Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just played two Alt-VP games  (Read 768 times)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
Just played two Alt-VP games
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »

For many reasons, I'm a fan of Alt-VP.  Finding when it is right, or making it work, are some of the most satisfying Dominion moments for me.

I just played two such games.

=============================================

In the first, I played a similarly-ranked opponent, and won in 17 turns with:
5 Harems
6 Islands
7 Silk Roads [23 Victory Cards]
4 Estates
1 Province
= 67 points

Against my opponent's:
3 Harems
2 Islands
1 Silk Road [17 Victory Cards]
3 Estates
2 Duchies
6 Provinces
= 59 points

Harems, Islands, and Silk Roads were all gone.

Now, 17 turns may seem like long, but I wasn't racing Provinces, and forcing him to get more than 4 gave me the time I needed to drain the three piles for the win.  There were none of the traditional Silk Road gainers on the board (if there were, I would have been using them instead).  The only non-VP action card in my deck was a single Margrave.  Essentially, I played BM+X for Alt-VP instead of Provs.  And Villages were on the board (Bazaar).  Very fun!

In the second game, against a lower-ranked opponent, the exact kingdom was:

Colony/Platinum

Counting House
Rabble
Tactician
Tribute
Walled Village
Shanty Town
Warehouse
Pawn
Transmute
Vineyard

I opened Potion/Silver.  On first $5, I bought a Tactician.  On first P, I bought a Transmute.  Buying as many actions as I could to fuel a Rabble-draw engine.  Pawn for the +Buy.  The only treasure I bought after the initial two turns was two Platina.

The key component was the Transmutes.  I used them to gain two Gold from Estate-trashing, but after that, I trashed all of my Coppers so as to gain extra Transmutes!  Essentially, I was going for both Vineyards AND Colonies.

I won with:
4 Colonies
6 Vineyards [18 Action cards]
2 Provinces
1 Duchy
= 91 points

Against my opponent's:
4 Colonies
1 Vineyards [9 Action cards]
2 Provinces
3 Estates
= 58 points

Ended on Colonies in 25 turns.  I was amazed at how going for both Vineyards and Colonies worked out for me.  It was pretty fun to see it work.

Granted, both of these games could have been played better.  I'm not claiming that they were perfect, nor that my opponents played perfectly and that I out-strategized them.  Luck may have been a significant factor.  But Alt-VP is still fun.  ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.