Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1168297 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4425 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40:18 pm »
+1

I think the second point is wrong.  It specifically says "when you gain a card", which should only apply to whomever has it in play, not to opponents.

Should that say "whomever", or "whoever"?
So it should say "whomever" here because you are using it in the objective case as the object of the preposition "to"
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: July 18, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

I think the second point is wrong.  It specifically says "when you gain a card", which should only apply to whomever has it in play, not to opponents.

So it should say "whomever" here because you are using it in the objective case as the object of the preposition "to"
"apply to whomever it has in play."

Who has it in play? He has it in play, therefore it's whoever.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: July 18, 2014, 05:26:35 pm »

so what color furniture is the most appealing?  Also, chairs, with cushions or without?

All the colors! Chairs with cusions. Otherwise you'll get a sore butt if you sit down too long.
Agreed. Cushions are required for Dominion.
I do not know why you guys responded to the question that was clearly asked only to chairs.  It was rude, and I refuse to listen to your answers.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:04 pm »

Are you sure?

What is being applied? It (the effect in question) is being applied.

It's being applied to whom? "Whoever has it in play" has the effect applied to them.

Any grammar experts willing to step in and clarify this?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:34:36 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: July 18, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

Wait, is "whomever" even a word? I don't think I've ever seen it written.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: July 18, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »

if you want to specify a thing that is from another thing, but that thing is not a person, can you still use "whose"? f.e, is "a lake whose water..." correct? sounds wrong.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: July 18, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »
+6

I'm there for you.

It's a living language. "Whom" and "whomever" are dying words, normally not used by English speakers except in very particular contexts. Don't cling to 'em, that's my advice; let 'em go. Consider how easy you find it not to use "ye."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:01 pm »
+1

I'm there for you.

It's a living language. "Whom" and "whomever" are dying words, normally not used by English speakers except in very particular contexts. Don't cling to 'em, that's my advice; let 'em go. Consider how easy you find it not to use "ye."

Blasphemy!  I took thee for thy better.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: July 18, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
+3

I'm there for you.

Blasphemy!  I took thee for thy better.

Thy tongue betrayeth thee. Mayhaps ye old bar of soap can purge such nonsense from thy mouth!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »

if you want to specify a thing that is from another thing, but that thing is not a person, can you still use "whose"? f.e, is "a lake whose water..." correct? sounds wrong.

bump. this was an actual question :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: July 18, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »

"Whom" and "whomever" are both used commonly in the standard way. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: July 18, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »

"Apply to  ".  Consider putting yourself in there.  Is it "apply to me" or "apply to I"? 

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:25 pm »

I'm there for you.

My brother, as a linguistics graduate, says the same thing. I could have asked him about this, but he wasn't around.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:55 pm »
+3

I'm there for you.

"Ye" is just an orthographical variant of "the".  English used to use the letter "thorn" to denote the "th" sound.  "y" looks a bit like an incomplete thorn and was used until eventually "th" won out leaving us with the.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »

I don't think "whose" sounds wrong. You could also try "with", or go full awkward and say "a lake that contains water (that/which/whatever ....)"
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4440 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »

I don't think "whose" sounds wrong. You could also try "with", or go full awkward and say "a lake that contains water (that/which/whatever ....)"

I would use whose. Anthropomorphization ftw

Also, I assume that "f.e." stands for for "for example," but it's not an acronym I've seen anyone else use. "e.g." is the standard in English AFAIK (short for Latin Exempli Gratia)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:15:06 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: July 18, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »
+1

Also, I assume that "f.e." stands for for "for example," but it's not an acronym I've seen anyone else use. "e.g." is the standard in English AFAIK (short for Latin Exempli Gratia)

orly? i use it all the time. but i've never seen anyone else using it, now that i think about it. thanks, that's probably a good thing to stop doing.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: July 18, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »
+2

orly? i use it all the time. but i've never seen anyone else using it, now that i think about it. thanks, that's probably a good thing to stop doing.

Yeah, use "e.g." for examples.  Also note that people often confuse it with "i.e", which is not for examples but rather to clarify something specific.  For more info, check out this Oatmeal comic.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: July 18, 2014, 11:40:09 pm »
+1

"Ye" is just an orthographical variant of "the".  English used to use the letter "thorn" to denote the "th" sound.  "y" looks a bit like an incomplete thorn and was used until eventually "th" won out leaving us with the.
"Ye" isn't "just" that; I was referring to "ye" as in "whom do ye trust?" We say "you" there now, although back then "you" was just the plural form of "thou."

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: July 19, 2014, 12:21:43 am »
+4

fe stands for iron
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: July 19, 2014, 03:49:23 am »
+6

Drew1023 as long as I make a game move every 5 minutes it will give you lots of time to reflect on what a pathetic ***** you are
Drew1023 how about this you are a pathetic piece of trash that spends all day playing an online card game
Drew1023 that's pretty sad
Drew1023 yeah and I am free to remark on just how sad and pathetic it is and that you are wasting limited resources of the earth existing in your sad and pathetic little life
Drew1023 if all you are doing with your pathetic little life is staying in your mommy's basement and playing an online card game than you are not contributing and simply deserve to not live. You are very lucky I don't know where you liv or I'd do the world a favor.

You would not believe how much I lol'd at this and then how disappointed I got when I realised it wasn't actually the Facebook stalking mission report.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4446 on: July 19, 2014, 04:44:16 am »
+3

Drew1023 as long as I make a game move every 5 minutes it will give you lots of time to reflect on what a pathetic ***** you are
Drew1023 how about this you are a pathetic piece of trash that spends all day playing an online card game
Drew1023 yeah and I am free to remark on just how sad and pathetic it is and that you are wasting limited resources of the earth existing in your sad and pathetic little life
Drew1023 if all you are doing with your pathetic little life is staying in your mommy's basement and playing an online card game than you are not contributing and simply deserve to not live. You are very lucky I don't know where you liv or I'd do the world a favor.

You would not believe how much I lol'd at this and then how disappointed I got when I realised it wasn't actually the Facebook stalking mission report.
I thought he was referring to that with "being slow played", too, until the second post.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: July 19, 2014, 11:11:04 am »

I thought he was referring to that with "being slow played", too, until the second post.

Same here.
Well you *do* need a signature...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:04 pm »
+8

You won't believe what's in the smallest one!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: July 19, 2014, 07:06:21 pm »

Aside from the fact that I also was expecting a mission report, I was amused by this exchange.

The guy is lambasting you for "wasting your time" playing a game, when he's wasting his time not playing a game. And that's normally fine; a lot of people waste their times not playing games--eating a juicy cheeseburger, curing cancer, getting laid--but he's wasting his time making fun of someone else wasting his time.

Truly pathetic behavior.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 201  All

Page created in 2.826 seconds with 21 queries.