Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Chapel Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 81695 times)

dwenzel

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2012, 03:20:11 am »
+2

Round 2 Match AN: dwenzel (23) vs timchen/allfail (10)
dwenzel wins 4-3

Overall a really fun series. We used pretty different strategies for most of these games with some neat results. I thought the deciding game 7 was especially interesting. Thanks for the great games!

(Used kingdom cards in bold)

Game 1: dwenzel 42 - allfail 30
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-212730-9849fdd8.html
Kingdom Cards: Cutpurse, Familiar, Haven, Horse Traders, Island, Scrying Pool, Tournament, Venture, Warehouse, and Wharf

I opened Warehouse/Potion against his Silver/Potion, which may have helped me get the cursing advantage (7-3). I think the curses set the tone for the rest of this game and a Trusty Steed helps me close this one out.

Game 2: dwenzel 28- allfail 47
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-213604-691ac6b2.html
Kingdom Cards: Develop, Jester, King's Court, Militia, Monument, Mountebank, Scout, Smithy, Venture, Village♦, and Young Witch

Neglected Young Witch, thinking I can skip it in favor of Mountebanks and block his Young Witches with the Village bane card. This was just a poor plan from the start, as I fell behind in the cursing in this one and my deck couldn't get anything done towards the end.

Game 3: dwenzel 25 - allfail 18
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-215626-c0a87fcb.html
Kingdom Cards: Farmland, Golem, Haven, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Oasis, Stash, Steward, Swindler, and Trade Route

Every card got some action! We both went for Stewards for early trashing and transition to Golems, but I opted to go for Stashes while allfail went for more actions. I figured with the lean decks and Golems sifting through cards fast, Stashes can help me reliably get Provinces. It paid off for me here. Not too big of a user of Stash without Chancellor but I'm surprisingly pleased at how it worked out.

Game 4: dwenzel 20 - allfail 24
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-221325-3a9e7dca.html
Kingdom Cards: Apothecary, Bazaar, Black Market, Chapel, Lighthouse♦, Mine, Mountebank, Native Village, Swindler, Trading Post, and Village

All games so far have had cursers, but thankfully we have Chapel here. We both eventually get Black Market. I snagged an early Expand and tried to do some Mine/Expand combo to try to get Provinces through the upgrade route. allfail ended up with a dangerous engine with plenty of attack cards that stopped my deck short. I made mistakes in neglecting Lighthouse and getting rid of my Chapel. I had a lead in the midgame, but allfail's nasty engine easily blew past me.

Game 5: dwenzel 27 - allfail 31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-223356-c9fd181e.html
Kingdom Cards: Ambassador, Border Village, Cellar, Embargo, Library, Merchant Ship, Peddler, Remake, Swindler, and Tribute

This one I wish I could have back. We both open Ambassador/Remake and slim our decks down. allfail opts to get money quickly while I try to use Remake to keep slimming my deck down while accumulating some free Border Villages (they were Embargo'ed early). allfail rushes for points but my engine eventually catches up and feeds allfail curses from Ambassador. His deck slows down but I make a large mistake Ambassadorring all my curses away. I was in position to tie the game in points, but since I went first, it would've been a loss for me. Would've been able to take it if I had a curse to Ambassador over to him. allfail closes the game out by buying the last Embargoed Border Village and using the Border Village effect to gain the last curse as well! This was a fun one that I wish I played better on.

Game 6: dwenzel 43 - allfail 23
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-224138-c589bfb1.html
Kingdom Cards: Courtyard, Envoy, Horn of Plenty, Island, Oasis, Stables, Tournament, University, Wharf, and Woodcutter

I rushed Wharves with the help of Universities and went to accumulate Horn of Plenty afterwards as allfail went for money and fast Provinces. My engine gives me the last five Provinces on turn 13 to take this one.

Game 7: dwenzel 42 - allfail 33
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-225056-fda70498.html
Kingdom Cards: Duchess, Embargo, Great Hall, Library, Militia, Mining Village, Royal Seal, Shanty Town, Tunnel, Vault

Vault/Tunnel seemed like a clear choice, but I opened Militia/Embargo with the intention of Embargoing Vault before allfail gets the chance to take them. Looking back on this, I was lucky that he hit $5 really late. I even managed to sneak two tokens onto Vault before he got it. At this point, he had 2 Tunnels and 2 Curses slowing his deck down and I felt good in trying to rush towards Provinces with money and drawers. I kept a lead over him and was able to hold him off in the end game. Risky move here but I felt like I would've fallen behind as second player if I just tried to mirror him. I'm not sure if this strategy would work most times against Vault/Tunnel, but I'm sure glad it did the trick this time!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:34:14 am by dwenzel »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2012, 03:26:35 am »

I don't think timchen was particularly unlucky at all in game 7. He opens Tunnel, which does him no favors at getting to $5 early, and buys Tunnel + Shanty Town on the reshuffle, which still don't help him get to Vault.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2012, 04:15:44 am »
+1

Game 1: dwenzel 42 - allfail 30
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-212730-9849fdd8.html
Kingdom Cards: Cutpurse, Familiar, Haven, Horse Traders, Island, Scrying Pool, Tournament, Venture, Warehouse, and Wharf

I opened Warehouse/Potion against his Silver/Potion, which may have helped me get the cursing advantage (7-3). I think the curses set the tone for the rest of this game and a Trusty Steed helps me close this one out.
I did make a mistake at opening Silver/Potion. Was afraid of early 2+P draws (even though there is scrying pool as a consolation prize.) But of course, with the only different case where you draw them together, the warehouse can actually guarantee that you get 3+P. So a bad opening for me, and probably deserved the loss.

Still, 7-3 is really a bit unlucky for me, as he got 2 familiars in turn 3-4, played his first familiar turn 4 (!) and second turn 5(!). Even though my draw was not bad I could not really compete with that. I was thinking of conceding after the curse running out. I had decent draw later with my wharves and his ignoring them did take the match closer but that was just not enough.

Game 3: dwenzel 25 - allfail 18
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-215626-c0a87fcb.html
Kingdom Cards: Farmland, Golem, Haven, Merchant Ship, Mountebank, Oasis, Stash, Steward, Swindler, and Trade Route

Every card got some action! We both went for Stewards for early trashing and transition to Golems, but I opted to go for Stashes while allfail went for more actions. I figured with the lean decks and Golems sifting through cards fast, Stashes can help me reliably get Provinces. It paid off for me here. Not too big of a user of Stash without Chancellor but I'm surprisingly pleased at how it worked out.
I was thinking about steward+steward opening but didn't try. I thought I had plenty chance to win this one, but made too many errors. I should not get those farmlands early and should get a couple oases. I don't quite understand the stash strategy though. Like, golem triggers reshuffle all the time, how do you know where to put your stash thing. Certainly looks interesting!

Game 4: dwenzel 20 - allfail 24
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-221325-3a9e7dca.html
Kingdom Cards: Apothecary, Bazaar, Black Market, Chapel, Lighthouse♦, Mine, Mountebank, Native Village, Swindler, Trading Post, and Village

All games so far have had cursers, but thankfully we have Chapel here. We both eventually get Black Market. I snagged an early Expand and tried to do some Mine/Expand combo to try to get Provinces through the upgrade route. allfail ended up with a dangerous engine with plenty of attack cards that stopped my deck short. I made mistakes in neglecting Lighthouse and getting rid of my Chapel. I had a lead in the midgame, but allfail's nasty engine easily blew past me.
I was pretty happy at this stage of the match though. I thought I saw 3 consecutive questionable plans and without too much luck swing I should have good chance to take the series. How wrong I was...

Game 5: dwenzel 27 - allfail 31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-223356-c9fd181e.html
Kingdom Cards: Ambassador, Border Village, Cellar, Embargo, Library, Merchant Ship, Peddler, Remake, Swindler, and Tribute

This one I wish I could have back. We both open Ambassador/Remake and slim our decks down. allfail opts to get money quickly while I try to use Remake to keep slimming my deck down while accumulating some free Border Villages (they were Embargo'ed early). allfail rushes for points but my engine eventually catches up and feeds allfail curses from Ambassador. His deck slows down but I make a large mistake Ambassadorring all my curses away. I was in position to tie the game in points, but since I went first, it would've been a loss for me. Would've been able to take it if I had a curse to Ambassador over to him. allfail closes the game out by buying the last Embargoed Border Village and using the Border Village effect to gain the last curse as well! This was a fun one that I wish I played better on.
This one was interesting. I was thinking about a BM-ish strategy even though I still opened with ambassador+remake. The thing is, I thought the embargo (which is easy to get at the early stage with remaking and ambassadoring) can shut down the engine possibilities and BM is going to win out against strong trimming. I was also not too interested in the BV+MS+Library engine, as Library chokes pretty hard with incoming greens, and the game is going to last if the engine were able to win.

But of course I was wrong, as with the ambassador and a trimmed deck the embargo is not effective at all. Fortunately for me, he realized this a bit too late and allowed me to edge out a win.

Game 6: dwenzel 43 - allfail 23
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-224138-c589bfb1.html
Kingdom Cards: Courtyard, Envoy, Horn of Plenty, Island, Oasis, Stables, Tournament, University, Wharf, and Woodcutter

I rushed Wharves with the help of Universities and went to accumulate Horn of Plenty afterwards as allfail went for money and fast Provinces. My engine gives me the last five Provinces on turn 13 to take this one.
This is a sad game. I should probably have mirrored him, but I was just so disgusted to see the game determined by me drawing my P turn 5 and the university turn 8 or 9 or something so I tried to avoid the mirror. Truth to be told, if I have seen HoP and Stables on the board and thought a bit I should not even try, but at that time I only saw courtyard. And I certainly was hoping him playing his first university turn 8 or 9!

But if you look at his draw, it probably doesn't matter if I mirrored him anyway. (The turn 3-4 are again excellent for him, getting a wharf and a university at turn 3-4.)

Game 7: dwenzel 42 - allfail 33
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-225056-fda70498.html
Kingdom Cards: Duchess, Embargo, Great Hall, Library, Militia, Mining Village, Royal Seal, Shanty Town, Tunnel, Vault

Vault/Tunnel seemed like a clear choice, but I opened Militia/Embargo with the intention of Embargoing Vault before allfail gets the chance to take them. Looking back on this, I was lucky that he hit $5 really late. I even managed to sneak two tokens onto Vault before he got it. At this point, he had 2 Tunnels and 2 Curses slowing his deck down and I felt good in trying to rush towards Provinces with money and drawers. I kept a lead over him and was able to hold him off in the end game. Risky move here but I felt like I would've fallen behind as second player if I just tried to mirror him. I'm not sure if this strategy would work most times against Vault/Tunnel, but I'm sure glad it did the trick this time!
I don't think timchen was particularly unlucky at all in game 7. He opens Tunnel, which does him no favors at getting to $5 early, and buys Tunnel + Shanty Town on the reshuffle, which still don't help him get to Vault.
You have to look a bit closer. I opened silver with $4. He opened militia. I only opened tunnel in response to that. But after seeing him getting the embargo turn 2 and played it turn 3, I dunno, I panicked? Didn't really know what to do at that stage. I was hoping my militia counters can at least met his militia and that was why I got so many tunnels and shanty towns. I dunno, what should I buy when I draw SCCEE turn 3? Maybe I should not have bought that tunnel even though he opened militia? (The opening is great if I can get a $5 draw turn 3 and 4, but even that can be intervened by his militia. So it seems just like an error, I guess.)

To his credit, I think he played extremely well in this one. The opening militia is just a psyche. Once I am scared into tunnels then he switched to library (and embargo vault at the same time.) And I am dead with those tunnels and the embargoed Vaults, whereas at most he has one dead card--his opening militia.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2012, 04:20:59 am »
+1

Game 3: soulnet 39 vs witchdoctor83 23 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-155655-27954bc9.html

cards in supply: Bazaar, Bridge, Highway, Menagerie, Minion, Nomad Camp, Potion, Remake, University, Vineyard, and Watchtower

This has a lot of engine potential. A lot. But the only drawer is Watchtower. I think about going Remake for cleanup, then maybe University, Highway, Bridge, Watchtower, but I feel its slow and Remake+Minions can be fast. After that, we get 5/2 openings, and I do not want to open Remake/-, so I go Minion. He goes with a Highway, which I think is a mistake because any engine here wants University, and with universities you want Bridges. And also, a Highway at the beginning is nothing useful. After that, I play a simple Minions + Remake + some money, to keep it simple, and it works. I eventually add Menagerie after I start greening, which also works nicely because Minions disappear and we cosntantly have 4 cards hands. He tries to build an engine without any +Cards, and fails, ending up with something similar to my deck, but smaller with a couple of not so useful cards like Highway, Nomad Camp and Potion. He almost gets 5 VP Vineyards, but not commiting to it, getting just one Potion and contesting me for the Provinces (which brings the end closer), which makes him lose the game.

I still feel like University + Anything + Vineyards may get 6 or 7 VP Vineyards easily and maybe even get a couple of Provinces by the end, but I still went for a deck full of Silver and Minions, trashing with Remake.

If you have any comments especially on this game, I would appreciate it.

3 - 0

On game 3, University/Vineyard was the dominant strategy. No question about it. If your opponent had invested more heavily in potions, he would have won, I am pretty sure. University/Vineyard is a strong strategy period, but with Minion and such, yikes!

BA's got the right direction but I'd say you can easily bring vineyards up to something like 10 VP. There is a combination of 2 uni depending combos here, i.e. uni/watchtower and uni/vineyards. I haven't looked at the log (no chance right now), but I would grab unis (and wt) after remaking, steal some of your minions, get bridges to be able to gain even more cards a turn, gain bazars and highways and menageries, more unis and watchtowers and quickly have some 30ish action cards with (at least) 1 potion already in my deck. And I should have full end game control, cause I can gain cards with unis, have multiple buys, while my opponent struggles to get 8 provinces with his ~6 minions.
Some (not too conservative, but not unlikely, I believe) example calculation: if I can get 8 bazars, 8 highways, 8 unis, 8 menageries, 4 watchtowers, 4 minions, that's 40 cards for 13 VP per vineyards.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2012, 12:22:42 pm »

You have to look a bit closer. I opened silver with $4. He opened militia. I only opened tunnel in response to that. But after seeing him getting the embargo turn 2 and played it turn 3, I dunno, I panicked? Didn't really know what to do at that stage. I was hoping my militia counters can at least met his militia and that was why I got so many tunnels and shanty towns. I dunno, what should I buy when I draw SCCEE turn 3? Maybe I should not have bought that tunnel even though he opened militia? (The opening is great if I can get a $5 draw turn 3 and 4, but even that can be intervened by his militia. So it seems just like an error, I guess.)

Oh, I was looking closely. I know that you opened Tunnel in an attempt to "counter" his Militia, hoping that you draw it in a hand where he plays Militia. But, as you've suggested, I opined that you just have to grin and bear with it and hope that you get $5 on turns 3/4. It's not like you're automatically screwed out of $5 if your opponent opens Militia.

A-D

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:54 pm »
+1

Played a match against nsnyder on Tuesday with following results:

Game 1 AD wins 40-39
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-080104-a019e4c9.html

Key cards: Haggler, Stables, Peddler, Talisman, Lighthouse

Here I took a very simple BM+haggler approach supported by stables, whereas nsnyder took a more elaborate route with peddlers. By turn 16 only two provinces were left and we both moved into duchies. Few turns later nsnyder took the penultimate province and I was lucky enough to take the last one right after that.

Game 2 A-D wins 29-27
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-081141-c9c2eb89.html

Key cards: Jester, Spice Merchant, Watchtower, Menagerie, Island

A mirror match with Jesters played early and often, other cards acting as support. nsnyder took more menageries with the midgame 3s, whereas I went for silvers as I had failed to trash my coppers and more of them kept coming from jesters. At turn 16 I took a lead with an Island buy, and soon afterwards we took the last four provinces, the last one going to me again. As an amusing side note, all three curses handed by jesters where blocked by our single watchtowers bought or gained in the midgame

Game 3 A-D wins 42-7
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-083655-b44bc481.html

Key cards: University, Hunting Party, Ghost Ship, Steward, Laboratory, Tribute

Much closer game than the score suggests, and the first engine game of this match with university, trashing and good drawing cards available, and even a ghost ship to slow down the possible bm strategy. Nsnyder got a better start here, hitting more 5s and 6s in the beginning, and began to buy golds, ghost ships and tributes and soon the first province of the game. However the tributes didn't pay off, including a play where he didn't get any actions and could not play his ghost ship. I kept grabbing mostly HoPs until they were steadily running through the deck, and then moved to ghost ships and labs. As the three universities kept pumping more nonterminal draw and cantrips to the deck already drawing itself, I was able to buy all the remaining provinces very soon, finishing the game.

Game 4 nsnyder wins 27-25
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-084346-4018ae1d.html
Key cards: Masquerade, Farmland, Festival, Throne room

Despite having components for a torturer engine, both of us went for a Masquerade-BM approach. As in game 1, I took the more straightforward approach, buying just a single masquerade and a single festival, wheras nsnyder took two of each and a throne room as well. I made a plunder in the end, thinking that I could buy the penultimate province resulting in a 6 point lead for me (with nsnyder starting), but he got past me buy taking farmland+province, finishing the game just ahead of me. A duchy would have left me in a good position even after his farmland+province (or province+estate), but the possibility of winning the match blinded me totally.

Game 5 A-D wins 48-40
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-085818-f7a2146d.html

Key cards: Embassy, Minion, Caravan, Wishing Well, Gardens

With 5/2 opening and two nice minion support cards (caravan and wishing well, and I strongly believe that later's synergy with minion is horribly underrated), the board screamed minion to me. And then nsynder opened with embassy, handing me the silver and making me realise that this one is going to be a tough one for me, and our first proper non-mirror. Nsnyder took a big lead with province split 4-2, forcing me to switch into duchies. However, I managed to minion few of his embassies away, and caught up by the time we moved into gardens. At one point I got a lucky 8$ and thought that ppr should be broken here, given the increased probability of the game ending on piles. For the first time in our match taking the penultimate province in a close case didn't cost the game for the taker, Nsnyder made a horrible embassy draw and I managed to snatch the last province as well.

Overall, A-D wins 4-1 (1-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, 4-1)

I really enjoyed the match and each individual game! Some common themes I found were that I had the tendency to be a more straightforward and boring BM player, whereas, nsnyder often took more variety into his deck, and usually more action cards. The only exception was game 5, where I had the minion deck and nsynyder played about as straight embassy-bm as one can possibly play. Also I found out that we both should think more about buying the penultimate province: even though neither of us made a mistake in the simplest cases (provinces 3-3, no duchies and no +buy), I retrospectively think both of us were a bit too trigger happy buyers when the conditions were more complicated.

Throughout the match, nsynder was a very polite and respectful opponent, thanks for that!

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2012, 01:15:05 am »
+5

My match with julie went the distance plus one tie (which I'll include for kicks).

I did videos with running commentary, I'm hoping to get those uploaded tonight.
update: had to re-upload one of the videos, so there's still 2 that are being processed (games 5 and 7) and I'm not going to stay up for them to finish. So anyway, here's the playlist.

Player listed first in the score was the player with the first turn, bold was the winner. The key cards listed are most of the cards that were bought, in no particular order.

Game 1: julie 37 - 32 michaeljb
key cards: Stables, Expand, Militia, Mountebank, Walled Village, Remake
I didn't have a clear enough plan in this game, and ended up never getting a Gold. I think I misplayed Expand a couple times, and Militia really hurt Stables (like I had imagined it was going to). Wasn't a great start for me as julie ended up with 6 Provinces.

Game 2: michaeljb 48 - 47 julie
key cards: King's Court, Rabble, Steward, Island
An awkward board with no +buy, so no massive engine, but I feared KC+Rabble enough to not get some defense against it...which happened to be KC+Rabble (quickly draw past the junk that was just put on the deck). First turn advantage is huge for me (getting to the all important KC first) as I squeak out the win by 1 point after Islands and Duchies pile out. I had three out of four turns near the end with $8 to spend and 1 Province left, but couldn't pull the trigger thanks to the tiebreaker.

Game 3: julie 43 - 33 michaeljb
key cards: Masquerade, Jack, Silk Road
julie mainly went Masquerade+BM (also bought a Jack, Lab and a couple Cities--that one had me scratching my head at the time) while I try a Jack/Silk Road "rush" with a Mandarin for extra support. My thinking with that is thhat Jack should be good SR support--Silver gaining, draws a card, with a chance at cycling past a green card. I was ahead for a little bit, but Masquerade was fast enough to catch up and grab 7 of the Provinces in 18 turns.

Game 4: michaeljb 30 - 30 julie
key cards: Caravan, Mine, Smugglers, Duchess, Pearl DIver
Just look at those "key" cards. Such an exciting board...we opened 5/2, I opened with Duchess for some income, she opened Pearl Diver. She bought the only Smugglers of the game, and it did pretty well for her: 4 plays -- 2 Caravans and 2 Golds. Don't know how much it clashed with her other terminals though. Not a very exciting one, not too much to say about it; she bought the final Province for the tie on turn 15.

(we concluded after the tie that I should go first again, since I was still the last loser)
Game 5: michaeljb 39 - 80 julie
key cards: Platinum/Colony, Peddler, Contraband, Throne Room, Masquerade, Bishop, Inn, Wishing Well, Pearl Diver
I start out this game at a loss of what exactly to do with Peddler here. Only +Buy is Contraband, so can't exactly pile up on them, but Bishop+Peddler is so enticing. Plenty of cantrip support to bring its price down though. I picked up a couple Libraries and sort of try a Bishop-focused thing while julie focuses on the Peddlers for simply being cantrip coin. Also I ignore Masquerade for the second time in as many games...simply madness. She is able to pile out the Colonies in 19 turns, more than doubling my pathetic score. This game brought the series score to 3-1 for the fourth ranked player on Isotropic, I was feeling a little worried.

Game 6: michaeljb 53 - 33 julie
key cards: Stables, Expand, Bishop, Black Market (Goons, Governor, Laboratory, Warehouse)
This board wasn't terribly exciting, but when I looked at the BM deck, I decided to focus my game plan on Goons. The Kingdom included no attack cards and no good defenses against discard attacks, so Goons was looking like it would be good. It might be foolish to make a single card of the Black Market your primary focus, but already being down 3-1, what did I have to lose? My deck was all about the Goons--Stables to cycle through to the Goons more, Lab, Warehouse and Governor from the BM to cycle through to the Goons more. Governor giving me some Golds was also very important, allowing me to double-Province. I got Goons out of the BM on turn 10 and played it 4 times in the next 7 turns. Looking back at it, my turn 5 Governor was probably more important. Either way, this was a fun game that really showed off the power Black Market can have.

Game 7: julie 9 - 12 michaeljb
key cards: Ironworks, Great Hall, Swindler, Throne Room, Warehouse
A board with no $5's, IW+GH was the obvious combo, with TR and Warehouse for extra help, and julie picked up a couple Swindlers as well. At first I regretted not doing so myself, but I think my opening Warehouse helped quite a bit. TR helped accelerate the game towards a 3-pile ending; after getting the upper hand with the GHs, I started on the Estates earlier and came out ahead, despite julie buying the game's only Duchy and giving me the game's only 2 Curses.

Game 8: julie 42 - 43 michaeljb
key cards: Wharf, Stables, Horse Traders, Trader, Vault
I had some debate on whether to open HT or Trader; it is probably HT (which I ended up doing). The thing with Trader and Wharf is I like making the +Buys turn into free Silvers, but I felt it was very important to ramp up to buying Wharves as quickly as possible, so I picked up a Trader the first time I had $4 after the opening. We each only settled for 2 Wharves, and Stables for some extra non-terminal draw that would hopefully reduce the need for more Wharves. Julie also opened with HT, and would later buy a Vault; I wanted to a couple times but it never felt like quite the right time to me. I ended up never buying a Gold; julie bought 1. Thanks to Trader shenanigans, I ended up with 9 Silvers to julie's 4. I used my Trader to trash exactly one Estate, and I'm thinking it's good I stopped there. The Duchies were the first pile to go, then the Estates, and then Julie had to buy the PPR, and I managed to have $8 in hand to buy the last Province on turn 18, emptying the Supply of Victory cards, winning by a single point.

michaeljb comes from 3-1 to upset julie 4-3!

Also for anyone who's super into reading about all the tournament games happening, I added some blurbs to my round 1 match post.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:00:48 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
+2

Robz888 defeats soulnet, 4-2. We had a great series of interesting games. I didn't grab any of the logs, but I did record them all. (My deeper-than-usual voice is on account of allergies--I haven't been around dogs in a few months, and I couldn't help but pet them!)

Game 1: Robz888 37 - 34 soulnet
Video:

Obvious Oracle/Potion opening here to get Familiar. The only trasher is Trade Route; Scheme makes Conspirator engine a possibility (and Familiar is good there), but not an awesome possibility. I'm first player, so I win the Curse war 6-4. I plan to just build a better deck, picking up more Conspirators and such. He spikes a Province, though and isn't in bad shape, altogether. We both go for Gardens. The big difference in our decks is that I stop to pick up 2 very valuable Trade Routes, whereas he gets a Margrave. I deride his Margrave as useless, but he actually makes really good use of the extra buy there, and gets ahead in the deck-size total for Gardens. Whoever bought the last Duchy would have won, but he only had $4, so I take the victory in what was otherwise a strategic tie. He really should have grabbed a Trade Route instead of a late-game Silver, though.

Game 2: soulnet 45 - 58 Robz888
Video:

The 5/2 opening is a little strange here. Margrave is obvious, but Duchess? I take it; he doesn't. He gets a second round of 5/2, which is probably pretty bad (I think you want Silvers and Worker's Villages). His second $5 is really unique. He buys a Duchy, picks up a Duchess, and buys a Copper. Yes, Gardens is hanging around. I get $5 again, too, but I opt to pick up a second Margrave, planning on playing Margrave/Worker's Village draw. I figure I can get enough Provinces that way so as to render his Gardens unimportant. This works out basically as planned, I take a few Provinces, and then actually split the Gardens with him 4-4. I think he buys something else instead of Gardens at least once (Duchy, maybe?). In the end, he just didn't execute his plan successfully, and I take an easy win.

Game 3: soulnet 32 - 43 Robz888
Video:

This was a really swingy Black Market game. I think I made some better choices: He got a lot of Treasuries, Golds, and didn't trash, whereas I went for more Highways and heavy trashing. But the big thing was that I pulled a fairly early Goons out of the BM. He did get King's Court but somehow only got to play it once. I also pulled a Fairgrounds that ended up being worth 6 VP. So, thanks Black Market.

Game 4: soulnet 39 - 36 Robz888
Video:

We both constructed simple Hunting Party + Steward decks. His early Steward draws were better, allowing him much nicer trashing. He cleared out all his Estates and way more Copper than me. Of course, Hunting Party doesn't need so much trashing, and as we Province dance and then Duchy Dance, I wonder if my extra Estates might actually cost him the game. But he buys the last Duchy to pull ahead by 3 points; I counter with the second-last Province. Unfortunately, he gets to $8 again before I do. It was a straightforward game, but he played it well.

Game 5: Robz888 14 - 42 soulnet
Video:

I get disastrous Chapel luck here, while he trashes everything in like 5 seconds. We have identical plans--Highway/Woodcutter--but man, all his Coppers and Estates are gone instantly. I make some lame last minute attempt to go for Fairgrounds and Vineyards instead, but this game was essentially over on Turn 3. Kudos to him, though, for identifying what was undoubtedly the best strategy.

Game 6: Robz888 53 - 32 soulnet
Video:

This was an excellent game. I'm quite proud of my play here. Young Witch with Trade Route as the Bane; we both open Silver/YW. Minion is available, but the other $5s don't seem great. The $4 range has Worker's Village, Monument, Envoy, Remake. We both get Remake, obviously, and we start racing for Minions. He gets more Remakes than I do--doing Remake-Remake into Minion at one point--and keeps a tighter deck. I pick up Worker's Villages instead, and for a few turns, I feel like the village idiot. But then I make good use of them by going heavy on the Monuments. He doesn't know what to do with his $6 hands after the Minions are gone, and picks up 3 Golds, which is a mistake, I suspect. The result is that I move through my deck very nicely, playing WV/Monument and then discarding with Minions and buying Provinces. I build a nice lead, so he has to buy Monuments of his own to catch up. We drain Duchies and I claim a decisive victory.

I had a nice chat going with my opponent, who seems like a very cool person. Thanks for an awesome series, soulnet!

Next week: Stef?! or Slayer of Stef.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »
+3

Slayer of Stef.

I like the sound of that.

(I also like winning the lottery, having three Lamborghinis, and two chicks at the same time, all of which are about as likely.)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:45 pm »
+8

Slayer of Stef.

I like the sound of that.

(I also like winning the lottery, having three Lamborghinis, and two chicks at the same time, all of which are about as likely.)

Here you go:

I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:36 pm »
+3

Round 2: jonts26 vs Cuzz

jonts26 wins 4-2

A good set. The last couple of games being very close. Thanks for playing Cuzz. If you only want to read one game here, read game 6. It was awesome.

Game 1: jonts26 42:28 Cuzz
Mostly boring bridge/FG game. First turn advantage proves quite useful.

Game 2: jonts26 25:51 Cuzz
I've talked about how I overplay double tact here, and really I have grand plans which all go to hell, partially due to terrible luck. Either way, my plan sucked. And I got unlucky. And the game was lopsided.

Game 3: jonts26 46:27 Cuzz
Market, Highway, Upgrade, Masq, Mandarin 5/2 starts. This one was a lot closer than the score suggests. I also got a bit luckier. I kept wanting to get a possession, but I was doing rather well and just built up and then dipped into provinces. Had I been behind I probably would have made a play for it.

Game 4: jonts26 a little:a lot Cuzz
I forgot the log here. Basically a familiar, governor board where I drew $2P on turn 5. gg.

Game 5: jonts26 46:42 Cuzz
I'm pretty sure I played this terribly. But I got good luck in blocking Young Witch with steward, so I was able to squeak out a win.

Game 6: jonts26 42:40 Cuzz
Ok this is by far the most interesting game of the set. I open remake/scheme to his remake/silver, which should be the better open. Then it's festivals, caravans, torturers, and both vineyards and colonies for points. Oh and an outpost which was super useful. I thought about vineyards and decided to pass because they would not get up to colony points. But at the same time, they are easier to amass with all the extra buys floating around. Cuzz get a handful of potions and gets busy. He gets a crazy good turn 15, but juuuuust short of being able to end it on piles. Going into my turn 15, I'm down 40 to 19. I had finally bought an apprentice on turn 14. So turn 15 I draw my deck, buy 2 colonies and trash a curse to bring us ot even. And then on my outpost turn, I apprentice a colony to draw my deck, remake a bank and a torturer into a province and a gold, which I then draw, and have 4 buys and $22 which is just enough to buy another province, the last 2 festivals and the last scheme to win by 2. Great game.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »
+2

Here's the missing log from my match with jonts.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/14/game-20121214-115541-39cc4553.html

Many thanks to jonts. Great, fun match.

jonts's last turn(s) in the last game was seriously something to behold.

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
+2

dondon151 defeats Slyfox in a 4-2 match:

Game #1: dondon151 42, Slyfox 24 --- 15 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-070913-7c3d28f5.html
Key cards: Fool's Gold, Wharf, Steward
Dondon151 opened silver/silver going for Wharf + Fool's Gold.  I went Steward/Silver, tried to pick up some Fool's gold (too early?), thus didn't draw $5 until turn 7, resulting in an easy win for dondon151.

0-1

Game #2: Slyfox 13, dondon151 resigned --- 11 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-071934-2a87c98f.html
Key cards: Ironworks/Islands, Chapel, Torturer, Hamlets
We both open Ironworks/Chapel, and dondon151 goes all-in on Ironworks (collected nine of them) going for a quick three-pile ending after winning the Island race.  I went for a Hamlet/Torturer engine, which was just fast enough to allow me to pick up a Province to take the lead on turn 11, after which dondon151 resigns.  If I had not picked up the Province, he would have piled out Hamlet's on the next turn, so this was a close game (and probably a lucky win for me).

1-1

Game #3: dondon151 47, Slyfox 17 --- 15 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-073642-f1b4aa64.html
Key cards: University, Tournament, Laboratories, Vault, Horn of Plenty
With lots of good actions, we both went University.  I draw $2 for turn 3, so after the first four turns, I'm behind by a silver.  I picked up a second potion along the way, with the hope of picking up more universities, but this was probably a mistake.  He wins the Laboratory split 7/3.  I did win the first Tourament (picking up Followers), but it wasn't enough to overcome his much stronger deck, including effective use of Horns of Plenty in the endgame.

1-2

Game #4: dondon151 45, Slyfox 28 --- 24 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-075952-5c857246.html
Key cards: Hunting Party, Mountebank, Scheme, Tactician
We basically mirror until our first $5, in which he make the superior selection of Mountebank (to pair with an earlier Scheme purchase) vs my choice of Tactician.  The game slogs along without too much interesting except for some Farmland endgame buys.

1-3

Game #5: Slyfox 53, dondone151 --- 29 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-081132-e755c70f.html
Key cards: Sea Hag, Embassy, Fishing Village, Fool's Gold
I decide for two early Sea Hags (opening FV/Sea Hag/FV) and use Embassy to win the curse split 7/3.  Dondon151 buys a Cartographer for $5 on turn 3, passing up Embassy which I purchase on turn 6.  With curses flying, I'm still able to purchase a Platinum on turn 12.  With the stronger deck, I'm able to drain the Colony pile first.

2-3

Game #6: dondon151 32, Slyfox 14 --- 19 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-081854-71b6af3e.html
Key cards: Ill-Gotten Gains, Gardens, Swindler, Smithy
Clearly an IGG+Gardens rush board.  In the opening, I buy Smithy, an inferior choice to dondon151's Swindler.  I purchase Gardens too early with $4 hands on turn 3 and turn 5, which delays me from hitting $5 for IGGs, so I'm only able to purchase 3 IGGs to dondon1t1's 5 IGGs.  Losing a Garden to Swindler didn't help me either.  An easy win for dondon151 to take the match.

2-4

So, not my best play overall, I made some sloppy choices, and there was only a single game (game #5) that I won decisively with one or maybe two others close and the remaining solid victories for dondon151. 

I'd welcome any comments or suggetsions, especially if someone notices some especially egregious mistakes that I failed to mention above.

Thanks to dondon151 for the games and for the chat afterwards.  Thanks again to the organiziers for putting this all together.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2012, 12:58:35 pm »
+1

(11) dondon151 wins the set against (22) Slyfox, 4-2

Set rules: PCE on, dondon151 gets first player in game 1 (higher location in bracket).
We agreed to veto mode and identical starting hands but I forgot to check it for the first game. Both of us got some sort of 4/3 split though, so we continued onwards. I delegated game proposal to Slyfox afterwards so that I wouldn't keep fudging up the game setting.

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-070913-7c3d28f5.html
Bureaucrat, City, Fool's Gold, Harvest, Herbalist, Ill-Gotten Gains, Noble Brigand, Steward, Wharf, and Wishing Well

dondon151 42 - 24 Slyfox

Wharf-FG with fluff on the sides. Slyfox opened with a Steward to thin Coppers and Estates, but I thought that it would be too slow: Steward makes it harder to get Wharf, can become more or less dead later on, and getting Wharf later puts one at risk of losing the FG split. I could have won the FG split but decided to just get more Wharves instead. Slyfox didn't regain the momentum lost by early trashing and I won this one handily.

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-071934-2a87c98f.html
Chapel, Colony, Counting House, Governor, Hamlet, Ironworks, Island, Pawn, Platinum, Thief, Torturer, and Wishing Well

dondon151 (resigned) - 13 Slyfox

Chapel into Hamlet/Torturer was an obvious strategy, with possibly Thief to throw a wrench in one's plans. For some reason I panicked a little bit when Slyfox gained Island with his IW and I just went into a straight IW/Island rush. This was a terrible, terrible decision that I instantly regretted, and though I won the Island split 5-3, Slyfox just needed to grab any sort of VP in addition to the 3 Curses that he gave me in order to win. I had hoped that my opponent would pass on the VP buy on his last turn (letting me pile out the Hamlets for a win), but I couldn't expect that out of a high-leveled opponent, and with a deck that could not possibly go anywhere else, I resigned.

Game 3: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-073642-f1b4aa64.html
Council Room, Golem, Horn of Plenty, Laboratory, Outpost, Potion, Tournament, Tunnel, University, Vault, and Workshop

dondon151 47 - 17 Slyfox

We opened 5/2 and I strongly considered going Vault/Tunnel. However, the megaturn potential here was pretty strong, if not unwieldy. We both open Potion/nothing and University into Labs; however, Slyfox gained a Vault early on and bought a second Potion and a Tunnel, which I think were mistakes. First player advantage in addition to the University decisions allowed me to win the Lab split. I started drawing huge hands and picking up Golems and HoPs, whereas Slyfox bought, in my opinion, too many Universities. My turn 14 culminated in a 5-Province megaturn and the rest of the game was more or less a formality.

Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-075952-5c857246.html
Bishop, Farming Village, Farmland, Hunting Party, Loan, Mountebank, Quarry, Scheme, Tactician, and Talisman

dondon151 45 - 28 Slyfox

This was a slog of a game, but still fairly interesting. I planned on getting Mountebank with my first $5 and then hitting the HPs, but the possibility of a double Tactician engine that used Bishop for VP weighed on my mind the entire game and made me adverse to an HP-Mountebank deck. Ultimately I think I made the correct decision by focusing on the HPs (winning the split 6-4 despite being player 2) and getting earlier Farming Village and Gold. Quite frequently both Slyfox and I topdecked Tacticians with Scheme, but we never played them, which I think was a mistake.

Game 5: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-081132-e755c70f.html
Cartographer, City, Colony, Embassy, Festival, Fishing Village, Fool's Gold, Hoard, Mint, Platinum, Sea Hag, and Workshop

dondon151 35 - 53 Slyfox

Sea Hag was a must, and this would play out to be a long game because of Colonies. Slyfox opened FV, which I thought was not as good of an opening as Silver because there weren't good terminals to chain and because Embassy can draw FV dead but not Silver. I picked up a Cartographer on the reshuffle whereas Slyfox got a second Sea Hag. Here is where I think the fallacy of my Silver opening showed, because I ended up losing the Curse split 3-7 and the Cartographer didn't help me at least make the split 4-6 (which I would not have minded if I only had 1 Sea Hag to Slyfox's 2). I ended up drawing a lot of bad hands in the earlygame where I should have bought FGs but bought nothing instead, and Slyfox gets to Platinum and Colony first. Still a surprisingly close game despite the Curse disparity.

Game 6: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-081854-71b6af3e.html
Council Room, Counting House, Gardens, Herbalist, Highway, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mine, Smithy, Swindler, and Warehouse

dondon151 32 - 14 Slyfox

I had hoped for a more exciting possibly-the-last-game kingdom. This was definitely not it. IGG-Gardens wins the day; Slyfox mysteriously doesn't open with Swindler, my Swindlers hit one of his Gardens, and we would have split the Gardens 4-4 anyway because Slyfox had trouble hitting $4 due to the Curses, letting me grab a couple more IGGs. Curses pile out unevenly due to Swindler, but I didn't care because my deck was in a better shape, plus I got a lucky shuffle where all of my good cards clumped at the top and allowed me to get 2 Provinces. Knowing that I had a bunch of crap at the bottom, I slowly piled out the 6 remaining Estates instead of the 2 remaining IGGs while Slyfox could do nothing but watch.

Much thanks to Slyfox for the series and for the enlightening conversation that we had afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:59:55 am by dondon151 »

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2012, 03:14:32 pm »
+1

Round 3: mith 4-1 A-D

Game 1: mith 44-27 A-D
Game 2: A-D 34-47 mith
Game 3: A-D 81-59 mith
Game 4: mith 27-20 A-D
Game 5: A-D 26-47 mith

Game 1 - Nasty Tournament game with Militia and Ghost Ship (I typed Ghost Stories initially, obviously my brain is wanting to play that now...). Basically a mirror match with some deviation on the first shuffle but converging back to a similar build. The two attacks meant neither of us won a Tournament until turn 19, but I got a lead on Provinces and finally hit the Followers to wrap it up.

Game 2 - Sea Hag vs. Masquerade, with Governors. He gave up on his Sea Hag pretty quickly, turning it into a Duchy, but his opening gave me a slight lead in development, and I used the Governors to win another 6-2 split on Provinces. I wondered after the game whether Black Market might have been fast enough to pump up the Fairgrounds; I avoided it because I didn't want two terminals early, but it might have been worth it.

Game 3 - Pretty interesting Fairgrounds/Gardens game, with Highway and Market on board. In retrospect, I started greening too early and needed a Moneylender earlier for trashing Coppers - I think a pure Highway/Market engine would have done the trick here. As it was, I grabbed a Highway early instead of Gold, but since I didn't stick with the engine it was a bad buy, and it was inevitable that he would catch up before I could find a way to end it.

Game 4 - Silver/Warehouse vs. Silver/Silver on a Mountebank board... Inconclusive which was better, but he grabbed a Lookout which slowed him down a bit more and I was able to rush out to a big advantage in the Cities (or Citys, apparently). Had the game gone on longer I could have ramped up to buy Colonies pretty easily, but with two piles empty it was easy to finish off a third (Islands).

Game 5 - I opened Potion/Black Market with three good engine pieces (Golem, Alchemist, Scrying Pool). He countered with an Embargo of the Alchemist, and then the Golem, but the Scrying Pool was what I was really after. Market (and a Grand Market from the BM deck) for +Buys, BM and Merchant Ship for money, Border Village (and regular Village) for actions, and off we go. (An Embargo on the Scrying Pools would have be interesting, but with an Upgrade in the mix I think I would have been fine.)

Thanks for the series, A-D!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:20:23 pm by mith »

sm

• Pawn
    • View Profile
Round 3: sm defeats Beyond Awesome 4:3:1
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2012, 04:05:46 am »
+1

This was a very fun and close match.

Game 1:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-231246-00262e05.html
Beyond Awesome 22 sm 21
Beyond Awesome went for IGG + single Jack + green, I tried to diversify with multiple utility cards.

Game 2:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-231927-a76d4790.html
A tie 30/30.
I gambled that my ooponent would not be able to finish on his last turn, but extra cards from Governor made it easier for him.

Game 3:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-230354-94cce574.html
Beyond Awesome 67  sm 55
I was outplayed here - I could not stick to a single game plan and was punished.

Game 4:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-232551-5bc465d7.html
Sm 27 Beyond Awesome 25
My opponent could have won on piles but let me steal the victory.

Game 5:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-234211-34945e4a.html
Sm 16 Beyond Awesome 7
A slog of a game.
I won curses split and greened better.

Game 7:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-234803-683aa599.html
Beyond Awesome 52 sm 36
Beyond Awesome went for BM + smithy which was probably right.
I tried nv/smithy/mine/develop plan but it was too slow.

Game 8:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-235808-46a30c6e.html
Sm 26 Beyond Awesome 21
Probably the most interesting board of the whole match:
cards in supply: Adventurer, Apothecary, Apprentice, Explorer, Fool's Gold, Highway, King's Court, Potion, Rabble, Sea Hag, and Woodcutter
The game was rather long because of curses.
We both opened woodcutter/potion - I am still not sure it is better than sea hag/silver.
Beyond Awesome got most fool golds and started greening, I tried to build an engine with KC, highways and +buys, focusing on early apprentices.
Somehow it worked (and KCing the sea hag helped a bit).

I am not very sure about game order and I do not have a log for one game which I won (it featured moat, mountain bank, hop, apprentice, GM, baron and nomad camp).
I went for silver/baron, my opp - for silver/nomad camp and I got early edge getting $7 on first reshuffle (mountain camp + moat).
I managed to get a bunch of apprentices and a horn, trashed tightly, got most of GMs. I missed an opportunity to finish game on piles, but was far ahead (something like 20 to 5) and was lucky enough to finish next turn.

Beyond Awesome, please post the link to this game f you happen to have a log for this game (I think it was game #6).

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:08:11 am by sm »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:26 am »

Sorry SM, I am afraid I no longer have the logs. But, anyway, in game 6, you destroyed me big time. lol

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:59 am »
+1

Sorry SM, I am afraid I no longer have the logs. But, anyway, in game 6, you destroyed me big time. lol

you only need the logs if there is a dispute over the results, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

but if you ever opened them up to look at/copy/save them they are likely still in your browser history. with CR down i have gotten into the habit of doing so for each mildly interesting game, just opening the log up then closing it out. searching through my history for the game i want is easier than searching through the isotropic log dumps.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Zem

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49:23 am »
+1

Chapel Division, Round 3, Match AX,  Zem:4 - Dwenzel:3

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-071414-3b699fc3.html      Zem:47 - Dwenzel:24
cards in supply: Adventurer, Colony, Crossroads, Expand, Feast, Haven, Lighthouse, Minion, Platinum, Potion, Spice Merchant, Throne Room, and Transmute
We both opened Minion/lighthouse. I stayed exclusively with minions, while dwenzel also went for the platinums

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-072204-61c081c1.html      Dwenzel:23 - Zem:18
cards in supply: Bishop, Cache, Cellar, Haggler, Harem, Mint, Potion, Talisman, Village, Vineyard, and Workshop
we mirrored each other exactly here, opening workshop/talisman, planning to go for the vineyards. Dwenzel only got 2 vineyards, but won anyway by a good margin, thanks to his bishops and better deck quality overall.
In hindsight, I am not sure if this was a good vineyard set, perhaps a conventional strategy would have worked better.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-072955-5b3164fb.html    Dwenzel:34 - Zem:30
cards in supply: Bank, Harvest, Haven, Library, Moneylender, Monument, Navigator, Oasis, Pawn, and Steward
Libaries and oasis/pawn, basically. We both went for similar strategies, but Dwenzel also used a Stewart in addition to moneylender for some trashing.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-073900-0bc6aae6.html     Zem:48 - Dwenzel:32
cards in supply: Bank, Counting House, Highway, Inn, Ironworks, Navigator, Pawn, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Scheme, and Thief
I went for a highway/ironworks strategy,  got some really good shuffle luck in this one, drawing my ironwork and my highway together often enough to get a couple of free highways, and getting enough highways in a row on turn 9 for double provinces. After that, inn helped keep the thing going. Gaining an inn with ironworks when the draw pile is almost empty but you still have drawing actions left works wonders. Dwenzel ignored ironworks, opening silver/silver, but nevertheless got half the highways to keep them from me.
At the end, I had too much baggage to get more provinces, but was able to drain the duchies and estates.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-074959-a45aea1f.html      Zem:27 - Dwenzel:16
cards in supply: Apprentice, Bureaucrat, Crossroads, Cutpurse, Golem, Library, Lighthouse, Potion, Scrying Pool, Smugglers, and Village
Scrying pool, but no buy and no trashing besides apprentice. I got good use out of my lighthouses, giving my protection against the cutpurses as well as the scrying pools.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-080157-e57acd19.html     Dwenzel:39 - Zem:12
cards in supply: Ambassador, Bazaar, Great Hall, Highway, Island, Outpost, Possession, Potion, Quarry, Upgrade, and Walled Village
Ambassador, Island, Upgrade, Quarry, and a Possession! A recipe for disaster
We both opened Ambassador / Quarry anyway, knowing full well where this would end.
Dwenzel was faster with the ambassadoring, and managed to upgrade his ambassador before I got my possession. I did not, so he was able to take some duchies and great halls from me with possessed ambassador. On the other hand, I send a possession and some other good cards to his island, but overall these islands helped him far more than they hurt. At the end I was so far behind that I tried some desperation play where I bought further ambassadors, trying to ambassador him ambassadors to possess, which unsurprisingly did not work.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-081138-2784f957.html   Zem:36 - Dwenzel:30
cards in supply: Apothecary, Counting House, Fortune Teller, Golem, Haven, Jack of All Trades, Native Village, Nomad Camp, Potion, Steward, and Torturer
The all-deciding game, and it was a very close one.
I had 4/3, Dwenzel started with 2/5. We both went for native village/Jack of all trades either way, ignoring the Torturers.
We both used the same strategy, buying only nv, JoaT and Gold (and one Nomad Camp), and I had the first player advantage.

All in all this was some nerve-wrecking match, with close calls all around
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:19:35 pm by Zem »

mith

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:48 am »

We lost the epic 36-37 round 4 battle and the potential dwenzel vs. DWetzel final? I'm crushed.

sm

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2012, 12:31:49 am »

I found the missing game 6 vs Beyond Awesome log:
sm 30 beyond awesome 11
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/17/game-20121217-233530-6e6e4565.html

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »
+5

jonts26 vs axlemn

jonts26 4 - 3 axlemn

A really good series. Came down to a decisive game 7, which I thought was a really interesting kingdom.

Game 1: jonts26 43 - 74 axlemn
Governor/Colony game. Despite winning the governor split, I fall too far behind on points to catch up. I'm really not good with governor. With a really good draw I probably could have won on my last turn. Instead I had a horrible draw. Anyway, not that interesting a set.

Game 2: jonts26 36 - 49 axlemn
I play embassy/BM. He plays bishop/lookout into native village/embassy. I'm almost positive my strategy was a lot better here. And I had about the worst luck imaginable. I could have bought a 4th province on turn 16. But that would cause me to lose. So 4 provinces in 16 turns with embassy/BM with my opponents bishop to accelerate me. Yeah. Actually my turn 16 is pretty indicative of how that game went. Oh well.

jonts26 plays an Embassy.
... (jonts26 reshuffles.)
... drawing 5 cards.
... discarding 3 cards.
jonts26 plays a Silver, a Copper, and 4 Golds.
jonts26 buys a Duchy.

Game 3: jonts26 33 - 30 axlemn
I'm not sure what possessed me to try this. Normally, I'd be all about the big money here. But basically I played an Apprentice/Council Room/Ghost Ship/Highway/Shanty town/workshop engine. axle went more traditional ghost ship/big money. He tried picking up some apprentices to accelerate the game from his end but he fell just short. Anyway, apprentice and highway certainly anti-synergize. So I couldn't use it for draw that well. And shanty is a non-drawing village with all these actions. So basically it wasn't the most consistent thing. But I just needed one big turn and I got it just in time. Anyway, it was a fun engine to try and it worked.

Game 4: jonts26 31 - 28 axlemn
5/2 starts on a minion board. axle goes more traditional minion/BM. As second player, I'm not liking my odds. So I go crazy again. I do end up losing the minion split. I go with some super high variance university/apprentice/jester/swindler engine. I kept getting really nervous that I would swindle a province, which would have killed me. Luckily that did not happen and I squeak another win out.

Game 5: jonts26 39 - 23 axlemn
More minions and swindlers. 4/3 opens this time. As second player, I opt for high variance again and open swindler/swindler to his swindler/silver. And my gambit pays off big time. I have great draws and good swindles in the early game which slingshot me to a messy but fairly easy win. I also bought a stables at one point this game. Which was certainly a mistake.

Game 6: jonts26 18- 39 axlemn
We had similarish strategies. I'm sure we both regretted the 5/2 opens, but we dealt. University/Moneylender/Watchtower/Bazaar/Grand Market. I strike first on the GM's but he gets the watchtower draw part of his engine running first. I think that was the better way to go. He thins his copper faster and once he starts in on the GM's he already has several watchtowers and bazaars and is drawing most of his deck and loading up on more GM's. This game snowballed rather hard. Anyway he played it better and deserved the win.

Game 7: jonts26 28- 9 axlemn
Probably my favorite board here. Though that might just be my card-crush on vineyards. I freaking love that card. Anyway, the general strategy was obvious. Vineyards and a crap load of actions. Ironworks, Walled Village, Scheme, Remake, Cellar, Shanty Town, Monument, Horse Traders, Vineyards, Transmute. The only card not bought was transmute. We both open 5/2 on a bad board for it. Though interesting fact, neither of us would ever have $5 again. I'd have opened remake/scheme, but remake/cellar worked ok. I got my trashing in a bit better than he did, not sure if by luck or tactics. I was very aggressive on cycling to my remake as fast as possible. He got the first ironworks. I had to settle for remaking a scheme into one since I had passed the point where I'd ever draw $4 again. I wasn't liking my position in the midgame as he was loading up on ironworks a little better than me. And he got the first potion. But I did have the thinner deck. That's where we diverged a bit and I think I had the better idea. He started getting monuments. Which I think was wrong. This game is going to be decided by the vineyards split, not monument points. So I started getting villages which will help me cycle to potions faster. I considered a horse traders at this point, but decided double vineyards turns were unlikely so just stick with cantrips. I also get a second and third potion sooner, which was helpful. And finally, I think the real star of my deck was a single shanty town. No other card increased hand size. And I kept it on top with my scheme to aid with cycling. The only thing that could get in the way was my remake which I could cellar away. Anyway, I'm able to get a comfortable lead and start draining piles.

Well, that's that. Thanks for the series axlemn. It was fun.

mith

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2012, 06:50:27 pm »

My goal now is to get to the division final against jonts so that I can experience one of these insane last turns for myself.

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »
+1

From another perspective:
Game 1 is rather straightforward - he gets the 6 of the 6-4 Governor Split and I realize I'll lose if I don't do something. I attempt to spike some Plats fast.  I get 3 before he gets any. 

Game 2, I was aiming for a modified version of a Golden Deck that benefited from Embassy.  I really don't feel like this was particularly lucky on my part.  The Golden deck is built around preventing the sort of frustrating denial of endgame by VP chips around the same timing of a BM based deck.  BM doesn't really hate Coppers much, so the Bishop trashing was not as influential as it often is, and Embassy chokes really hard and often by turn 13-14 already. 

Game 3, not much to say.  Could have used the Apprentices sooner and turned the later couple into Duchies for the 3 points of difference. 

Game 4/5 Swindler...  Game 4, I ignored the University/Apprentice synergy, which lost it for me.  Game 5, I got Swindled, man...  He made the right choices here. 

Game 6, I was so, so happy to play this engine.  Watchtower is amazing with University. 

Game 7, on turn 5 he got in an extra Remake play with his Scheme, while my Scheme fell to later.  He ends up getting in 3 more Remake turns than I do, in part because he goes for Walled Villages.  I thought I was further behind when I tried Monuments as a silly desperation play.  The extra cycling from his 10 Walled Villages gives him a well-earned win.   

This was a high-adrenaline series.  Vineyards, Highway, Swindler, and Ghost Ship are the cards I have most trouble with, and I was surprised I could push it to a Game 7.  Thanks for the games! 

[p.s. To reply to an earlier question, I did get the Venture as a counter to Ghost Ship.  ]
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.