Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1170789 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4800 on: August 08, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »

DER NEBEL

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 08, 2014, 03:16:32 pm »

I HAVE BEEN AWAKENED...

Hey, is that avatar one of the giant creatures from the movie "The Mist" based on Stephen King's novel of the same name?

The Mist was a short story, not a novel. 

Okay maybe it was reprinted as a standalone, but it was originally in Skeleton Crew.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 08, 2014, 07:17:48 pm »
+1

How music changes gifs:

http://dooku.net/
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: August 09, 2014, 01:19:11 am »
+1

8/8, let's celebrate!

Happy Birthday Robz!!!
8-8? Guess it's Dallas Cowboys day today... :(

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: August 09, 2014, 01:30:56 am »

Finished Transistor. It was...interesting. I'm still undecided on if it was a good game or not, since you only understand a lot of the story once you're near the end. It feels like a game that gets better on later playthroughs, when you know what's going on, and you understand the battle system enough to really cut loose with it.

The battle system is really, really fun though, so if you're not big on plot that's really all you need.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: August 09, 2014, 01:36:03 am »
+3

8/8, let's celebrate!

Happy Birthday Robz!!!
8-8? Guess it's Dallas Cowboys day today... :(

8/08 is BOB day.
Well you *do* need a signature...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 09, 2014, 09:35:14 am »

#fun story: I've always felt that luck in dominion comes in series, but it doesn't really make sense for that to be true, so I started writing something down after every game of dominion...

... WS if I played better and won because of it
... WL if I didn't play better but won anyway
... LS if I played worse and lost because of it
... LL if I played at least as good as my opponent but lost anyway
... DS if I played better, but was unfortunate to have a tie
... DL if I played worse, but was fortunate to have a tie
... WD If my opp disconnected
... LD if I disconnected

of course these are just personal evaluations, my opponent might have rated it differently.

here is the .txt file. it really looks like series, which is very weird.

also stats, I wrote a java program to count:
WS: 143
WL: 54
LS: 42
LL: 86
WD: 4
LD: 1
others:
LB
LB

I made one LB for "Lost Badmanner" when I played houroku who played all treasures individually and kept taking unnecessary amounts of time for trivial decisions, pretty sure that's the only reason I lost. don't remember the other one.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: August 09, 2014, 11:00:49 am »

Now you can do a runs test and see if there really are streaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wald%E2%80%93Wolfowitz_runs_test

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 09, 2014, 11:11:16 am »
+2

#fun story: I've always felt that luck in dominion comes in series, but it doesn't really make sense for that to be true, so I started writing something down after every game of dominion...

... WS if I played better and won because of it
... WL if I didn't play better but won anyway
... LS if I played worse and lost because of it
... LL if I played at least as good as my opponent but lost anyway
... DS if I played better, but was unfortunate to have a tie
... DL if I played worse, but was fortunate to have a tie
... WD If my opp disconnected
... LD if I disconnected

of course these are just personal evaluations, my opponent might have rated it differently.

here is the .txt file. it really looks like series, which is very weird.

also stats, I wrote a java program to count:
WS: 143
WL: 54
LS: 42
LL: 86
WD: 4
LD: 1
others:
LB
LB

I made one LB for "Lost Badmanner" when I played houroku who played all treasures individually and kept taking unnecessary amounts of time for trivial decisions, pretty sure that's the only reason I lost. don't remember the other one.

Hmm, it definitely makes sense for successive games to not be independent.  For example, I play against bots, and if I lose a game because I did something stupid, got unlucky, or just made a stupid misclick/interface mistake, I'm much more likely to play poorly the next game.  I'm on "tilt" and kind of want to just make up for the previous game.  The effect is probably greater than against human components, because you take a lot more time to think things through against real players.  (I play kind of speed games against bots.)  I'm sure the effect is still there to some degree, though.

Just like in any sport/game/activity/event .. doing things well and winning makes you feel "good" and you get on a "streak".  Mistakes breed more mistakes.  Making each thing independent is a true challenge, and probably not ever achievable.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: August 09, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »

Hmm, it definitely makes sense for successive games to not be independent.  For example, I play against bots, and if I lose a game because I did something stupid, got unlucky, or just made a stupid misclick/interface mistake, I'm much more likely to play poorly the next game.  I'm on "tilt" and kind of want to just make up for the previous game.  The effect is probably greater than against human components, because you take a lot more time to think things through against real players.  (I play kind of speed games against bots.)  I'm sure the effect is still there to some degree, though.

the hypothesis was about luck though, not about success. the tilt effect is certainly there, it's something I've been struggling with forever.

Now you can do a runs test and see if there really are streaks.

but I got 4 variables, not 2. and I can't just translate WS, LL into "no luck" and WL, LS into "luck", because I've been using WS also if i was lucky and played better, which happens quite often.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: August 09, 2014, 04:37:41 pm »

but I got 4 variables, not 2. and I can't just translate WS, LL into "no luck" and WL, LS into "luck", because I've been using WS also if i was lucky and played better, which happens quite often.

The only real variable is whether you won or lost. The rest is just your subjective perceptions, which may vary just as much as your actual skill from day to day.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: August 09, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »

Are any of you trying out dnd 5th edition?  What do you think of it?  How does it compare with 3.5 or 4e?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 09, 2014, 05:40:49 pm »

Are any of you trying out dnd 5th edition?  What do you think of it?  How does it compare with 3.5 or 4e?

I did a bit of the playtest awhile ago, if that counts. It was cool, but not enough to pull me away from Pathfinder.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 09, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »

As someone who is not a D&D guy at all, I have heard other people say generically positive things and that it feels like a blend of 4 and 1. And that nobody who plays Pathfinder is likely to switch.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »

What's a pathfinder?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4815 on: August 09, 2014, 08:17:34 pm »
+1

What's a pathfinder?
Scout.

Non sarcastic response: A RPG that uses cards and is supposedly really, really fun.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: August 09, 2014, 08:27:05 pm »

What's a pathfinder?
Scout.

Non sarcastic response: A RPG that uses cards and is supposedly really, really fun.

It doesn't use cards as far as I know.  Basically the old dnd team broke off and developed a "spiritual successor" to dnd 3.5 when fans were upset about dnd 4

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: August 09, 2014, 08:33:25 pm »

What's a pathfinder?
Scout.

It doesn't use cards as far as I know.  Basically the old dnd team broke off and developed a "spiritual successor" to dnd 3.5 when fans were upset about dnd 4
Really? I thought the name was Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game. But maybe that's a spinoff.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »

What's a pathfinder?
Scout.

Really? I thought the name was Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game. But maybe that's a spinoff.

That's the one I recognize, but a quick search turns up this.  Apparently DnD 4e had lots of issues including a more restrictive license and incompatibility with older versions.  So, as SirPeebles said, staff broke off and created something that was backwards compatible with DnD v3.5.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: August 10, 2014, 03:37:14 am »

The Pathfinder card game is different from the Pathfinder RPG.

I like what I've seen from D&D 5th edition, but it's not much better than 3rd edition, which is to say that it's almost as good as Pathfinder, which is to say that it could be the best game on the market...in 1991.

5th edition is trying to become a little bit more narrative, but it's still trying to cater to those stuck in the early '80s.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: August 10, 2014, 12:11:26 pm »

5th edition is trying to become a little bit more narrative

They had to after the backlash from 4e.

Personally, I didn't mind 4e at all insofar as RPG systems go.  But it had more power creep from new books than 3.5e, which is saying something.

but it's still trying to cater to those stuck in the early '80s.

To be fair, that's a significant chunk of their market.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: August 10, 2014, 12:27:32 pm »

has anyone ever noticed how great a mint/beggar opening is? you have a super thin deck with a terminal gold at the beginning of t3, it's even better than gold/chapel on a baker board. and the usual drawback of not having enough economy with a mint opening doesn't exist. i wonder why it isn't in the top10 best openings...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: August 10, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »

has anyone ever noticed how great a mint/beggar opening is? you have a super thin deck with a terminal gold at the beginning of t3, it's even better than gold/chapel on a baker board. and the usual drawback of not having enough economy with a mint opening doesn't exist. i wonder why it isn't in the top10 best openings...

Hum, because if you rely on beggar as your economy, you better be playing a slog?

In my understanding, opening with mint is good because you get a super streamlined deck very quickly, but it's not great because your deck can't do anything for a while (barring good 2$ cards). With beggar, you are losing the reason why opening mint is good: your deck won't stay slim for long.

Unless you intend to buy mint again afterwards, I don't know. How would you play it?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4823 on: August 10, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

I don't get it. After two uses of Beggar, you have more Copper than you started with, plus two extra almost-dead cards. And the economy in a deck of two Coppers, one terminal Gold and four dead cards isn't super great. What's the point?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: August 10, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »

Because th deck is onlky good for 2 turns ? Why buy Mint if you're going to get a bunch of other Coppers and no good Treasure to replicate ? I guess the idea is to buy a Gold quickly thans to Beggar, but it's not like it's that likely... It seems like a pretty terrible opening to me.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.