Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Kingdom Builder  (Read 6844 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Kingdom Builder
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:48:21 am »

So "they" can get an official version of Kingdom Builder into the iOS app store, but Dominion.... not so much....

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id581197776?mt=8

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom Builder
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:19 am »

They also managed to upload a wicked game of Noughts and Crosses as well!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:38 am »
+2

I don't think that Kingdom Builder implementation is by goko... unless by "they" you mean "the entire pool of application developers globally"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:53 am »

Its not, its done by Queen Games in house developers (or someone using that name)

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:26 am »
+1

I don't think that Kingdom Builder implementation is by goko... unless by "they" you mean "the entire pool of application developers globally"

Yeah, I just mean "people in general" are able to get Kingdom Builder into the app store in a short space of time (possibly even as a functional implementation) - but Goko and Dominion not so much. Sorry to be obscure.

I know most of you are tired of folks taking cheap shots at Goko, but I just don't seem to be getting tired of it myself. They took a game I loved and are doing their level best to turn it into manure.

Some may say the Dominion community has been too harsh on Goko but I disagree - I think the criticism has been mild compared to what they have deserved.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:30:26 am »

But my point is, its a completely different game, with different rulesets and a lot less variables and interactions.

I'm not saying Goko is good, its not, its rubbish. But complaining about unconnected things is a trifle useless.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:13 am »
+1

But my point is, its a completely different game, with different rulesets and a lot less variables and interactions.

I'm not saying Goko is good, its not, its rubbish. But complaining about unconnected things is a trifle useless.

Dude, he's a troll, it says so in his signature.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:00 am »
+2

iPad only. Worst news all morning and my car broke down this morning
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:28 am »
+1

I know, but A) Even trolls can be wrong! and B) There are times when i jut like writing words on screens. It calms the inner arguments I have with myself

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:51 am »

I know, but A) Even trolls can be wrong! and B) There are times when i jut like writing words on screens. It calms the inner arguments I have with myself

I feel you on that one. http://xkcd.com/386/

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:53 am »

Sometimes I also feel i should balance out my troll-like posts with responses to other toll-like posts

That way it keeps my Karma neutral and I can sleep soundly at night.

(Which is in fact a lie, I have always slept perfectly well since I swapped my conscience for some magic beans)

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

True enough.

If you were to look back at my early posts on these forums you'd see I was as excited and hopeful about the Goko implementation before many details were known about it.... but now.... well I just think Goko is inevitably going to be very very bad for Dominion and Goko has shown that they have  very little interest in changing the course they are on (yes they have flagged a few changes - window dressing basically).... so what is there to be positive/non trollish about...?

So I feel like venting - why not? It seems as good a response to the circumstances as anything to me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:13:19 am by cactus »

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:11:49 am »

I know, but A) Even trolls can be wrong!

I'll pay that line.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
+2

Well, Goko is an HTML5 game company. That's their entire schtick. So it's unreasonable to expect them to create a non-HTML5 version of Dominion. Basically, Jay decided to take a chance on a completely unproven "technology of the future" and we're paying the price. HTML5 is not a mature technology yet and some browsers and mobile devices aren't equipped to handle it. Also, I'm guessing their aren't a lot of seasoned HTML5 developers out there, since HTML5 is so new. As a result, we have this snail's pace development.

Still, Goko's doing pretty well at fixing their bugs. They're slowly, very slowly, approaching a good implementation. And I must like Goko's Dominion pretty well, since I play it all the time.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:46 am »

Well, Goko is an HTML5 game company. That's their entire schtick. So it's unreasonable to expect them to create a non-HTML5 version of Dominion. Basically, Jay decided to take a chance on a completely unproven "technology of the future" and we're paying the price. HTML5 is not a mature technology yet and some browsers and mobile devices aren't equipped to handle it. Also, I'm guessing their aren't a lot of seasoned HTML5 developers out there, since HTML5 is so new. As a result, we have this snail's pace development.

Still, Goko's doing pretty well at fixing their bugs. They're slowly, very slowly, approaching a good implementation. And I must like Goko's Dominion pretty well, since I play it all the time.

I am not involved or had any feelings towards HTML5 games, but that goko is a proof for a problem of HTML5 is somehow far fetched, and I've read it a few times now.  You have a point with the seasoned developers, but I don't see which of the tons of fails of goko had anything to do with html5. 

Btw isotropic is also html5. (On the client. Guess goko does not do html on the servers, but you never know...)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »

Oh and just an update, apparently the Kingdom Builder App is buggy, has terrible connection problems, poor multiplayer (Uses BSW) and has horrible animations.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
+1

Oh and just an update, apparently the Kingdom Builder App is buggy, has terrible connection problems, poor multiplayer (Uses BSW) and has horrible animations.

Is also iPad only which is like cardinal sin #1. I want to play on my phone on the go damnit
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:53 pm »
+2

Is also iPad only which is like cardinal sin #1. I want to play on my phone on the go damnit

I'm pretty sure #1 is Pride, but yes, iPad only is up there.  :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:39 pm »
+4

I'm pretty sure #1 is Pride, but yes, iPad only is up there.  :P

I think in these modern times, gluttony is making a run for the top. Well, maybe not a run so much as a saunter.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:14 pm »
+1

I just want to know why it takes them so long to make easy changes like the Done button to something like Buy Phase. That should be an easy 1 minute fix. I don't get what takes them so long, honestly.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »
+1

I just want to know why it takes them so long to make easy changes like the Done button to something like Buy Phase. That should be an easy 1 minute fix. I don't get what takes them so long, honestly.
I always figure it's because they are working on Settlers or whatever instead.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:31 pm »
+1

They're still waiting for the UI hex to roll.  If it doesn't they'll soon have to trade their Gokoins 4:1 to the bank for it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »
+1

I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that Larry Roznai (President of Mayfair) is less impressed with Goko's timetable and abilities than I am.  So it might well be there's a big push for Settlers, as it's now been almost a year and a half since they signed a deal...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »
+2

I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that Larry Roznai (President of Mayfair) is less impressed with Goko's timetable and abilities than I am.  So it might well be there's a big push for Settlers, as it's now been almost a year and a half since they signed a deal...

It must be very frustrating being a president of a game company and having your product developed by Goko. I can only begin to imagine his frustration. Also, Settlers is a hugely popular game that is now even sold at Target, so I can imagine feeling like it is important to have an online implementation out ASAP.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
+1

It must be very frustrating being a president of a game company and having your product developed by Goko. I can only begin to imagine his frustration. Also, Settlers is a hugely popular game that is now even sold at Target, so I can imagine feeling like it is important to have an online implementation out ASAP.

Actually, Settlers itself has been digitally implemented multiple times, including some backed by Mayfair.  Goko is developing Catan World (or something like that), something more multiplayer and microplay/social play.  Basically, Farmville for Catan, except with the intent to be better than Farmville, and the almost certainty that Goko will find a way to make it worse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.