Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Card Ideas  (Read 2673 times)

The Rookie

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Dominion Card Ideas
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:26 am »

Hey there, long time lurker first time poster

I've been sitting on these blanks for a while and want to spice up my Dominion card ideas mainly to bring into it more interaction

Foreign Adviser
4$ - Action

The player to your left chooses two: +2 cards, +2 actions, +$2 or gain a silver (The choices must be different)

----

I had this concept for a while even before I saw Trusty Steed though trusty steed gave the idea of gain a silver. I originally had +1 buy instead but I figured it was an ability far weaker than the first three and would always be picked. Granted I still think Gain a silver will also almost always be picked as well.

----

Gnome (placeholder name till I can think of something that's a little more flavorful to the concept)
5$ - Attack

+$2

Each other player reveals a Curse from their hand (or reveals a hand with no curses.) If they revealed a Curse they gain a Copper card. Otherwise they gain a Curse card.

-----

A sort of play off Mountebank wanting to be able to "attack" with coppers. I'm sort of wrestling if +$2 or +2 cards would be a better benefit or maybe go with a slightly weaker benefit.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Card Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:39:30 am »

The problem with the foreign advisor is that it is too generous to one specific opponent. In a four player game there will be players who lose because the player on their right has not given them all these foreign advisor benefits that have been given to other players. Tribute, masquerade, and possession are based on seating order but at face value their effect is neutral on each players deck. All can be played in ways that are not neutral though.

You could perhaps amend the foreign advisor by having a marker that starts in front of the first player to buy the foreign advisor.  The player with the marker gets the "player to the left" benefit and then the marker is moved to the left. However, when a foreign advisor is played and the current player has the marker, the counter is moved once to the left before the card is resolved. The marker would not be needed in a two player game.

The Rookie

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »

Hmmm i didn't think that'd be too huge of a problem since Envoy works the same way (person to your left making decisions for thing benefiting you.) I originally had it so random people got to choose but I figured simplifying the card would be best.

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:21:51 pm »

I think that you should make foreign advisor clearer because on first read you might think your opponent gets the benefit. As is, its probably pretty weak since you'll probably get 2 actions and gain a silver. As for gnome, I think the +2coin is worth more than +2 cards which is gnomes real advantage over witch. In a witch game you probably will start not to mind copper too much due to curses so the late game effect of gnome when curses are gone isn't enough to make it better in almost any situation if it had +2cards instead. It still seems weak compared to mountebanc since you typically want those coppers in their deck early and playing multiple mountebancs can get around curses so it still feels incredibly similar to and a bit weaker than an already existing card.
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 12:23:30 pm »

On another note, I'm not entirely sure how gnome increases interaction ???
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »

Yes I had misread it so ignore my previous post.

The Rookie

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:35 pm »

yeah think i'll need to go back to the drawing board, thanks for the input!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.