you don't have, is hassle free to make). I will of course try and answer any questions players may have.

A public spreadsheet for the game is available here. Each player has a link to a private sheet, which also includes their own hands.

Players may wish to bookmark this link, which shows all of the available actions (excluding extras given by wonders or leaders), as well as the turn structure summary. As moderator, sections 1 and 6 will be performed by me. The PBF exclusive section 7: Point out moderator mistakes, will be performed by everyone else.

Some notes for PBF:
  • Please do not contact other players about the game outside this thread. I'm not saying you can't mention the game in other threads, but don't go out of your way to conspire in a way that isn't public.
  • I will be respecting the standard rules for pacts. This means, you can't talk about a pact you might be proposing before you do, you have to play it, name the roles and the other player can respond. Breaking this rule results in forfeiting your political action for the turn.
  • Hopefully your spreadsheets will work, but if there are any issues that crop up, let me know! Also, if you feel that some details could be better displayed, or should be displayed somewhere else, let me know - the sheets are, after all, for your benefit.
  • For ease of spotting what your official actions are, please bold your final actions.
  • I'm usually pretty lenient about letting people take back actions they realise are not actually good, including possibly accidentally revealing things about their military cards (consider the fact you've revealed the information your punishment). However, do not attempt to abuse my good nature, or I will instigate a 'bold thing=>it happened' policy.
  • I won't be enforcing a time limit, but for the sake of others, try to play relatively quickly, and respond to events when they happen. Checking the thread maybe two-three times a day would be great, if you can manage it (that's only checking, 80% of those times you won't need to post!). Less is fine, though, so don't worry too much.

Taking your turn:
Turn structure

1) Updating the card row: I will do this for you between turns along with step 7

2) Outcome of a war: You sacrifice units, then they sacrifice units, then one or both of you might need to make decisions based on what happened. I will update other things (usually culture) as I see them.

3) Political action: This is probably the most complex bit of your turn. If you want to play an:
  • Event: State that you are playing an event in the thread along with it's age. Then, I will reveal the next current event and resolve it (which may require decisions from various players)
  • Aggression: Play the aggression in the thread, name your target, and post what you're sacrificing (if you can calculate it yourself, please include your total strength for the aggression as well!). Your rival then posts what they're sacrificing (or bonus cards), and one or both of you might then have to make choices regarding the outcome.
  • Pact: Play the pact in the thread, specify which player is A and which is B (if relevant). Your target then either accepts or rejects. Once the proposal has been made, you can talk about it, but you cannot renege or change the proposal.
  • War: Announce it as though it were an aggression, but then simply carry on with your turn. Remember it's resolved next turn
  • No action: Announce you are skipping your political action (note: Please do announce it, otherwise I might ask people to wait as I check, did you really mean to skip your political action?)

4) Discard excess military cards: Check your military hand limit (normally =military actions), then PM me military cards until you are at your military hand limit.

5) Civil and Military actions: Post all of your civil and military actions directly into the thread. For the first few turns, or whenever you aren't sure, it may be a good idea to PM them to me instead, just to double check everything you're trying to do is valid. It's easy to forget a few things and make a few mistakes, like, you used military actions on an aggression/war, or that Wonder cost 1 CA more than you thought because you've completed a Wonder already, or accidentally trying to play a military tech with a military action instead of a civil one, and that's just a few examples. Either way if your move is valid, it stands (and I'll post it if you PM'd me) and I'll update everything based on it. If you did something wrong, I'll let you know, and you can fix it.
In certain extreme situations, I might stop and check if you were aware of a consequence of something you did. This is primarily things like 'Woah those actions will give you an uprising, are you sure?' or 'Your military is already maxed at 60, are you sure you want to build those three infantry?' Both of which could be legit things to do e.g. desperately need more science at expense of some resource (for 1) or building up stuff to sacrifice in a crazy war (for 2), but usually, would not be.

6) Production and Maintenance: I'll do all of this for you. Once I post in the thread the updated card row, take that as a sign that your indicators are updated, food and resources are updated, and your military cards are available.

Rules in use
We are playing a 4 player full game.
The alternate corruption rule is in effect. This lets you choose for one mine to not produce [unless you ask otherwise, I will do this automatically if it will increase your resources].
As of right now, civil cards in hands are not visible to other players once they're in your hand. However, if all players would prefer that civil cards were instead public (as one can track exactly who has what with a little effort) then I will make them so.

Players (in turn order):
Watno
Qvist
Galzria
Kuildeous

Game state:

Reminder: The game doesn't officially start until the weekend, so even if I did have a turn time limit, I wouldn't even consider your time to have started until Saturday. So don't worry about feeling like you're holding the game up if you don't make your play until say Monday or so
Current Player: Watno
It is currently age A
Turn: 1 Reminder: On turn 1, you may only take cards from the card row, and have 1/2/3/4 CA to do so for the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th player resp.

Watno
Culture: 0
Science: 0
Strength: 1
Culture Indicator: 0
Science Indicator: 1
Civil Cards: None
Military Cards: None

Qvist

Galzria

Kuildeous

Card Row (Check spreadsheet for more details)
1 CA: Homer
1 CA: Alexander the Great
1 CA: Moses
1 CA: Pyramids
1 CA: Revolutionary Idea
2 CA: Hammurabi
2 CA: Rich Land
2 CA: Work of Art
2 CA: Frugality
3 CA: Patriotism
3 CA: Engineering Genius
3 CA: Hanging Gardens
3 CA: Aristotle
Civil Cards remaining: 7

Current Events: 6
Next event: Age A
Military cards remaining: 4

On turn 1, each player gets Civil Actions only to take cards, and the card row is not refreshed
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:11:29 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages I - Turn 1: Antiquity
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

welp, i was planning on reading the rules tonight, so it's gonna be a bit
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »

welp, i was planning on reading the rules tonight, so it's gonna be a bit

Fortunately for you, your civilisation is in another castle ;)
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »

I've gotten through the first 13 pages, which covers most of the advanced game, but hasn't started on the full. :P

I've only been reading a few pages at a time though, so as to consider the logic behind each. So far it's fairly straight forward...

You need A and B (Food/Resources), in order to do C, D and E - each of which in turn follows it's own path of doing X's and Y's and Z's.

There's just a lot of different "lines" of the civilization tree to follow out, and figuring out which order to prioritize will be a learning experience. The first level or two makes sense, but oh where to go from there...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:33:26 pm by Galzria »
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 06:10:15 am »

Take Pyramids for 1 CA

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:25 am »

This seems a good time to say, Wonders under construction will be the last thing before you pop/resource banks on the sheet. Wonders that have been constructed will be placed directly under your government card (and I'll do the magic to make their effects actually happen).

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 08:06:11 am »

So, I'm back. Currently reading the second half of the rules. And I obviously have no idea regarding strategy.
But I like the game gets rolling.

Take Moses and Revolutionary Idea for 1CA each.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

Current Player: Galzria
It is currently age A
Turn: 1

Watno
Science: 1

Qvist
Science: 1
Civil Cards: A: 2

Galzria

Kuildeous

1 CA: Homer(removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Alexander the Great
1 CA:
1 CA:
1 CA:
2 CA: Hammurabi
2 CA: Work of Art
3 CA: Engineering Genius
3 CA: Hanging Gardens
3 CA: Aristotle
Civil Cards remaining: 7

Military cards remaining: 4

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »

Tough choices. Is the sheet currently correct on CA costs for the cards in Row? I thoughts some cost 4 this round (and thus, outside reach for myself)?

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:05 pm »

No, the only situation when a card costs 4 CA to take is if it is a wonder and thus its cost increased because of wonders you already have. Other than that, its always 5 for 1, 4 for 2, 4 for 3

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »

I take Aristotle.

Mafia Record:

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 01:08:19 pm »

Hey, you're ruining my plan for the next 2 turns :(

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »

No I'm not. You want Engineering Genius. :P

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 02:59:29 pm »

Now I really should go finish reading the rules. ;D

Mafia Record:

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 09:54:00 pm »

18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:34:48 pm »

I'll take Hammurabi and Rich Land
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:55:36 pm »

Current Player: Watno
It is currently age I
Turn: 2

Watno
Culture: 0 (+0)
Science: 1 (+1)
Resources: 2
Food: 2

Qvist

Galzria
Civil Cards: A: 1

Kuildeous

1 CA: Alexander the Great(removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Work of Art
1 CA: Frugality
1 CA: Patriotism
1 CA: Engineering Genius
2 CA: Hanging Gardens
2 CA: Colossus
3 CA: Julius Caesar
3 CA: Library of Alexandria
3 CA: Ideal Building Site
Civil Cards remaining: 55

Military cards remaining: 50

I've made a few small changes to this, firstly copying the way Watno did indicators (the (+X) shows what you gain each turn) and secondly, you can see your resource and food levels here which might be useful? As always let me know if you think I should add/remove anything.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Ages I - Turn 2: The start of the Middle Ages
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 07:43:12 am »

Take Work of Art
Take Engineering Genius
Increase Population
Build bronze

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:42:09 am »

Current Player: Qvist
It is currently age I

Watno
Science: 2 (+1)
Food: 3
Military Cards: I: 2

Qvist

Galzria

Kuildeous

1 CA: Frugality(removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Patriotism
1 CA: Hanging Gardens
1 CA: Colossus
2 CA: Julius Caesar
2 CA: Library of Alexandria
2 CA: Ideal Building Site
3 CA: Genghis Khan
3 CA: Swordsmen
Civil Cards remaining: 52

Military cards remaining: 48

Watno drew 2 Military cards.

(Also, yes, it's quite normal for these early turns to be a little uneventful)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:44:40 am by Tables »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 03:52:07 pm »

Take Work of Art
Take Engineering Genius
Increase Population
Build bronze

Build Bronze is the same as Build Mine, right?

I have no idea what I'm doing :)

Play Moses
Increase Population
Build Farm
Take Frugality

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 03:53:20 pm »

well, later on you will be able to build iron mines too, for example

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »

Yeah, right now, building a bronze and building a mine are both totally clear, because, well you only have one kind of mine. But if you had developed Iron (I), Coal (II) or Oil (III) then you'd need to be clear which you wanted.

Current Player: Galzria
It is currently age I

Watno
Resources: 3

Qvist
Food: 4

Galzria

Kuildeous

1 CA: Patriotism(removed at end of turn)
1 CA: Hanging Gardens
1 CA: Colossus
1 CA: Rich Land
2 CA: Julius Caesar
2 CA: Library of Alexandria
3 CA: Genghis Khan
3 CA: Swordsmen
3 CA: Work of Art
Civil Cards remaining: 51

Military cards remaining: 46

Qvist's military cards have been updated.

(The mistake was I had the resource and food lookups the wrong way around, fixed now, was probably wrong for Watno on the update before this)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:16:32 pm by Tables »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 05:41:13 pm »

Sorry about that question, but where can I see my cards?
I clicked on the link you sent me a while ago, but it is basically the same as the public one.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »

Check the "your hand" tab

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:58 pm »

Check the "your hand" tab

D'oh. There are several tabs. Haha, didn't noticed that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.