Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1166529 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #4925 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:25 am »
+1

Relevant:

This is the first time I watch part of a George Carlin routine. Is he supposed to be funny? This was pure demagogue's show. There's plenty of silly things in golf to make a stand-up comedy around it, no need to stay at the easy "rich people are silly" level.

Maybe that's a pet peeve of mine. I like the stand-up comedy format, and I pay to go see it. Please don't give me populist speeches on politics/social issues because you like the applause you get out of it; I could get that for free on TV if I wanted to, thanks.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »
+2

It's not a sport if you don't use the word "training" and not "practicing" when you're trying to get better at it.
Too... Many... Negatives... Does... Not... Compute...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: August 14, 2014, 12:13:30 pm »

Relevant:

This is the first time I watch part of a George Carlin routine. Is he supposed to be funny? This was pure demagogue's show. There's plenty of silly things in golf to make a stand-up comedy around it, no need to stay at the easy "rich people are silly" level.

Maybe that's a pet peeve of mine. I like the stand-up comedy format, and I pay to go see it. Please don't give me populist speeches on politics/social issues because you like the applause you get out of it; I could get that for free on TV if I wanted to, thanks.

Carlin does a bunch of that kind of stuff, but its not all like that. His airplane stuff is classic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: August 14, 2014, 12:18:21 pm »

Relevant:

I think there's more going on there.. for Carlin it's a lot about the perfomance and delivery.  I find him funny even if I the jokes don't resonate with me at some level.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: August 14, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »

I actually wanted to link the video where he argues there are only three sports, but I couldn't find it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »

That's probably a bad Carlin clip to start with then.  He became much more political later in his life, and it crept into his routines.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: August 14, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »
+5

It's not a sport if you don't use the word "training" and not "practicing" when you're trying to get better at it.

Ahh, the noble sport of Potty.  Played worldwide, and almost every child plays it at some point in their lives.  Most are just raring to go, though it takes a while before you get good at it.  If only the Olympics would recognize this time honoured tradition.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:33:03 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: August 14, 2014, 06:34:37 pm »

Ahh, the noble sport of Potty.  Played worldwide, and almost every child plays it at some point in their lives.  Most are just raring to go, though it takes a while before you get good at it.  If only the Olympics would recognize this time honoured tradition.

I train every day, yet I'm still not at the Olympic level.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4933 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:09 pm »
+8

Somehow this is relevant: Olympic divers photoshopped onto toilets

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »

that's signature stuff right there.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: August 14, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's a language thing.  Baseball/football/soccer/etc. sports practice in the United States, not train.  It's training in the UK and Australia, though, for the same sports.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: August 14, 2014, 08:00:54 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure that's a language thing.  Baseball/football/soccer/etc. sports practice in the United States, not train.  It's training in the UK and Australia, though, for the same sports.

This. That seems like a pretty poor definition to me.

Also, I really don't think it's productive to debate the classification of certain activities as sports or not. Why does it really matter whether we call it a sport? The only consistent consequence I see to these debates is that people who participate in or enjoy watching the sport/not sport under discussion get offended to varying degrees. I got in lots of these arguments both when I ran and when I rowed before eventually realizing that they weren't really getting anyone anywhere and I didn't care that much what the dissenters thought.

I'm fine saying that golf is a sport. Whatever, we can classify it as that. Like a number of other sports, I don't find it particularly interesting to watch or play, but that doesn't mean I need to challenge its categorization.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: August 14, 2014, 08:54:45 pm »
+4

I have 2 mutual friends (on FB) with one of this years Fields Medal winners.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »
+1

Also, I really don't think it's productive to debate the classification of certain activities as sports or not. Why does it really matter whether we call it a sport? The only consistent consequence I see to these debates is that people who participate in or enjoy watching the sport/not sport under discussion get offended to varying degrees. I got in lots of these arguments both when I ran and when I rowed before eventually realizing that they weren't really getting anyone anywhere and I didn't care that much what the dissenters thought.

I'm fine saying that golf is a sport. Whatever, we can classify it as that. Like a number of other sports, I don't find it particularly interesting to watch or play, but that doesn't mean I need to challenge its categorization.

Let me get this straight, you were running and rowing and still got nowhere?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4939 on: August 14, 2014, 09:37:36 pm »

Let me get this straight, you were running and rowing and still got nowhere?

It's not easy to row while you're running.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »

10 more posts until 5000
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: August 14, 2014, 09:43:18 pm »

well, I lied now that I think about it.  8 more posts until post 5000, 9 until reply 5000
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: August 14, 2014, 10:05:32 pm »

well, I lied now that I think about it.  8 more posts until post 5000, 9 until reply 5000

No, 58 or 59.

EDIT: Well, now 57 or 58.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:51 pm »
+1

If we keep posting about how far it is until 5000, we'll get there soon enough!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:01 pm »
+1

If we keep posting about how far it is until 5000, we'll get there soon enough!

Great.  f.DS is now 4chan.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:39 pm »

Does that mean you have an Erdos number?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:47 pm »

In other golf-related news:  Last weekend, I played and shot my worst round of this year (109).  Which is really bad for me.  Today, I played again and going into the 18th hole I needed a double bogey to break 90.  (Context: I've only broken 90 twice before in my life, so it was a pretty good round)  What do I do?  Leave my double bogey putt 2 inches short and make a triple.  Disappointing and frustrating way to end the round, but still very happy with it. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: August 14, 2014, 11:53:47 pm »

Hooray sports!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: August 15, 2014, 12:03:03 am »

Oh yeah, you could say I have a Bacon number of three, if you count friends as a way to get started.  Someone I know knew Tom Hanks as a kid.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:37 am »

Oh yeah, you could say I have a Bacon number of three, if you count friends as a way to get started.  Someone I know knew Tom Hanks as a kid.

TIL I have a Bacon number of four. (If people you know on the internet count)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 201  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.