Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Online Survivor?  (Read 11871 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Online Survivor?
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »

Well first of all, how many people here watch Survivor? I do, and got thinking: This would be interesting as an online game. But could it work? I don't know.

It would be fairly easy to replicate everything about the game except the physical challenges, stranded on an island, and hunger pains. Everything else should be easy to model.

Here's what I'm envisioning how they game would work: (rough outline)

16 players, divided into 2 teams of 8 people each. Each team (called 'tribe' in Survivor) is given a QT that only members of the team have access to (and spectators). All members of the QT can post freely in it, and will need to converse with one another to figure out challenges, etc.

Each 'game day' is broken up into 5 phases:

Morning Chat Session:
Players can talk as much as they want in-thread OR they can privately communicate with other players.
Challenge: Since physical challenges are impossible to do online, a mental challenge will be posted in both the threads for the members to solve. First tribe to solve it, does not have to kick a member of their team off. Private Communication is shut off in this phase.
Afternoon Chat Session: Players can, once again, talk freely in thread or privately communicate with other players to make plans.
Tribal Council: The members who lost the challenge will visit 'Tribal Council'. Private Communication will be shut off. Players are required to speak in-thread about opinions for a little bit. Then I will 'lock the thread' and voting will commence. The player with the most votes is out of the game. Winning team will skip this phase and go directly to night.
Night: All forms of communication are shutoff. I'll be doing some bookkeeping stuff/talk with co-mods.

Cycle will continue until there are 8 players left between the 2 groups. Then the 2 groups will merge to one central thread. Same cycle as above, except with the following tweaks:
-Only a single person can win Challenges. No votes can be put on them.
-Tribal Council is required. Someone will be out each game. This player will NOT be out of the game though. They'll be put in the 'Jury' QT where they can talk with fellow members who've died during the 8 player merge. These players will decide the winner.

Cycle with the tweaks will continue until there are 3 players left. Then, we decide the winner.

-Active players post 1 last time, anything they want to say to the Jury in-thread. This is sent to the mod first, and then they post each player's final words in succession.
-Jury members then vote for who they want to win the game. Whoever gets the most votes, wins the game!

And then the game's over.

Some Mechanics in detail:

Private Communication:
Players can communicate with other players in their tribe outside the thread by PMing them. They must send PMs to both that player, and the mod (for both bookkeeping and lol moments post-game). Players can talk about whatever they want, but can only talk after during chat sessions.

Voting:
Votes will be sent privately to the mod. Once all votes are collected, they will be posted in-thread (not who voted for who, just the total votes). Whoever has the most votes is out of the game (pre-Jury) or wins (post-Jury).

Players that are out of the game:
Players are considered 'Dead' when they are voted out during the 2 tribe period. They cannot post in any other thread other than the Spectator QT. Players that die when there are 8 players left, are sent to the Jury QT where they can talk with other Jury members. They cannot talk in thread either.

There is also another mechanic I want to implement that should make this even more like the real game:

Each player that actually plays Survivor on the TV show has actual skills, right? So players here should have some 'skills' too.

Searching Skill:
1/6 chance of finding Hidden Immunity Idol each night(most fans should know what this is)

Whispering Skill:
Can send 1 message during no-chat periods.

Spying Skill:
Choose a player. You'll overhear one of their conversations and be sent one of the messages they sent during Chat Periods.

Investigative Skill:
Choose a player. You'll be told what 'skills' they possess.

etc, etc.

Each team would have 1 of each of the skills. They can claim at the beginning, or choose to keep their skills secret.

Skills thing may or may not work, but I feel it would make the game more interesting.

--

Anyway, just a random idea I had. Wondering if we could implement it/enough interest in it. There would of course need to be 1, 2 or even 3 mods to keep everything under control. But it would be fun, just take a while.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Let me know what you guys think!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Online Survivor?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »

in without reading anything but the first sentence. one of my favorite shows when i was a kid.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:13 pm »

I have been thinking about this same thing. I haven't even read your post but I am a HUGE, like ridiculously huge fan of Survivor. So I'd love to help make this idea happen and would probably be /in.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

Glad I'm not the only Survivor fanboy.  ;D

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Potential problems: the challenges should be a bit varied to be fun, which could be a bit tough (some of these could probably be Dominion. Sure, some people are better than others, but the physically strongest people don't always win survivor). There also could be a problem with timing and time zones if the only goal for challenges is time-based.

In Survivor, the players don't know each other at all. Here, we have twin-claims and people already know each other from playing dominion together and other forum games. It could potentially be a big disadvantage for new players.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »

Potential problems: the challenges should be a bit varied to be fun, which could be a bit tough (some of these could probably be Dominion. Sure, some people are better than others, but the physically strongest people don't always win survivor). There also could be a problem with timing and time zones if the only goal for challenges is time-based.

In Survivor, the players don't know each other at all. Here, we have twin-claims and people already know each other from playing dominion together and other forum games. It could potentially be a big disadvantage for new players.
True. I feel the Timezone and Challenges are going to be the hardest to deal with.

We could spread out player based on Time Zones, so that at least 1 member from each team is online.

Twin-Claiming would be difficult but it hopefully shouldn't be too bad. They just have to make sure they don't even mention the game outside the thread.

Another thing about the threads: Would 2 QTs be needed for each Tribe? Or could theory potentially make 2 threads, only allowing certain members be able to view them.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:52 pm »

True. I feel the Timezone and Challenges are going to be the hardest to deal with.

We could spread out player based on Time Zones, so that at least 1 member from each team is online.

Twin-Claiming would be difficult but it hopefully shouldn't be too bad. They just have to make sure they don't even mention the game outside the thread.

Another thing about the threads: Would 2 QTs be needed for each Tribe? Or could theory potentially make 2 threads, only allowing certain members be able to view them.

I think maybe this could be solved by just letting people pm each other and if they want to PM multiple people, they can go for it. And if you want to respond to everyone, just hit "reply all." I don't think multiple QTs would be necessary.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 08:14:48 pm »

True, but I'd rather have players converse with one another in-thread for challenges and the like. So they can see which players are helping the tribe, and which players are hindering it.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »

True, but I'd rather have players converse with one another in-thread for challenges and the like. So they can see which players are helping the tribe, and which players are hindering it.

Yeah this seems like a good idea, something's gotta be in-thread, right? Although there probably shouldn't be tons and tons of interaction between the two teams. (Just heckling! ;D)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:26:49 pm »

Incoming: subgames of Mafia, Resistance, GoF, etc.

Another challenge suggestion -- The Amazing Race: everyone must record videos of themselves playing QWOP.  Best distance wins the challenge.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:35:57 pm »

Not sure how easy it is to follow after the fact but here's a Survivor game done by some mafiascum guys: http://z13.invisionfree.com/Seafoam_Islands/index.php?

I wasn't in that one, but I signed up for a later one that's still ongoing.  I probably wouldn't do it again since I'm not a huge fan of the social aspect of how alliances are formed.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:36 am »

WOAH. I don't know how I missed this thread.

I AM A SURVIVOR SUPER FAN. I've never missed an episode.

I've actually applied to be on, like, 5 times or something.

Are you watching the current season? It's really good; very strong cast.

Anyway, the most difficult thing about playing this online--which, by the way, I am totally IN for--is the challenges. I would suggest Dominion games for one thing, obviously. You know, you could implement other online games though. (Like, who can solve a Colourshift puzzle first? Every played Colourshift? It's great: http://www.kongregate.com/games/mrsneeze/colourshift
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:12:29 am »

Anyway, the most difficult thing about playing this online--which, by the way, I am totally IN for--is the challenges. I would suggest Dominion games for one thing, obviously. You know, you could implement other online games though. (Like, who can solve a Colourshift puzzle first? Every played Colourshift? It's great: http://www.kongregate.com/games/mrsneeze/colourshift

Why am I not surprised that fellow forum games addicts are Survivor addicts too?

This has gotta happen guys. We have got to get forum Survivor off the ground. I really love the current season too. We should take this discussion somewhere else but which seasons are your favorites? I am not always a huge fan of when they bring people back but I think Heros Vs. Villans was one of the best that I've ever seen. Anyway anyway. Now you've got me addicted to colorshifting too.

Also, get on Survivor. It would be so cool to say that I sorta-kinda know someone on that show! (Actually I'm like 2 degrees of separation from Matt from Redemption Island.)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:42 am »

/in

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 01:20:00 am »

Never watched a single episode.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:21 am »

Why am I not surprised that fellow forum games addicts are Survivor addicts too?

This has gotta happen guys. We have got to get forum Survivor off the ground. I really love the current season too. We should take this discussion somewhere else but which seasons are your favorites? I am not always a huge fan of when they bring people back but I think Heros Vs. Villans was one of the best that I've ever seen. Anyway anyway. Now you've got me addicted to colorshifting too.

Also, get on Survivor. It would be so cool to say that I sorta-kinda know someone on that show! (Actually I'm like 2 degrees of separation from Matt from Redemption Island.)

Was he the long blond haired Christian young guy?

I'm always rooting against the other long blond haired young guys, because I feel like each of them has taken a spot on the show that should have been mine.

This season is oddly good. last season started out okay, but then fizzled when that one girl--Kim, I think--just completely dominated it. I like most of the players they bring back, though on occasion it gets annoying (I don't care for Ozzy, for one thing). Heroes Vs. Villains was the best season hands down, of course. How could it not be? At the time, Russel, Parvati, and Sandra were the best three to ever play the game, and they got to face off! I wanted Parv to win, but you can't argue with Sandra's social game.

As far as the current season goes, just a really strong cast. I really like Penner. Denise and Malcom are instant favorites, it would shock me if they don't come back. Abby is a terrific villain, she's just so insane. And the old actress lady has sort of proven herself.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:02 am »

I think I watched season 4 and around there when I was young. So don't obviously know anyone. If I were to try it again now, what season would you recommend? I obviously wouldn't know any of the characters beforehand.

There is a ton of stuff you can do for challenges if you get creative. Could be posting pictures of something irl-y, online games, etc. Mod just basically needs to be awesome. I want to start this soon!!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:13:58 am »

in without reading anything but the first sentence. one of my favorite shows when i was a kid.

Anyone else feeling old now?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 05:14:28 am »

haha

im 28

28 goddammit im not old

im not old

(im not)

(really)

(look at me elide these apostrophes)
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 08:14:05 am »

/In.

Just to let you guys know, the first swede who got voted out in the first season of the swedish version committed suicide, so no pressure. ;)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 12:54:21 pm »

Watched the first season, then realized I hated reality tv
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:41:30 pm »

Watched the first season, then realized I hated reality tv

It's continually improved over the years. It's much more of a physical/social/mental competition now, than a reality show.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:12 pm »

I actually cried.

Then posted the quote on Facebook, along with the obligatory, "Get off my lawn."
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »

Are y'all actually that old? I mean, it was on when I was "a kid" too, but I'm only 24 now, sheesh.

Eevee and I were recently discussing how old we think everyone in Forum Games is, and they we became Facebook friends. Isn't that nice?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:57 pm »

Are y'all actually that old? I mean, it was on when I was "a kid" too, but I'm only 24 now, sheesh.

Eevee and I were recently discussing how old we think everyone in Forum Games is, and they we became Facebook friends. Isn't that nice?

Oh Oh! How old am I then?!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 19 queries.