Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 30026 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 08:13:16 am »
+1

My age is the most logical cubed number to hang around on these forums

20 years and ~31.232461 days?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:09 am »
+4

Sometimes I want to slap people who complain about YouTube buffering.  Dost thou not remember the days when the only way to "stream" was to install RealPlayer?  All the buffering in the world is not as evil as that diabolic abomination.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:44 am »
+1

Oh I SO want to slap the people moaning about slow speeds!

How about slow speeds AND 95% of the internet had a little black and yellow banner and possibly a bulldozer with the message 'Page Under Construction'
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 09:35:35 am »

Oh I SO want to slap the people moaning about slow speeds!

How about slow speeds AND 95% of the internet had a little black and yellow banner and possibly a bulldozer with the message 'Page Under Construction'
And because of those speeds, you needed to be pretty sure you had the right page before clicking.

Search engines weren't that great either, so doing some homework assignment and finally finding what you needed could take an entire afternoon. Heck, I think writing some stuff down in the library was probably faster.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 10:26:29 am »
+1

Heh, when I was a teenager, I was douchey enough to draw a sword using the C64 graphics. It took four lines. The thing was, when it displayed on the screen, it had to go through and type each of their characters. You could even insert some cursor commands to go backward and to sit in place to change color.

So, I would have this roughly 4x16 grid of characters to use as my signature where you watched the cursor bounce around and insert these colored shapes, but the cursor also went back over and changed colors in different places so that it was animated. And since I was a teenage nerd in the 80s, my graphic had to be a sword with different shades of gray being used to simulate it shining.

Now, imagine this happening over a 300- or 1200-baud connection (or if you could afford hundreds of dollars, a whopping 2400 baud!) every time you read one of my messages. It could take 5-10 seconds to render my sig. Sure, that doesn't sound like a long time, but sit there for 8 seconds after reading this and don't read the next post to see how annoying that'd be. Man, was I so full of myself.

Not to mention, I wasn't the only person to abuse graphics like that, so the problem just compounded when other users thought that the effect was cool and did their own sigs, which then inspired others.
A man has no signature

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:46 am »
+1

My age is the most logical cubed number to hang around on these forums, not that I have anything against the other cubes, I would just be surprised to find them here.

Yeah, if you were any older of a cube, you'd be quite a square.

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:09 am »

My age is the most logical cubed number to hang around on these forums, not that I have anything against the other cubes, I would just be surprised to find them here.

I would hope he's older than 8...
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:28 am »
+3

When I turned 32, I used to joke that I was now past my Mersenne prime. Now I can't make that joke again until I'm 128.
A man has no signature

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:28 am »

27's not a square.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:08 am »

27's not a square.

No, but 64 is.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 11:34:28 am »

27's not a square.

Ahh, my bad. I was reading it as Cube+1 = Square, you were sticking to cubes. Carry on.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:46 am »
+1

I don't remember specifically where I was when John Kennedy was killed (I was 4), but I quite clearly remember the state funeral on TV.  I was really upset by the boots being turned backward in the stirrups of the riderless horse.

When I started listening to music on my own (later than most of my peers), Steely Dan and Chicago occupied a large section of Top 40 radio. I soon moved on to Emerson, Lake and Palmer; King Crimson; and Santana.  Pink Floyd was a revelation, and I've not let go of them. Never got solidly behind the Stones, the Who, the Beatles, or Led Zep, despite being present for their heyday.

As for sports, I played football through 8th grade, then started riding motocross, at at time when Roger DeCoster was still beating everyone.

My first serious crush was on Peggy Lipton in The Mod Squad.  Some of you may know her from a small recurring part she had in Twin Peaks, which I never watched.  If you are into music, you may know her as the former Mrs. Quincy Jones.

When I first started writing code (8th grade gifted program), paper tape was the storage medium.  I was really thrilled when punch cards came out.

My first presidential election was 1980, and after the polls closed I went back to the precinct and help count paper ballots, all marked in ink.  No machines, no chads, no bickering.

And of course, I walked barefoot, in the snow, to get there.  :)
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:50:23 am »

And of course, I walked barefoot, in the snow, to get there.  :)

Uphill both ways, of course -- right?

And did you watch TV by candlelight, too?  ;D

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:48 am »

No, we had electricity and flush toilets and everything.  We got cable television as soon as it was available in our area (late 60s?) and I was awed by how much better the picture was.  Seems quaint now, with Blu-ray resolution and a million channels of dreck.
Posting begets posting.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 01:19:48 pm »
+1

First and foremost, I was born the same year as Calvin.  Everything I know about life I learned from Bill Watterson, and that's not an exaggeration.

A close second, my first two memories of sporting events are both field goals: the one Matt Bahr made to win 15-13, and then a week or two later (I can't remember whether they had a bye back then or not), Wide Right.  Two sweetest words in the English language.

I mostly didn't pay much attention to pop culture when I was a kid.  However, I was in high school during the ska boomlet.  Since I was also in marching band, all the saxophones and trombones and trumpets were obviously fans, and I noticed that at least.  Funny thing, I actually like a fair amount of '90s music now, but that only happened in the past five or so years.

My sense of time is a little weird for somebody my age, since I didn't have the internet until I got to college (by now, this was notably weird), and also I finished high school early. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:58 pm »
+11

Age 34 here.  A child of the '80s, a teenager of the '90s. 

I experienced home videogaming before, during, and after the great crash of 1983.  I started with an Odyssey 2.  Then a ColecoVision.  Never had an Atari, but had friends who did. 

I grew up within walking distance of a mall.  With an honest-to-goodness '80s arcade attached to it.  I spent many happy hours there, in the company of my father.  I was the 5-year-old, standing on a box to reach the controls, who could beat Black Tiger and Space Harrier.  My father and I beat Golden Axe together more times than I can count.

Then came Nintendo.  What a revelation.  I still remember the Christmas when I received that grey box, reading the Super Mario Bros. manual and thinking "what is this, what is this game that will now be in my home, what, just what."  And I still remember the first time I saw a Nintendo commercial.  It was for Legend of Zelda, and was in retrospect very weird - it had a lot of shots of a vaguely just-escaped-from-the-nuthouse guy in all black on a black screen, going "Zelda?  Zelda?  Zelda?" over and over.  With videos of gameplay that I had no understanding of (because I'd never seen a pseudo-top-down perspective before).  But it was so fascinating.  And when the game arrived - a game made of GOLD - it did not disappoint.

Through the years, I graduated from NES to Game Boy to SNES.  Then came the N64/PS divide, and I took the PS route to follow two of my favorite brands:  Castlevania and Final Fantasy.  Playing SotN and FFVII on the PS felt like rediscovering the joy and amazingness of gaming all over again.

On the complementary track was computer gaming.  My first computer was a Commodore 64.  It's in my old basement.  It still works.  After all these years.  I still have a literal shoebox of floppy (ACTUALLY floppy) discs for it.  So many memories.  The Gold Box SSI games.  The Ultima games.  Might and Magic.  Bard's Tale.  The Master of Magic (which music I still play on Youtube when I need to facilitate some deep thinking - all hail the musical mastery of Rob Hubbard).  So much greatness.

Through it all, my dad was alongside me, playing the same games.  Oftentimes playing them to greater completion than I did.  He beat Dragon Warrior II, a game I had written off as impossible thanks to its punishing difficulty, and a feat that I still maintain as a moment of greatness in gaming.  He played countless hours of Final Fantasy Tactics.  And Gladius.  The Shin Megami Tensei games.  We shared that love of gaming for many, many years.

My dad passed away of illness in September 2009.  He was 60 years young.  It should not have been his time.  But it was his time, and out of everyone around us, he finally accepted it.  Which helped me accept it too.

I keep all his saved games.

He never got to play Dominion, but he would have been an expert at it.

...this got away from me a bit.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:54 pm »
+4

And thanks for letting it, Volt.  I don't often get to see love in print.
Posting begets posting.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 02:43:28 pm »
+2

Age 34 here.  A child of the '80s, a teenager of the '90s. 

I experienced home videogaming before, during, and after the great crash of 1983.  I started with an Odyssey 2.  Then a ColecoVision.  Never had an Atari, but had friends who did. 

I grew up within walking distance of a mall.  With an honest-to-goodness '80s arcade attached to it.  I spent many happy hours there, in the company of my father.  I was the 5-year-old, standing on a box to reach the controls, who could beat Black Tiger and Space Harrier.  My father and I beat Golden Axe together more times than I can count.

Then came Nintendo.  What a revelation.  I still remember the Christmas when I received that grey box, reading the Super Mario Bros. manual and thinking "what is this, what is this game that will now be in my home, what, just what."  And I still remember the first time I saw a Nintendo commercial.  It was for Legend of Zelda, and was in retrospect very weird - it had a lot of shots of a vaguely just-escaped-from-the-nuthouse guy in all black on a black screen, going "Zelda?  Zelda?  Zelda?" over and over.  With videos of gameplay that I had no understanding of (because I'd never seen a pseudo-top-down perspective before).  But it was so fascinating.  And when the game arrived - a game made of GOLD - it did not disappoint.

Through the years, I graduated from NES to Game Boy to SNES.  Then came the N64/PS divide, and I took the PS route to follow two of my favorite brands:  Castlevania and Final Fantasy.  Playing SotN and FFVII on the PS felt like rediscovering the joy and amazingness of gaming all over again.

On the complementary track was computer gaming.  My first computer was a Commodore 64.  It's in my old basement.  It still works.  After all these years.  I still have a literal shoebox of floppy (ACTUALLY floppy) discs for it.  So many memories.  The Gold Box SSI games.  The Ultima games.  Might and Magic.  Bard's Tale.  The Master of Magic (which music I still play on Youtube when I need to facilitate some deep thinking - all hail the musical mastery of Rob Hubbard).  So much greatness.

Through it all, my dad was alongside me, playing the same games.  Oftentimes playing them to greater completion than I did.  He beat Dragon Warrior II, a game I had written off as impossible thanks to its punishing difficulty, and a feat that I still maintain as a moment of greatness in gaming.  He played countless hours of Final Fantasy Tactics.  And Gladius.  The Shin Megami Tensei games.  We shared that love of gaming for many, many years.

My dad passed away of illness in September 2009.  He was 60 years young.  It should not have been his time.  But it was his time, and out of everyone around us, he finally accepted it.  Which helped me accept it too.

I keep all his saved games.

He never got to play Dominion, but he would have been an expert at it.

... Talk about a moment. I have Pandora playing on my phone as I read the forums, and as always, I'm listening to operatic music playing.

And... As i read this wonderfully sweet piece you wrote about growing up, and your father, I realize that "Time to Say Goodbye" was streaming through my radio and infusing itself into your whole post...

And it brought back tears and memories of my Grandmother, who passed 7 years ago, at the age of 60. It was through her that I first experienced the wonder of Theatre, as we would travel up to Stratford in Canada every year to watch the amazing productions they put forth. And it was through her that my love of board gaming came to be, as we always had "Grandma and me Friday's" where we would game all night long. And...

... Thank you Volt, for the memories that reading this brought back. She meant the world to me, as I'm sure your Fathet did to you.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »
+1

i remember, as a kid, my mom getting mad at me for saying something "sucked". she said it was homophobic language. i don't think anyone thinks of it that way anymore.

i have, somewhere, a bunch of tiny diskettes with my saved games from Chessmaster 2000 on it. apparently as a preschooler i thought the best strategy was to move all my pieces in front of my king so the opponent couldn't get there. i mean, it's not the worst idea!

generational divides i've noticed:

myself and people older than me:
love the x-files
recognize smashing pumpkins songs

people younger than me:
love pokemon
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »

love the x-files

I actually am not an X-Files fan.

I guess it's a good enough show, but I never got into it, even though it played the same evening as my favorite show of the time, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr..

Then Brisco got canceled, and X moved on, so I never watched the show out of impotent protest.
A man has no signature

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:45 am »
+2

generational divides i've noticed:

love the x-files

people younger than me:
love pokemon

Woah now I may have enjoyed the show Pokemon and the first game, but I love love love the smashing pumpkins.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 09:36:41 am »

Completely missed this thread first time around, thanks for the bump:

You know that horrid day, June 6th, 2006? The one that looks like 6/6/06 when written out in that form? The day that people were praying not to have their children born on?

Yeah, I turned 13 that day.

I'm basically the spawn of the devil.

Get off my lawn. Not only do I have to share my birthday with Satan and D Day and my cat, but I have to share it with Young Nick now too? It seems my birth becomes more and more irrelevant by the second. My cat will always be the most important, though.

(Oh, and I was born in '89. I totally experienced the 80s)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 10:06:09 am »

I am 17.

I listened to Mozart and Sibelius when I was a child. I was busy not existing* when the Berlin Wall came down and during the Challenger explosion, then in my living room when 9/11 happened. I didn't really watch a lot of TV or films back then, but I played a lot of video games - Sonic the Hedgehog and Dune were great for some time, then I got too good at them and in the end my favorite game from those times was Mega-Lo-Mania, which still is a great game despite the graphics. My childhood wasn't particularly interesting aside from chess, but the beginning of my adolescence was way too interesting due to orthostatic hypotension. And now, soon I'm turning 18 and becoming an adult legally, which is great. Damn, people must have had hard time becoming adults in the past when they had to do it little by little, it took them like 15 years then, luckily in modern times it happens quickly in a matter of seconds!

*Man, it's really time-consuming! I've done it for 13 billion years already and I'm not even done yet, just taking a break.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:42 am »

30. 31 in July.

9/11/01 was my second week of classes for my first year of college.
I never listened to current music; I listened mostly to 60s music in high school.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:35:09 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 12:37:58 pm »
+1

I'm old enough that my first computer only had a black and orange screen.
I'm young enough that I still understand modern day technology.

It's quite a fun age: I've seen the rise of technology (well, not the industrial revolution) and the internet and both know a time without it and with it.

I still remember the old downloading days with Napster where you spent an entire afternoon looking for and downloading a song (with 56k) only to find out it was a fake!!! So annoying. And so different from the streaming world we live in today.

Wow, you're good at Dominion for an 8 year old!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.