Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 30014 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
How old are you?
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:42 pm »
+3

So, the topic of age came up in another thread, and it seemed fitting to post an obligatory, "How old are you" thread.

Since I've been chumming it up with some people in the non-Mafia games, I'm mildly curious.

But don't just post your age. That's boring. Post something relevant to your age. Who was your favorite band as a kid? Where were you when the Challenger exploded/Berlin Wall came down/9-11/etc.? What TV show or movie really influenced your life? What was interesting about your childhood? Anything age-related will do.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »
+5

I guess it's fair that I start. I hit the big 4-0 earlier this year. Actually, 41 is only a couple of months away.

What's interesting to me is that I had thought of people in their 40s as old. Now that I'm here, I don't really feel any different than I did 20 years ago. Well, okay, I'm not doing any stuntwork. My knees do bother me sometimes, but my mind is still sharp (mostly), and I enjoy playing games just as much as before.

Magic: The Gathering came out when I was in college. I didn't know much about it, being in a small college town without a gaming shop, but I discovered it at GamiCon. I came in shortly after Antiquities came out (how fitting), so I barely got some of the coveted Arabian Nights cards and even a couple of Moxes. I even won a Mox in a Magic game, back when people weren't afraid to play for ante. I stopped playing after Legends (I think Dark was the next expansion) and made a killing off of selling off sealed Legends packs that I lucked into. I bought them for $5 apiece and sold them for $20 before I realized I could make more by opening the packs.

I joke that most men's mid-life crises revolve around stupidly expensive cars or infidelity. My mid-life crisis was to learn how to sing, which has put me on the stage in front of thousands twice this year. And I'll be singing with the Kansas City Symphony next month. Granted, none of those opportunities were solos, but I'll take what I can get.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »

There is a saying in England : 'You are only as old as the woman you feel'

Unfortunately that makes a figment of your imagination!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:46 pm »
+3

I was born on the 8th day, of the 8th month, of the 88th year. Which makes me 24 in 2012.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
+1

January 31, 1985 here.

As a baby of the mid-80's, I conformed with anti-conformity.

I refused to watch Titanic when it came out, because it was "epic and cool". I refused to watch the original Starwars until almost 20, because it had such a huge fanbase. I still have only seen the originals (unmodified or rereleased). I still do not have an active Facebook account, under the original grounds that since everybody had one, I didn't want one.

However, I'm very entrenched in things that predate my time. I'm an avid, avid movie buff when it comes to film ranging from 1905 (early animation) to the mid-50's. Most music that I listen to is Cole Porter, or similar. I don't think I could name you more than 5 new bands/artists of the last 25 years - and certainly not with authority of their music. Neil Young, Tom Petty, Harry Chapin - all very good to my mind.

Television... Meh? I didn't watch any really during the 90's, as there was nothing worth watching. These days it's a mix of The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Family Guy and the occasional 30 Rock. If none of them are on or recorded, I'll have either food network on, or ESPN.

In sports, I grew up with Baseball. I lived in Chicago for 7 years and it was all about the Cubbies. Now it's the Giants, with a real inner struggle when the two play. I also avidly follow F1, and despise Nascar (I despise most things "southern" having way too many family ties back in hicksville, Tennessee/Kentucky (no offense to anyone living there now)).

I also despise Southpark, and most anything that is vulgar, racist, profane or discriminatory.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »
+5

You know that horrid day, June 6th, 2006? The one that looks like 6/6/06 when written out in that form? The day that people were praying not to have their children born on?

Yeah, I turned 13 that day.

I'm basically the spawn of the devil.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:06 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:13:09 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:57 pm »
+2

Galz! You watch the Food Network, and you didn't tell me??? Yes!

Love love love Chopped, Iron Next Chef, Next Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star, etc.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:09:34 pm »
+1

my father was forced to sell his tickets to a new york mets NLCS game against the astros because i was only ~4 months old and he couldn't get a babysitter.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »
+1

Love love love Chopped, Iron Next Chef, Next Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star, etc.

I miss the original Iron Chef's. ICA is soooo ridiculous at times. They don't take themselves seriously enough.

On the other hand, I love Alton Brown, and have had many occasions to meet him and enjoy his cooking.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »

I miss the original Iron Chef's. ICA is soooo ridiculous at times. They don't take themselves seriously enough.

On the other hand, I love Alton Brown, and have had many occasions to meet him and enjoy his cooking.

Woah, that is really cool. I'm a huge fan of lots of cooking shows too (all of the above +Masterchef and sometimes Hell's Kitchen/Kitchen Nightmares) and it's a goal of mine to eat the cooking of a famous chef.

And Alton is SO cool.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 03:33:48 pm »

January 31, 1985 here.

I refused to watch Titanic when it came out, because it was "epic and cool". I refused to watch the original Starwars until almost 20, because it had such a huge fanbase. I still have only seen the originals (unmodified or rereleased). I still do not have an active Facebook account, under the original grounds that since everybody had one, I didn't want one.

However, I'm very entrenched in things that predate my time. I'm an avid, avid movie buff when it comes to film ranging from 1905 (early animation) to the mid-50's. Most music that I listen to is Cole Porter, or similar. I don't think I could name you more than 5 new bands/artists of the last 25 years - and certainly not with authority of their music. Neil Young, Tom Petty, Harry Chapin - all very good to my mind.

Television... Meh? I didn't watch any really during the 90's, as there was nothing worth watching. These days it's a mix of The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Family Guy and the occasional 30 Rock. If none of them are on or recorded, I'll have either food network on, or ESPN.

This seems like a severe case of second option bias / anti-conformity for anti-conformity's sake.  Nothing worth watching during the 90's?  Seinfeld / Simpsons too mainstream for you?  Nothing worth listening to in the last 25 years?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »

the daily show and family guy both started in the 90's.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 03:47:37 pm »

January 31, 1985 here.

This seems like a severe case of second option bias / anti-conformity for anti-conformity's sake.  Nothing worth watching during the 90's?  Seinfeld / Simpsons too mainstream for you?  Nothing worth listening to in the last 25 years?

Seinfeld was really not to my tastes at all. Simpsons were ok, but not worth watching on a regular basis.

And indeed, very little music of the past 25 years has really stood out to me. Not in the sense of mainstream media. Now, if we're talking Musicals or Broadway....

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »

the daily show and family guy both started in the 90's.

Family Guy started in 1999, true, but I wouldn't exactly consider it to be a "product of the 90's".

Likewise, Jon Stewart didn't take over TDS until 1999, which is when it first began to catch my interest. I have never been a Craig Kilborn fan.

Mafia Record:

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »
+1

January 31, 1985 here.

Seinfeld was really not to my tastes at all. Simpsons were ok, but not worth watching on a regular basis.

And indeed, very little music of the past 25 years has really stood out to me. Not in the sense of mainstream media. Now, if we're talking Musicals or Broadway....

I get that you might not like a lot of the popular stuff, but there is no way every TV show and every band in the 90's and 00's could be beneath you, regardless of your favorite genre of TV/music.  Like most decades before them, they were revolutionary decades for the mediums.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »

January 31, 1985 here.

I get that you might not like a lot of the popular stuff, but there is no way every TV show and every band in the 90's and 00's could be beneath you, regardless of your favorite genre of TV/music.  Like most decades before them, they were revolutionary decades for the mediums.

I'm not saying that they were worthless, just that I had very little - to none at all - interest in what they offered.

Mafia Record:

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »

Also 24 here, slightly older than Robz, being a march 31, almost an april fooler.

I watched MuchMusic when it still played music.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »

When I was a young teenager I was able to play/program a ZX81 computer.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »
+19

I was 147 when Goko came out of Beta.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:33 pm »
+1

in first grade, i made my parents buy me a new kids on the block cassette, and never listened to it

one of my earliest pop culture memories is seeing Kriss Kross on soul train

i can also remember J R Reid playing for UNC

i read about the blair witch project in Spin magazine, and neither of my parents wanted to see it, so i made my soccer coach take me. it was cool.

the first album i bought for myself was yo la tengo's I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. no regrets.

i remember using AOL chat rooms to talk about the latest Magic the gathering set, Legends. there were wild rumors about "oh man, i saw an elder dragon legend, it was 15/15". also i remember throat wolf.

i placed third in the all-internet Acrophobia competition. i was in a clan.

i beta-tested Stellar Crisis.

i had a timex sinclair computer when i was one. i used it before i could read. it taught me how to read, really.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:52:34 pm by cayvie »
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:38 pm »

Couch rules for life.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 02:04:21 am »

Couch rules for life.

oh god

because nothing says skill like putting exclamation points at the end of all your sentences!!!

(rainbow room, suckas)
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 03:08:53 am »
+1

The day after the tragic Columbine shooting happened, I vaguely remember getting scolded by a teacher or parent for saying something insensitive about the victims and their families. In my defense, I had only just turned 8 a couple weeks earlier.

That also means I was part of the lucky generation that got to enjoy The Phantom Menace in theaters. A new Star Wars movie! Awesome! ... Sadly it took many years and perhaps around ten more viewings to learn really appreciate the truth. (excited about Disney's recent acquisition, cautiously optimistic about the new movies, but would not care if they blew worse than the prequels if Battlefront III was made and was awesome as the first two)

I was brought up a sports fan, and there are stories of me having an encyclopedic knowledge of the Colorado Avalanche before I was in Kindergarten; I have a few vague memories of their championship, and the Broncos' back-to-back Super Bowls. I do specifically remember Terrell Davis's devastating injury just a few games into the Brian Griese era. The moment Joe Sakic handed the Stanley Cup to Ray Bourque will always be one of the great moments in sports history. That was over eleven years ago, and I'm hoping Peyton can help bring Denver another championship soon! (I guess there were the Rockies in '07 winning the NL, and like many fair weather fans I was following them closely for a while. I have stuck with my Broncos and Avs through thick and thin though!)

I am often told I'm too young to be married, but it's been that way for over a year and a half now (no kids yet). I'm in my fourth year of college right now, but due to late transfer and change of major I'll be in school for at least another year and a half; the current goal is to stay another two and a half total and escape with a BS and MS (computer science).
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 04:39:51 am »
+1

My age is the most logical cubed number to hang around on these forums, not that I have anything against the other cubes, I would just be surprised to find them here.

I'm old enough that my first computer only had a black and orange screen.
I'm young enough that I still understand modern day technology.

It's quite a fun age: I've seen the rise of technology (well, not the industrial revolution) and the internet and both know a time without it and with it.

I still remember the old downloading days with Napster where you spent an entire afternoon looking for and downloading a song (with 56k) only to find out it was a fake!!! So annoying. And so different from the streaming world we live in today.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.