Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162542 times)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:48 am »

What do you actually have to do to get a driving license in the US of A? Over here you have to get a provisional license when you are 17, then take 1 to 1 lessons (in a car) with an instructor. You have to pass a "theory test" which is basically in an exam room with questions like "what does this road sign mean" and also has a video part where you have to identify potential hazards as early as possible. Once you pass your theory test you are permitted to take a "practical test" within 2 years, in which you go out in a car with an examiner. They tell you where to go and you do it, and they mark you (quite strictly) on it. You fail for committing 14 "minor offenses" (like not checking your mirrors enough) or even a single "major offense" (speeding, pulling out without looking, etc.)

Is it similar over there? The way you're all talking about a "Driver's Ed class" makes it sound like you just go to school and get taught some stuff and then all of a sudden you can drive.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:03:20 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2013, 03:27:43 am »

Is it similar over there? The way you're all talking about a "Driver's Ed class" makes it sound like you just go to school and get taught some stuff and then all of a sudden you can drive.

Yeah, that's basically it.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 26, 2013, 03:41:42 am »

Wow. Letting 16 year olds loose on the road with 0 experience is the worst thing I could possibly think of.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2013, 03:53:40 am »

I don't know about other states of the USA, but in California, here's how it goes.

At 15.5 years old, you are allowed to take the written test. I believe it's not required to take a course, but I'm not sure. If you pass the written test, you get a permit, which lasts for a year. That permit lets you drive as long as you have a parent in the car with you. After you have your permit for a minimum of 6 months, you are eligible to take the driving test. It's about as strict as Thisisnotasmile says (you're allowed a few minor offenses, but 1 major offense is auto fail.) If you pass that, then you get your license. (This is why the permit is allowed at 15 and a half; it means you can get a full license right when you turn 16.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2013, 04:03:44 am »
+1

I'm not sure Vermillion is actually 12, even though he seems a tad immature.
Eh, yeah. He is. After watching one of his Dominion Videos, he could pass as a 12 year old. I didn't see him on there, but brokoli is 17.

I don't know about other states of the USA, but in California, here's how it goes.

At 15.5 years old, you are allowed to take the written test. I believe it's not required to take a course, but I'm not sure. If you pass the written test, you get a permit, which lasts for a year. That permit lets you drive as long as you have a parent in the car with you. After you have your permit for a minimum of 6 months, you are eligible to take the driving test. It's about as strict as Thisisnotasmile says (you're allowed a few minor offenses, but 1 major offense is auto fail.) If you pass that, then you get your license. (This is why the permit is allowed at 15 and a half; it means you can get a full license right when you turn 16.)
This sounds a lot like how it is in Idaho. Its certainly not as strict as European driving tests, but it's not like you can just watch "Cars", fill out a bubble sheet, and they'll hand you your license.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:19:23 am by Archetype »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2013, 07:57:29 am »

Every state has their own rules. The ones I am aware of, generally you can get a full license at 16, but have to have had some experience with a 'permit' for some period of time before (which is first available sometime between 14 and 16). The permit thing is actually a driver's license, mind you, but it has a restriction on it that says that whoever it is can't drive without a front-seat passenger of at least age X with Y years of driving experience (doesn't necessarily have to be a parent). And... yeah, after they get their permit, they can just drive, as long as they have the supervision. I think after 18 in most places you can just go get a license, no permit, no time, whatever. Also, you can get things younger in 'hardship' cases where people need a license to get an income to support their family. Don't know what's involved with that. Some places I think you have to take a class, but in some places you can be parent-taught, which just means your parents sign a piece of paper saying that they've taught you - it's not that uncommon that they really don't.......

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:40 am »

It's been 25 years since I first got my license (in Missouri).

What happened for me is that I applied for a learner's permit, which allowed me to drive during the day only if a licensed driver was in the passenger seat. I then applied for my license. I had a vision test, which also tested my knowledge my signs. I had a written test with some relevant questions but also questions that drivers promptly forget, like what is the closest distance to an oncoming car before you have to turn down your high beams. Then I had a driving test, which meant an instructor was checking things off a list. It was on a 100-point scale. I think minimum passing at the time was 70%. I barely got above that on my first time. It was actually fairly common for kids to take the driving test multiple times.

I did take Driver's Ed, which didn't really help me all that much. It did, however, provide a discount for my automobile insurance.
A man has no signature

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2013, 09:17:16 am »

Yay South Dakota!  I got a Learner's Permit back when I was 14, which involves all that complicated "person of reasonable age in passenger seat" stuff.  Then 90 days later, a Restricted License, which basically allows one to drive without supervision and all, but with some sort of curfew attached.  Never had to take driver's Ed either, just pass a written exam.  Neato.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2013, 11:54:06 am »

In Oregon, you take a written test at at least 15, get a permit, and when you are 16, have had your permit for at least half a year, an have 100 hours of driving experience (or 50 if you took Driver's Ed), you can take another written test and a driving test and then you have your license.  At younger ages, you can only drive family, six months later three other passengers, six months later anybody.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2013, 11:55:38 am »

In Oregon, you take a written test at at least 15, get a permit, and when you are 16, have had your permit for at least half a year, an have 100 hours of driving experience (or 50 if you took Driver's Ed), you can take another written test and a driving test and then you have your license.  At younger ages, you can only drive family, six months later three other passengers, six months later anybody.

Woah woah are you in Oregon? (I am in Oregon even though I've never filled in my spot in the member's map)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 26, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »

Woah woah are you in Oregon? (I am in Oregon even though I've never filled in my spot in the member's map)

Haha, I haven't filled in my spot either...  Yeah, I'm in Oregon.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 26, 2013, 12:35:17 pm »

Haha, I haven't filled in my spot either...  Yeah, I'm in Oregon.

Cool!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »

What do you actually have to do to get a driving license in the US of A? Over here you have to get a provisional license when you are 17, then take 1 to 1 lessons (in a car) with an instructor. You have to pass a "theory test" which is basically in an exam room with questions like "what does this road sign mean" and also has a video part where you have to identify potential hazards as early as possible. Once you pass your theory test you are permitted to take a "practical test" within 2 years, in which you go out in a car with an examiner. They tell you where to go and you do it, and they mark you (quite strictly) on it. You fail for committing 14 "minor offenses" (like not checking your mirrors enough) or even a single "major offense" (speeding, pulling out without looking, etc.)

What you describe is very similar to what Ohio does.  The Driver Ed course is a bonus requirement for those under 18, and it includes the one on one instruction.  At 18, though, you don't have to do anything but pass the tests.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:12 pm »

In Maryland, you can get a permit at 15.75 after taking a written test; you can get a provisional license at 16.67 if you pass a written test and a driving test, have taken 30 hours of Driver's Ed, have 60 hours of driving with your parents or whoever, and 6 hours of driving with a certified instructor. After 151 days with your provisional license, you may drive passengers who are under 18. You may get a full license at 18, as long as you haven't received a ticket or something.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »
+2

In Maryland, you can get a permit at 15.75 after taking a written test; you can get a provisional license at 16.67 if you pass a written test and a driving test, have taken 30 hours of Driver's Ed, have 60 hours of driving with your parents or whoever, and 6 hours of driving with a certified instructor. After 151 days with your provisional license, you may drive passengers who are under 18. You may get a full license at 18, as long as you haven't received a ticket or something.

If you can remember all that I think you should be allowed to drive.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:49 pm »
+2

Wow. Letting 16 year olds loose on the road with 0 experience is the worst thing I could possibly think of.

Worse than letting 14 year olds loose on the road with 0 experience?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 26, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
+1

What you describe is very similar to what Ohio does.  The Driver Ed course is a bonus requirement for those under 18, and it includes the one on one instruction.  At 18, though, you don't have to do anything but pass the tests.

First, we are the same person in the age thread.  Now, an Ohio connection?  Who ARE you?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 26, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »
+2

Worse than letting 14 year olds loose on the road with 0 experience?

I get the sense Shraeye was closer to 41 when he was 14.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:04 pm »
+1

First, we are the same person in the age thread.  Now, an Ohio connection?  Who ARE you?
Your long lost twin brother

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 26, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »
+1

Point of information: The expression "I'm 12 years old and what is this?" or similar forms, generally missing punctuation, is a meme, and should absolutely not be taken as identification of someone's age. Especially given, as far as I know regarding US laws, the admins would be obliged to ban him if they genuinely believed him to be under 13 due to some child protection laws.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2013, 12:34:11 am »

Tyler Durden?
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2013, 12:38:30 am »

I'm.... right behind you!

----

Where in OH are you?  I'm in Toledo.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:29 am »

Getting a Driver's License in Delaware if you're under 18 is laughably easy, and more easy that it was in most states. I didn't even have to take a written exam at any point -- in our schools, we have a driver's ed class for 1/4 of the year Sophomore year, and as long as we pass the class, we get a "blue slip", which grants us our permit at the DMV. There's no documentation of us passing any written test, basically all we have is some teachers' word that we're okay to drive (not that my teacher was bad or would lie about it, but I'm sure some do...almost no one fails drivers' ed). My friends from other states are always shocked to know that at no point did I have to take an exam to get my license.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 27, 2013, 01:13:51 am »

I got my license in Florida to circumvent having to take a driving course here in California. Shh don't tell anyone.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:39 am »

I'm.... right behind you!

----

Where in OH are you?  I'm in Toledo.

HS in Portsmouth, college in Granville (outside of Columbus).  I've moved away, though.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 21 queries.