Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1162567 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »

Eating tables is nothing to be ashamed about, i am partial to a bit of carpet munching myself

I guess off-color jokes count as Random Stuff.

I hate when I've just finished updating the Through the Ages spreadsheets and feel like I can Excel pretty hard but then I come here and theory and Kuildeous Excel harder than I can and I feel like I can't Excel very hard after all :(

Somehow I'd expect a guy named Tables to be pretty good at Excel.

Also, Bruce Willis is coming out with another Die Hard movie.  He's 65.  If they decide to do yet another one, I think he'll spend most of the movie at a computer... they should totally call it Excel Hard.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »
+3

I hate when I've just finished updating the Through the Ages spreadsheets and feel like I can Excel pretty hard but then I come here and theory and Kuildeous Excel harder than I can and I feel like I can't Excel very hard after all :(

I was a total Excel noob until fairly recently.  Then, I wanted to do X, and it seemed like the only way to do X was some really stupid laborious way.  Turns out there is a function that will do X easily and efficiently.  Repeat.

Excel only needs to be learned through necessity.  If you don't need VLOOKUP, you don't need to know it exists.  The only quality you need is tremendous laziness, in that you would rather Google a problem than brute-force a dumb solution.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2013, 06:34:44 pm »

This is sooo true.
Excel is really powerful in the right hands.

There are people at work that think they are masters of excel because they can put in SUM and COUNT fucnctions, because they dont know about the other stuff they don't realise they only know a little!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2013, 08:31:04 pm »

This is always the informative question for me: "What's a pivot table?"
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:03 pm »

This is always the informative question for me: "What's a pivot table?"

The correct answer is "Everything good and right with the world."

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:35 am »

THis is so true. If it doesn't fit into a pivot table somewhere, I don't want to know

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 07:39:14 am »

I was a total Excel noob until fairly recently.  Then, I wanted to do X, and it seemed like the only way to do X was some really stupid laborious way.  Turns out there is a function that will do X easily and efficiently.  Repeat.

Excel only needs to be learned through necessity.  If you don't need VLOOKUP, you don't need to know it exists.  The only quality you need is tremendous laziness, in that you would rather Google a problem than brute-force a dumb solution.

Incidentally, I do know VLOOKUP, and I've actually used HLOOKUP on occasion. SUMIF is totally new to me mind you.
And pivot tables. I know roughly how to do them, could probably work it out again given a few minutes.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:11 pm »

Incidentally, I do know VLOOKUP, and I've actually used HLOOKUP on occasion. SUMIF is totally new to me mind you.
And pivot tables. I know roughly how to do them, could probably work it out again given a few minutes.

Then you are hardly a noob :)

SUMIF is easy and does exactly what you'd think it'd do.  It came in in 2007 along with IFERROR, two great functions.

I think Above-Competent would be mastery of pivot tables, FREQUENCY(), one-way/two-way data tables, VLOOKUP/HLOOKUP, and dynamic named ranges.  But like I said, if you don't need to use those (for instance I haven't learned how to use one-way data tables because I haven't needed to), then you don't need to learn them.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 03:51:20 pm »

Ah, IFERROR's been useful in setting up stuff in a few games.
FREQUENCY() sounds pretty useful. I have no idea what it does, but it's the kind of name that makes me go 'ooh'
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2013, 02:41:39 pm »
+1

I love IFERROR. Cleans up presentation like nobody’s business.

A useful way to learn the coolest Excel functions at the time that you need to know them is to go ask at http://www.experts-exchange.com/. There are some awe-inspiring experts there that can turn your spreadsheet into a three-ring circus.

Although, most of the time, you should be able to get away with Googling it.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 02:43:05 pm »
+1

I sometimes make up a card shuffler by assigning a random number to each card and then use RANK and VLOOKUP to pull out the first N cards.

I never told anyone this before, but I know this community won’t judge.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2013, 03:49:03 pm »
+1

A useful way to learn the coolest Excel functions at the time that you need to know them is to go ask at http://www.experts-exchange.com/. There are some awe-inspiring experts there that can turn your spreadsheet into a three-ring circus.

Ah, ExpertsExchange.  Former owners of the funniest unintentionally risque domain name since the Mole Station Nursery.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

i used to be an admin for forums4games.net, till one day the owner decided he needed a shorter snappier name...so shortened it to F4G.net....true story!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2013, 04:08:44 pm »

Man I just learned about SUMIF a few months ago... I was just starting to work on this task that would have required a huge amount of confusing macros and other manual calculations... and then I discovered SUMIF... turned a multi-day task into an hour.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:16 pm »

Ah, ExpertsExchange.  Former owners of the funniest unintentionally risque domain name since the Mole Station Nursery.

I still think Powergen Italia (a battery company, now defunct) is better.

(Then there's Pen Island, which is intentional, and has brilliant writing.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2013, 03:38:37 pm »

Come on the Seahawks!!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2013, 04:34:21 pm »

Possibly less funny, but certainly a lot more alarming, is the now defunct (I think) Child's Express.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »

Every time I see liopoil post something, I think "Huh. Now we have two palindrome bards."
Although I guess liopoil might not be a bard.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »
+1

Every time I see liopoil post something, I think "Huh. Now we have two palindrome bards."
Although I guess liopoil might not be a bard.

Is it I? It IS I!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »

Speaking of which, why is your name Drab Emordnilap? It's not a palindrome in itself so writing it backwards doesn't make a huge lot of sense to me...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:20 pm »

Well, you have to read the whole thing, including the title.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:04 pm »

Speaking of which, why is your name Drab Emordnilap? It's not a palindrome in itself so writing it backwards doesn't make a huge lot of sense to me...

The palindrome of Bolton would be Notlob. It doesn't work!
A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2013, 05:37:42 am »
+1

How long until "loose" is officially redefined to include "verb - to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain"? It seems a huge majority of the English speaking population of the world already use it for this.

I mean, I can kind of understand if people create a new word that is shorter than the original out of laziness/character limits but... Jesus... There is absolutely no excuse for this bastardisation of our language.

[/rage]

I fully expect to have made spelling/grammatical errors in this post and for you guys to point them out now.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:46:16 am by Thisisnotasmile »

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:27 am »

My other language pet peeve is "I could care less".

EXCUSE ME YOU JUST SAID THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU WANTED TO SAY!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:55 am »

Hey, anyone like wrestling? Like WWE. Also, Tables, why is your name Tables? From where was that inspired?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.