Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Losers Bracket - Structure Discussion  (Read 15935 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Losers Bracket - Structure Discussion
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 03:46:24 pm »

soulnet, I wouldn't be opposed to arranging some sort of round robin between the final three if we got to that point.

On the other hand, we may end up in a situation with three players left and two have already had byes, in which case giving the third player a bye to the final would probably be more fair.

The problem in any case is that at the moment it's not just a matter of getting down to three and decided what to do there... if no one else joins and I stay in, we have the following numbers:

Round 4 (current): 13 -> 7 advance (1 bye)
Round 5: 7+2 -> 5 advance (1 bye)
Round 6: 5 -> 3 advance (1 bye)
Round 7: 3 -> 2 advance (1 bye), or round robin

That's a lot of byes... A single bye late in the tournament doesn't bother me so much (the format is prone to somewhat screwy matchups anyway), but I'd rather avoid four in a row. And if I drop myself:

Round 5: 7+1 -> 4 advance (0 bye)
Round 6: 4 -> 2
Round 7: 2 -> 1

That's what I meant. 9 players in Round 5 makes it rather complicated. I think it would be best if we limit it to 8 players.
The only other alternative that I see is, change over to a Swiss style tournament or something similar.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 08:02:19 pm »

I'd rather not cap it artificially. I'm fine with taking myself out to avoid the byes, but if someone else wants to join (to get us to 10 for round 5) we'll just eat the round 6 bye and then see where we're at for round 7.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 09:09:10 pm »

I think its best if you don't have to leave, even if it means 4 byes in a row. I know I would not want to be asked to leave, and I would rather have everyone wanting to play playing, especially the ones making extra effort to make the tournament possible.

In any case, it makes it likely that everyone gets a single bye through the tournament, and it does sound fair. The problem is that we may run into a forced 2nd bye to the same person in the semifinals.

Another option is to have groups of 3 with round robbin when there are 9 people left, and then a round robbin with the 3 winners (and maybe round robbins for the 4-6 and 7-9 spots, assuming people is willing to participate in that). I would love to get in that format, should Qvist let me make it that far.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.25 seconds with 24 queries.