Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Losers Bracket - Structure Discussion  (Read 15907 times)

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Losers Bracket - Structure Discussion
« on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:20 pm »

Here we can talk about how to structure the losers bracket so that it can incorporate people from later rounds.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Losers Bracket - Structure Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:09:26 pm »

My thoughts are as such.

Signups for Week 1 end Saturday, we take up to 64.

Signups for Week 2 end one week from saturday, we take up to 32 people that lost in round 2. They get woven in to make another bracket with up to 64 people

Signups for week 3 end two weeks from saturday, we take up to 16 people that lost in round 3. They get woven in to make another bracket with up to 32 people.

and so on and so forth until we have 1 remaining.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:40 pm »

Like said in the other thread, best would be a standard Double Elimination Bracket, problem OTOH is that probably not all 128 will participate and the signups will be only for 64. And that also means that there will be 64 more losers of the main bracket in Round 2 against 32 winners of the first Elimination Round. So that means I'm not sure how it can be done best. Maybe at some point we have to switch that all losers of the main bracket first play against each other and these winners can then play against the winners of the Losers Bracket so that the number is the same again.

Side note: Standard Double Elimination is something I wanted to propose as this year's format, but forgot in the end.  :-\

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:36 pm »

Double elimination bracket: http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/64teamdoubleseeded.pdf

We'd use just the lower bracket which would have to be extrapolated to twice the size.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »

Im not sure we can just make it double elim because we have no way to guarantee we get the right number of signups. (because the tourney wasn't implemented as double elim to start with)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 05:20:15 pm »

My thoughts are as such.

Signups for Week 2 end one week from saturday, we take up to 32 people that lost in round 2. They get woven in to make another bracket with up to 64 people

Signups for week 3 end two weeks from saturday, we take up to 16 people that lost in round 3. They get woven in to make another bracket with up to 32 people.

This won't work like you think:
End of week 1 we have 32 people,
Start of week 2 we add 32 so we're now at 64.
End of week 2 we're back at 32.
Start of week 3 we add 16 so now we have a bracket of 48.

edit: I think what you propose is basically a double elimination bracket anyway, but I guess not as structured.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:25:17 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:04:37 pm »

My thoughts are as such.

This won't work like you think:
End of week 1 we have 32 people,
Start of week 2 we add 32 so we're now at 64.
End of week 2 we're back at 32.
Start of week 3 we add 16 so now we have a bracket of 48.

edit: I think what you propose is basically a double elimination bracket anyway, but I guess not as structured.

I don't think we're going to hit any of my caps any week either.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »
+1

So the choice between allowing further participants after the week one loss seems like it fundamentally changes the losers bracket tournament. If you only allow week 1 losers (and do another losers tourney for later losses?) you are basically having a lower level tournament which gives weaker players a realistic shot of winning or at least staying alive longer. If you allow later losers into the bracket, it's likely that a player who gets in later in the tournament will win because they are more likely to be a better player. Both have their pros and cons, and I'm not really advocating one over the other. Just keep in mind what you hope to accomplish with this bracket.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 12:18:47 am »

Well, there are a handful of high seeds in the loser's bracket right now anyway after having suffered upsets in the first round.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:56 am »

If you want a logistics nightmare, you could have a separate single elimination bracket for each round.

So there's a bracket for people who lost Round 1 (capped at 64)
And then a separate bracket of 32 for people who lost Round 2.
And a separate bracket of 16 for Round 3 losers, and so on.

From my understanding, this is just to have more tournament matches for people who lost early, and likely won't have a reward for winning (besides personal satisfaction). So if it's just for fun, it makes better sense for the participants to be around the same level, because that leads to closer/more interesting matches.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

For my sanity if someone was willing to run a loser's bracket for each round (ie one for people who are eliminated round 2 one for round 3 etc) that would be ideal.

Then at the end the winner from LB1 faces the winner of LB2, LB3 faces LB4 and so on until we have a losers bracket champ which is worth nothing except the redemption of your pride.

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:49 pm »
+1

The problem with doing it as separate brackets is that you can end up with awkward numbers is every pool; whereas if you add in the fresh losers each round, at worst you have an odd number and one bye each round (which you can assign in some reasonable way so that no one ever has a bye twice).

As I said in the other thread, I would be happy to help set this up, and am willing to do so even in the absence of a cap on the number of players. Personally, I would set the cap for the first round at 128 and allow anyone who missed the main tournament to join this one, with preference given to losers from the actual tournament if we somehow get over that cap (only in the first round, of course - after that, only losers from the main bracket can join).

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »
+2

The problem with doing it as separate brackets is that you can end up with awkward numbers is every pool; whereas if you add in the fresh losers each round, at worst you have an odd number and one bye each round (which you can assign in some reasonable way so that no one ever has a bye twice).

As I said in the other thread, I would be happy to help set this up, and am willing to do so even in the absence of a cap on the number of players. Personally, I would set the cap for the first round at 128 and allow anyone who missed the main tournament to join this one, with preference given to losers from the actual tournament if we somehow get over that cap (only in the first round, of course - after that, only losers from the main bracket can join).

Alright mith I'll take you up on that let's do an awesome loser's bracket.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »

Sure. You should announce that we're accepting signups from players who missed the tourney, and remove the cap from the thread title.

I'll flesh out some seeding and other structure options later for discussion.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »

Seeding Options

• The simplest option is to not seed at all and just have a random draw.
  • The next simplest alternative is to seed for the purpose of determining a top and bottom half, and randomly pair players from the two halves to form the matchups. This is more like what they do in, for example, tennis, where the top seeds don't face each other early but otherwise the matchups are randomized (so you might end up with a 1-3 and 2-4 semifinals, rather than 1-4 and 2-3). One offshoot here is that we could manipulate the pairings based on timezone, but I would want an objective method of doing this so as to be totally transparent.
  • Or, we could just totally seed the field, preserving seeding from the main tournament, adding new players based on where they would have been seeded on the day the seeds were determined (or based on their current ranking, if last week's leaderboard is unavailable). Because we are adding new players each round as the main tournament progresses, this will require re-seeding each round.

I prefer option two here, personally, but I like a little chaos in the matchups...

Odd player count - byes

• The simplest approach here would seem to be to give a bye to the highest remaining seed who has not already received a bye.
  • Alternately, we could require that the player receiving the bye must have already played a match in the losers bracket (for later rounds) or in the main tournament (for the first round). New entries can't get the bye.
  • One final variation on the above would be to give the bye to the highest remaining seed among those who have played the most games in the losers bracket.
  • A more exotic method would be to have an "extra" match in the event that at least two players have received a bye - they would immediately play each other to get back to the same number of matches as everyone else. This would require the byes to come from the middle of the seeding, rather than the top - otherwise, you'll end up with two top players facing off very early.  This has the obvious disadvantage of potentially holding things up if the extra match can't be scheduled immediately, so it's probably too much of a hassle.

I like the idea of the last option, but of the practical options, three is my preference.

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »

For seeding, I prefer seeding based on the main tourney if we have the requisite information as we have allowed new entries and I don't know if Theory/GE/Jonts have it for the players that WERENT in the main tourney, if they don't we could default them to being low seeds and use option 2.

For byes, I agree with option 3.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:55 pm »

We could also just re-seed everyone based on their current level?

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

We could also just re-seed everyone based on their current level?

Thats alot more work then seeding as is, essentially if we declare seeding based on one timestamp reseeding is a breeze as it's already done.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

I mean if we don't have access to the old leaderboard to get the correct seeds for new players.

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »

I mean if we don't have access to the old leaderboard to get the correct seeds for new players.

ahh yes, the problem with that is we still have to reseed going forward as we are excepting people from later rounds without knowing whom we are accepting ahead of time.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:18 pm »
+3

We got the data for old leaderboards here: http://bggdl.square7.ch/leaderboard

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »
+3

the date i used for the tournament was december 1, 2012. the vast majority of your players will already be in the spreadsheet though, complete with all of the level information you would want. just make a copy and sort how you want it.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »

Aha, I knew the old leaderboards must be up somewhere.

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »

the date i used for the tournament was december 1, 2012. the vast majority of your players will already be in the spreadsheet though, complete with all of the level information you would want. just make a copy and sort how you want it.

Yea I was already snagging overall seed from the "Final Entry List" thread.

Insomniac

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »

so is there any way to get challonge to do what you want it to do. I gave it seeding information for 37 players for a single elim tourney and its forcing multiple round 1 byes I can't get it to not do that. (without having 32 or 64 I don't think)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.