Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wait, you can DO that?  (Read 3839 times)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
Wait, you can DO that?
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
+5

So the other day I played a Dark Ages (with Base and Hinterlands) game in person, I think we did this correctly but please let me know if we violated any rules. If it is legit, this is perhaps my newest favorite "wait, you can DO THAT" moment.

The board had Fortress, Procession, Band of Misfits, Border Village, Witch, Rogue, Margrave, Farmland, and Chapel.

Both my opponent and I had elected to go into engine building and we trashed down and were killing curses every turn while playing 3 card hands. In any event, I had drawn my entire deck and given my opponent 1 curse (so I was leading 0 to -1). I then played Prssn -> Prssn -> Prssn -> Fort. This allowed me to gain two Bom (1 from the second Prssn, 1 from the Fortress), and process the Fort again (drawing two Bom, and gaining a Bom each from the Fort and the third Prssn). Now I played the Bom as Prssn, again I draw my new shiny cards with Fort (gaining a Bom), and my Boms are trashed to become Bv/Prssn.

Needless to say, we were pretty close to a 3 pile when I ran that loop down. So I gained a Rogue or three to gain the last of the Bv/Prssn/Bom. This let me 3 pile off of having just a few cards in deck (I believe I had Silver, Silver, Chap, Witch, Prssn, Prssn, Prssn, Margave, Fort, Fort, and Rogue when this turn started). I think with Prssn, Fortress, Bom, Rogue and Bv you really can auto-3-pile with just 4 cards worth 12 coin, if you have no discard/draw deck - and I've not sure if you need all 4 =)

I have been finding that Dark Ages just has huge numbers of games where you can do something whack (like autopile the Rats, Kc/Forge/Fortress/Fortress, or trash a curse with an Altar, discard a Market Square, gain Cultist, and auto-trash it with a Watchtower to draw the gold you just top decked) that you first don't suspect. Does anyone else have some other stories about Dark Ages fun where you or your opponent totally didn't see something and then had some craziness result?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, you can DO that?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:57:13 am »

Wow. It's a crazy four card combo, so it's quite rare, but yeah—that's legit.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »
+4

Not quite as crazy, but I did have a fun combo the other day:

On one turn I played a Market Square and then a Navigator, discovering my next 5 cards were Bandit Camp, Hermit, Hermit, Market Square, Copper, which I left on top of my deck. I had $8, so I bought a Province, but also bought a Curse with my extra buy.  This allowed me on my next hand to play Bandit Camp followed by a Hermit, trashing the Curse, discarding the Market Square to gain a Gold, and playing the other Hermit (without trashing anything), and not buying anything to trash two Hermits for two Madmen. That turn I gained a Spoils, a Gold, and two Madmen for trashing two Hermits and the Curse I had bought.

Buying the Curse on the turn before was key, since I knew I had nothing else in my discard pile I wanted to trash with Hermit (since Hermit can't trash Copper), and basically allowed me to gain an extra Gold. When I bought the Curse, my opponent was all :o . It's super rare to buy a Curse, but this is one situation where it definitely helped, and one not included on the recent thread.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:04:44 pm »
+3

You could have gained the Gold when you trashed a Hermit to gain Madman. Curse not needed.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:24 pm »

You could have gained the Gold when you trashed a Hermit to gain Madman. Curse not needed.

Whoa, mind blown!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »

I have been finding that Dark Ages just has huge numbers of games where you can do something whack (like autopile the Rats, Kc/Forge/Fortress/Fortress, or trash a curse with an Altar, discard a Market Square, gain Cultist, and auto-trash it with a Watchtower to draw the gold you just top decked) that you first don't suspect. Does anyone else have some other stories about Dark Ages fun where you or your opponent totally didn't see something and then had some craziness result?

Market Square doesn't top deck the gold.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »

But Watchtower does.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:30:39 pm »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »

Back to the OP, I was totally excited the first time I saw and noticed the Hovel/Market Square interaction. It's pretty simple, but still. It was back when DA was just released and we hadn't analyzed all the cards to death on the forums yet.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 03:01:22 pm »
+3

Back to the OP, I was totally excited the first time I saw and noticed the Hovel/Market Square interaction. It's pretty simple, but still. It was back when DA was just released and we hadn't analyzed all the cards to death on the forums yet.

To be honest, I still feel like we haven't analyzed DA cards to death yet.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »
+1

I've seen what this forum is capable of and we're nowhere close.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 07:02:18 am »

Not even remotely close.  Because it isn't on Isotropic people just haven't played the volume of games to truly understand a lot of the cards yet.  And of course it doesn't help that they are some of the most zany cards in Dominion to date.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:35:46 pm »
+2

This was fun, completely forseeable that someone would do it, but hey, I call dibs.

So me and the other guy were racing Tr engines (Tr, Alchemist, Scrying pool, Storeroom) in a Colonies/Shelters game (Dark Ages, Prosperity, Alchemy, Base, Black Market/Stash were on tap today). Having bought Forge from the Black Market (we were both fishing for an early Chapel or Mountebank, neither of which happened) I was pretty much going to win in any event but then I went for glory & laughs.

We had split Alchemists 5/5. I forged away my coppers/silver/Oge/Hovel and potion, gaining two Talismen (my opponent thought I was going to spam buy Tr & Militia to forge them into provinces). Then I bought out the Poor Houses next turn, returning my Talismans to deck top with an Herbalist. My opponent bought his first colony. Having no other treasure in deck, my Scrying Pool (bought when I whiffed on Alchemist) let me draw all of the houses when I finally drew the pool. I then proceeded to Forge all 10 Poor Houses, yes all of them.

Hilariously, 10 Poor Houses and a Necropolis makes for a Colony; you might call it Australia =)

I then bought the last few Tr with Herbalist/Storeroom cash and an estate for a resounding 11-10 win.

Yes, this was completely terrible play (there was alcohol involved) but hey THAT is how you use Poor Houses =)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:03:13 am »

Not even remotely close.  Because it isn't on Isotropic people just haven't played the volume of games to truly understand a lot of the cards yet.  And of course it doesn't help that they are some of the most zany cards in Dominion to date.

Yeah.  Given that it's only on Goko, and games take twice as long there, the numbers of DA games played by this community, total, is likely in the 1000-2000 range.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.