Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162847 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2000 on: March 02, 2014, 12:02:02 am »

Reply 2000!

I haven't watched any of the string series videos, but I took modern physics last year in college (being a mechanical engineer, not necessary) and I walked out of every day with my mind blown...  It was great

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:49 am »

Reply 2000!

I haven't watched any of the string series videos, but I took modern physics last year in college (being a mechanical engineer, not necessary) and I walked out of every day with my mind blown...  It was great

Argh, stop taunting me.  I'm wanting to major in something like nuclear physics in college but I'm still in high school...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:20 am »

Your mind being blown is a good thing.  It is a sense of awe.

If you are interested in modern physics, you should sign up for this worldscienceu course that Brian Greene is teaching online.  It is on special relativity.  It should be starting soon.  There are two options, one without math and one with math.  Einstein's theory of special relativity is from 1905, and was really the beginning of modern physics.  The math behind it is actually surprisingly simple -- as opposed to general relativity or quantum mechanics which require lots of calculus and differential equations -- but you have to replace some of the most fundamental and common sense notions you have about the world, which is really disorienting.

http://welcome.worldscienceu.com/page/s/splash

Well you *do* need a signature...

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 02, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »

Yeah, we learned a lot about that stuff in my modern physics class.  The math really wasn't that bad, but once we got to wave theory and the shroedinger equation... That's when it started getting insane and confusing for me.  I understood the theory, but some of the math was a little out there.  Still, very very cool stuff.  My professor was a really awesome guy.  He worked at fermi lab and helped discover the top quark (I think it was top... not really sure...) and it was so great just to go and listen to him talk.  We talked a little bit about quantum, and that was also insane.  Really cool, but getting into any of the math was crazy.  Didn't do great in the class, but I don't care.  The lectures were so great.

sudgy:  Take physics in high school.  If your class is anything like mine, your teacher will still go over some of the special relativity things and touch on some more modern physics.  You'll walk away mind blown sometimes :)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 02, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »

Probaby top.  It was discovered in the 90s; all the other quarks were found by the mid 70s or so I think.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 02, 2014, 03:13:28 pm »

sudgy:  Take physics in high school.  If your class is anything like mine, your teacher will still go over some of the special relativity things and touch on some more modern physics.  You'll walk away mind blown sometimes :)

I'm taking physics and advanced physics in high school already :)  I understand the concepts of special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics, but I just don't know the math behind it.  I think in the advanced physics course I saw some questions regarding special relativity (like the math), so that should be nice.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 02, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »

I'm taking physics and advanced physics in high school already :)  I understand the concepts of special and general relativity, and quantum mechanics, but I just don't know the math behind it.  I think in the advanced physics course I saw some questions regarding special relativity (like the math), so that should be nice.
The maths in special relativity corresponds roughly to high school algebra, so you should be able to follow the derivations for it without too much effort. A lot of the maths in quantum mechanics (at least up to around Schrodinger's equation or so) needs 1st-2nd year university calculus, but it's worth trying to follow along. General relativity uses differential geometry, which in university I did in 3rd and Honours (4th) year ... and still don't think I followed most of it. Which shouldn't be considered a discouragement, but don't be surprised if you have no idea what's going on, and if you do wind up studying it formally cross your fingers and hope you have a good lecturer.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 02, 2014, 07:35:23 pm »
+7

Reply 2000!

It will be a long, long time before we have 2000! replies in this thread.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:01 pm »

Though at the rate we're currently going, it will eventually happen.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 02, 2014, 07:48:18 pm »

I doubt it. This thread has existed for 15 months and reached 2008 replies. At that rate, it'd take around 105722 times the current age of the universe to reach 2000! replies. And well that's not impossible, but I kinda have my doubts.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:38 pm »

Not likely.  Factorials are bigger than you think.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2000!

Every single human on the planet generating one post per femtosecond from now until the heat death of the universe doesn't even make the start of a dent in 10^5735.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:44 pm »

Not likely.  Factorials are bigger than you think.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2000!

Every single human on the planet generating one post per femtosecond from now until the heat death of the universe doesn't even make the start of a dent in 10^5735.

To put that in another (perhaps more tangible) perspective, the total matter in the universe is somewhere between 10^78 to 10^84 equivalent of hydrogen atoms.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: March 02, 2014, 07:57:50 pm »
+4

he said "at the rate we're currently going" which assumes that despite the end of the universe and the extinction of all life or anything else that could theoretically impede the thread's progress, it will continue at the same rate.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: March 02, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
+1

Dammit.

Technicalities - 1
Tables & Kirian - 0.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:08 pm »
+4

I tried to work out 2000! on a calculator and got an error message.  I conclude that no numbers are that big.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:48 pm »

I tried to work out 2000! on a calculator and got an error message.  I conclude that no numbers are that big.

My calculator returned "A Suffusion of Yellow."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:51 pm »

I request assistance.  Over in the puzzles forum, Nik posted a riddle.  The answer was immediately obvious to me, but nobody else seems to understand it.  I repeatedly tried to explain what is completely intuitive to me but I'm failing.  Am I just crazy? 

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:36 pm »

Well, I used Stirling's formula, so I didn't get the exact answer.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:24 pm »
+1

I request assistance.  Over in the puzzles forum, Nik posted a riddle.  The answer was immediately obvious to me, but nobody else seems to understand it.  I repeatedly tried to explain what is completely intuitive to me but I'm failing.  Am I just crazy? 
Well, I agree with you, but don't have any extra explanations to add. So I just +1ed all your posts instead.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: March 02, 2014, 08:48:58 pm »

I tend to agree more with the others.  I think we just have different conceptions of what Throne Room does.  I think we both agree that it plays another action in your hand.  But then you appear to think of the Throne Room as fishing out a second virtual copy of the action to play.  I instead think of the Throne Room itself as mimicking or morphing into a second copy of the action.  Of course, neither of these are accurate.  It simply plays that single card from your hand twice.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »

Well, I used Stirling's formula, so I didn't get the exact answer.

As I linked, that's what Wolfram Alpha is for.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: March 02, 2014, 09:00:23 pm »

I tend to agree more with the others.  I think we just have different conceptions of what Throne Room does.  I think we both agree that it plays another action in your hand.  But then you appear to think of the Throne Room as fishing out a second virtual copy of the action to play.  I instead think of the Throne Room itself as mimicking or morphing into a second copy of the action.  Of course, neither of these are accurate.  It simply plays that single card from your hand twice.

You can think of it morphing into a second copy of the other action as well.  But in that way of thinking about it, you still get a phantom +1 action.  It's the same kind of phantom +1 action that you get from Cultist (which only works for another Cultist) or Herald (which only works for an action card on top of your deck).

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: March 02, 2014, 09:06:26 pm »

You can think of it morphing into a second copy of the other action as well.  But in that way of thinking about it, you still get a phantom +1 action.  It's the same kind of phantom +1 action that you get from Cultist (which only works for another Cultist) or Herald (which only works for an action card on top of your deck).

I don't think it's that we disagree with you, at least not me. It's more that the riddle is ambiguous and more than one solution fits the riddle.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »

he said "at the rate we're currently going" which assumes that despite the end of the universe and the extinction of all life or anything else that could theoretically impede the thread's progress, it will continue at the same rate.
I chose my wording carefully :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2024 on: March 02, 2014, 09:14:13 pm »

The interesting thing is that thinking of Cultist's phantom +1 action as a +1 action is pretty much never useful, while thinking of Throne Room's phantom +1 action as a +1 action is useful whenever you're Throning another Throne and thinking of Herald's phantom +1 action as a +1 action is useful pretty much always.

And yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you either, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the logic. I just think that there isn't a particular reason to ever use that logic, and that you can use that logic to justify any Action card as an answer for the puzzle, not just Throne Room (well, at least for the +1 card, +1 action part; you still need to come up with a reason why the Action card is also not an Action card).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:23:28 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 21 queries.