Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162302 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2850 on: April 23, 2014, 06:22:31 pm »

http://www.crazygames.com/game/2584-fibonacci

Had to find it after it was mentioned in the video.  This is so confusing though.  Very easy to accidentally combine the nth number with the (n-1)th instead of the (n+1)th.

Ooh, I kinda like this one, though I'm not totally convinced it's harder, since for any tile there are two possible other types you can combine it with. I wish it let you play on like 2048 does.

(snip image)
I thought it was easier. I tried it once yesterday, I was tired and not really paying a lot of attention to the game and I beat my 2048 high score.

OK, just finished it.  I definitely feel that 2048 is easier.  2548 has far more steps so the game is so much longer.  Also came close to getting filled up with a bunch of tiles that were all the same.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:18 pm »

The golden ratio is less than two, so the game will certainly be longer.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: April 24, 2014, 04:44:24 am »
+3

HAHA

I wrote this using the above nomenclature, but I maintain that any version of lol/haha/whatever written in caps should be taken to mean the writer is mentally ill.

HaHaHaHa
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: April 24, 2014, 05:58:39 am »
+4

Another 2048

http://newbrict.github.io/Fe26/

edit: but that's not that hard, got 5 iron_56
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:32:59 am by DStu »

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: April 24, 2014, 11:17:03 am »
+1

http://www.crazygames.com/game/2584-fibonacci

Had to find it after it was mentioned in the video.  This is so confusing though.  Very easy to accidentally combine the nth number with the (n-1)th instead of the (n+1)th.

Ooh, I kinda like this one, though I'm not totally convinced it's harder, since for any tile there are two possible other types you can combine it with. I wish it let you play on like 2048 does.

(snip image)
I thought it was easier. I tried it once yesterday, I was tired and not really paying a lot of attention to the game and I beat my 2048 high score.

OK, just finished it.  I definitely feel that 2048 is easier.  2548 has far more steps so the game is so much longer.  Also came close to getting filled up with a bunch of tiles that were all the same.
I think in principle Fibonaccis is easier than exponentials.  This game here is longer because it starts with 1s and not with 2s as default tile, so you really have to join the 2584 tiles to get to the 2584, while for 2048 you only need 1024 tiles.  You have to be a bit more careful, as tiles might more easily join unexpected compared to 2048, but the fact that you can correct errors from both sides, and especially can free trapped spots behind a Fib_n block by only going to Fib_{n-1} helps a lot.

Also note that you need much less space on the board to snake your way up to Fib_n, as Fib_{n-1}, Fib_{n-3}, Fib_{n-5}, ... , Fib_{n-2i}, Fib_{n-2i-1} connect to Fib_n.  While this not always works out perfectly, for large n it almost automatically does as you don't build too large blocks by accident.  As ((1+sqrt(5))/2)^2 > 2, this would also mean that you need less space to get to higher numbers.

Only thing why this looks harder/longer is that you starts with 2s in 2048 for whatever reason instead of 1s.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:41 pm »
+1

Another 2048

I didn't see the chart below and didn't remember my nuclear chemistry well enough, so I kept getting stuck at Magnesium.  But yeah, once you manage to line up two Oxygens for Silicon, the rest of the game is trivial.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »
+9

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
+1

Another 2048

I didn't see the chart below and didn't remember my nuclear chemistry well enough, so I kept getting stuck at Magnesium.  But yeah, once you manage to line up two Oxygens for Silicon, the rest of the game is trivial.

Damn it Beryllium-7, who invited you?

That's the first 2048-alike I've completed.  I feel I learnt something.  Did I learn true things?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: April 24, 2014, 05:22:21 pm »
+1

Another 2048

That's the first 2048-alike I've completed.  I feel I learnt something.  Did I learn true things?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_burning_process

Seems pretty accurate.  I think the main problem is that the radioactive decays should produce a He-4 as well, but I can see why that was ignored.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:14 pm »
+4

Ah, so this explains why stars naturally evolve into enormous balls of magnesium over the course of their lifetime. Nature is so beautiful.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: April 24, 2014, 05:30:45 pm »
+15

Ah, so this explains why stars naturally evolve into enormous balls of magnesium over the course of their lifetime. Nature is so beautiful.

O Mg

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:09 pm »

I got 4 Iron 56s in one game, compare to in 2048 where that would be a 8192 tile, while I haven't come remotely close to doing. I like how in this game you can't just mash the arrow keys and do well.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: April 24, 2014, 08:33:55 pm »
+4

I got 4 Iron 56s in one game, compare to in 2048 where that would be a 8192 tile, while I haven't come remotely close to doing. I like how in this game you can't just mash the arrow keys and do well.

But that's what the stars do!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: April 24, 2014, 08:35:27 pm »

the stars have lots of space!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:50 pm »
+1

Another 2048

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_burning_process

Seems pretty accurate.  I think the main problem is that the radioactive decays should produce a He-4 as well, but I can see why that was ignored.

Eh, it's not nearly as accurate as I would like.  Magnesium is not some sort of stoppage point in the process, Mg + alpha will fuse to Si.  And all of the by-products are left out.  Ugh!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: April 25, 2014, 12:37:11 am »

That Parks and Rec ending.  :o

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 25, 2014, 03:25:06 am »

http://flappy2048.com/

That's the highest tile of all these 2048 variants...

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 25, 2014, 04:53:06 am »

In this variant it's quite doable to get into the millions, once you know how the new feature works: http://sbeyer.github.io/2048/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:58 am »

Alright, so I've posted Demetori/Touhou music before, but I have to do it again. I'm pretty sure I'm in love with every song in this album.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2869 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:18 am »
+1

I have exactly 2048 2049 respect now!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:06:12 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:51 am »

What're you talking about?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2871 on: April 25, 2014, 08:06:25 am »

What're you talking about?
It was a typo.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 25, 2014, 08:40:42 am »

Does anyone here type without looking at the keyboard?

I type without looking at sthe scroeen and correcting my mistakes.
I correct half my mistakes without having to look at the screen though. Sometimes, you just know that what you just typed was wrong.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I made that post I was intentionally just typing faster than I actually can, so when I didn't know which button to press next I just pressed something and let it stick.

Also, 75 WPM adjusted to 73 WPM. I don't touch type, but I can at least type at a pace which is reasonably fast. I think also two of the errors in there were kinda unfair, I put a full stop at the end of a sentence that didn't have one, but ehh.
Huh? Oh, there were typos in your post. Didn't notice.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: April 25, 2014, 08:47:09 am »
+2

Recently, I noticed that when I pour hot water into my tea cup, the water level quickly drops a bit. At first, I thought maybe the tea bag was absorbing the water, but why that would make the height of the water in the cup draw was beyond me. But then, I noticed that the height of the hot water still dropped even when there was no tea bag.

What I was witnessing must have been the water decreasing in volume as it quickly cooled and contracted once in the cup. Go material science! Or does material science only care about solids? Whatever, that's the domain of physics it reminded me of.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2874 on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:10 am »
+1

Recently, I noticed that when I pour hot water into my tea cup, the water level quickly drops a bit. At first, I thought maybe the tea bag was absorbing the water, but why that would make the height of the water in the cup draw was beyond me. But then, I noticed that the height of the hot water still dropped even when there was no tea bag.

What I was witnessing must have been the water decreasing in volume as it quickly cooled and contracted once in the cup. Go material science! Or does material science only care about solids? Whatever, that's the domain of physics it reminded me of.
That's why you should warm the cup before pouring the final hot water into it.

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.