Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weird, fun board  (Read 792 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Weird, fun board
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:35:18 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/03/game-20121203-115138-9ff9f647.html

This board was pretty weird. Colony game. No +buy, the only gainers were HOP and Expand (and BV sorta). Bank was pretty nice with Counting House but lacked the buys. I think KC was weaker than usual because it didn't have any real prime targets, and the same was true with BV. Cartographer and Navigator messed with the top of the deck in ways that were often confusing. And not really any good BM cards.

We both got off the ground really slowly, and I think the first half of my game was rubbish as I was trying to figure out what I could do with this set. A lot happier with the second half, even if the only reason I was able to sneak from behind for the win was because my opponent had a terrible turn.

What's the best strategy on this board?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Weird, fun board
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »

You can reasonably do stuff using KC, Expand, Watchtower, BV, and HoP on this board (with Cartographer thrown in). Once your engine gets going, you can hit =9 unique cards per turn pretty often and gain Platinum, and Expand those into Colonies. Should work out, I think. The real barrier is getting rid of the starting cards, and there's not a good way to trim down, but Cartographer sort of helps you out with that.

EDIT: you can Expand Coppers to other stuff, and reveal Watchtower, trashing them to trim down your deck.

EDIT2: blah, this takes way too long to solitaire. I was drawing the whole deck by turn 14 but misplayed it a little bit, accidentally trashing too many unique Treasures so that my HoPs only produced $7 instead of $8 or $9, and I should have picked up an extra Navigator to produce enough money when KC'd that I could buy a Colony.

I'd expect that your opponent would quit in frustration before you could end the game.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:54:25 pm by dondon151 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.