Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162668 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #875 on: October 06, 2013, 11:15:05 pm »
+5

Well you *do* need a signature...

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 06, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »

I am normally pretty strong with grammar rules, but writing the following threw me for a loop, and I still have no idea if it's correct:

"Quick to undermine others' confidence in their reads"

Obviously it's a fragment, but if it were part of a sentence ("He was quick to undermine others' confidence in their reads."), would it be correct/read properly?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »

I am normally pretty strong with grammar rules, but writing the following threw me for a loop, and I still have no idea if it's correct:

Obviously it's a fragment, but if it were part of a sentence ("He was quick to undermine others' confidence in their reads."), would it be correct/read properly?

I don't understand what it is trying to say.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 06, 2013, 11:31:57 pm »

I don't understand what it is trying to say.

It's from a mafia game, I always forget that the terminology is somewhat specific! Replace "reads" with "opinions."

I would also say you could replace "others'" with something but that's part of the crux of my confusion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 07, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

I think it's correct, but it does sound a bit weird.  You can easily rewrite it though:

"He was quick to undermine the confidence that others had in their reads."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 07, 2013, 10:23:49 am »

I baked my first lasagna last night. I feel pretty proud. I even did it from scratch. Well, mostly scratch. I had canned marinara sauce, and it's not like I made the cheese myself, but I did blend the cheeses together, and I seasoned the meat sauce using ground beef instead of Italian sausage.

Man, I knew that lasagna was a lot of work, but now I know firsthand. And it was expensive, but this batch will last us at least three meals. 

I'm just grateful for this little food processor. I would have been hours chopping up the garlic, onion, oregano, basil, and parsley. !
A man has no signature

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:06 am »

Oh man, now I want to make lasagna so badly.  I really need to get myself a food processor.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 07, 2013, 10:31:47 am »

What's a food processor?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:19 am »

It's like a blender with a flat bottom and blades allegedly better at mincing ingredients but in reality are just better at forming and rolling balls of the ingredients along the sides of the container.  Rarely is a food processor worth the cleanup time to actually use.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:24 am »

I baked my first lasagna last night. I feel pretty proud. I even did it from scratch. Well, mostly scratch. I had canned marinara sauce, and it's not like I made the cheese myself, but I did blend the cheeses together, and I seasoned the meat sauce using ground beef instead of Italian sausage.

Man, I knew that lasagna was a lot of work, but now I know firsthand. And it was expensive, but this batch will last us at least three meals. 

I'm just grateful for this little food processor. I would have been hours chopping up the garlic, onion, oregano, basil, and parsley. !

Did you make the pasta? I have always wanted to make my own pasta.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 07, 2013, 10:50:04 am »
+2

I made pasta once, for ravioli. I have never since raised my eyebrows at nor complained about the prices of ravioli in restaurants.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:02 am »
+2

It's like a blender with a flat bottom and blades allegedly better at mincing ingredients but in reality are just better at forming and rolling balls of the ingredients along the sides of the container.  Rarely is a food processor worth the cleanup time to actually use.

You need to buy a better food processor.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:05 am »

If it needs excessive cleaning, it's probably not my thing. Cleaning the cutting board often feels overwhelming to me.

I've made pasta once. It was a loooot of work. Like, way too much work for me to ever want to do it again.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:13 am »

You need to buy a better food processor.

I stopped trying to do that after 3 attempts. Knives are a better investment. Also, I have one of these to make quick work of mincing veggies.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:39 am »

We use lasagne with the "e" in the UK: Wiktionary tells me that in Italian it's the plural.  Apparently "lasagna" comes from the Latin lasanum "cooking pot".  I'm not sure I know a single food etymology that doesn't come from "cooking pot".

In Wales road signs have both English and Welsh place names.  A few years back a sign was produced that read, in Welsh, "I am out of the office until the end of August, please send all work for translation to ...".  This is the modern version of "Beware of the Bull" farm, when the early surveyors wrote down whatever they found painted on a board at the end of the track leading up to the farmhouse.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:08 pm »

Alas, I did not. The pasta was store-bought. I had an uncomfortable moment where I set the pasta to boil and then realized that I forgot the marinara. So, the pasta just sat there after boiling. Fortunately, I did boil it with some oil in there, so the noodles did not stick together nearly as badly, but after sitting there for about an hour, it was definitely not ideal. I still made it work, and I had more pasta than I needed, so I was able to fill in any gaps when noodles got destroyed.
A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 07, 2013, 12:57:39 pm »

Alas, I did not. The pasta was store-bought. I had an uncomfortable moment where I set the pasta to boil and then realized that I forgot the marinara. So, the pasta just sat there after boiling. Fortunately, I did boil it with some oil in there, so the noodles did not stick together nearly as badly, but after sitting there for about an hour, it was definitely not ideal. I still made it work, and I had more pasta than I needed, so I was able to fill in any gaps when noodles got destroyed.

You put noodles in your lasagne?  :o

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:42 pm »

You put noodles in your lasagne?  :o

Just the lasagna noodles. Big flat things with crimped edges. I had to separate them after sitting there for so long to lay them out. A few got torn in the process, but I was able to fill the gap with portions.
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 07, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »

Yo, I found this game Manufactoria. Have you guys seen this?

http://www.kongregate.com/games/PleasingFungus/manufactoria

It's basically Turing Machines: The Game. Kind of maddening, but in a good sort of way, and I liked it so much I played through the whole thing. I thought that the algorithmically-minded crowd around here might appreciate it.
I got a question about this.  I'm working on my programs, cool and good.  I succeed from time to time.  When I fail, the program gives me a clear indication of precisely the type of string I'm judging incorrectly.  However...when I succeed, the program shows me a single bot moving around, but gives like 3 or more ticker-tapes that I'm 'reading'.  It seems to only follow the first.  What the hell are the second/third guys about?  What is the Simon Says symbol that jumps from tape to tape?
Yup, longer tapes are split into multiple lines.  No idea how I didn't see that before.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:13 pm »

I've made my own pasta before.  It was fun to try, but it isn't worth doing regularly.  Lasagna noodles would be much easier though, since you just need large flat sheets.

I wouldn't use the food processor for the vegetable, just for making cheese.  I would soak cashews over night, then blend them with spices to make a veggie ricotta.  If I were feeling ambitious I would blend in some raw sauerkraut and allow it to ferment a few days.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »

Is pasta called noodles in America or am I being really dumb here? Lasagne is made with pasta, right? Like... it's named after the pasta it's made from?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 07, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »
+4

All noodles used in an Italian context are called pasta. Linguine, Penne, Rigatoni, Spaghetti etc. noodles are all considered pasta.
Asiatic or otherwise decidedly not-Italian noodles are simply called noodles and are not pasta. Hokkien, Pho, Soba, Lo Mein, etc. are noodles that would not be referred to as pasta.

That is, all pasta uses noodles but not all noodles are found in pasta.

That is your American lesson for today.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 07, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
+2

I wouldn't use the food processor for the vegetable, just for making cheese.  I would soak cashews over night, then blend them with spices to make a veggie ricotta.  If I were feeling ambitious I would blend in some raw sauerkraut and allow it to ferment a few days.

I used our little food processor for the basil, oregano, parsley, onion, and garlic. I did have to use a rubber spatula to fully get those out of the bowl, but it wasn't a big deal. I used beaters for the cheese sauce, which also required a rubber spatula but only because I hate leaving stuff on the beaters. I used a mortar and pestle for the fennel seeds. That's more difficult than I thought it would be.

Luckily, I learned my valuable lesson before instead of after. The recipe called for four cloves of garlic. I bought four bulbs from the store. As I took one apart, I'm thinking, "Man, four is a lot. Hey, I wonder if these little chunks are technically cloves." A quick internet search later, and I quickly put the other three bulbs away. I even had to put away a few cloves. That would have been one surprising lesson if I didn't look that up.
A man has no signature

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 07, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »
+3

Oh man. I love garlic, but the distinction between a clove and a bulb is important.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 07, 2013, 04:02:30 pm »
+3

I made the bulb/clove mistake way back when. The directions called for 1 clove and I used 1 bulb. That was the most garlic intense spinach-cheese dip EVER. I did eat it, though, because I am a garlic fiend.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.