Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Chapel Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 81715 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Division: Brackets and Results
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2012, 01:44:20 pm »
+2

Our final match was a rather interesting one even though tournament was in there. We both opened 5/2, and some different angles were possible here. Either go up for money right away with Merchant Ship, or go for a great drawing engine with Hunting Party, or start improving the deck with an Upgrade? My opponent went for Merchant Ship/Herbalist, which I consider by now a classic mistake. Never buy herbalists for less then $11. I opened Upgrade/-. He did not get to $8 fast enough, and then my deck got so small that I got two prices of my first province right away. This must have frustrated him somewhat, because all of a sudden he was gone.

Is there a reason you don't at least pick up Princess on turn 11? I can see skipping Duchy and Diadem in a Hunting Party deck, but the +Buy still seems really good.

This has a lot to do with the state of the game. If it still was a close match by then, I almost certainly would have wanted to get the princess. But it wasn't close anymore, not by a long shot. At that point I just want to play safe, and ask myself 'now how could this possibly still go wrong?'.

The safe thing to do there seems to be to keep playing the followers, and using the steward for further cleaning house and getting rid of the incoming estates. At that point I only had one card that said +actions, and 2 terminals already. So getting the princess would stop me at least a turn from playing steward.

Off course I could go & solve that problem with bazaars. I can't really call that a bad move or anything. It's just not my style. This would have made the deck stronger on an average draw, but also make the worst case scenario worse. When ahead, play safe. When behind, play bold.
Join the Dominion League!

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »

My opponent and I may decide that today would be the best time to play our round-2 match, though the schedule says that technically Round 2 starts tomorrow.  Is that fine? 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2012, 04:22:19 pm »
+4

Round 2: mith 4-3 First

Game 1: First 6-3 mith
Game 2: mith 46-29 First
Game 3: First 43-43 mith
Game 4: First 30-22 mith
Game 5: mith 30-18 First
Game 6: First 12-resigned mith
Game 7: mith 43-27 First
Game 8: First 32-38 mith

Game 1 - TR/Bridge with Festivals/Courtyards for the main engine (and Crossroads and Vault to supplement). A bit of bad shuffle luck for me coupled with some incoherent building once I knew I was behind, and he three piled turn 12 before I ever had much of a chance to get going.

Game 2 - Sea Hag, transitioning into Labs+BM for the most part. First shuffle was likely decisive here, as I got a second Sea Hag and a Silver vs. his Lab/nothing. Curses still split 5/5, as did the Labs, but I got to the first Gold and Platinum and started buying out Provinces before he could catch me with Colonies.

Game 3 - Baron+BM with slightly different approaches, as I used Scheme to keep mine in play more and he grabbed a Fortune Teller and a Venture. I had a brief lead, but he was able to hit 7 to grab Duchy+Estate before I could split the Estates in my favor the next turn, and we tied.

Game 4 - Golem was a waste of time here, and I'm not sure why I thought it was relevant. Border Village/Vault/Menagerie is the build here, and he wisely bought a Contraband early with so many engine pieces on board. I got my engine going a turn too late, and was missing a +Buy until that point anyway.

Game 5 - Salvager rush, and I hit the turn 3 Gold. He started Moneylender before transitioning to Salvager; I like my chances even without the lucky shuffle, but I won't be complaining about my luck in this match...

Game 6 - I identified Goons/Farming Village as the obvious way to go... and then bought IGG anyway on the 5/2 split (with Chapel). Shame on me. My main problem here is that Militia/Goons has such a strong first player advantage, but that doesn't excuse what I tried...

Game 7 - Double Witches to start with... Not sure how I won this one, really, as he had the early advantage of a turn 6 Gold, and the Curses split evenly. I did get a Worker's Village turn 6 to (in theory) help my card draw, but naturally on the next shuffle it came up alone with my Witches colliding the following turn. He grabbed a Mint and an Embassy, which might have overloaded him with terminals, and after that I was able to split the Duchies in my favor.

Game 8 - Both of us went heavy on Treasuries here. First picked up an Expand and later a Trade Route (with two alternate victory cards), while I grabbed Farmlands to make my Provinces cost $6. This could have gone either way (that Expand in particular was scary), but I was able to hold on for a 4/4 split with my extra green cards making the difference.

Thanks for the series, First!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:24:06 pm by mith »

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2012, 04:25:04 pm »
+1

Oh, that is a surprise. Well played, mith. Grats!

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:11 pm »
+1

My opponent and I may decide that today would be the best time to play our round-2 match, though the schedule says that technically Round 2 starts tomorrow.  Is that fine?

Not my bracket but yes. You can start early.

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »
+2

I played very well in the games I won with engines, but poorly on those I lost with cursers/BM. Anyway, congrats for advancing to the next round.

Game 1: Courtyard > Bridge, which allowed me to end game on piles.
Game 2: Sea Hag, ugh. And when I look back I realize Gold is better than Lab here.
Game 3: A hand with Baron and 4 Coppers has haunted me, so I decided to not risk with Baron/Scheme. It was a tie, so I don't have much to say.
Game 4: Menagerie, my favorite card. I set up neatly and managed to have two double Province turns.
Game 5: Salvager vs. Moneylender opening. Turn 3 Gold was the deciding factor, since there were no $5 cards.
Game 6: mith pretty much sums it up.
Game 7: Mint. That's it. I don't know why I bought it. mith's viillages did nothing, but my Mint purchase was worse.
Game 8: This made me confused.
Expand turn 8? I planned to Expand Treasury to Province but never got a chance. Maybe I should have bought Province right away.
Farmland? got a chance to buy one turn 14, but didn't see that Gold anyway.

mith played well in mediocre games (in which I have to admit I'm not good at.) Good luck with the rest of this tournament
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:50:32 pm by first »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2012, 04:50:51 pm »
+1

Argh First, you were one of my picks for this bracket!!

I'm not angry, just disappointing....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »

I played very well in the games I won with engines, but poorly on those I lost with cursers/BM. Anyway, congrats for advancing to the next round.

[snip]

mith played well in mediocre games (in which I have to admit I'm not good at.) Good luck with the rest of this tournament

Yeah, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. This wouldn't have been a huge upset last year (I was a 6 seed), but I haven't played much in the meantime, and the rust has definitely affected my engine building instincts more than the rest of my game.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2012, 05:59:41 pm »
+3

Robz888 defeats Kayo 4-0 in Round 2 of the tournament. Though it was a sweep, each game was a nail biter, and I basically stole what should have been his victory at least once, possibly twice, maybe even three times. These were really great games, and I did record them all! Check them out. Really cool series.

Kayo seems like a very nice person; I would have been fuming if I were him in a couple of those games. A few slightly different shuffles or decisions, and these 4 games probably could have gone 2-2.

Game 1: Robz888 60 - 52 Kayo
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-131903-81c4c635.html
Youtube video:

We both get 5/2, and Vault/Crossroads seems obvious. The presence of Great Halls (and Fairgrounds) boost Crossroads above Courtyard here, I think. My plan is to get Workshop for Great Halls and use Crossroad mass-draw power to Vault everything. I do not buy a single Silver or Gold, nor any Card worth virtual coin (except Vault). Woah. How often does that work? I think I have below-average luck getting this off the ground, though I do get like 7 GHs or something. Meanwhile my opponent has 3 Golds and a fairly conventional Vault BM deck, supplemented by Crossroads. Fairgrounds is definitely a boost for my deck, but I don't really have time to get them to 6 VP. Well, Kayo stalls out really badly, and we are trading Fairgrounds, Duchies, and Estates. He has the option to take the tie but doesn't. Then he has a turn where he plays all 3 Golds with no Vault, and I know there is no other way for him to buy Provinces. So I break PPR and wait. And wait. And wait. And yes, I get to my next CR-GHs-Vault hand before he gets Vault-Gold. Very tense.

Game 2: Kayo 42 - 45 Robz888
Log: Oops, don't have it
Youtube video:

Our only Colony game, looks like Grand Market/Highway/Hunting Party is the way to go, but Swindler could really mess that up. I go for Spice Merchant/Swindler, whereas I think he makes a mistake in going SM/Silver and delaying a Swindler until his next turn. I do misplay--probably?--getting 1 Highway before my first Hunting Party. He gets a very early Grand Market and I start to worry. But then he over-buys Hunting Parties, as I plug away at the Highways and GMs. I end up with a lot more buying power, while he has better draw. Of course at this point, a 3 pile ending is close at hand. I have the option of buying out the Estates for the win, but I neglect to notice it. Thankfully it comes around again, and I take the win. Despite the score, this was actually the least close game. My deck really was in better shape. FWIW, neither of our Swindlers ever hit at the $5 level, but I did switch like 3 of his GMs into Golds... which did hurt, I think, in his HP-based deck.

Game 3: Kayo 35 - 36 Robz888
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-134250-2ccd369c.html
Youtube video:

There's very little going on in this Kingdom. I notice that Horn of Plenty mega-deck is probably viable because of Ironworks, and lots of spammable cards (Shanty Town, Hamlet, City). But the thing is, none of the cards (except level 3 cities) have virtual cash. So the HoP deck is either going to succeed, or fail miserably. And I don't trust myself with it. So I'm not doing it. The other thing here is probably Chapel into Explorer, which I know is one of Explorer's best case scenarios. I open Ironworks/Chapel, not really committing to anything, and he does a straightforward Silver/Chapel. My Chapel misses, he gets an early Explorer and his Province, and I expect that that will be the end. When he buys his first two Provinces before me, I actually consider resigning. He has more points and his deck is better. Now, what happens? I'm not quite sure. His Cities are useless, I guess. Maybe he mis-buys or mis-plays some other stuff? I break PPR again because I have no other choice, he misses, and a little bit of strategic Farmlanding gives me the 8 VP I need for the win. In hindsight, I guess I had Shanty Town-Hamlet going for me, so my Shanty Towns were more reliably Laboratories. Still...

Game 4: Kayo 43 - 52 Robz888
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-135612-96de81e7.html
Youtube video:

With 3 of the necessary 4 wins under my belt, I decide to be Mr. Straightforward and play Wharf Big Money. Do you even want Spice Merchant for Wharf Big Money? Well, I decided to, anyway. He gets a Tactician and a Haggler and some Caravans, and that starts to look promising. We go back and forth, getting money and points, and he sneaks a Potion somewhere to start collecting Vineyards. This is a smart play for him, since we actually drain the Duchies entirely instead of breaking PPR. I have a lead, but Vineyard is like his own private Duchy supply. It doesn't really come to that, though, as my Wharf deck still generates enough cash to get a Province and then the last one without having to worry too much.

Thank so much to Kayo for the fun set! He played very well (except those Cities in Game 3, and too many HPs in Game 2 I think), and the series was much closer than it appears.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kayo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2012, 07:30:11 pm »

Here's the log for game 2:  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-133425-b7c5d03d.html

Here, I may have had too many Hunting Parties; I did overdraw several times.  I also failed to notice for several shuffles that you'd Swindled my Swindler, which didn't help.  My thinking with the Cities in game 3 was that they would help HoP be worth enough to snag an extra Duchy or two; and if those Duchies (or any other pile) ever ran out, yay for me because the Cities would be Labs.  Obviously that didn't work out, and you are completely right that the HoP screwed me over.  I should have gotten another Explorer, although my deck was working great until the HoP turned up.  **note to self**

I thought my weakest game was the last.  Wharf was the better card here, especially if I wanted to go for Vineyard; it would be a shame to have to choose between discarding a Potion or not utilizing the Tactician.  And I should have committed to Vineyards if I wanted to use them, rather than buying some early Provinces and bringing the end of the game closer.  This clearly wasn't the best spread for Vineyard (given the lack of $2 and $3) but the bigger problem was that I didn't play it very well.

Anyway, they were all very fun games, and well worth the playing.  Thanks to Robz888 for the set!

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2012, 01:18:18 am »
+1

Round 2

axlemn defeats jaybeez, 4-3

Rules: official point counter enabled, no Chrome PCE, no veto mode, identical starting hands.

This was a terrific match.  All but one of the games were (relatively) closely contested and Game 7 was a spectacular finale, a very close, hard-fought game centering around Ghost Ship that went right down to the wire.  We also went back-and-forth the whole way, the only consecutive wins/losses were Games 6 and 7.  A thrill, a delight, and even though I lost I still feel great about these games: I played pretty well against a higher-level opponent, and pulled off (if I may say so) an amazing upset in Game 5, which was probably my most exciting win ever.

A big thanks to axlemn for this great match!  I wish him good luck in the next round (look at the bracket and you'll see why).

Game 1
jaybeez 41 - axlemn 31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-181812-a259400d.html

We both admitted afterwards that we didn't really know what we were doing here.  My deck worked better than I expected, and axlemn ended up going for Fairgrounds, but ended the game with 14 cards, although it would actually not have made a difference.  I'm not completely sure how I won this game.  My only observations are that I think my Spy helped me make better use of my Native Villages (and the Hunting Parties helped me line them up a few times), and we also agreed that his Scrying Pool buy was probably a mistake.  But those two things seem like minor factors in the overall game.  *Shrug*

Game 2
axlemn 19 - jaybeez 9
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-183101-6df8db94.html

My big mistake was buying Platinum on T10 (I should have gone Wharf-Conspirator or double-Conspirator I think).  I also gamble with a NV play on my last turn (T12) and end up tucking away the Plat, but can't draw it back when my last NV isn't in the next 5 cards I draw with two Wharves and a Conspirator.  Turns out it was the very next card (!) and I discard it with my Loan.  (My mantra: "Dominion giveth and Dominion taketh away.")  He three-piles the next turn, and probably my Achilles heel in Dominion, more than anything else, is being ambushed by three-pile endings because I'm not planning well.  Also, axlemn said Wharf is his best card, and I don't doubt it, I think he used it to very good effect here, certainly far better than me.

Game 3
jaybeez 43 - axlemn 33
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-184320-cf075840.html

I go for a simpler strategy here: I open Monument (which I love to do) and Haven, my thought being that the Haven can hopefully give me a turn where I can tuck away a Copper or the Monument to give me a $2-3 hand to grab another Haven so I can start adding Monuments (and maybe a Jester), and then maybe get a Gold on the next hand with the extra Copper from Haven.  Wishful thinking, I know.  I think just a Silver would have been better at that point and the "plan" didn't get me an early Gold anyway... but it worked out okay because I ended up having two Monuments and a Jester smoothed out by four Havens, two of which I had before the second reshuffle, and as I recall I only had one terminal collision all game.  The cycling and smoothing from the Havens allowed me to get 9 VP from my Monuments in 14 turns, which pretty much sealed the win, although I had the edge in Victory cards too, by two Duchies.  I think my kind of pseudo-money strategy was just generally better on this board, and the Monuments were the icing on the cake.

Game 4
axlemn 45 - jaybeez 18
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-185511-eb444780.html

This was the game I mentioned that was not close at all, it pretty much ended on T4.  We both opened Masq/Silver.  On T3, axelmn buys his first Minion, without playing Masq; I buy a Bishop, thinking that I want it now to start trimming my deck, and then as I accumulate Border Villages and Minions I could play that and one Margrave along the way as I cycled through my Minions.  Then I draw 5 Coppers for T4, but axlemn plays a Masq and passes me an Estate, and I have to settle for another Silver.  He gets a Minion that turn, BV+Margrave on T5, Minions on T6 and T7, and BV+Minion on T8.  Meanwhile, all I've been able to buy is Silver, and on T8 I have $6 and decide to get a Gold and transition to a Masq-BM strategy because he already has five of the Minions.  And Masq-BM doens't seem to work that well against a deck of 9 Minions that also can hit you with Margrave-Masq, in that order.  This one hurt, but I take consolation in the fact that it was some good early luck for axlemn that snowballed very quickly more than any mistakes I might have made (although to be fair to axlemn, the game snowballed so fast because he leveraged that early advantage skillfully).

Game 5
jaybeez 32 - axlemn 16
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-190407-50f98b75.html

I don't know how much of this was luck, how much was skill, and how much it was just the incredible power of Hunting Party, but this was probably the best win I've ever pulled off, as I said above.  I thought the board actually looked kind of interesting, because there were what appeared to me to be a few different ways to transition out of the Sea Hag war.  We both open Sea Hag/Silver, I buy on Silver on T3, then for his T3, axlemn Sea Hags my Sea Hag.  I concluded that I had to focus on at least getting an even Curse split, so I bought nothing but Silvers and Hunting Parties, and just hammered away with my Hag.  I ended up winning the Curse split 6-4, and I finished the game with 8 Hunting Parties, picking up two Remodels which, with the help of all those HPs, allows me to trash all my Curses for Estates (the clogging effects of which are greatly mitigated by that wonderful HP stack) and my Hag for a Duchy towards the end of the game.  I get a Province on T22 and just get Duchies from there, winning on piles with HPs, Curses, and Duchies gone.  An exhilirating game, I'll remember this one for a long time, mostly because I was so sure I had no chance when my Hag got flipped on T3.

Game 6
axlemn 35 - jaybeez 24
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-191843-df727269.html

Despite the score, this was a very close game, a real nailbiter.  I think one reason I lost was that I made some suboptimal buys early in the game: I don't think I should have bought a second Jester on T3, and I probably should have bought a Silver on T4 or T5 instead of getting Caravans on both those turns.  By the time I buy a Goons, axlemn has three and has already had a multi-Goons turn.  I'm playing from behind for a while, but then manage to get within a couple points mostly thanks to an improbable T15 where I'm able to play all five of my Hamlets and discard for extra buys with each of them, playing a Goons, buying an Estate and five Coppers for a +7 VP gain.  The game sort of teetered for a few turns, with the score very close, the piles very low, one of those "next guy with the big turn wins" situations.  That was axlemn, who had a double-Goons turn on T18, and was able to buy a Duchy, the last Estate, and two Coppers to finish strong.

Game 7
axlemn 42 - jaybeez 38
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/09/game-20121209-192846-cd4ecc10.html

I thought about going Scrying Pool here, sort of as a Ghost Ship counter, but the lack of +Buy and any trashing whatever dissuaded me.  I decided to open Courtyard/Silver, trying to sort of do a Coutryard-BM thing (which I love to play), sort of hybridized with Ghost Ship-BM, with Havens to grease the gears.  I feel like it worked at first but then started to stall out.  Afterwards, axlemn suggested that more Havens would have probably been better than the second Courtyard I bought, and I think he's right, the delayed handsize boost of Haven helps work around the Ghost Ships better than Courtyard.  Courtyard smooths hands while Haven takes resources from one hand to concentrate them in the next.  And with Ghost Ship, sometimes you kinda need to do the bad hand-good hand seesaw to get things done when you're getting hit often enough.

But my strategy didn't exactly crash and burn, the game could have gone either way until the very end.  I lost by 4 VP, and had a hand of Duchy/Courtyard/G/S/C (no Haven in play), with Duchies gone, when axlemn bought the last Province to win it.  And on that turn, his Venture hit a Gold, which gave him $9.  To be fair, his deck had a ton of Silvers (7), and two Golds, and he had three Coppers in hand.  But still, there was no trashing, and had that Venture hit a Copper, I very well might have won.  A dramatic finish to a great game.

Which brings me to a question for axlemn that I forgot to ask after this game: why Venture?  Ghost Ship counter I assume?  I feel like Venture's always a bad buy when there's no trashing, but obviously it worked out, even though when you played them after a Ghost Ship hit, you weren't able to discard Victory cards either time.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:26:43 am by jaybeez »

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2012, 01:24:23 am »
+2

Go fellow axle! You can go the distance!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Zem

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:54 am »

second round match Zem:4 - EgorK:0

Thanks for the games!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-081608-072a3a27.html 52:30
Margrave-Walled Village. I got a some good uses out of my smuggler.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-083652-fddc44d2.html 51:45
Ill-Gotten Gains vs Watchtower. With Mint and Aprentice, but absolutely no buy. (so neither of us went for the alchemists)
No buy meant I had to get pretty lucky at the end to catch up with the last two colonies.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-082807-7d8835ba.html 5:0
Minion-Conspirator-Warehouse chains with a witch

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-082001-1e8fde5f.html 32:27
a Hoard feast, with island, harem, remodel.

rules: official counter, no pce, identical starting hands, random sets
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:51:56 am by Zem »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »
+1

Slyfox and I have scheduled our match for Saturday morning, but we may need an extension if we can't finish it then. Just a heads up.

wesphys

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2012, 03:30:00 pm »
+2

Slyfox and I have scheduled our match for Saturday morning, but we may need an extension if we can't finish it then. Just a heads up.

I play the winner of this match.  I don't need to start round 3 ASAP or anything, so that's fine from my standpoint.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »
+3

I asked yaron to post the results of our match, but then I was too hyped up from the games to not jot down my thoughts anyway. So:

yaron 4-3 ycz6

yaron 30-22 ycz6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-104149-60fa88fc.html
Competing Chapel/Farming Village/Courtyard engines with Cartographer. I got an Outpost and Woodcutter and delayed greening, which meant yaron got three Provinces before my first, but I caught up by turn 11. After that it was pretty much a coin flip for the last Province.

ycz6 27-38 yaron
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-105205-e8e3ad6b.html
We both went Masquerade into Peddler/Apprentice/Festival. My Smugglers kinda sucked, because Peddler lol; yaron made a couple of good tactical buys of Peddler over $5 to help that along. Well played by him.

ycz6 36-32 yaron
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-110433-d007380e.html
An very interesting game where yaron got 10 Fool's Golds and I got 10 Scrying Pools, both supported by Spice Merchant openings. I ended up getting to the point where I could draw my entire deck and play two Barons on the same Estate, but even so barely scraped by with first-player advantage and a weird Duchy/FG/Scrying Pool three-pile. Maybe I should have gotten more Conspirators? More Barons? Havens?? Dukes???

yaron 48-52 ycz6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-111532-e581dd8f.html
yaron went hard for JoaT/Duke in a Colony game with Peddler, Salvager, Grand Market AND Swindler, which I thought was a huge mistake, but this game ended up being distressingly close anyway. He bought his first Duchy on turn 4 (!) without any +Buys, while I loaded up on Schemes and Salvagers to move into the Peddlers and Grand Markets. Pretty tactically challenging game; I like my turn 19, where I Scheme a Peddler and Salvager onto my deck. Three-piled on Duchies, Great Halls, and Peddlers for the win.

yaron 39-30 ycz6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-112234-0411a20d.html
A straightforward BM game with Moneylender. He got a Rabble; I got a Council Room and Ventures. I thought about going for Gardens with Pawn/Secret Chamber, but figured it would be too slow and that Rabble would make things ugly... oh well.

ycz6 50-29 yaron
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-112915-aae7ebb7.html
I went for Cartographer/Wishing Well with Bishop against yaron's Tunnel-heavy strategy. This game ended up being the only one where the point difference was more than a single Province swing. Wishing Well is great.

yaron 35-33 ycz6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-114105-f8664e57.html

It's going to take me a while to get over this game.

Ambassador/Swindler/Throne Room. Sea Hag was the only card never gained. Shanty Town was bad and swingy. yaron won with an extra turn when all my Throne Rooms collided at the top of my last shuffle and all my Golds hid at the bottom. My rational brain tells me that my Swindler choices were less than perfect and that my early-game Ambassador luck was pretty good, but... ugh. Not how you want to be eliminated.

Congrats to yaron, though; you played great and deserved the win. Best of luck against julie/michaeljb in the next round. Go kick some ass for the name-begins-with-a-lowercase-y team.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:03:32 pm by ycz6 »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2012, 06:44:11 pm »
+3

Intense match. Beyond Awesome wins against eigensheep 4 to 3

Game 1: eigensheep 31 Beyond Awesome 41--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-140717-7bcef64e.html--This is a scary board. Mountebank and KC are both on it. My most immediate thought is that I need to hit my opponent with a KC'ed Mountebank and hope to God, he doesn't hit me with one. So, at some point, I pick up a Watchtower and my opponent picks up a Watchtower. Tribute is the only source of +actions, but it works out. Along, the way, I get some Monuments, same for my opponent. We both hit each other with a KC'ed Mountebank when curses are out but Watchtower deflects the damage. I start greening a little earlier than my opponent, and I think that is what caused me to won. Either that, or I just got lucky. Not sure. Probably luck. Looking back at the log, I notice my opponent has 4 curses, and I have one. That probably also helped me get to my key cards quicker.

Game 2: eigensheep 39 Beyond Awesome 36--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-141353-6ba5230c.html--This is a big money embassy board. My opponent has first player advantage here. But, at one point, I make a major screwup and forget to Farmland my Border Village. Still, though, the game comes down to the wire. Eigensheep wins.

Game 3: Beyond Awesome 31 eigensheep 34--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-142222-9273708b.html--Another close game. But, I did have first player advantage, so there. Mountebank is on the board again. We both get a 5/2 start, both opening Mountebank/Cellar. Simply, put, my opponent played this game better than me. Although, it was an intense game. And, I felt we both played well. My opponent gets a second Remake much earlier than me, which I pass on a few times, thinking to myself that I should probably get that second Remake. I should have probably listened to my gut. Oh well.

Game 4: Beyond Awesome 39 eigensheep 16--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-143420-3e337d05.html--I win this game in a landslide, probably due to first player advantage. I win the Minion split and then get a ton of Grand Markets. My opponent mostly snags Treasury. It was pretty clear to me anyway that after I started buying 2 GM's a turn that I had this one in the bag. Not even close.

Game 5: eigensheep 31 Beyond Awesome 25--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-144719-5468f271.html--Here we have the classic example of the engine that never took off. Minion is present as is Hamlet/Caravan/Hunting Party/Smugglers and some other goodies. We both tried to build engines going for Minion first. At one point, two piles are out, Hamlet has 3 cards left. We are both very close on points, so we both start greening. We go back and forth, the lead constantly changing. Sometimes I am up on points, sometimes my opponent is up on points. At the end, my opponent gets a sort of mega turn off and wins. Still though, it felt like an intense and close game.

Game 6: Beyond Awesome 50 eigensheep 40--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-145444-b05723c1.html--Here I get a little bold and risky. My opponent has 3 games won. I only have 2. So, I decide to do something crazy. Hoard is on the board as is Monument. It is the safe strategy. But, I realize that if I go for that strategy, so is my opponent. I do have first player advantage, but I also realize that things can come down to shuffle luck, so I decide to go for a different strategy altogether than the obvious strategy. I open Shanty Town/Bridge. My goal is to get as many Peddlers as possible, at some point get a Hoard, get another Bridge, buy some Monuments, more Shanty Towns and hope it works. Well, it does, somehow, and I end up winning.

Game 7: eigensheep 25 Beyond Awesome 49--http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-150718-3f7f56b9.html--This is another landslide victory for me, and this time, I am in the player 2 seat. I decide to build an engine. Apothecary, University, Lab, and Margrave are on the board. So, I build my deck around those. Hoard is also on the board, I pick one up, and that ends up being a good decision since I almost end up drawing up my entire deck each turn. My opponent doesn't buy a single University, maybe deciding not to go the same strategy as me. As a result, I am able to get 10 Labs very quickly and uncontested. I also have the draw power from two Margraves and the +Buy it gives, and well, I also have a lot of money thanks to Hoard, and I end up winning this game fairly easily.

Thanks eigensheep for an intense match!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:45:48 pm by Beyond Awesome »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »
+2

Round 2: soulnet 4 vs witchdoctor83 0

We played identical starting hands, totally random Kingdom except no Tournament, Black Market or Possession and point counter enabled (although I think we just used it to see the score, at least I did).

witchdoctor83 had the first player advantage for the first game, so he started all four.

I enjoyed the games, although I did not like how I played them. I also think witchdoctor83 did not play optimally, with some important mistakes, but definitely better than what I would expect for a level 6 on Iso. I had to mantain focus to be able to win, would have lost a couple of games if I just played fast and pseudorandomly, even followign the right strategy. Many mirror games make me think we may not be as differently skilled as our levels in the picking a strategy part. Also, I liked his opennes to post-game analysis, and his insights when doing it.

Game 1: soulnet 69 vs witchdoctor83 49 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-151615-65afae98.html

cards in supply: Adventurer, Colony, Contraband, Counting House, Hoard, Horn of Plenty, Inn, Loan, Market, Nobles, Platinum, and Smugglers

No really exciting action, especially nothing that would take us up to Colonies. Strange game for Colonies, probably because had almost every prosperity card from the weaker part. Of course this was going to be BM plus support, and I chose the better support. We both open Loan/Silver and are lucky trashing mostly copper in the first turns. We diverged in the first $5 buy, I go for Contraband and he goes for Market. I think Contraband is fine because I want both Hoard and Gold, and later, he would not know weither to ban Plat or Gold or Plat or Colony. And if I get Hoard in play, I want to buy Nobles and gain Gold, but he does not know if I have Hoard when banning. This clearly helps, and I am able to pick Hoards, Golds and the first Platinum a lot before him. He does have an advantage on Markets which are great for the endgame in case of ties, but since I'm getting a lot more Nobles, I think I would mantain the upper hand here. He Smuggles a couple of my Golds but I smuggled back the Markets. I wanted to pickup Nobles+Gold instead of just Gold with $6 because the +3 Cards would really help me get to Colonies if I manage to get a lot of Golds (which I did) and not necessarilly a lot of Plats. Also, the fatter deck I have when builiding up to Colonies level makes collision less likely, and since colliding Nobles is not bad, I can stock up on them much more than Smithies in BM+Smithy, which is known to be good. In the end this was absolutely correct, and I end up buying 5 Colonies and a Province with only 1 Plat (and 11 Golds). In this game the small buy important difference in strategy prevailed, as the Contraband > Market snowballed a lot, because of a longer game than just Provinces.

1 - 0

Game 2: soulnet 18 vs witchdoctor83 4 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-154157-2981c52d.html
cards in supply: Fortune Teller, Merchant Ship, Minion, Native Village, Oasis, Rabble, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Steward, and Torturer

Of course Torturer chain.
What about Minions?
Are you crazy! Torturer chain! Note the Steward!
But Minions are really good in a trim deck...
But is horrible to discard Minions! Go Torturer!

After doing this in my head for a while, I go NV+Torturer, and my opponent does the same (maybe with less Minion thought, I don't know). I open Steward/Spice Merchant and he SM/Silver. I want to get the first play of torturer ASAP, and if I draw badly, I can just buy NV. This proves to be a little better, since I get a good chain going quickly, and even when he gets his/hers, I'm already drawing my deck confortably so I just trash every Curse I need to take (and I'm pretty confortably drawing my deck, so I discard a few times but just to keep the Curses alive, because I feel I have a better chain).

However, we both fail on building an economy and I quickly run out of money when having only a Silver and the Steward for cash. Probably really bad play on my part. He still has some Coppers, but is not quite drawing his deck, so I get a Silver and then Immediatly start going Gold. After a while, I go green and buy a Salvager to accelerated and get +Buy (NVs and Torturers are low and Curses are gone, and I'm drawing my deck no problem, so if I get some more Golds, I probably can go double province). I start salvaging Torturers and buying more money and provinces, while he is struggling a bit, not a bad deck, but not as powerful as mine, since he had to eat up and trash more Curses (he does trash every Curse eventually). Here comes the Tactical game, I have >12 point advantage, and he has only 3 buys tops, so I leave just 1 Torturer and 1 NV (Curses are already gone) and afterwards he fails to notice the 3-pile (he said on the chat afterwards), which I do to close the game. I think I would have won confortably just draining the provinces, maybe salvaging provinces to accelerate, buy WanderingWinder told me that I should win in the first opportunity I see to do it, and I believe him.

2 - 0

Game 3: soulnet 39 vs witchdoctor83 23 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-155655-27954bc9.html

cards in supply: Bazaar, Bridge, Highway, Menagerie, Minion, Nomad Camp, Potion, Remake, University, Vineyard, and Watchtower

This has a lot of engine potential. A lot. But the only drawer is Watchtower. I think about going Remake for cleanup, then maybe University, Highway, Bridge, Watchtower, but I feel its slow and Remake+Minions can be fast. After that, we get 5/2 openings, and I do not want to open Remake/-, so I go Minion. He goes with a Highway, which I think is a mistake because any engine here wants University, and with universities you want Bridges. And also, a Highway at the beginning is nothing useful. After that, I play a simple Minions + Remake + some money, to keep it simple, and it works. I eventually add Menagerie after I start greening, which also works nicely because Minions disappear and we cosntantly have 4 cards hands. He tries to build an engine without any +Cards, and fails, ending up with something similar to my deck, but smaller with a couple of not so useful cards like Highway, Nomad Camp and Potion. He almost gets 5 VP Vineyards, but not commiting to it, getting just one Potion and contesting me for the Provinces (which brings the end closer), which makes him lose the game.

I still feel like University + Anything + Vineyards may get 6 or 7 VP Vineyards easily and maybe even get a couple of Provinces by the end, but I still went for a deck full of Silver and Minions, trashing with Remake.

If you have any comments especially on this game, I would appreciate it.

3 - 0

Game 4: soulnet 33 vs witchdoctor83 32 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-160923-ccab7b8f.html

cards in supply: Apprentice, Bishop, Cache, Hoard, Mining Village, Minion, Potion, Spice Merchant, Transmute, Treasure Map, and Wharf

I feel we both played this one really bad. We open 5/2, he opens Minion (probably biased from last game) and I go Wharf, because one Minion is not taking me anywhere, and Wharf will get me Minions. In retrospect, I think this was correct, but Wharf+Minion does not strike me as anything impressive. We race for Minions and I buy a Hoard on a 6, hoping to go Duchies soon and then Apprentice, but the game is fast and we never get to it. I buy a Bishop to have some advantage in the endgame, which works, and buy the penultimate province while being 1 point ahead. He does have a Wharf, but we do not have decks good enough to make Province+Duchy likely (I was second, so Province+Estate also makes me win). In the first opportunity, he suicides by buying the last Province. He said he wanted to put himself out of his misery, although I think there was a low but reasonable enough chance for he winning by buying a Duchy (I actually had a very bad draw and had only $1 in hand, so I had to pass).

I think the board was nothing too special, but also not that bad, but our game was horrible. I suspect we both felt that with the match 3 - 0 everything was decided, so we did not try as hard.

4 - 0

Thanks for the games!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »

Game 3: soulnet 39 vs witchdoctor83 23 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/10/game-20121210-155655-27954bc9.html

cards in supply: Bazaar, Bridge, Highway, Menagerie, Minion, Nomad Camp, Potion, Remake, University, Vineyard, and Watchtower

This has a lot of engine potential. A lot. But the only drawer is Watchtower. I think about going Remake for cleanup, then maybe University, Highway, Bridge, Watchtower, but I feel its slow and Remake+Minions can be fast. After that, we get 5/2 openings, and I do not want to open Remake/-, so I go Minion. He goes with a Highway, which I think is a mistake because any engine here wants University, and with universities you want Bridges. And also, a Highway at the beginning is nothing useful. After that, I play a simple Minions + Remake + some money, to keep it simple, and it works. I eventually add Menagerie after I start greening, which also works nicely because Minions disappear and we cosntantly have 4 cards hands. He tries to build an engine without any +Cards, and fails, ending up with something similar to my deck, but smaller with a couple of not so useful cards like Highway, Nomad Camp and Potion. He almost gets 5 VP Vineyards, but not commiting to it, getting just one Potion and contesting me for the Provinces (which brings the end closer), which makes him lose the game.

I still feel like University + Anything + Vineyards may get 6 or 7 VP Vineyards easily and maybe even get a couple of Provinces by the end, but I still went for a deck full of Silver and Minions, trashing with Remake.

If you have any comments especially on this game, I would appreciate it.

3 - 0

On game 3, University/Vineyard was the dominant strategy. No question about it. If your opponent had invested more heavily in potions, he would have won, I am pretty sure. University/Vineyard is a strong strategy period, but with Minion and such, yikes!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:31 pm »

On game 3, University/Vineyard was the dominant strategy. No question about it. If your opponent had invested more heavily in potions, he would have won, I am pretty sure. University/Vineyard is a strong strategy period, but with Minion and such, yikes!

I've never bought a Vineyard in a game, and I also never saw a University-Vineyard game, so I do not yet have a good grab on how fast would it be. Since my feeling was just gut, I was more confident to go with a strategy I am familiar with.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:05 pm »
+4

DWetzel (16 seed) vs. czechvarmander (17 seed)

In which we feature:

Various wild enginey games with lots of alt VP (games 2, 5, and 6 are all fun for alt-VP lovers)
Horrific luck for both players in at least one game
An epic comeback by me from 3-0 down (losing 3 games as first player) to force a deciding seventh game... highlight spoiler to see what happened, or read below.

DWetzel wins series, 4-3 (9-17, 28-35, 18-33, 30-14, 64-62, resigned, 9-(-3)

Game 1: DWetzel 9 - 17 Czechvarmander (0-1)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-181028-05e20dbb.html

A very interesting board with Wharf/FV/Ambassador/Lighthouse/Minion, made considerably less interesting when I open Ambassador/FV and draw neither of them on Turns 3 OR 4.  His Amb/Amb opening collides on T4 but after that they really don't, and even though I get the first two Wharves it doesn't matter because he's soon shipping crap back at me every turn including 2 curses a turn through most of the late game and I can't put a village and a wharf together to save my life.  He could have ended it a turn sooner on piles I think but got there soon enough.  Very very well played by him but I feel I got hosed here by luck.

Game 2:  DWetzel 28 - czechvarmander 35 (0-2)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-182143-b80372f8.html

Another very interesting board with Duke, Silk Road, Young Witch (Fortune Teller bane), Workshop, and Governor as the highlights.  My YW purchase missed the opening shuffle, AGAIN, sigh.  Still I win the Silk Road split 5/3 early on (good) but lose the Duchy split 5/3 (bad). I was $1, or 1 VP, or him not hitting the nuts in his hand to tie/take the lead, from winning like 4 or 5 times and couldn't pull it off.  Most frustrating game I've played in a long time.

Game 3: DWetzel 18-33 czechvarmander (0-3)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-183042-e4635df3.html

Spice Merchant/Swindler maybe wasn't the optimal opening for me (he went Silver/Masq), but I had a plan.  That plan went awry when I drew $4 with Swindler (hit an Estate, bought a second Spice Merchant), $4 turn 4 (Masq), and Spice Merchant/Spice Merchant/Swindler/C/C on Turn 5 just in time for him to Masquerade me.  A minor problem, until my Spice Merchant drew Estate/Masq and left me with a hand of SM/Swindler/Masq/Estate/Estate.  Yeeeeeeeeah, gg.  I think it was probably a bad idea on my part anyway, my worst played game of the set.

Game 4: DWetzel 30-14 czechvarmander (1-3)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-183533-e84dc73b.html

Key cards: Apprentice, Salvager, Chapel, Treasure Map(!)  I got pretty lucky with what I think was a rage-induced T1 Nomad Camp opening hoping to hit $5 that didn't work right away to get me $5 but enabled me to get two early Apprentices.  He went the Silver/Chapel/buy Treasure Maps with super thin deck route but despite my farting around I beat him to the TM combo.  Buying 6 Provinces (trashing one on the last turn) in 13 turns was pretty quick so I had to have done something right, but had to be lucky too.

Game 5: czechvarmander 62-64 DWetzel (2-3)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-184147-d0637dfb.html

Neat game. Silk Road/Ironworks/Talisman with a supplemental Tactician rush barely beats an Embassy/Monument/BM/Colonies setup.  I'm really not sure if the rush is a good plan on a Colony board but it scraped across the finish line just in time.  A turn 7 6 Platinum (aided by Tactician on turn 6 5) and a second Platinum on turn 8 was kinda handy to buy, well, anything I needed while Ironworks snapped up the other bits.

Game 6: (resigned) czechvarmander - DWetzel (win) (3-3)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-185256-d462ade5.html

In which I bust out the little-used Talisman/Pawn opening on a fun Vineyards board that had Chancellor/Oasis/Pawn for cheap actions.  A Talismanic four potion buy on T7 made it clear where I was heading.  Not quite sure what czech was doing here with a Horn of Plenty purchase on a board without many +actions at all, but I think he'd say this was his worst game in terms of strategy.  He resigned when I was most of the way to clearing out Vineyards (worth 6 each at that point) with a decent lead and he was trying to play one Bishop a turn and buying not much.

Game 7: czechvarmander (-3) - 9 DWetzel (3-4)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/11/game-20121211-190801-94dbb7ef.html

Complicated engine Colony game with City/Steward/Stables/Mining Village/Ghost Ship/Torturer/Quarry/Trade Route for +buy as the featured players. Nothing to say really here, I hit a really good T3/T4 and he hit Steward/CCCC twice early on and that kind of hosed him.  From there it was just a matter of building my engine to draw my deck, adding a Trade Route (and later on a second one) for an extra buy to make Quarries happy, and piling out at the right moment.  I think I played this really well but, in the flip side to Game 1, he didn't have a chance when I drew well.

Thanks to czech for the games and for putting up with me being a bit grouchy midway through.

Stef is up next, which probably means my luck is about to turn again.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:54:00 pm by DWetzel »

czechvarmander

• Swindler
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »

Can I file an official petition to have the series remade to best of fives? :p

Or can I pretend that I went up 3-0 then lost on purpose to avoid getting swept by -Stef-?

No? I can't do any of that? Oh well, hats off to DWetzel for outplaying me (badly in the latter games) and best of luck to him going forward. A deserved win from a very strong player.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:06 am »

Can I file an official petition to have the series remade to best of fives? :p

Or can I pretend that I went up 3-0 then lost on purpose to avoid getting swept by -Stef-?

No? I can't do any of that? Oh well, hats off to DWetzel for outplaying me (badly in the latter games) and best of luck to him going forward. A deserved win from a very strong player.
I lost to dwenzel 3-4 with me getting first to 3 wins too. Congrats to him to some very well played games. I'll let him post the logs.

Best of luck for dwenzel at later rounds in the tournament!

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2012, 02:23:03 am »

He's the like san francisco giants of dominion. Expect a sweep in the next round.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.