Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162344 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2800 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »

Does anyone here type without looking at the keyboard?

I type without looking at the keyboard, with only two fingers (and 60 words per minute)!  I think I usually have to look at the keyboard for the first letter in a sentence/paragraph though.  (And actually, I use other fingers for things like shift.)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »
+1

I look at the keyboard for number symbols I rarely use (eg #,$,%,^,&) but other than that I type without looking.

Thanks Mario Teaches Typing!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
+1

Typing while looking at the keyboard just feels so clunky to me.  Touch typing is much faster.  Thanks to muscle memory, my fingers move faster than my eyes could follow.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:57:45 pm by eHalcyon »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: April 22, 2014, 02:51:56 pm »
+3

I rearranged my keyboard to be slightly off what it should be to foil any keyboard lookers that try to use it:

qwertyiupo
adsfhgjlk
xzbcvmn
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:49 pm »

Typing while looking at the keyboard just feels so clunky to me.  Touch typing is much faster.  Thanks to muscle memory, my fingers move faster than my eyes could follow.

I hybrid type. I probably look for about 50% of the typing I do. I have no training I have just been using a keyboard so long that I really just kind of point my eyeballs at it and touch type. I often realize I am typing while looking at the screen and suddenly start making mistakes where I was not before. I cannot consciously touch type. My eyes do not identify each key press but definitely keep spatial orientation though I am definitely not looking at each letter pressed. Oh, yeah, I type about 110 wpm with occasional errors and around 80 wpm with zero errors. I can use a number pad entirely without looking, though.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:31 pm »

I often print my capital letters while using cursive for the rest.

Also, mathematicians and physicists sometimes explicitly use cursive for the names of certain variables.  It is usually called "script".  For instance, the Lagrangian density is denoted by script L.  In cosmology, Pensrose diagrams are used to draw the spacetime geometry of black holes, and along the boundary you have "future light-like infinity" and "past light-like infinity" which are denoted script I+ and script I-.  In fact, in conversation they pronounce script I as the abbreviated "scry".
Well you *do* need a signature...

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »
+6

So, does anyone look at the mouse when they are clicking it?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:22 pm »
+2

I often print my capital letters while using cursive for the rest.

Also, mathematicians and physicists sometimes explicitly use cursive for the names of certain variables.  It is usually called "script".  For instance, the Lagrangian density is denoted by script L.  In cosmology, Pensrose diagrams are used to draw the spacetime geometry of black holes, and along the boundary you have "future light-like infinity" and "past light-like infinity" which are denoted script I+ and script I-.  In fact, in conversation they pronounce script I as the abbreviated "scry".

Cursive?  I always wrote my Fourier transform operator as "that weird looking capital F with some extra squiggles thingies". 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: April 22, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

I hybrid type. I probably look for about 50% of the typing I do. I have no training I have just been using a keyboard so long that I really just kind of point my eyeballs at it and touch type. I often realize I am typing while looking at the screen and suddenly start making mistakes where I was not before. I cannot consciously touch type. My eyes do not identify each key press but definitely keep spatial orientation though I am definitely not looking at each letter pressed. Oh, yeah, I type about 110 wpm with occasional errors and around 80 wpm with zero errors. I can use a number pad entirely without looking, though.

I just did a random typing test from the first hit on Google.  I got 95 wpm with 1 error, 94 wpm adjusted.  Second attempt, 104 wpm with 1 error.  Third try, 101 wpm with no errors.  I did make an effort to keep my eye out for errors and to backspace and correct them, which significantly impacts the overall wpm.  I would do better typing my own thoughts (so I don't need to move my eyes between the reference and my actual output).

I know some people can type really fast via hybrid touch typing and "hunt and peck", but it blows my mind.

I learned touch typing in Jr. High.  Had a lot of trouble at first, but now it's second nature.  Number pad was easier, but I'm not sure how well I can use it now.  I usually don't need to use the numpad so I am out of practice (and there isn't really a numpad on my laptop).

Edit: Oh, and there was no particular training.  The teacher just said, "try this" and had us practice, mostly by having us type things while our hands were covered by a sheet of paper.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:06:25 pm by eHalcyon »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:10 pm »
+1

So, does anyone look at the mouse when they are clicking it?
Sometimes :(

(Only when I use the mouse of one of the animators in the office. That thing is ridiculous.)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: April 22, 2014, 03:33:44 pm »
+5

I type without looking at sthe scroeen and correcting my mistakes.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2811 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »

Yes. I have to look at the keyboard for the print screen key, but pretty much everything else I do without looking at it. I look at the MIDI keyboard when I'm using that, though.

I just did a random typing test from the first hit on Google.  I got 95 wpm with 1 error, 94 wpm adjusted.  Second attempt, 104 wpm with 1 error.  Third try, 101 wpm with no errors.
I'm getting something between 105 and 110 from this test with 1-4 errors every time. It would be nice if I didn't have to read a text while typing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: April 22, 2014, 04:10:00 pm »
+2

2048 hard mode

http://sztupy.github.io/2048-Hard/

strategy discussion from the numberphile guys

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 22, 2014, 04:13:36 pm »
+4

Isn't typing without looking at the keyboard the definition of touch typing? Anybody who types in any kind of professional capacity owes it to themselves to learn touch typing. OK, sure, maybe you can type fast while looking at the keyboard sometimes. I guarantee you that if you spend the time to learn touch typing, you will type faster.

Also, "improved neural connections in the brain" is a terrible reason to learn anything. Creating neural connections in the brain is more-or-less what learning is. That reason is essentially just saying "learn this because learning is good". True, but learning anything else would work as well.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: April 22, 2014, 04:30:13 pm »

I rearranged my keyboard to be slightly off what it should be to foil any keyboard lookers that try to use it:

qwertyiupo
adsfhgjlk
xzbcvmn
Ach, my muscle memory!

I can sorta type without looking at the keyboard, mostly with my index fingers to boot, but it seems suboptimal for me.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: April 22, 2014, 04:33:18 pm »

I correct half my mistakes without having to look at the screen though. Sometimes, you just know that what you just typed was wrong.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

I correct half my mistakes without having to look at the screen though. Sometimes, you just know that what you just typed was wrong.

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I made that post I was intentionally just typing faster than I actually can, so when I didn't know which button to press next I just pressed something and let it stick.

Also, 75 WPM adjusted to 73 WPM. I don't touch type, but I can at least type at a pace which is reasonably fast. I think also two of the errors in there were kinda unfair, I put a full stop at the end of a sentence that didn't have one, but ehh.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:52 pm »

Are you supposed to write the integral symbol from bottom to top or top to bottom?  This has been bugging me for ages (more specifically, since my first time writing it, like a week or two ago).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: April 22, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »

Are you supposed to write the integral symbol from bottom to top or top to bottom?  This has been bugging me for ages (more specifically, since my first time writing it, like a week or two ago).

I always write it from top to bottom.  Just like an "S".  I mean.. it is an "S".. for sum.  Writing from bottom to top feels like writing backwards.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:18 pm »

http://www.crazygames.com/game/2584-fibonacci

Had to find it after it was mentioned in the video.  This is so confusing though.  Very easy to accidentally combine the nth number with the (n-1)th instead of the (n+1)th.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:34 pm »
+1

I always go top to bottom.  Like an S, as Witherweaver says.

I always write it from top to bottom.  Just like an "S".  I mean.. it is an "S".. for sum.  Writing from bottom to top feels like writing backwards.

Yeah, bottom to top would be like, S for subtraction.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:05:48 pm by SirPeebles »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: April 22, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:33 pm »

This is basically me too

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: April 22, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »

qwertyiupo
adsfhgjlk
xzbcvmn

Some of my friends use Dvorak without rearranging the keys  Luckily, if I never need to type on their keyboards, I know how to switch it back to qwerty. 
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.