Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28  All

Author Topic: TTA II: Not quite as civilized - Tables wins!  (Read 54214 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
TTA II: Not quite as civilized - Tables wins!
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:40:16 pm »

This will be a full game of Through the Ages using Tabels spreadsheets.
The game rules are available at BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/55064/through-the-ages-english-rulebook.
Unless players disagree on this, the game will use the alternate corruption rule (i.e. you can choose not to produce a resource in order to avoid corruption). Since player hands are easily trackable anyway, they will be public information.

The game will probably start on Saturday.

Signups (4/4):
Tables
Jorbles
ipofanes
cayvie

Rules (shamelessly stolen from Tables and modified )
Through the Ages is a civilization building game. The goal is to develop your civilization, not to destroy other ones. Military strength is just one aspect of your nation, as well as population, production or science. It is up to you which aspect you will concentrate on, more or less, but you should not underestimate any of them while building your civilization.

Victory is achieved by the player whose nation produces the most culture during the game. However, there are many ways to produce culture: through religion, literature or drama, by building wonders, by utilizing cultural persons etc. Considerable amount of culture can be gained even via wars or aggression.
Description from BGG

This is the thread for the second Play By Forum game of Vlaada Chvátil's Through The Ages. This is not a short, simple game; it is an epic civilisation building game. As such, players should expect the game to take at least a few months (I predict about 3-4, depending on activity). This does mean it should be an engrossing, fun and strategically deep game, and the long time period should give you lots of time to plan out your moves.

A copy of the rules can be found on BGG here. The rules are great, they're mostly very clear, and so I will make no attempt to explain the rules myself, and instead advise players to read them (you will need a BGG account, which if you don't have, is hassle free to make). I will of course try and answer any questions players may have.

A public spreadsheet for the game is available [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuoXfjzSnYbsdFNMRTNLZENlR0Y3Z2dvbXFVQjkzb3c#gid=7]here[/url]. Each player has a link to a private sheet, which also includes their own hands.

Players may wish to bookmark this link, which shows all of the available actions (excluding extras given by wonders or leaders), as well as the turn structure summary. As moderator, sections 1 and 6 will be performed by me. The PBF exclusive section 7: Point out moderator mistakes, will be performed by everyone else.

Some notes for PBF:
  • Please do not contact other players about the game outside this thread. I'm not saying you can't mention the game in other threads, but don't go out of your way to conspire in a way that isn't public.
  • I will be respecting the standard rules for pacts. This means, you can't talk about a pact you might be proposing before you do, you have to play it, name the roles and the other player can respond. Breaking this rule results in forfeiting your political action for the turn.
  • Hopefully your spreadsheets will work, but if there are any issues that crop up, let me know! Also, if you feel that some details could be better displayed, or should be displayed somewhere else, let me know - the sheets are, after all, for your benefit.
  • For ease of spotting what your official actions are, please bold your final actions.
  • I'm usually pretty lenient about letting people take back actions they realise are not actually good, including possibly accidentally revealing things about their military cards (consider the fact you've revealed the information your punishment). However, do not attempt to abuse my good nature, or I will instigate a 'bold thing=>it happened' policy. However, don't take back decisions because of information revealed after you made them.
  • I won't be enforcing a time limit, but for the sake of others, try to play relatively quickly, and respond to events when they happen. Checking the thread maybe two-three times a day would be great, if you can manage it (that's only checking, 80% of those times you won't need to post!). Less is fine, though, so don't worry too much.

Taking your turn:
Turn structure

1) Updating the card row: I will do this for you between turns along with step 7

2) Outcome of a war: You sacrifice units, then they sacrifice units, then one or both of you might need to make decisions based on what happened. I will update other things (usually culture) as I see them.

3) Political action: This is probably the most complex bit of your turn. If you want to play an:
  • Event: State that you are playing an event in the thread along with it's age and, in case you have multiple events in hand, PM me which one you play. Then, I will reveal the next current event and resolve it (which may require decisions from various players)
  • Aggression: Play the aggression in the thread, name your target, and post what you're sacrificing (if you can calculate it yourself, please include your total strength for the aggression as well!). Your rival then posts what they're sacrificing (or bonus cards), and one or both of you might then have to make choices regarding the outcome.
  • Pact: Play the pact in the thread, specify which player is A and which is B (if relevant). Your target then either accepts or rejects. Once the proposal has been made, you can talk about it, but you cannot renege or change the proposal.
  • War: Announce it as though it were an aggression, but then simply carry on with your turn. Remember it's resolved next turn
  • No action: Announce you are skipping your political action (note: Please do announce it, otherwise I might ask people to wait as I check, did you really mean to skip your political action?)

4) Discard excess military cards: Check your military hand limit (normally =military actions), then PM me military cards until you are at your military hand limit.

5) Civil and Military actions: Post all of your civil and military actions directly into the thread. For the first few turns, or whenever you aren't sure, it may be a good idea to PM them to me instead, just to double check everything you're trying to do is valid. It's easy to forget a few things and make a few mistakes, like, you used military actions on an aggression/war, or that Wonder cost 1 CA more than you thought because you've completed a Wonder already, or accidentally trying to play a military tech with a military action instead of a civil one, and that's just a few examples. Either way if your move is valid, it stands (and I'll post it if you PM'd me) and I'll update everything based on it. If you did something wrong, I'll let you know, and you can fix it.
In certain extreme situations, I might stop and check if you were aware of a consequence of something you did. This is primarily things like 'Woah those actions will give you an uprising, are you sure?' or 'Your military is already maxed at 60, are you sure you want to build those three infantry?' Both of which could be legit things to do e.g. desperately need more science at expense of some resource (for 1) or building up stuff to sacrifice in a crazy war (for 2), but usually, would not be.

6) Production and Maintenance: I'll do all of this for you. It is possible that I will just post an update to the Card Row in thread without editing the spreadsheet, so that the next player can do his move already, and will try to remember to tell you whether the spreadsheet is up to date or not.

Rules in use
We are playing a 4 player full game.
The alternate corruption rule is in effect. This lets you choose for one mine to not produce [unless you ask otherwise, I will do this automatically if it will increase your resources].
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:16:26 pm by Watno »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: TTA II: Not quite as civilized - One slot available
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »

Confirmed.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:09 pm »

how hard would this game be to learn on the fly
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »

Hmm... the rule book is pretty long, but a lot of things are pretty intuitive once you have the base mechanics down. As long as you don't make too many early mistakes (I can provide (pregame) some reasonable starting advice), then you should probably be alright.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »

i'll give this a try then
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:05:57 am »

Thanks for hosting, count me in. I am impartial to the corruption rule but would do without it if given the choice.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:07:53 am by ipofanes »
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:17 am »

But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: TTA II: Not quite as civilized - Signups closed, starting this weekend
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 01:05:24 pm »

So we're full, I'm planning to get the game thread ready on Friday probably.

Would all players be ok with going in geographical order like in the other game, so that (ipofanes and Tables) and (cayvie and Jorbles) have their turn after each other each, randomizing inside the pairings and randomizing starting player?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:28 pm »

It's fine by me.

Also this could be useful: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/423223/through-the-ages-a-story-of-civilization?size=original

Easy ones to get mixed up are playing military techs (it's a civil action - it's a technology) and forgetting that taking a Wonder is (CA shown)+(no. of Wonders you've completed)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »

okay, thanks

i'll hopefully at least be able to stumble through the rules by then

she/her

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 03:38:33 am »

Would all players be ok with going in geographical order like in the other game, so that (ipofanes and Tables) and (cayvie and Jorbles) have their turn after each other each, randomizing inside the pairings and randomizing starting player?

I am full of approval for this suggestion.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »

Did i mention my weekends start on Thursday night? I'll start this now, if you are not yet ready, don't feel pressured, but just do take your time and do your move when you are.
I will send all players the link to their personal spreadsheet in a moment, the only difference between thiat and the public Spreadsheet is that it shows your military hands.
If you have questions or I screwed up somewhere, please tell me.

Turn: 1
Current Player: cayvie
It is currently Age A.

cayvie
Culture: 0 (+0)
Science: 0 (+1)
Strength: 1

ipofanes

Tables

Jorbles

(listed in turn order)

Card row: Reminder: On turn 1, you may only take cards from the card row, and have 1/2/3/4 CA to do so for the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th player resp.
1 CA: Engineering Genius(removed at end of round)
1 CA: Frugality
1 CA: Aristotle
1 CA: Rich Land
1 CA: Pyramids
2 CA: Julius Caesar
2 CA: Rich Land
2 CA: Homer
2 CA: Alexander the Great
3 CA: Frugality
3 CA: Work of Art
3 CA: Revolutionary Idea
3 CA: Ideal Building Site
Civil Cards remaining: 7

Current Events: 6
Next event: Age A
Military cards remaining: 0
Details: Full spreadsheet
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 06:33:29 am by Watno »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: TTA II: Not quite as civilized - Age A
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »

Which version of the game are we playing? Advanced?

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »

We are playing the full game (using the alternate corruption rule).

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »

Okay, I know what's going on now, mostly. Ready when everyone else is.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »

Well, your last in turn order anyway. Note that since in the first round the card row wont be refilled, you can take your moves without taking waiting for me in between.

BTW, i updated first post with some info from the table and made the public spreadsheet actually viewable.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:06 pm »

is there a link somewhere to what all the cards actually do? it's not in the rules, as far as i can see.

she/her

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »

The full spread sheet has the details on all the current cards. I haven't seen any lists of cards in general though.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:51 pm »

alright

i'm first right

take Aristotle into hand

she/her

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

The full spread sheet has the details on all the current cards. I haven't seen any lists of cards in general though.

oh wait they are all there, they're under the tabs that say Civil Library and Military Library.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 06:58:34 pm »

(aristotle is a reasonable opening play, right?)

she/her

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »

Absolutely. He's one of the better age A leaders in a vacuum, and leaders are definitely a strong opening play.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 02:38:04 am »

Take Engineering Genius in Hand
Take Pyramids in Hand and put it on the table
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:30:02 am by ipofanes »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 05:10:50 am »

Absolutely. He's one of the better age A leaders in a vacuum, and leaders are definitely a strong opening play.

I'd have taken Pyramids as the starting player, but it would have been a tough call. My reasoning would have been that Aristotle doesn't do much for you in turn 2, other than, for instance, Julius.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 09:05:33 am »

is a "technology card" any card that has a tech cost?

she/her
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28  All

Page created in 1.922 seconds with 19 queries.